PDA

View Full Version : Miller, Quinn, Smith

j-off-her-doll
04-06-2011, 02:20 PM
It's really pretty rare to have a draft where you have three edge rushers of this caliber (can't think of another off the top of my head). I wanted to get a conversation going, discussing the strengths and weaknesses of each.

It seems most people have Miller as the best (I do as well), but a few like Quinn better, and those that don't like Quinn best typically have him as the 2nd best. In regard to harassing the QB, I have Smith ahead of Quinn. From everything I've seen, he gets more immediate pressure - devastating inside move, ridiculous hands. Anyway, for whatever reason, the 4-3 DE/3-4 OLB has always been one of my favorite positions to analyze, so please, share your thoughts.

hooshoops
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
if you are asking me quinn runs the arc is the best bend dip and rip edge rusher in the draft...plus he plays with explosive power in his hands...more an ideal 4-3 end fit imo but i would not be afraid to plug him as a 3-4 olb pass rusher...not great hips or cod but let the man do what he does best...hunt the qb

von miller has the most explosive getoff and first step of any conversion olb i've seen in a while...i mean he jumps off the tape with his explosion off the ball...but he doesn't run the arc or bend and dip rip imo like robert quinn...beats you more with an outside speed rush and if you overcommit at tackle he has a nice outside inside move in his arsenal...very fluid hips very fluid cod looks comfortable in space...tracks the qb like few i've seen...easy 3-4 wolb fit

aldon smiths a little stiff hipped and straight line to me don't think he's comfortable in space...4-3 end who can shift inside on some passing downs imo...a little more raw reminds me in a lot of ways to jason pierre paul last year...i don't think he's quite as raw as jpp but i think he has that kind of untapped potential

i have miller and quinn very close together in ranking...miller the better 3-4 olb fit quinn the 4-3 end...both studs...i wouldn't hesitate on either one in the top 5 just a matter of scheme as to preference for me

Elliott 1
04-06-2011, 07:59 PM
I agree, especially since Ryan Kerrigan is argueably just as good if not better than the three you already spoke of. Kerrigan is the definition of a play making defender. I want him and Miller and Quinn.

beanh8er
04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I agree, especially since Ryan Kerrigan is argueably just as good if not better than the three you already spoke of. Kerrigan is the definition of a play making defender. I want him and Miller and Quinn.
Lolwut?

justdev7
04-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm gonna get killed for this but I'm not a big aldon smith fan. He just doesn't look very explosive to me when compared to the other guys.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

newlownorder
04-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Hooshoops summed up everything I would have said about all 3 prospects.

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2011, 07:30 AM
I don't see Smith as especially raw. He's a very crafty pass rusher - with dynamite in his hands. His inside rush is the best in the draft He has great play finishing instincts. I just don't associate these qualities with someone you'd knock for being raw. There are certainly areas to improve. While I didn't see all of his games from '09, and I didn't see all of Quinn's games from the same year, I saw enough to bet that if you tallied all QB hits and pressures by each player, Smith would have more. If you include things like batted balls, even more. I think if he gets healthy (doesn't seem to be huge concern), he projects to be the most diverse and interesting menace to QB's in the draft.

Kdawg954
04-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I know Quinn's stock is up after his pro day . . . man if he would have fell to 15 . . . I would snatch him up so quick and not think twice about it. Unlike many, I have no problem fishing for my QB in 2012 if it means getting an elite talent at 15. Quinn is an elite talent when he is healthy and on the field. I like him better than Von Miller to be honest with you.

hooshoops
04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
if robert quinn had played at unc this year who here doesn't think he would have put up sick numbers??? elite talent is the word...i have no problem with someone saying they like quinn more than miller...i'm right there on the cusp of that myself

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Going into the year, Quinn was considered the better prospect by most. I'd still rate Miller as higher, but Quinn's a beast. If Miami is convinced that Mallett/Ponder aren't their guys, and they don't think Gabbert or Newton are worth moving up for, I have not problem with them looking at Quinn - if he were to fall, which he almost certainly won't.

j-off-her-doll
04-07-2011, 09:46 AM
if robert quinn had played at unc this year who here doesn't think he would have put up sick numbers??? elite talent is the word...i have no problem with someone saying they like quinn more than miller...i'm right there on the cusp of that myself

I said before that Quinn reminds me more of D. Ware than any prospect since D. Ware.

hooshoops
04-07-2011, 09:55 AM
I said before that Quinn reminds me more of D. Ware than any prospect since D. Ware.

that's who he reminds me of as an edge rusher...as a fluid athlete though ware gets the edge for me...ware has very good hips and cod...i think quinn has a similar hips and cod to our own cam wake...slightly better probably...but put him on the edge like wake and let him hunt

bootang25
04-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Robert Quinn is a two-time state champion wrestler in the heavyweight division. That is a really good notch to have on his resume.

Having an elite LB group is step 1 in having those menacing, impose your will 3-4 defenses. Quinn is not only the best fit size wise, he can set the edge as well as any other prospect in the draft.

This would help us clear Channing Crowder's contract, freeing up money for other areas once free agency were to begin. We surely won't be able to fill every need draft night. For that reason alone, if we pick at 15, it must be an impact guy.

Quinn would be the final piece for our front seven being on par with any other, with great depth. I think Koa Misi would be very good alongside Dansby. It would offer Mike Nolan a ton of options. Remember, we get Edds, Odrick, and Will Allen back next year as well.