PDA

View Full Version : "Dolphins have a pre-draft trade agreement with Cowboys?"

NYPhin24
04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
http://www.phins-spotlight.com/2011/04/dolphins-have-pre-draft-trade-agreement.html

"According to a March 27 blog entry (http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5168) by DraftInsider.net, the Dallas Cowboys have a plan in place with an unknown team holding a "mid-first round pick" to trade down from the No. 9 spot if either one of the top two quarterbacks—Missouri's Blaine Gabbert and Auburn's Cam Newton—is available when Dallas is on the clock."

"While there is no confirmation that the Dolphins are that team, they seem as likely as any team to be when looking at the facts. Consider:

The Dolphins fit the description of holding a mid-first round pick, sitting at No. 15. The pick would be an excellent spot for the Cowboys to grab a right tackle prospect like Tyron Smith (USC), Anthony Castonzo (Boston College) or Nate Solder (Colorado).
The Dolphins' organization from top to bottom is littered with former Cowboys personnel, including general manager and decision-maker Jeff Ireland and head coach Tony Sparano.
The Dolphins have made past deals with the Cowboys as a result of their connections, including Miami's acquisitions of linebacker Akin Ayodele, tight end Anthony Fasano, and nose tackle Jason Ferguson.
The Dolphins are known to be looking for a quarterback in this draft, and have already had private workouts with both Gabbert and Newton. "
"Even without any hard evidence, I'd say there is a pretty fair chance that the Dolphins are indeed the team holding an arrangement with the Cowboys. While the team doesn't have a second-round pick, it's possible they could be offering the Cowboys the No. 15 overall pick, a their third-round pick (79th overall), and more to move up six spots."

KTDolphins
04-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Seems pretty costly for just six spots ahead of our current spot. If it will get us a good QB then i'm all for it, but damn we really need to quit giving picks away for nonsense.

footsteps_falco
04-04-2011, 03:31 PM
i would trade away the house to move up for gabbert. for newton, i mean i wouldn't be pissed but i think i'd just rather take ryan mallett for 1 pick rather then 2-3 picks and or players for newton.

normaniii
04-04-2011, 03:31 PM
more chance of saban coming back to coach

cyoung
04-04-2011, 03:33 PM
yeah, i'm not for giving away our third for Newton. Gabbert wont be there. I dont want to use our 15 on Newton. Hope this doesnt happen.

MRojas4
04-04-2011, 03:34 PM
So does that mean we get to ask Newton if his mom was a hoe?

Then again Newton's dad was the pimp.

ROADRUNNER
04-04-2011, 03:41 PM
I think it's a none starter..........

twg76
04-04-2011, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't rule it out. I really don't know what Sparano and Ireland will do. And I don't want to be against them even though I wish we had a different head coach. Oh well, if they do this, it will pretty much seal their fate on either Gabbert or Newton. It's very costly and will limit the rest of the draft. We'll see what happens.

If it were me, I'd try to trade the other direction for sure. If I couldn't, I would take Ingram at 15 and then try to get a QB in the late round of the draft. Ingram can get the running game going again and that will make Henne look better for another season. But I'm not the decision maker.

abNORMal
04-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Doesn't make sense if the Sparano/Ireland are in "win now or else" mode. Makes more sense for them to want to add Palmer or McNabb to compete with Henne. But if they feel like they will be here long term then that's a different story.

NYPhin24
04-04-2011, 04:20 PM
yeah, i'm not for giving away our third for Newton. Gabbert wont be there. I dont want to use our 15 on Newton. Hope this doesnt happen.

I agree, I want nothing to do with Newton who is the definition of a "boom or bust" player

Especially if it means giving up our 3rd round pick as well, this team has too many holes at important positions to have 1 pick in the first 3 rounds which is where immediate impact or contributing players are USUALLY found

mfish41
04-04-2011, 04:35 PM
they worked out newton so maybe they like him. perhaps this gives them the chip if this season goes down the drain? "hey we may have gone 6-10, but we have cam newton waiting in the wings"
I doubt either of them will be there though.

flynryan15
04-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Well it is the time of year the Cowboys fleece our FO and dump their trash on our lawn.

state06
04-04-2011, 04:47 PM
this would take balls...ill stop there.

sinPHIN
04-04-2011, 04:50 PM
i dont see this happening

foozool13
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
N o

jlfin
04-04-2011, 05:36 PM
So does that mean we get to ask Newton if his mom was a hoe?

Then again Newton's dad was the pimp.

That joke has grown stale. Need to start coming up with some new material.

jlfin
04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
IMHO I think Mallett and Ponder have as much chance of achieving NFL success than Gabbert and Newton. There are no sure fire franchise QB's in this draft (No Mannings or Elways) so why would any team make a huge sacrifice to move up in the draft to draft Gabbert or Newton?

newlownorder
04-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I don't buy it. Plus I think both QBs are gone by Cowboys pick anyways.

spiketex
04-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Both will probably be gone at that point.

MRojas4
04-04-2011, 08:00 PM
That joke has grown stale. Need to start coming up with some new material.

Actually my favorite was his heisman speech!

"I'd like to thank my parents who do alot behind the scenes that goes un-noticed"

LOL! Choice words.

Mr. Magoo
04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
There isn't enough time to negotiate these things while the clock is ticking so every teams has a bunch of these deals lined up well before the draft starts. There's only circumstantial evidence to support it but I'd wager the trade down with the Chargers was negotiated beforehand. I know we nearly traded down with the Eagles.

But the fact of the matter is, it shows a lack of seriousness of what it would take to get either guy. If you believe one of those guys is a franchise player, GO AND GET HIM! Do not try to hedge your bets by hoping one of them falls to #9.

I get the thinking: the Redskins need a quarterback. You have to be prepared to outmaneuver them. Well, the Redskins aren't going to rest on their laurels, either. Why wouldn't they trade up with someone else? Shanahan traded up to get Cutler in '06. Pretty good decision, I think. And it showed nerve.

If it takes an extra third round pick, or a second round pick, or... whatever it takes. If you get the right guy, it's worth it. As Ron Wolf would say... there is no such thing as overpaying for a franchise quarterback.

bryan
04-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I'm all for it if it means moving up for Mallett and leaping past the Vikings. My only glimmer of hope is thinking that with Marino as a QB consultant it might help tip the scale in favor of a pocket passer with a laser arm.....versus some scrambling Sparano type.

JBinSD
04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Seems pretty costly for just six spots ahead of our current spot. If it will get us a good QB then i'm all for it, but damn we really need to quit giving picks away for nonsense.

By nonsense, hopefully you don't mean the two 2nd rounders we gave for one of the best receivers in the league?

ry-dbar
04-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I like the idea of moving up to get a qb, just would rather do it next year to get Luck.

hooshoops
04-04-2011, 08:37 PM
ehhh...i posted this in the draft rumors thread weeks ago...

JBinSD
04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
ehhh...i posted this in the draft rumors thread weeks ago...

The Cowboys as a trading partner makes tons of sense, and could be extrapolated by what we know.

If there is a guy at #9 that they feel is the Franchise QB, go for it. I think the likelier scenario is that we trade down or take a 2nd tier guy at #15.

hooshoops
04-04-2011, 09:08 PM
The Cowboys as a trading partner makes tons of sense, and could be extrapolated by what we know.

If there is a guy at #9 that they feel is the Franchise QB, go for it. I think the likelier scenario is that we trade down or take a 2nd tier guy at #15.

i posted a while ago this very thing...the cowboys supposedly are looking to trade back to take an ot and the 2 names they were big on were tyron smith and gabe carimi...the boys have to be careful though cause smith i would think would be a major target for the lions at #13 if prince amukamara was gone and this was all before smith delivered a very good workout at his pro day...

what i posted weeks ago said a mid round team to trade up the dolphins stuff being attached makes sense but is speculation...and i doubt gabbert or newton get to #9

Kdawg954
04-05-2011, 02:51 AM
The team could very well be Jacksonville also

Mr. Magoo
04-05-2011, 03:02 AM
The team could very well be Jacksonville also

Gene Smith is well known for not liking to trade up and has already been quoted this offseason saying he probably won't. The Jags need help in the secondary and at defensive end. They could decide to trade up for a Prince Amukamara but I just sort of doubt it. Smith likes small school guys in the Cortez Allen or Buster Skrine mold.

Kdawg954
04-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Gene Smith is well known for not liking to trade up and has already been quoted this offseason saying he probably won't. The Jags need help in the secondary and at defensive end. They could decide to trade up for a Prince Amukamara but I just sort of doubt it. Smith likes small school guys in the Cortez Allen or Buster Skrine mold.

Don't know if he was GM in 2008, but wasn't he in the mix when Jville traded up from 18 to 8 in the 2008 draft to select Derrick Harvey? I figure if they have a QB they like in mind, they may be willing to do the same. That team has always done things a little different from other teams.

Definitely seems more realistic to believe Jville would trade up, over a team like Miami . . . who we know wants a 2nd round pick as they don't currently have one . . . and who we know doesn't have the track record of trading up and giving away picks in the process.

Maybe if we could throw a player in the mix, and maybe that will be possible by the time the draft rolls around, but without players involved I don't see Miami being so bold. I think any trade up is gonna require their first round pick next year and I wouldn't want to part with that in a trade up scenario.

Dallas trades #9 and #40 for #15 and our 2012 first (equal to the 21st pick on the draft value point chart). Miami gets their QB at 9 and regains a 2nd round pick in the top 40. Dallas gets their OT at 15 and have 2 first round picks in 2012, giving Romo one more year to lead them and they can contemplate QB in the next draft if need be as well as any other need in round 1.

Seriously, that is the trade up scenario . . . this #15 and #79 for #9 isn't happening. It would take our 3rd, 4th and 5th atleast to get done. Miami being a team that values their mid round picks . . . couldn't see that.

With the proposed trade up:

1. Blaine Gabbert - QB
2. Mikel Leshoure - RB
3. DJ Williams - TE

Seems appropriate for the Fins with the meetings/interest they have showed.

KTDolphins
04-05-2011, 04:20 AM
By nonsense, hopefully you don't mean the two 2nd rounders we gave for one of the best receivers in the league?

Really? What I was referring to was the AJ Feeley and Daunte Culpepper screwjobs that we wasted 2 2nd rounders to get, not to mention a few others. While it doesn't fall on the current regime, but damn am I sick of the FO wasting picks. With needs at RB, QB, TE, OL I would hope that they would be smarter with the picks this time around.

hooshoops
04-05-2011, 08:55 AM
jags could go qb a #16 but i'm not buying it...i think its 4-3 de...bowers if he's there aldon smith or kerrigan

the jags are said to really like andy dalton

DKphin
04-05-2011, 09:57 AM
What do they say, "One who does not learn from the past is doomed to repeat it." This is exactly a Dumbstadt move. Already being pick deficient, we are going to further lose picks rather than being prudent. I will lose all hope for this team if they start doing this again.

Geforce
04-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Don't know if he was GM in 2008, but wasn't he in the mix when Jville traded up from 18 to 8 in the 2008 draft to select Derrick Harvey? I figure if they have a QB they like in mind, they may be willing to do the same. That team has always done things a little different from other teams.

No. Gene Smith became Jacksonville's GM in 2009.

Kdawg954
04-05-2011, 05:29 PM
No. Gene Smith became Jacksonville's GM in 2009.

I know he was still in the Jacksonville organization if I'm not mistaken, high level scout guy or something . . . I'm sure his analysis played some factor in the team wanting Derrick Harvey at 8, and moving up 10 spots to get him. All I'm saying is, even that little tidbit would suggest they are more likely to trade up rather than this team, without a 2nd round pick . . . wanting to acquire a 2nd round pick and still trying to trade up. Just doesn't seem likely. This regime likes it's 1st to 5th round picks, I don't see them attempting to lose those picks unless there are players/starters involved like we did in 2008 with Fasano/Ayodele and giving up just a 4th.

This screams smokescreen . . . hell we still don't know why Jerry was sick, what was wrong with Crowder at the beginning of the year and why didn't Chad Henne go on IR after the injury in the Tennessee game. Crowder and Henne were supposed to be done for the year and Jerry was supposed to be good. Don't trust these guys for anything . . . they want to move down by any means necessary, unless a guy they love falls into their laps at 15.