PDA

View Full Version : Study Confirms it: We Suck at the NFL Draft!

BAMAPHIN 22
04-05-2011, 04:54 PM
26. MIAMI DOLPHINS
Number of picks: 42
Still on team: 18
Starters: 9
Best pick: OT Jake Long, 2008
Worst pick: WR Ted Ginn, 2007
Overall: Just two of 16 players remain from the 2006 and '07 drafts, including franchise nose tackle Paul Soliai. Long has lived up to expectations as the No. 1 overall pick in 2008 with three Pro Bowl appearances in three seasons. But the Dolphins' recent drafts are littered with players who did not produce the results expected from where they were chosen. Ginn was selected with the ninth overall pick in 2007. After three seasons, he was sent to the 49ers for a fifth-round draft pick. Other disappointments include cornerback Jason Allen (16th in '06), defensive end Phillip Merling (32nd in '08) and second-round quarterbacks John Beck ('07) and Pat White ('09).

Read more: Maiocco: Five-year study of NFL drafts (http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936#ixzz1IgTyUGMt)
Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

beanh8er
04-05-2011, 04:58 PM
... 3 regimes of drafting...

Kdawg954
04-05-2011, 06:04 PM
I would say Allen was worse than Ginn . . . remember this is a guy who was drafted as a safety . . . couldn't beat out Cam Worrell or Chris Crocker in 2007 . . . we had to keep switching him and eventually just let him go. Atleast Ginn did make plays for this team . . . hell as bad as he was, I definitely think at times he was missed in 2010. People can say otherwise, but we missed his threat on returns and his ability to stretch the field. This team was boring last year on offense, and a big reason for that was no Ted Ginn. Now an even bigger reason was not "replacing" the speed Ted Ginn brought . . . but we should have never traded him off if thats the case. Oh well.

To miss on Pat White and John Beck . . . 2nd rounders . . . one year and done . . . hurts like hell . . . also worse picks than Ted Ginn IMO. 3rd round WR busts Turner and Hagan causing us to use 2 2nd rounders on Brandon Marshall (an original 4th rounder I think) also sucks.

QB's and 2nd round picks have hurt us since 2004 . . . 5 picks used in 7 years . . . and still no viable answer, which is why the panic to draft a guy in round 1.

C-HUCKS
04-06-2011, 12:05 AM
It is pretty sad when we even screw up on our best pick Jake Long. The choice should have been a QB. When we were in such desperate need of a QB, the most logical choice should have been Matt Ryan. Why it is so difficult for this team to draft a QB in the 1st round is beyond me. Picking a Qb should not be that difficult, just with the first pick take the best QB available how hard is that. If we followed this strategy we would have had Ryan,Brees or Rodgers instead we continue to get stuck with 2nd round garbage such as Feeley(granted it was a trade),Beck, and now Henne. There is a reason they were still available in the 2nd round. Granted you may find a gem in the later rounds, but it is more logical to find one in round one! We really didn't do that bad with the last QB we took in round.

sinPHIN
04-06-2011, 12:40 AM
dont care what anyone says we have drafted well the last three years excluding the white and that usc wr (already forgot his name lol)

j-off-her-doll
04-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Seeing the Colts ranked at #3 was enough for me to stop reading. What a crock of ****.

Aqua and Orange
04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
No way Ted Ginn was worse than Pat White. Although Ginn was picked high and became a symbol of futility for this franchise, he at least is still in the league.

Hell, at least he is still in SPORTS.

MadDog 88
04-06-2011, 01:21 PM
The overwhelming majority were past regimes but the worst pick belongs to this one, Pat White.

C-HUCKS
04-06-2011, 02:04 PM
dont care what anyone says we have drafted well the last three years excluding the white and that usc wr (already forgot his name lol)

If we have drafted so well, then why are we the 3rd best team in the AFC east. If you really think we have a shot at making the playoffs this year, then you are the ultimate homer.

JC
04-06-2011, 02:13 PM
This current regime has done pretty well during the drafts.

spydertl79
04-06-2011, 03:05 PM
There is always a risk/reward trade off. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with Ginn at #9 or White in the 2nd round though... those two picks are absolutely horrible. I wouldn't say Merling was a bad pick just yet, he has been productive since he's been here even if he's a piece of **** wife beater.

Roman529
04-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I think this guy's ranking are pretty accurate. When you have a winning organization and have won the SB in the past two years like Green Bay and New Orleans, it is easy to rank them as #1 and #2. The Patriots are ranked at #9. They did a fantastic job between 2000 and 2005 with their drafts but haven't done that well the past five years, other than stockpiling a lot of picks. The better teams can afford to take a little more risks while the bottom dwellers have many more areas to fix. Hopefully the Phins can get a franchise QB and then fill in the rest of the pieces.

sinPHIN
04-06-2011, 03:23 PM
If we have drafted so well, then why are we the 3rd best team in the AFC east. If you really think we have a shot at making the playoffs this year, then you are the ultimate homer.

And you are a jackass if you think we are so far away. We are a couple pieces away from being a Damn good team. Stop being negative. If you think I'm a homer I don't give a ****. Look at facts we have drafted a bunch of decent starters the last few years. With exception to the white and wr picks. What else has been so horrible?

Roman529
04-06-2011, 03:25 PM
There is always a risk/reward trade off. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with Ginn at #9 or White in the 2nd round though... those two picks are absolutely horrible. I wouldn't say Merling was a bad pick just yet, he has been productive since he's been here even if he's a piece of **** wife beater.

I remember when they announced Ted Ginn, Jr. and I thought WTF???? I was sure it would either be Brady Quinn or maybe a linebacker like Patrick Willis. Taking Pat White and John Beck have also been real head scratchers. I would give us a C- or a D on our picks the last five years.

j-off-her-doll
04-06-2011, 03:44 PM
The Colts over the past five years have sucked at drafting. They're putting out teams that would be WELL below .500 if it weren't for P. Manning. Ranking them at #3 is a joke. Put Manning on Miami, and we're contending for a SB.

vagrantprodigy
04-06-2011, 04:24 PM
This regime isn't so bad at drafting. 06 and 07 are things I'd rather forget though.

Blake the great
04-07-2011, 04:41 PM
[B]

Read more: Maiocco: Five-year study of NFL drafts (http://www.csnbayarea.com/04/04/11/Maiocco-Five-year-study-of-NFL-drafts/landing_maiocco_v3.html?blockID=496960&feedID=5936#ixzz1IgTyUGMt)

Tune to SportsNet Central at 6, 10:30 and midnight on Comcast SportsNet Bay Area for more on this story

And its still a mystery to me why Finheaven is so OBSESSED with draft picks. Draft picks are so over rated. Id rather trade a 2nd round pick (I know we dont have one right now) for a guy like Carson Palmer (who doesnt compare to Daunte Culpepper or AJ Feeley) Palmer is much better passer then any of those clowns, those coaches/GMs who made those decisions just didnt know what they hell they were doing.

trading draft picks and bringing in a proven guy like Palmer would immediately help us make the playoffs. According to Finheaven 2nd round picks or all draft picks are like gold and that Miami will draft a young HOF player with every pick. so naive. We draft average players at best. Koa misi (average OLB) Sean Smith (average CB) Chad henne (average QB) Philip Merling (doesnt play) Palmer is an above average QB.

C-HUCKS
04-08-2011, 12:22 AM
And you are a jackass if you think we are so far away. We are a couple pieces away from being a Damn good team. Stop being negative. If you think I'm a homer I don't give a ****. Look at facts we have drafted a bunch of decent starters the last few years. With exception to the white and wr picks. What else has been so horrible?
I am just becoming very frustrated with this team. It seems like the front office has no direction one minute we are looking for a coach, then the next minute they gave the guy an extension..I am also basing my opinion on the fact that I can't even remember the last time the Dolphins won a playoff game. As a fan I want results, I am sick of hearing about waiting till next year. I am also sick of the fact that this team can't draft an All-Pro to save its life. Really is that freaking hard, to me its simple just use your first round pick on a QB. This is something that we haven't done in 25 years, and look at the player we missed out on Brees,Rodgers and Ryan. You can say everyone else passed on them too, yes that is true, but when you are a team in such desperate need of a QB, you have to take the best one available at that time, instead of drafting other positions. This team is in desperate need of some play maker, who can score and make plays, not just solid to average players, which we have been drafting the last few years. Beside Jake long name one All Pro on this team? And even with that pick I had rather have a pro bowl QB in Matt Ryan, then a All Pro OL? Can you even name the starting RT of the Green Bay Packers? I cant!

sinPHIN
04-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I am just becoming very frustrated with this team. It seems like the front office has no direction one minute we are looking for a coach, then the next minute they gave the guy an extension..I am also basing my opinion on the fact that I can't even remember the last time the Dolphins won a playoff game. As a fan I want results, I am sick of hearing about waiting till next year. I am also sick of the fact that this team can't draft an All-Pro to save its life. Really is that freaking hard, to me its simple just use your first round pick on a QB. This is something that we haven't done in 25 years, and look at the player we missed out on Brees,Rodgers and Ryan. You can say everyone else passed on them too, yes that is true, but when you are a team in such desperate need of a QB, you have to take the best one available at that time, instead of drafting other positions. This team is in desperate need of some play maker, who can score and make plays, not just solid to average players, which we have been drafting the last few years. Beside Jake long name one All Pro on this team? And even with that pick I had rather have a pro bowl QB in Matt Ryan, then a All Pro OL? Can you even name the starting RT of the Green Bay Packers? I cant!
I agree with most of what you say. I think they have made mistakes, but they have had some decent draft except a few picks. Davis,smith,langford are some good examples of good picks that just haven't got to the probowl yet. But I totally agree on the qb front.

Kdawg954
04-08-2011, 08:37 AM
The one thing you can't predict with a draft is how a guy would do if he was drafted by another team. You can only assume he would develop the same way and have the same success but that isn't really a guarantee.

I mean there is no guarantee Michael Vick comes to Miami and is in the MVP race. There is no guarantee Matt Ryan is as heralded as he is right now. If Chad Henne is drafted by another team maybe he is being talked up as a "top 10" guy. I mean you just don't know. Jake Long was an EXCELLENT draft pick and anybody questioning the pick is being blinded by all this Matty Ice talk, who has melted in 2 playoff games in his career. Like I said, good chance Matty Ice doesn't have the great rookie year down here with us picking up Pennington. His whole career becomes changed. Dwelling on "what could have been" just isn't the way to look at the NFL draft . . . it is very similar to "what am I going to do if I hit the lotto" and you start dwelling on it.

We just need to do our homework and display some confidence . . . and stop drafting for quantity over quality (although this year that label may fit more than ever).

tay0365
04-08-2011, 09:26 PM

You do realize that Miami lost 4 games because of ref mistake (Steelers), or Offensive mistakes by Coach (Bills, Browns, Jets g1, Lions). A more aggresive offense and the Refs don't blow the call we end up with at least 10 wins.