PDA

View Full Version : Megascience! Plans Unveiled for World’s Biggest Telescope

WeVie
04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Megascience! Plans Unveiled for World’s Biggest Telescope

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/dishes_by_night-1.jpg

Apparently, size does matters -- especially to scientists.

Plans were unveiled Sunday for the Square Kilometer Array (SKA), a $2.1 billion array of telescopes that will be the largest and most sensitive radio telescope in the world -- and may help understand such fundamental cosmic mysteries as dark energy and why the universe is the way it is

Signals from individual radios that make up the massive array of antennas, which is planned to cover one square kilometer of South African or Australian soil, will be combined to form one giant telescope. A decision on its final location will be made in 2012.

“The power of this new telescope project is going to surpass anything we’ve seen before, enabling us to see many more radio-emitting stars and galaxies and pulling the curtains wide open on parts of the great beyond that radio astronomers like me have only ever dreamt of exploring," said Professor Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell, prominent radio astronomer and president of the Institute of Physics, in a statement on the new plans.

They may find some life or evidence out there one of these days. Check it here. (http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/04/04/megascience-plans-unveiled-worlds-biggest-telescope/)

Arsenal WV
04-04-2011, 09:07 PM
Good!

Now we will be able to see the giant asteroid heading right for us.

WeVie
04-04-2011, 09:23 PM
At least will have time to blow it up now right WV.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/armageddon-1.jpg

Myles Fynch
04-04-2011, 09:28 PM
It's about the aliens, IMO. That's why the SDI program was fixated on intercepting targets heading towards planet earth, rather than those launched by our terrestrial enemies. It's only a matter of time before the reconnaissance teams that have been visiting us make way for the full invasion force. Tick tock tick tock.

WeVie
04-04-2011, 09:35 PM
It's about the aliens, IMO. That's why the SDI program was fixated on intercepting targets heading towards planet earth, rather than those launched by our terrestrial enemies. It's only a matter of time before the reconnaissance teams that have been visiting us make way for the full invasion force. Tick tock tick tock.

If that would ever to happen, we would be in big trouble. If they have the tech to get here, then they have the tech to do whatever else they want to do.

Myles Fynch
04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Cue Bumpus volunteering for sexual experimentation...

Rafiki
04-04-2011, 10:27 PM
If that would ever to happen, we would be in big trouble. If they have the tech to get here, then they have the tech to do whatever else they want to do.

There was a philosopher who said that any civilization to reach us from those distances would have to be friendly, as the technology would be so dangerous that an evil civilization would have likely destroyed itself.

I think that philosopher was probably way too optimistic.

tylerdolphin
04-04-2011, 10:33 PM
There was a philosopher who said that any civilization to reach us from those distances would have to be friendly, as the technology would be so dangerous that an evil civilization would have likely destroyed itself.

I like to think that any civilization that far along has probably advanced past "primitive" violence. Who knows though...it looks like however advanced we get we will never get past killing each other.

tylerdolphin
04-04-2011, 10:34 PM
At least will have time to blow it up now right WV.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/armageddon-1.jpg

Gotta see where exactly its gonna hit first. We might want to just let it hit if its gonna blow Iran off the map.

Myles Fynch
04-04-2011, 10:37 PM
I LOL'd at Spielberg saying he had a difficult time making "War of the Worlds" because he didn't think alien visitors would be hostile.

Go hug a tree, dude.

Gonzo
04-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Stephen Hawking has the opposite opinion.

Rafiki
04-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I like to think that any civilization that far along has probably advanced past "primitive" violence. Who knows though...it looks like however advanced we get we will never get past killing each other.

Technology can be stolen. And the main reasons someone would want to intrude on your area of the galaxy would certainly include things like colonization or resources.

Rafiki
04-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Stephen Hawking has the opposite opinion.

You're right and I agree with him. I also agree with him that colonization is the best bet for perpetuating our species.

Who knows? Maybe there's a guy just like him in some far away galaxy advising an invasion in our part of the Milky Way for exactly those reasons.

tylerdolphin
04-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Technology can be stolen. And the main reasons someone would want to intrude on your area of the galaxy would certainly include things like colonization or resources.

It would be interesting to see them if they did attack. Their technology would be way superior, but maybe we could exploit a weakness they may have on our home planet.

Rafiki
04-04-2011, 10:52 PM
It would be interesting to see them if they did attack. Their technology would be way superior, but maybe we could exploit a weakness they may have on our home planet.

LOL Like "war of the worlds" style?

We do have a good system for entrapping people. Maybe we should give them blow, booze, and loose women and see where it takes them.

tylerdolphin
04-04-2011, 10:56 PM

We do have a good system for entrapping people. Maybe we should give them blow, booze, and loose women and see where it takes them.

I actually learnt on the History Channel that they already had a taste of our loose women. They made Goliath in the Bible when they nailed some philistine whore. It was on the History Channel so Im thinking its true.

Also, Noahs Ark was a metaphor for an alien DNA bank. True story.

WeVie
04-05-2011, 01:28 AM
The problem that I have with anyone ever coming here is the vast distances.

The nearest star is 4 1/2 light years away. A light year is how far it takes light to travel in a year which is 5.87 trillion miles. That would mean it is traveling at 669600000 miles an hour! I just don't think that any technology could figure out how to go that fast or even faster. The human body could in no way handle anything close to that. Not even a tenth of that so I don't see how any other species could either.

Not think about a planet that is say 500 light years away. That would be 500 years of travel to get here at the speed of light!! Could it be possible that they could even live that long?

I know there are theories of worm holes and other things like that but to me it's hard to believe.

Myles Fynch
04-05-2011, 04:21 AM

Yeah, um, I wasn't going to say this but I'm from another planet... so if you just want to hand it all over we'll see where it takes me.

Phinatic8u
04-05-2011, 11:17 AM
My fiance once called me outta this world, does that count?

I am not a human being

:lol: