PDA

View Full Version : Roman's Mock

Roman529
04-05-2011, 05:30 PM
OK fellas....we have about three more weeks until the draft so here is my mock....I did TWO (a straight-up no trade-down mock, and one which we trade down. I think it's 50/50 that we do trade down).

1.(15) Ryan Mallett, QB, Arkansas (With Newton and Gabbert gone, he has the most upside, arm strength, size).
3.(79) Jarrell Jernigan, WR, Troy (Jernigan gives us great speed and a great kickoff/punt returner).
4. (111) Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee (we need an upgrade at TE, although Fasano has his moments)
5. (146) Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas State
6. (179) Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho
7. (217) Carl Johnson, ROT, Florida
7. (218) Jamie Harper, RB, Clemson
7. (235) David Carter, DT, UCLA

Option 2 - Trade Down (with Philadelphia Eagles)

1. (23) Mikel LeShoure,RB, Illinois
2. (54) Andy Dalton, QB, TCU
3. (79) Jarrel Jernigan, WR, Troy
4. (111) Luke Stocker, TE, Tennessee
5. (146) Darius Morris, OG, Temple
6. (179) Shiloh Keo, S, Idaho
7. (217) Carl Johnson, ROT, Florida
7. (218) Jamie Harper, RB, Clemson
7. (235) David Carter, DT, UCLA

TrinidadDolfan
04-05-2011, 05:35 PM
Option #1

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Kdawg954
04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Any reason you didn't stick with Mallet at 23 . . . Do you think a team is going to grab him between 15 and 23?

Roman529
04-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah KDawg I think if we don't grab Mallett at #15 someone will take him before we come up again at #23. That is why it is kind of risky trading down.

Kdawg954
04-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah KDawg I think if we don't grab Mallett at #15 someone will take him before we come up again at #23. That is why it is kind of risky trading down.

Ok, just checking . . . I'm guessing somebody is going to trade up to jump the Fins to grab him . . . because nobody between 13 and 24 has a need for QB except us and Jville. I think Jville would pass though, but one of those teams in the top 43 (Minnesota's 2nd round pick) could trade back up somehow . . . . though I'm sure it would be costly. Seattle could trade up, but I'm thinking more Jake Locker if he falls that far. Going to be interesting . . . but I would definitely go with the first mock over the 2nd one.

beanh8er
04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Jernigan :bobdole:. Moore or go home without a receiver.

Elliott 1
04-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Yuck, just yuck. How does this improve our team? I mean really improve our team.

We go from poor leadership to no leadership at QB.

Draft a midget WR who will hardly see the field. KR's have become obsolete because of the new rules.

Draft a TE who is a carbon copy of Fasano, even down to draft projection.

Why does Thomas slip into the 5th?? He just ran a 4.6, kinda what was expected. I think he is projected 2-3.

Why draft a S in the 6th when the Dolphins are probably going to have a cut a good safety this year the way things are already?

And option two is worse.

PSU Cane
04-05-2011, 08:23 PM
I really like Daniel Thomas at RB, eventhough he lacks breakaway speed. But i don't see him falling to the 5th. I also don't think Jamie Harper will fall to the 7th. Both good backs though. I worry about Harper's ball security a bit though.

enJeppesen
04-05-2011, 09:47 PM
Daniel Thomas in the 5th? That will never happen. Neither will Luke Stocker in the 4th, although its less of a fairy tale but a team like Atlanta will definitely pull the trigger on Stocker who could easily sneak in to the 2nd round if a team loves him.

It seems like pretty much every pick aside from Mallett and Jernigan(either of which I dont like, especially the Mallett pick but hey atleast its not Mark Ingram) you have created an alternate reality where nobody knows the players and they have therefor magically slid down everyones board except the phins?

Harper is gone in 7 as well.

Anyway, wont really comment on the second one cause it involves a trade down but the first is as unrealistic as Chad Henne throwing 50 td's next year. I like the Morris pick

sinPHIN
04-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Ok, just checking . . . I'm guessing somebody is going to trade up to jump the Fins to grab him . . . because nobody between 13 and 24 has a need for QB except us and Jville. I think Jville would pass though, but one of those teams in the top 43 (Minnesota's 2nd round pick) could trade back up somehow . . . . though I'm sure it would be costly. Seattle could trade up, but I'm thinking more Jake Locker if he falls that far. Going to be interesting . . . but I would definitely go with the first mock over the 2nd one.

i think jax would grab mallett if we didnt. but i think they take mallet or ponder 16

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

dont see thomas falling that far. maybe put powell in that spot but hell ive read his stock has rose a little bit

JCane
04-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Wait...

You were ALL OVER Cam Newton a few months ago...what happened.

:idk:

TheBow305
04-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Not a big fan of either since I don't really like Jernigan. I also think it's big time wishful thinking that Thomas will be there in the 5th or Harper will be there in the 7th. Don't think Thomas makes it out of the 4th, and Harper the 5th.

#1dolphinsfan
04-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Daniel Thomas more then likly wont be there in the 5th round

Roman529
04-06-2011, 03:19 AM
Wait...

You were ALL OVER Cam Newton a few months ago...what happened.

:idk:

What happened? Ummmm everyone fell in love with Cam. Do you really think Cam Newton will be there at #15???? I think we both no the answer to that.

Roman529
04-06-2011, 04:21 AM
Yuck, just yuck. How does this improve our team? I mean really improve our team.

We go from poor leadership to no leadership at QB.

Draft a midget WR who will hardly see the field. KR's have become obsolete because of the new rules.

Draft a TE who is a carbon copy of Fasano, even down to draft projection.

Why does Thomas slip into the 5th?? He just ran a 4.6, kinda what was expected. I think he is projected 2-3.

Why draft a S in the 6th when the Dolphins are probably going to have a cut a good safety this year the way things are already?

And option two is worse.

Not sure where all the hate is coming from? Tell me who exactly you would take at QB then? Newton and Gabbert will both be off the board. I also think people questioning Mallett's leadership are also the same people who bought into rumors that Dan Marino was on drugs his senior year at Pitt. I know Mallett hasn't been a choir boy but I don't think he has ever been arrested for drugs, and he has interviewed well and addressed these concerns since the Combines. Mallett was also a better QB at Michigan five years ago than the guy who was at Michigan and starting for us now (Chad Henne). :up:

If you really think Stocker is a copy of Fasano than you clearly haven't watched Tennessee play much. Stocker has way better hands and catching ability than Fasano and he didn't exactly have Peyton Manning throwing him the ball at Tennessee. Take a lot at some highlights of Stocker before you call him a carbon copy of Fasano, there is no comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpsJknfi0Vw also

You also asked: Why draft a S in the 6th when the Dolphins are probably going to have a cut a good safety this year the way things are already? If we really had a good safety why we would be cutting him? We haven't had a good safety since maybe Brock Marion a decade ago, and the somewhat decent ones we have had like Yerimiah Bell always get injured,,,,same for Clemons who is not even average, and Jones is what he is. The one thing our d-backs seem to lack is toughness and the ability to make INT's and be ballhawks. That's why a guy like Keo would help us. The bottom line is we don't have six draft picks stockpiled in the first three rounds like the Patriots, so you saying Yuck but don't suggest anything better or realistic. :rolleyes2:

Ohhh and I forgot about Jernigan. Yes he is small but so is Darren Sproles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Dexter McCluster....we have no speed and that is why our kickoffs suck. I don't think five yards difference with the NFL rule change is really going to kill guys from running back kicks.

justdev7
04-06-2011, 05:49 AM
Jernigan :bobdole:. Moore or go home without a receiver.

Jernigan kind of looks like more of a slot guy at this point

enJeppesen
04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
You failed to adress Roman, that pretty much every single player on your first board will be gone by the time phins are picking.

And Keo one of the few safeties whose stock is rising in a terrible safety draft could be gone in the 5th but he also could slip to the 6th I suppose but I like the pick.

Daniel Thomas is rated everything from the second to the 5th RB talentwise there is simply no way that he is available in the 5th. Several mocks have him gone in the top of the 2nd to the bottom of the 3rd. How about making a realistic one next time? :)

Roman529
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
You failed to adress Roman, that pretty much every single player on your first board will be gone by the time phins are picking.

And Keo one of the few safeties whose stock is rising in a terrible safety draft could be gone in the 5th but he also could slip to the 6th I suppose but I like the pick.

Daniel Thomas is rated everything from the second to the 5th RB talentwise there is simply no way that he is available in the 5th. Several mocks have him gone in the top of the 2nd to the bottom of the 3rd. How about making a realistic one next time? :)

Other than Thomas, I think I have most guys slotted where they should fall. Thomas would not have moved up in the eyes of most scouts except for the speed he displayed at the Combine. Mallett should be around at #15 unless someone else decides to move up. Jernigan is projected to go in Round Three and Stocker in Round 4. There are always guys who rise and fall a great deal before the draft. I remember many people wanting USC Center Kris O'Dowd in Round Two about a month or two ago and now many people are saying he could be drafted between Round 5 and 7. After the first couple rounds it's pretty tough knowing exactly where a guy will fall. I am not too concerned about what happens or who we take after the third round. My main concern is that we get a franchise QB and a RB who can start and replace Ricky and Ronnie.

WaxOn WaxOff
04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Harper won't make it at the pro level. I've watched him at Clemson since Day 1, being a Clemson fan. He has no quickness, and prefers dancing to hitting the hole. We can find somebody else here.

enJeppesen
04-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Well, I do believe in my other post that I didnt think that Mallett or Jernigan would be gone at your picks but we will never ever ever ever ever(same goes for any team we trade down with) pick Mallett at 15.

Elliott 1
04-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Not sure where all the hate is coming from? Tell me who exactly you would take at QB then? Newton and Gabbert will both be off the board. I also think people questioning Mallett's leadership are also the same people who bought into rumors that Dan Marino was on drugs his senior year at Pitt. I know Mallett hasn't been a choir boy but I don't think he has ever been arrested for drugs, and he has interviewed well and addressed these concerns since the Combines. Mallett was also a better QB at Michigan five years ago than the guy who was at Michigan and starting for us now (Chad Henne). :up:

If you really think Stocker is a copy of Fasano than you clearly haven't watched Tennessee play much. Stocker has way better hands and catching ability than Fasano and he didn't exactly have Peyton Manning throwing him the ball at Tennessee. Take a lot at some highlights of Stocker before you call him a carbon copy of Fasano, there is no comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpsJknfi0Vw also

You also asked: Why draft a S in the 6th when the Dolphins are probably going to have a cut a good safety this year the way things are already? If we really had a good safety why we would be cutting him? We haven't had a good safety since maybe Brock Marion a decade ago, and the somewhat decent ones we have had like Yerimiah Bell always get injured,,,,same for Clemons who is not even average, and Jones is what he is. The one thing our d-backs seem to lack is toughness and the ability to make INT's and be ballhawks. That's why a guy like Keo would help us. The bottom line is we don't have six draft picks stockpiled in the first three rounds like the Patriots, so you saying Yuck but don't suggest anything better or realistic. :rolleyes2:

Ohhh and I forgot about Jernigan. Yes he is small but so is Darren Sproles, Maurice Jones-Drew, Dexter McCluster....we have no speed and that is why our kickoffs suck. I don't think five yards difference with the NFL rule change is really going to kill guys from running back kicks.

First of all: Not only do I think Mallett wouldn't improve the team, I think he would he hurt it. If the Dolphins draft him I'll be more shocked than I was when the US hockey team beat the Russians. It just isn't happening.

How many drops did Fasano have last year?? You probably can't remember any. Fasano has great hands, is a good blocker and runs hard and effectively after the catch. IMO, he should be targeted more than 60 times a year. He is grossly underrated on this site. AFT had him the 11th ranked TE in the NFL last year.

As far as the similarities, they are glaring. Same basic height and weight, and their workoput numbers are so similar it's spooky. I think the Dolphins should draft one of the WR/TE guys like Jordan Cameron and also draft a stud blocking TE like Andre Smith.

The Dolphins have these DB's on the roster: Davis,Smith,Allen,Carroll,Sapp,Ness,Bell,Clemons,Jones,Amaya,Culver. That is 11 guys and as far as I know they like most of them. Sporano has praised Amaya and Jones on several occasions. It is possible that both Culver and Sapp are history because they cost more than Ness and Carroll. Amaya and Jones aren't going anywhere, they are the future, and they are both loaded with potential. Get the picture.

MJD isn't small, he is short, the difference is enormous. Sproles is small, and IMO, really ineffective. Kick returning is no longer much of an issue. TB % is going to skyrocket with the change. I think that pip squeek Jernigan would be a waste of a high pick. Aldrick Robinson is projected in the 6th and he would be way,way better value than Jernigan or the S that wouldn't make the roster or the PS. If you are after a little speedster their is no sense in drafting them high. They are always around every year in the mid-late rounds and even as as undrafted free agents.

I didn't say hate, I said yuck. If I had hated it I would have said so. I have no problem expressing my true feelings. I said yuck because as I said before, I see little or no improvement.

Roman529
04-06-2011, 11:01 PM
First of all: Not only do I think Mallett wouldn't improve the team, I think he would he hurt it. If the Dolphins draft him I'll be more shocked than I was when the US hockey team beat the Russians. It just isn't happening.

How many drops did Fasano have last year?? You probably can't remember any. Fasano has great hands, is a good blocker and runs hard and effectively after the catch. IMO, he should be targeted more than 60 times a year. He is grossly underrated on this site. AFT had him the 11th ranked TE in the NFL last year.

I don't have any big issues against Fasano, he just isn't really used much....I just think Stocker would be a nice pickup. We should use our TE's more like the Patriots do with their big TE's. I think our DB's can only go up from here. We have to get better at forcing turnovers and making picks. I am tired of throwing stuff at my tv when we drop gimme picks. I just mentioned Keo because we could use this type of a hard hitting d-back. He is not Troy Polamalu but he has a nose for the ball.

Wanna make a friendly wager on whether or not we draft Mallett? I think he is our first round pick....Newton and Gabbert will be gone and Locker is just too innacurate. We cannot afford to allow a guy like Mallett to slip past us as there will not be anything left at QB after our 15th pick, even if we trade down, guys like Ponder and Dalton will probably be snapped up early in the second round. We can always get a RB later, but I think this year we take a QB in round one: MALLETT.

Elliott 1
04-07-2011, 07:41 PM
I don't have any big issues against Fasano, he just isn't really used much....I just think Stocker would be a nice pickup. We should use our TE's more like the Patriots do with their big TE's. I think our DB's can only go up from here. We have to get better at forcing turnovers and making picks. I am tired of throwing stuff at my tv when we drop gimme picks. I just mentioned Keo because we could use this type of a hard hitting d-back. He is not Troy Polamalu but he has a nose for the ball.

Wanna make a friendly wager on whether or not we draft Mallett? I think he is our first round pick....Newton and Gabbert will be gone and Locker is just too innacurate. We cannot afford to allow a guy like Mallett to slip past us as there will not be anything left at QB after our 15th pick, even if we trade down, guys like Ponder and Dalton will probably be snapped up early in the second round. We can always get a RB later, but I think this year we take a QB in round one: MALLETT.

The Patriots actually have exactly what I suggested. They have a good all around TE in Gronkowski,they have the WR/TE in Hernandez, and they have that big old fat guy who is a blocking TE.

Roman529
04-07-2011, 10:34 PM
I decided to splurge and got me a Lindy's Draft Magazine today. I think our defense is in pretty good shape. I would probably focus our draft about 75/25 towards offense since we seemed to really focus on defense last year. I am hoping EJ Edds will fully recover, along with Odrick.

What this team needs to do is get a lot more speed, especially on offense. That is one reason I brught up the name Jerrel Jernigan. Another guy with crazy speed is Abilene Christian's Edmond Gates, who some have going in round three. Bleacher Report did a nice write up on him for those who might be interested: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/654141-miami-dolphins-draft-prospect-wr-edmond-gates-from-abilene-christian-university