PDA

View Full Version : Steve Mariucci works out Gabbert/Ponder, Incognito helps out

Spesh
03-30-2011, 09:09 PM
Throws:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f00f87/Game-Changers-The-QBs-hit-the-field?module=HP_video

Film room:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f00f86/Game-Changers-QB-film-study

While throwing, Mariucci kept praising Ponder's footwork during throws and Gabbert seemed to quickly correct mistakes. At the end, Mariucci said Ponder has great mechanics but seemed to, in my opinion, absolutely gush about Gabbert.

Richie Incognito handled snaps.

JC
03-30-2011, 11:27 PM
That video was awesome. I would definitely be happy with either guy, but it's probably more likely that we end up with Ponder.

sinPHIN
03-31-2011, 01:33 AM
great vids. im warming up to ponder but right now still dont think he is a franchise qb. the film from the combine makes me worry. just like mariucci said pointed out he needed to get the ball out. but he was probly just trying to have a good pass for scouts. and another thing is arm strength. alot of people say its stronger than people think, but imo no its not. he isnt pennington, but he is just a notch above him imo, which isnt bad but not good imo.

TedSlimmJr
03-31-2011, 04:04 PM
That's really a great piece with Mariucci..

I like that he's stressing to these guys the importance of creating seperation from the LOS with their initial step, which is something spread quarterbacks who operate primarily from the shotgun struggle with, and it's why you saw Gabbert have to be corrected on it, whereas Ponder naturally had a quicker, deeper, and more accurate drop because it's something he's been doing as FSU playing in a pro style system. Speeding up the drop and creating initial seperation from the LOS is also something you see Cam Newton needs a ton of work on...

Mariucci mentioned something that I've talked about in another thread regarding "climbing the pocket", and remaining a PASSER when escaping pressure, although he referred to it as "attacking the line of scrimmage".. which is the same thing except you're doing it outside of the pocket. Coach also pointed out the negatives of turning your back to the defense, which I also talked about with scrambling quarterbacks.. they tend to overreact to pressure and will turn their back to the defense in order to escape. I don't like to see that at all...

In the film session coach talks about the different "check with me's" based on the technique the DB is playing, although Gabbert didn't see a lot of press/bump-and-run coverage in the Big-12, unless he was facing Nebraska, Oklahoma, or Colorado. He's going to see it a LOT more in the NFL.

I like that he made Gabbert critique himself and explain why he's always leaving a perfect pocket too early. The play resulted in a touchdown against Colorado because of a busted coverage, but he's not going to see busted coverages in the NFL if he leaves the pocket too early like he did at Missouri.

The last thing he talked about with Ponder was how critical it is to be able to "read" a defense (pre-snap), especially when you're playing in a pro style offense, and required to sell play action fakes where you have to turn your back to the line of scrimmage for a split second. It's important to have a picture of the defense in your mind's eye so you know where defenders are, and where they're going. You have to be able to quickly turn around and locate the defenders, and assess the situation in an instant. This is the benefit of having 90% of your work done before the ball is even snapped (ala Ryan Mallett), but it's also what makes playing the quarterback position at the pro level so difficult for guys transitioning from pure spread offenses.

That's just a great piece right there by Mariucci...

ryanosaur2000
03-31-2011, 06:09 PM
They are lucky the Richie didn't flip out and maul Ponder and Gabbert :chuckle:. Nice video.

DKphin
03-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Those are the kind of things I wish the NFL network would do more of, instead of some of the fluff they have with most of the programming. Loved watching Mariucci, an old QB coach. I would be all over Ponder, if it were not for the injuries.

fins_rock
03-31-2011, 06:48 PM
Richie looks huge. The guy is a freakin monster.

DKphin
03-31-2011, 06:50 PM
I relly hope they keep him at OC. JMHO

emeraldfin
03-31-2011, 06:59 PM
Lets hope Richie snapping the ball to Ponder will be something we see alot over the next few years.

DearbornDolfan
04-04-2011, 02:35 AM

Yeah, my eyes popped. Dude looks a lot bigger without the pads, which is hilarious when you think about it.