PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins unlikely to draft Mark Ingram?

JonnyZ81
04-04-2011, 10:43 AM
That's what a CBS Sports report is claiming, that sources would be shocked to see the Dolphins take Mark Ingram. All the while, the Herald seems to be making a case for the Dolphins to draft Ingram.

Here's the link to the article (http://www.thephinsider.com/2011/4/4/2089486/sources-miami-dolphins-unlikely-to-draft-mark-ingram-will-privately). Heres the key paragraph:

The real news of the weekend, though, comes courtesy of CBS Sports draft analyst Rob Rang. Rang writes that "though sources throughout the league certainly recognize the Dolphins' need at running back, they'd be surprised if Miami took Ingram."

If the Dolphins have a huge need at running back and Ingram is the best back available in the draft, why would the Dolphins pass on him? Two reasons - and most of you are well aware of both already. One, there's a sudden injury concern regarding the health of Ingram's knee and possibly an arthritic condition that could be a long-term issue. And two, drafting any running back in round one that isn't an elite talent (think Adrian Peterson, for example) might be a poor draft philosophy.

Nublar7
04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
So reports say Miami is unlikely to draft Ingram or Mallett. So, who exactly would these sources not be surprised to see us draft? Unless these reports are just smokescreens.

JonnyZ81
04-04-2011, 11:08 AM
So reports say Miami is unlikely to draft Ingram or Mallett. So, who exactly would these sources not be surprised to see us draft? Unless these reports are just smokescreens.

hmmmm...good point. sure could be just smopkescreens.

NY8123
04-04-2011, 11:15 AM

At this rate I would be surprised if Miami drafts anyone according to the so called "Experts".

Adam First
04-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Total smokescreens. Unless they plan on drafting Mike Pouncey, it'll be Ingram.

rev kev
04-04-2011, 11:21 AM
That's what a CBS Sports report is claiming, that sources would be shocked to see the Dolphins take Mark Ingram. All the while, the Herald seems to be making a case for the Dolphins to draft Ingram.

Here's the link to the article (http://www.thephinsider.com/2011/4/4/2089486/sources-miami-dolphins-unlikely-to-draft-mark-ingram-will-privately). Heres the key paragraph:

Big surprse...

Akronfinfan36
04-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Smokescreen or not...I truly hope we do not draft a RB in the first round. This league is full of 'very solid' to 'very good' RBs that were drafted in late rounds. Drafting Ingram would be a bad move IMO...which would not necessarily be something that is unusual for the Dolphins.

VManis
04-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I'd be surprised if the Dolphins draft Mark Igram at 15 but I'd be more surprised if they told any reporter that they weren't going to draft him.

Elliott 1
04-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Smokescreens??????? What are you thinking?

Smokescreens are engineered by the team. These articles and sources were written by people and agencies who have nothing to do with the Dolphin organization.

The sources were quoted as being from around the NFL.

The reports may not be accurate, but to suggest they are smokescreens is laughable.

Unless a RB is the whole package and without the hint of a red flag, he isn't going to be drafted in the first round anymore.

Wake up and catch up with the times.

Ingram is slow, everyone acknowledges that. He isn't the whole package, and his knee condition may not be a full blown red flag, but it is a longevity concern. Again, not the full package.

Nublar7
04-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Smokescreens??????? What are you thinking?

Smokescreens are engineered by the team. These articles and sources were written by people and agencies who have nothing to do with the Dolphin organization.

The sources were quoted as being from around the NFL.

The reports may not be accurate, but to suggest they are smokescreens is laughable.

Unless a RB is the whole package and without the hint of a red flag, he isn't going to be drafted in the first round anymore.

Wake up and catch up with the times.

Ingram is slow, everyone acknowledges that. He isn't the whole package, and his knee condition may not be a full blown red flag, but it is a longevity concern. Again, not the full package.

Who do you think feeds these people and agencies their information? That is right, the buzz originates usually from the teams these people are covering.

hooshoops
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
the only reason mark ingram wouldn't or shouldn't be a 1st round pick is if the arthritic condition concerns are legit...saying mark ingram the actual football player and talent doesn't warrant an actual 1st round grade and pick is laughable...

C-HUCKS
04-04-2011, 12:37 PM
the only reason mark ingram wouldn't or shouldn't be a 1st round pick is if the arthric condition concerns are legit...saying mark ingram the actual football player and talent doesn't warrant an actual 1st round grade and pick is laughable...

There is no way the Dolphins should draft anything other then a QB in the first round. We made the mistake of passing on Aaron Rodgers for Ronnie Brown, and then we passed on Matt Ryan for Jake Long, as a franchise in such desperate need of a QB, we cant continue to ignore the position until the 2nd round or lower. I have been saying we need a franchise QB since Marino left. Is it really that difficult? To me it is simple just select the best QB still on the board with the !st pick. But what do I know, but I do know one thing, if I was the GM, it would be my 1 priority to draft a QB to lead us to the playoffs, And to those you say you don't need a star QB to win in this league, I say it is possible but rare. Most of the great teams today have great QB's. It makes me sick to my stomach that we had 2 picks in the top 3 yet we failed to draft a QB. To me that is absurd.

hooshoops
04-04-2011, 12:41 PM
There is no way the Dolphins should draft anything other then a QB in the first round. We made the mistake of passing on Aaron Rodgers for Ronnie Brown, and then we passed on Matt Ryan for Jake Long, as a franchise in such desperate need of a QB, we cant continue to ignore the position until the 2nd round or lower. I have been saying we need a franchise QB since Marino left. Is it really that difficult? To me it is simple just select the best QB still on the board with the !st pick. But what do I know, but I do know one thing, if I was the GM, it would be my 1 priority to draft a QB to lead us to the playoffs, And to those you say you don't need a star QB to win in this league, I say it is possible but rare. Most of the great teams today have great QB's. It makes me sick to my stomach that we had 2 picks in the top 3 yet we failed to draft a QB. To me that is absurd.

qb has to be priority #1...no doubt...my point is a healthy mark ingram does everything on tape to warrant a 1st round pick...

islandah
04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I for one will be disappointed if they draft Ingram at 15, for several reasons. First, the much discussed argument that you can get solid backs later and cheaper. Second, we had two reasonably good backs last year, and the ground game still stunk. Third, I don't think Ingram will transition to the nfl well. He's slow and small. Yes everyone compares him to Emmitt, but that's a big leap. For every Emmitt (1!) there have benn hundreds of RBs with that build and speed who never produced. Add the injury/arthritis concern, and it's just overpaying. I remember someone saying Reggie Bush was a "once in a decade" talent. Really? I don't get caught up in the hype.

I'd rather see either a bold move for a franchise qb, or trade back and get our 2nd back.

jdm07m
04-04-2011, 12:46 PM
good!

C-HUCKS
04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
qb has to be priority #1...no doubt...my point is a healthy mark ingram does everything on tape to warrant a 1st round pick...

I agree mark Ingram should be a first rd pick, just not by the Dolphins. WE need a QB and until we get one we are going to be stuck in the same cycle of medicore football. The only real answer is to draft a QB with the first pick, something Miami has not done since drafting Marino back in 1984. Its so hard to believe that we have not spent a #1 pick on the most important position in football , in over 25 years. That is the reason we haven't been to the Super Bowl in so long. And until we finally get a superstar QB, we will never reach the title game

Da Phinishisher
04-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Talent wise ingram is a first round pick. I feel bad he is a rb and that position is not a first round position anymore. It's a passing league.

Built2Win
04-04-2011, 01:20 PM
arthritic condition in his knee are you kidding me!?
this alone should have him falling to the second round..
If the dolphins don't select offensive line help or a qb it is going to be a long year..

flynryan15
04-04-2011, 01:39 PM
the only reason mark ingram wouldn't or shouldn't be a 1st round pick is if the arthritic condition concerns are legit...saying mark ingram the actual football player and talent doesn't warrant an actual 1st round grade and pick is laughable...

Have no fear our medical staff is evaluating this!

Built2Win
04-04-2011, 01:58 PM

it would be like dejavu all over again like the odrick pick
well gee he had a leg issue in college then 1 game and done for the year..

flynryan15
04-04-2011, 02:02 PM

And clearing Jake Grove despite his 626363 pre-existing injuries, and Smiley too!

beanh8er
04-04-2011, 02:05 PM

different leg and was a foot.

flynryan15
04-04-2011, 02:09 PM
different leg and was a foot.

Correct, but the stress fractures that sidelined him after the Buffalo game were a result of his surgery to repair a broken tib/fib at Penn St.

hooshoops
04-04-2011, 02:22 PM

that's what i'm worried about...

flynryan15
04-04-2011, 02:27 PM
that's what i'm worried about...

Just think cornfed!

MadDog 88
04-04-2011, 02:39 PM
Just think cornfed!

God, I hope not. :shakeno:

Vaark
04-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Just think cornfed!

Hey, there's a "cornfed" RB available (hopefully beyond the 1st rounds like 4 of the top 5 ground gainers this past season) who has the potential to turn out as well as cornfed Jake Long did, then I'm all for grabbing him!

flynryan15
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
God, I hope not. :shakeno:

As much as I like to pick on them it truly is a Catch 22! We suck so bad at QB, OL, TE, and RB no one player from those categories can make a huge impact. Draft Pouncey, and it is a minimal improvement because Henne blows and we have no RB. Draft Ingram and he is average because our Oline can't open holes, and out QB allows them to stack the box. Draft QB and he gets killed while developing behind our crap oline. Draft a TE and Henne is still throwing to him.

twg76
04-04-2011, 03:53 PM

No one is sure that there will be a franchise QB left on the board when Miami picks. The only two that are getting that kind of treatment are Gabbert and Newton. Mallett is billed as a strong armed QB (just like Henne was). Locker is billed as a mobile QB. Ponder is viewed as a game manager. No one knows who will pan out to be a franchise QB. But one of those, maybe even up to three, will still be available in the second round. So they just don't value at the #15 pick in the 1st round. It's a reach and a gamble.

Ingram has the all-around skills to be a good RB in the NFL. Rumors are rumors. Leshoure did well in his last season and is playing his cards right going into the draft. Williams already got hurt and battled back to still show he can be explosive. But Ingram is the only player to hold down his spot as the top RB in this draft. He's held on to that through injuries and rumors about his abilities. If Miami passes on him and reaches for a QB, they will roll the dice with whoever they draft. I don't want that. We don't need that on the team. Take the player who we need and deserves to be picked that high in the draft. Pick the guy that earned it. Ingram has earned it.

Elliott 1
04-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Who do you think feeds these people and agencies their information? That is right, the buzz originates usually from the teams these people are covering.

Wrong! Since when are Adam Schefter and Rob Rang puppets of Ireland??

http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/28241214

footsteps_falco
04-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Would be crazy if miami lands prince amukamara, i think were 1 or 2 serious difference makers on defense from possibly being the best in the league for a good 3-5 years

C-HUCKS
04-05-2011, 12:11 AM
No one is sure that there will be a franchise QB left on the board when Miami picks. The only two that are getting that kind of treatment are Gabbert and Newton. Mallett is billed as a strong armed QB (just like Henne was). Locker is billed as a mobile QB. Ponder is viewed as a game manager. No one knows who will pan out to be a franchise QB. But one of those, maybe even up to three, will still be available in the second round. So they just don't value at the #15 pick in the 1st round. It's a reach and a gamble.

Ingram has the all-around skills to be a good RB in the NFL. Rumors are rumors. Leshoure did well in his last season and is playing his cards right going into the draft. Williams already got hurt and battled back to still show he can be explosive. But Ingram is the only player to hold down his spot as the top RB in this draft. He's held on to that through injuries and rumors about his abilities. If Miami passes on him and reaches for a QB, they will roll the dice with whoever they draft. I don't want that. We don't need that on the team. Take the player who we need and deserves to be picked that high in the draft. Pick the guy that earned it. Ingram has earned it.
At some point this franchise has the eventually roll the dice and draft a QB in the 1st round. Of course it has risk involved but if we don't draft a QB we don't have another pick until the 3rdround. Also how has that conservative drafting of not picking a QB in the 1st round worked out for us for the last 15 years? At some point the front office has to has to take a chance on some young QB instead of playing it safe. The drafting a RB in the first round in Ronnie Brown didn't get us anywhere, why repeat the same mistake again, when we don't have a QB?