PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins working out a slew of rookie running backs

BAMAPHIN 22
04-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Illinois’ Mikel Leshoure (6.0 per carry in 2010) “certainly would fit that mold,” Kiper said. “He usually makes the first defender miss. Kansas State’s Daniel Thomas (5.3) would be another. A little upright; doesn’t have great elusiveness but productive and powerful.” Miami booked private sessions with both; Kiper projects both to be picked in the second round.

What about potential every-down backs after the second round? Kiper cited Oklahoma State’s Kendall Hunter (though shorter than Miami likes, at 5-7), Syracuse’s Delone Carter, Hawaii’s Alex Green (8.2 yards per carry in 2010) and Maryland’s Da’Rel Scott, who is super fast but has “fumbling issues.”

Miami scheduled private sessions with others, including Virginia Tech potential second-rounder Ryan Williams (he and less heralded running back teammate Darren Evans auditioned for coach Tony Sparano & Co. on Thursday), Nebraska’s Roy Helu, Louisville’s Bilal Powell, LSU’s Stevan Ridley, Auburn’s Mario Fannin and Eastern Washington’s speedy Taiwan Jones.

The Dolphins have told people they ideally would like to draft two backs, preferably with different strengths. Only seven of the NFL’s top 20 rushers last season were first-round picks; three were undrafted, including leading rusher Arian Foster. The No. 2 rusher, Jamaal Charles, was a third-rounder and Michael Turner (No. 3) was a fifth-rounder.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/02/v-fullstory/2147705/later-running-back-options-abound.html#ixzz1IgVnjMEM

ROADRUNNER
04-05-2011, 05:05 PM
speedy and a brusier.........

twg76
04-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Taiwan Jones is a good option later in the 3rd or 4th. The guy can simply run away from the pack if he gets the blocks. He's not a power guy though. So he needs good blocking. He would probably return kickoffs too. Jordan Todman wasn't mentioned. Another guy who might be there in the 3rd. Todman is elusive and fast. His top speed isn't as fast as Taiwan Jones, but he makes up for that with elusiveness. He's hard to get to, and that gets him extra yards. He turns a 10 yard gain into 16-18 by eluding defenders.Ryan Williams is probably Miami's guy if they can get him. Fast, explosive through the line of scrimmage. Hungry enough to make the first guy miss most of the time. He's a feature back. But he's a second round back because of durability issues. He's not as complete as Ingram, but he's probably more likely to gain something when blocking isn't quite there.

ckparrothead
04-05-2011, 05:28 PM
I like Ryan Williams, Kendall Hunter, Daniel Thomas, Delone Carter and Bilal Powell.

I don't hate the rest. I just wouldn't find myself steering toward the rest like I would those five, from among the list provided.

Travis34
04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
I just hope we can get someone with speed/moves and power

WeVie
04-05-2011, 06:53 PM
I hope they can snatch a good one.

#1dolphinsfan
04-06-2011, 01:00 AM
i really like Delone Carter

justdev7
04-06-2011, 05:46 AM
I like Ryan Williams, Kendall Hunter, Daniel Thomas, Delone Carter and Bilal Powell.

I don't hate the rest. I just wouldn't find myself steering toward the rest like I would those five, from among the list provided.

I'm not a big fan of Daniel Thomas. he reminds me a lot of Ronnie just because he makes a lot of unnecessary lateral movements

Chubby
04-06-2011, 08:27 AM

I always liked Hunter as a runner but totally got on his bandwagon during senior bowl week watching him block DL & TE's, for a small guy he is one tough SOB.

I know he was mentioned in the article but I havent seen any reports that the fins have worked him out or planning to work him out, did i miss it?
Chubbs

Fin Thirteen
04-06-2011, 09:11 AM
i really like Delone Carter

With you on that one.