PDA

View Full Version : thought on Mark Ingram being 15th overall

mega-fin-love
04-02-2011, 02:08 AM
I know a lot of you think that picking a running back in the upper 1st round is not a good idea. After Ronnie being drafted so high and never really hitting expectations I can somewhat understand. I have been watching a lot of Mark Ingram footage and I happen to think he would be a good pick. Not only is he a stud player and the best in the draft at his position, he also fills our biggest need as far as depth goes this year. Lets face it. We most likely will have no quality backs on the roster. I am posting a link of his highlights but I actually think the best part is at the end when he gives a speech after receiving his trophy. He is the kind of player that you will always love. Zach Thomas comes to mind. Good footage. Good Player. I for one would not mind him being the 15th pick at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhTrxk4Nss

Ricky_Fan34
04-02-2011, 02:22 AM
hooshoops found some valuable information earlier today on Ingram. Apparently he has degenerative knee problem. That could drop his stock quite a bit, regardless of how good he may be. A knee problem for a runningback is never good news.

Here is the link to hooshoops' thread: http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?297354-i-can-t-believe-this-isn-t-on-here-already...

mega-fin-love
04-02-2011, 03:07 AM
hopefully thats not true. I really like the guy from everything that I have seen. Could just be some pre draft rumors to drop his stock. If healthy I would like to see him as a dolphin because I am not sold on any of the QB's

Chuck-182
04-02-2011, 04:44 AM
Unless that knee problem is for real I wouldn't be upset with picking him at 15 at all

flplaydoh
04-02-2011, 04:55 AM
I don't mind the guy I just think that he is a bit slow and that there some very good backs to be had in the later rounds, I hope we trade down and get back into the second round then we can snag a guy like Kendall Hunter and a Qb like Mallett or Ponder. I'm not crazy about Ingram but I definitely won't be pissed if we do get him.

vagrantprodigy
04-02-2011, 08:02 AM
He's not a fast guy, and his knee problem will only get worse. They are already talking about probable microfracture surgery. I wouldn't be comfortable in the first round at all, and maybe not even the second if the Dr's aren't 100% sure that the knee isn't an issue.

jlfin
04-02-2011, 09:16 AM
The problem with a degenerative knee condition at his young age is a longevity issue. He will likely have some good productive seasons, but the concern is that over time, the knee will break down and career will be shortened from a productivity standpoint.
If that is the case, then the 15th pick overall is too high a pick to invest in such a player.
Its too bad, because, by all accounts he's a solid player and person.

hooshoops
04-02-2011, 09:36 AM
He's not a fast guy, and his knee problem will only get worse. They are already talking about probably microfracture surgery. I wouldn't be comfortable in the first round at all, and maybe not even the second if the Dr's aren't 100% sure that the knee isn't an issue.

can you point me in the direction of where you got that from???

BARF
04-02-2011, 09:54 AM
you don't draft an rb in the first, most of the rb's that did good last year were undrafted, i say we get our rb in the 2nd or 3rd, i would draft the tackle from wisconsin, if we wind up trading down

Buff
04-02-2011, 11:11 AM
you don't draft an rb in the first, most of the rb's that did good last year were undrafted, i say we get our rb in the 2nd or 3rd, i would draft the tackle from wisconsin, if we wind up trading down

So you wouldn't want to draft the best rb in the draft at 15, but you would be happy to draft the 4th, 5th or 6th best rb. At 15, we may be getting the 3rd or 4th best qb & that would make you happy!

vagrantprodigy
04-02-2011, 11:15 AM
can you point me in the direction of where you got that from???
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42369377/ns/sports-player_news/

In that link Lombardi says he believes it's an arthritic condition that is very serious.

I can't find the link I saw about the probability of microfracture surgery at the moment, but I will keep looking for it, and if/when I find it, I will post it again.

dr.jake
04-02-2011, 02:19 PM
and cj spiller was the best back in the draft last year?

Show Me Your TDs
04-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Not with the news of his chronic knee condition possibility. I already was not down with selecting a RB in round one this just puts the icing on the cake for me. There are too many good backs that will be available in the 2nd-3rd round that can become full time starters. Ryan Williams is a back who we should target in a trade scenario or with our 3rd round pick.

hooshoops
04-03-2011, 11:46 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/42369377/ns/sports-player_news/

In that link Lombardi says he believes it's an arthritic condition that is very serious.

I can't find the link I saw about the probability of microfracture surgery at the moment, but I will keep looking for it, and if/when I find it, I will post it again.

yeah...no way can we take him at #15 if that arthritic condition is legit...i don't think we could even take him anywhere in round 1

state06
04-03-2011, 12:16 PM
So you wouldn't want to draft the best rb in the draft at 15, but you would be happy to draft the 4th, 5th or 6th best rb. At 15, we may be getting the 3rd or 4th best qb & that would make you happy!

sometimes the 4th or 5th RB holds more value than the 1st. i love Ingram but he has some pretty serious red flags now with this injury and would be a huge risk in rd 1. At positions like QB there are big drop offs in talent from rounds 1 and 2 to rounds 5 and 6.

Even undrafted running backs can contribute their rookie season. Blount and Ivory are two examples from last season. Adrian Foster was undrafted, as were Green-Ellis and Woodhead in NE. In this draft, i would prefer a trade down to regain a 2nd round pick. Take Mallet or Ponder with our 1st, a RB with our 2, and OG like Moffitt or Franklin with our 3rd. We could grab another RB around round 5-6 as well.

Roonnette
04-03-2011, 02:00 PM
The problem with drafting a running back high is, you only need 4-5 yards a pop.

jlfin
04-03-2011, 03:15 PM

I personally believe that the 3rd or 4th best QB's in the draft (Mallett, Ponder) have as good a chance of being franchise QB's as the 1st and 2nd best QB's (Gabbert, Newton). In fact, Mallett is best pure passer in this draft

FINOMINAL
04-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Mark Ingram= Willis McGahee. I think Ingram will be a productive back for a few years, knee problem and all. He’s got the vision, hands and resume to be around some team for a decent career. Hindsight, three or four years down the road, that draft position really doesn’t mean much. It’s what have you done. I would still beef up the offense to get the bang of the buck across the board, running backs, passing game etc. You can pick up one of those eight year monsters at fifteen, to me that’s value in the long run.

Tureo
04-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I like Ingram but if this news about his knee is true we cannot take him. We do need to get at least 1 RB. We don't know what they might do in FA. Maybe they sign a vet at RB and QB.

DearbornDolfan
04-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Not only is he a stud player and the best in the draft at his position, he also fills our biggest need as far as depth goes this year.

This is what I mostly disagree with, at least so far as it applies to pro football. Ingram was undoubtedly a stud in college ball, but he's one of those players whose physical tools don't translate to the NFL. He's short, too light for what Miami prefers, and FAR too slow (I'm pretty sure Ronnie would smoke him in a foot race); which in combination is going to result in a short and injury-riddled career. I have, and will continue, to maintain that if Miami cannot trade back and feels it has to draft a primary back in the first round, Daniel Thomas (Kansas State) is the far better fit. His size profile fits what Miami likes (5'11"+ and 230 lbs+) in its backs, he's well rounded (he obviously can run, but he was also called upon to pass protect and catch out of the backfield), plus he was the triggerman for K-State's own Wildcat offense (the highlight of which was a 70 yard TD pass).

Buff
04-04-2011, 06:18 AM
sometimes the 4th or 5th RB holds more value than the 1st. i love Ingram but he has some pretty serious red flags now with this injury and would be a huge risk in rd 1. At positions like QB there are big drop offs in talent from rounds 1 and 2 to rounds 5 and 6.

Even undrafted running backs can contribute their rookie season. Blount and Ivory are two examples from last season. Adrian Foster was undrafted, as were Green-Ellis and Woodhead in NE. In this draft, i would prefer a trade down to regain a 2nd round pick. Take Mallet or Ponder with our 1st, a RB with our 2, and OG like Moffitt or Franklin with our 3rd. We could grab another RB around round 5-6 as well.

I see what your saying, and I agree to a certain extent.

Its always a personal choice as to who, why etc, and yes, there are good rb's available later in the draft. Problem is, Miami dont find the good rb's later in the draft. They dont find good qb's later in the draft either.

I still think they take the bpa, and I hope that Ingram is available at 15. I can see a trade down, more than likely, and still pick up Ingram.

Does anyone actually have a link to the supposed injury concerns for Ingram? It's all rumour so far....

X-Pacolypse
04-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Unless you've got the next AP, Walter Payton, or Barry Sanders staring your right in the face you NEVER under any circumstances take a RB in the Top 15 picks. EVER.