PDA

View Full Version : Draft Prospect: WR Edmond Gates from Abilene Christian University

BAMAPHIN 22
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/EdmundGatesweb_crop_340x234-1.jpg?1301931879

One thing that is predictable about the Miami Dolphins front office is that they are completely unpredictable. Just when you think you have them figured out, they draft Pat White.

Bill Parcells always preached big and strong guys, but then drafts White, who is none of those things.
Now that Parcells is gone, the Dolphins front office can focus on just finding good football players instead of just looking at the big and strong ones.

I would like to bring Edmond Gates to the front office's attention.

Gates is a 6'0", 192-pound wide receiver out of Abilene Christian University.

Earlier this offseason, the front office promised to improve the team's speed and overall athleticism.
Well, Gates is the perfect opportunity to do just that and at a reasonable price.

At the NFL combine, Gates ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds, which was best among WRs. He also had a higher vertical jump than top-ranked prospect Julio Jones from Alabama.

Now the first reaction to a WR like Gates is to compare him to Ted Ginn Jr.; however, you would be mistaken to do so.

Gates is bigger and stronger than Ginn ever was. Gates put up 16 bench reps at the combine, just one less than Jones and only two less than A.J. Green. Jones and Green are 6'3" and 6'4", respectively, and both weigh over 200 pounds. For Gates to be anywhere close to them is very impressive.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/654141-miami-dolphins-draft-prospect-wr-edmond-gates-from-abilene-christian-university

j-off-her-doll
04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Length hurts rather than helps on the bench.

But, I like Gates.

Fintastic2124
04-04-2011, 01:23 PM
what's his projected rounds? He seems like a good prospect, but it makes me wonder if he's so good, why he didn't go to a bigger college

datruth55
04-04-2011, 01:41 PM
what's his projected rounds? He seems like a good prospect, but it makes me wonder if he's so good, why he didn't go to a bigger college

He's been compared a lot to former alum Johnny Knox who I think was a 5th round pick. Same school, same build, same speed as Knox (Knox was a little faster and had a 1.47 10-yard split and ran 4.34 while Edmond had a 1.53 10-yard split). Both had big senior years but over their careers Edmond was more productive and leaves the school as the #2 all-time receiver I think.

Knox was a 5th round pick, I would guess Edmond will probably go in the 5th as well.