PDA

View Full Version : Joined the Gym today.

WeVie
04-02-2011, 12:49 AM
So I finally broke down and joined the gym today. Working out at home sucks after a while. I have been doing P90X and Insanity. Before that I was running on the treadmill and lifting weights. I took about a year off between the two due to having to travel for work all the time.

Anyway, I plan to lift three days a week and and do cardio at least five days a week. I may do it twice a day sometimes or six days a week from time to time.

I just got back from the first trip to the gym. I did 2.25 miles on the treadmill @ around 21 minutes, 2.25 miles on the elliptical @ around 22 minutes, 6 miles on a bike @ around 21 minutes, and 5 minutes on the stair master @ about kick my a$$.

I'm not in quite as good of shape as I got when I lost all that weight before but I'm not far off.

I shall find my six pack if it kills me. At least that is my goal

Ricky_Fan34
04-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Training for FinHeaven March Madness next year?

WeVie
04-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Training for FinHeaven March Madness next year?

Oh Ya! Team WeVie wants to be in much better shape for the run next year and one can never start too early!

Steveo 90
04-02-2011, 04:17 PM
wevie you say you plan on lifting 3 days a week,do you plan on training your legs other than cardio,this is a very important key that most people do not realize

WeVie
04-02-2011, 05:29 PM
wevie you say you plan on lifting 3 days a week,do you plan on training your legs other than cardio,this is a very important key that most people do not realize

The plan is to do arms/shoulders, chest/back(lats,upper), and legs/back(lower). I have also decided to do some ab work at least three days a week too.

I am going to do this for a while a d see how it goes

Steveo 90
04-02-2011, 09:53 PM
good deal...........try and to weights on your legs at least twice a week,it really helps

WeVie
04-02-2011, 11:18 PM
good deal...........try and to weights on your legs at least twice a week,it really helps

Helps in what way? What I am really after is weight loss but I do realize that since the legs are the biggest muscles, then it's great to work them since it does burn quite a bit of calories.

JCane
04-02-2011, 11:30 PM
Helps in what way? What I am really after is weight loss but I do realize that since the legs are the biggest muscles, then it's great to work them since it does burn quite a bit of calories.

When you workout your muscles, you're releasing growth hormones...more commonly known as HGH. As you stated, the leg muscles are the biggest muscles in your body. So therefore, you're releasing more HGH when you do leg work. Training legs twice a week will actually help your upper body, abs, and everything else.

Most people HATE doing legs but you have to make yourself enjoy it. Squats, leg press, and dumbbell lunges are very important to me and my routine.

And I hope you're taking protein shakes before and after workouts, right?

If not, I can recommend some good stuff for you.

WeVie
04-02-2011, 11:53 PM
When you workout your muscles, you're releasing growth hormones...more commonly known as HGH. As you stated, the leg muscles are the biggest muscles in your body. So therefore, you're releasing more HGH when you do leg work. Training legs twice a week will actually help your upper body, abs, and everything else.

Most people HATE doing legs but you have to make yourself enjoy it. Squats, leg press, and dumbbell lunges are very important to me and my routine.

And I hope you're taking protein shakes before and after workouts, right?

If not, I can recommend some good stuff for you.

Recommend my friend. This is what I am taking but I would love to hear what you have to say. Oh and I don't mind doing legs. I love squats!

I take a GNC multivitamin. The sport one.
I take B Complex plus C
Fish Oil
500Mg of L-Glutamine

I take one scoop of whey protein and mix it with on cup of skim milk before workout and after.
I take one scoop of M5 Extreme creatine mixed with water about 45 minutes before working out but just starting this one this week but has great reviews from what I could find.

I pretty much got the nutrition aspect down. I kinda got the working out part down, but I am totally lost on the supplement game. Everywhere I go or most everything I read, nine times out of ten it will say something different.

One thing I think I want to change is the L-Glutamine. From what I have read, most people take around 5 grams of that so I am way off from that.

I also got this recommendation for a post workout mix I have been thinking about trying.

Post Workout

Protein/Carb Shake “This has about 350 Calories in it”

2 Tbsp. of NOW FOODS CARBO GAIN “This is the Malodrextrin”
1 Tbsp. of NOW FOODS DEXTROSE “This is Corn Sugar i.e. Pure Sugar feeds your muscles after the workout.”
1 Scoop of Optimum 100% Whey Protein
1 Tsp. of Creatine Monohydrate
1 Tsp. of Glutamine

Post Workout- Amino Acids with water

I take 2 scoops with 1.5L of water and drink this. I take Controlled Labs Purple Wraath.

JCane
04-03-2011, 12:08 AM
If you're looking to put on muscle and bulk up, you need to be taking protein shakes. The shakes aren't going to add muscle but they help with the recovery process. I typically take five a day. I have four whey shakes that I take and I have a whey/casein blend that I take an hour before bed.

The casein blend is slow releasing so this helps with muscle recovery while you sleep.

Amino acids are important and most people don't get enough. Fish oil is good...so it sounds like you have a lot of the vitamins, etc., down. The GNC multivitamin is something that I used to take daily and just stopped for no reason. I need to get back on it.

Your body is going to react differently to various proteins and preworkout mixes. I've been on so many protein formulas that I pretty much have mine pegged for what works best for me. Preworkouts are a lot different because your body will build up and immunity after a certain period of time...kinda like Tylenol PM. Once you've taken it for so long, it just doesn't work anymore.

What I usually do is by a standard bottle of whatever preworkout I desire. Currently, I'm on NO Shotgun. I'll take my preworkout mix half an hour or so before working out. I usually down it on my way to the gym. Once I finish a bottle of whatever I have, I'll "cycle off" for at least two weeks and let my system recover, then, I move on to a different preworkout such as Jack3d, Super Pump, White Flood, etc.

Is this the protein you're taking?

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Skim milk is good, but I prefer chocolate or vanilla soy milk depending on the flavor of protein I have. I don't know if you've ever had soy milk but it's great. I was a Vegan for a little more than two years. When I went back to eating meats, I kept A LOT of stuff from my Vegan diet such as soy milk. I can't even drink regular milk anymore. Right now I've been taking Dymatize protein mix. It seems to work well for me but I'm probably going to switch over to the Gold Standard soon.

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

WeVie
04-03-2011, 12:42 AM
I am looking to put on a little muscle but I have been trying to get most of my protein through the food I eat. In the mornings, I eat a 4 egg omelet with only one yolk. I put mushrooms, onions, green peppers, and deli sliced turkey in it as well. That get me around 30 grams to start the day off.

That is the only thing that is the same every day. I eat a lot of white meat with the occasional red thrown in there too. Lots of veggies. When I eat turkey burgers or sandwiches, it's wheat or grain bread.

I have never tried soy milk. I will grab some this week when I go to the store and try it out.

Right now the whey I have is EAS brand from Sam's Club. I had been looking at that Gold Standard believe it or not. I think I am gonna grab it next time. You have me intrigued about the casein blend. Are those shakes you mentioned those pre mixed shakes or ones you make from the whey and soy milk?

JCane
04-03-2011, 12:55 AM
They make casein protein mix that you can buy in tubs like the whey you buy at Sam's. But be warned, straight casein tastes AWFUL. That's why I buy a whey/casein blend. d-day turned me on to this stuff from xfmuscle.com. He said it was the best tasting stuff ever and he wasn't kidding. Literally incredible ****.

http://xfmuscle.com/product_info.php?products_id=11

WeVie
04-03-2011, 01:09 AM
I am gonna get me some of that. That would be great to take before bed as you said since it is slow releasing

Steveo 90
04-03-2011, 03:06 PM
thanks for the explo jcane,and also try gasparri myofusion.........awesome protein,i mix it with greek yogurt and granola..........

ROADRUNNER
04-03-2011, 03:15 PM
I want a Bacon sandwich...........http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/bacon_sandwich_bacon_vs_ham_vs_pork_chop-1.jpg

wow 3000 posts........

JCane
04-03-2011, 09:15 PM
thanks for the explo jcane,and also try gasparri myofusion.........awesome protein,i mix it with greek yogurt and granola..........

I've heard good things about the Myofusion. I'm actually pretty surprised at the number of people who recommend it since I thought it was a very generic brand.

I was in a rush one day after I ran out of protein and needed some ASAP. Ran into the local grocery store and grabbed a $15 bottle of the EAS Soy Protein.

*barf*

I've had two scoops of that **** in about two weeks. Then again, I took it with regular 2% milk once and water the next. Both times it was just horrible. I'm on my last glass of Dymatize and I'm gonna go back to the EAS tomorrow until I can order some protein Friday. I just hope my soy milk makes the EAS tolerable.

And that bacon sandwich gave my eyeballs heartburn.

WeVie
04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
I've heard good things about the Myofusion. I'm actually pretty surprised at the number of people who recommend it since I thought it was a very generic brand.

I was in a rush one day after I ran out of protein and needed some ASAP. Ran into the local grocery store and grabbed a $15 bottle of the EAS Soy Protein.

*barf*

I've had two scoops of that **** in about two weeks. Then again, I took it with regular 2% milk once and water the next. Both times it was just horrible. I'm on my last glass of Dymatize and I'm gonna go back to the EAS tomorrow until I can order some protein Friday. I just hope my soy milk makes the EAS tolerable.

The EAS is pretty bad. It just doesn't mix very well is my biggest problem with it.

Man my calves are sore from running last night. It's been a while since I have did much running.

Steveo 90
04-05-2011, 12:07 PM

*barf*

i also like the oats and whey from optimum nutrition,i seem to get a really good burn off that brand

WeVie
04-05-2011, 12:42 PM
So I lost ten pounds while doing P90X and Insanity. Since I joined the gym only a few days ago, (I have only been three times), I have lost three more pounds. All the cardio should pay off pretty quick. The way I got it figured, I think I need to drop close to 30 more pounds.

Steveo 90
04-05-2011, 01:39 PM
great start wevie.......also just a tip from experience,dont forget to mix up your routine
your body will adjust to your training and your results will drop off,besides it helps you from becoming bored and non motivated

WeVie
04-05-2011, 02:12 PM
great start wevie.......also just a tip from experience,dont forget to mix up your routine
your body will adjust to your training and your results will drop off,besides it helps you from becoming bored and non motivated

With my cardio, I am doing treadmill, elliptical, and bike each day. Example, last night I did 3 miles in 28 minutes on treadmill, 3 miles on elliptical in 29 minutes and 7 miles on bike in 30 minutes. If I continue to do that, would that be considered mixing it up?

I have been looking all over bodybuilding.com for a good weight training routine to do and holy s**t. There are like 500 posters with 600 different opinions. I am considering the Starting Strength program but I don't know for sure yet.

Steveo 90
04-05-2011, 02:24 PM
if you really like the cardio work thats great,just remember every machine will not be calibrated the same so your results will vary at the end of every session,i am a huge fan of interval training especially tabata interval training

check out this link

http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html
you will love the results if you put in the effort

WeVie
04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
if you really like the cardio work thats great,just remember every machine will not be calibrated the same so your results will vary at the end of every session,i am a huge fan of interval training especially tabata interval training

check out this link

http://www.intervaltraining.net/tabata.html
you will love the results if you put in the effort

This does look interesting. I like a really intense workout. That is what I liked about Insanity so much.

I don't really like cardio training. I just know that is the best and fastest way to get rid of the rest of this gut.

WeVie
04-05-2011, 02:44 PM
So I think I found something that I like. What do you guys think?

Squats 3 x 5, 1 x 10
Ham Work 3 x 8-10
Pullups 20-40 reps
BB Rows 4 x 6
Curls 2 x 10

DB or Incline Bench 2 x 5, 2 x 8
Dips 2 x 8
DB OH Press 3 x 8
Side Laterals 2 x 10
Skulls 2 x 10

Deadlifts 2-3 x 5
Leg Press 2 x 10 or 1 x 20
Chins 20-40 reps
DB Rows 3 x 8
Curls 2 x 10

Bench Press 2 x 5, 2 x 8
DB Flyes 2 x 8-12
Military Press 3 x 8
Side Laterals 2 x 10
Skulls 2 x 10

Workout on Mon/Wed/Fri/Mon and alternate workouts 1/2/3/4 etc...

WeVie
04-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Or maybe this one.

A simple 3 day routine. Each bodypart once per week. Each exercise 2-4 sets, reps 5-8.

Back/Bis

Deadlifts
A Row
Chins or Pulldows
Bicep Curl

Chest/Tris

Bench
DB or Inc Bench
Chest Dips
Triceps Isolation

Legs/Shoulders

Squat
GHR (Glute Ham Raise)
Military Press
Calf Work

WeVie
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I really like this one but it doesn't really fit the days that I wanna work out. I wanna try to take day 6 and 7 off.

Day 1

4x Squats: 5 reps
3x Ham Work: 8 reps
3x BB or DB Row: 8 reps
2x Bicep Curls: 10 reps

Day 2

4x Bench Press: 5 reps
3x Military Press: 8 reps
3x Tricep Isolation: 8 reps
2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Day 3

4x Deadlifts: 5 reps
3x Pullups: 8 reps
3x Leg Press: 8 reps
2x Biceps Curls: 10 reps

Day 4

4x DB or Incline Press: 5 reps
3x Chest Dips: 8 reps
3x Side Lateral Raise: 8 reps
2x Ab/Calf Work: 15 reps

Day 1: On
Day 2: On
Day 3: Off
Day 4: On
Day 5: Off
Day 6: On
Day 7: Off

Steveo 90
04-05-2011, 03:38 PM
honestly at this point i wouldnt be so regimented,just go and do 5-7(try different things every time and see not just what you like but how your body feels and reacts to them) different exercises,4 sets including one warm up on each until you start to see your strength coming back

also,do not be afraid to ask questions to people in the gym who look like they know what there doing........trust me they like giving advice :)
another thing,dont worry about how much weight you can lift,it will vary at times for different reasons and it really isnt important,its not how much weight you can lift,its how much weight you can lift correctly
and most importantly,technique and form.......make sure it is correct so you do not get injured

WeVie
04-08-2011, 07:59 PM
So when I went to the gym Thursday, I got them to check my body fat and it is 19.8%

I thought for sure it was higher than that. So I figure at that, if I can lose about 20 more pounds, that should get me right around 10% and at that it's possible I may be able to see a little abs. Of course if I workout right and eat right then I may not lose 20 pounds to get to 10%.

gunnerolsen
09-08-2012, 03:16 PM
Way to go WeVie