PDA

View Full Version : Kiper: Dolphins should stick with Henne, pass on Mallett

BAMAPHIN 22
04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
“I would not take a quarterback that high,” Kiper said. “I was not a huge Henne guy coming out of Michigan. Wildly inconsistent at Michigan, wildly inconsistent at Miami. But the kid deserves more of a chance. He’s a great kid. He’s tough, got a powerful arm. He needs to work on his accuracy, particularly down the field, which I thought there were times when he improved.

“Intermediate range, at times he’s a little erratic there. But the bottom line is they thought he hung in the pocket better this year. They definitely liked some of the things they saw. Again, inconsistent though.”
Kiper again mentioned Alabama RB Mark Ingram and Florida G/C Mike Pouncey as the Dolphins’ leading options at No. 15. With their next pick, currently 79th overall, the Dolphins might need to go for speed.

“You’re not going to move forward with Ryan Mallett,” he said. “You’re getting him for the future. I think if you’re Miami, you try to build around Henne a little bit. I mean, help him out. Get a Mark Ingram in there. You’re restructuring your running back position. Bring him into the mix. …

“Instead of taking Mallett , you take Ingram, you take Pouncey. You help out Chad Henne. Get the center, get the guard, not another quarterback who’s got issues there. There’s intangible concerns with Mallett. There’s issues with lack of mobility, the long stride that he has in the pocket, where you’ve got to really protect him well and their offensive line right now, interior-wise, is questionable I wouldn’t go Mallett there [at 15].”

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_seasonticket/2011/04/miami-dolphins-should-stick-with-chad-henne-mel-kiper-says.html

TedSlimmJr
04-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Kiper raises a few good points there, but he also highlighted the biggest problem in Miami..

Parcells hired an offensive line "guru" as the head coach... $156 million, a #1 overall pick on a left tackle, and several other draft picks later, there's no excuse why heading into year 4 Miami should STILL be afraid of drafting a potential franchise quarterback on account of protecting him being a liability...

They can draft Jake Longs until their eyes-cross and their head caves in... but they're not going to win anything until they get a quarterback WORTH protecting...

bryan
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
If Kiper watched the Dolphins 2010 16 game season like we have......he would likely have a different analysis. Henne was not sacked anymore than guys like Rodgers or Big Ben. He has a franchise left tackle and Marshall. I wish Henne did not have to endure Henning's play calling last year but no it is still no excuse for a 15 TD / 19 INT performance. Henne is a lower tier starting QB in the NFL and if an upgrade presents itself, i.e. Mallett, you pull the trigger.

Valandui
04-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Didn't Kiper just say Henne sucks like three days ago?

AP27
04-07-2011, 03:39 PM
I think this is a quote from a while back

TrinidadDolfan
04-07-2011, 04:37 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/wtfmelkiper-1.jpg

TrinidadDolfan
04-07-2011, 04:39 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/melkiperslashjpgw440h330-1.jpg

justdev7
04-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Let me get this straight. Henne was wildly inconsistent both in college and the pros and he also struggles with accuracy and somehow that means that we should give him more time?

Another pearl of wisdom from Mr. Kiper

ckparrothead
04-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Let me get this straight. Henne was wildly inconsistent both in college and the pros and he also struggles with accuracy and somehow that means that we should give him more time?

Another pearl of wisdom from Mr. Kiper

I have a lot of respect for Kiper but sometimes I just feel like the game is moving by him.

AP27
04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Isn't this something he said a few months back?

TrinidadDolfan
04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
I have a lot of respect for Kiper but sometimes I just feel like the game is moving by him.

CK, should we re-write the comment just to say that you "had" a lot of repect for him?

lol

I'm "just sayin'"

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/steventylerbeautyandthebeast-1.jpg

zach attach
04-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Kiper said that? Ok, that settles it-Draft Mallet!

BlueFin
04-07-2011, 05:32 PM
He contradicts himself, he said he never liked Henne going back to Michigan, that he has always been inconsistent. Then he says we should stick with him? Huh?

No I don't want Mel Kiper GM'ing the Dolphins.

JC
04-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I feel like Kiper cares more about his hair than his draft coverage.

X-Pacolypse
04-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Henne sucks.

Kdawg954
04-07-2011, 10:06 PM
tTo be fair . . . I think this has less to do with "not drafting a QB to replace Henne" and more to do with "Ryan Mallet being the guy to do the replacing". Obviously there is an extreme movement on this board to the Ryan Mallet bandwagon . . . before and after the Universal guys did the piece . . . but there are "legitimate" concerns with him and people want to brush that under the rug because that is the popular thing to do, while respected people in the industry (and I respect Universal and their analysis VERY much) are consistently placing him in the 2nd round and they "must" be morons.

Obviously we need a QB, obviously a first round guy "suggest" putting a premium on finding that guy . . . but everything needs to be evaluated, and if there isn't a guy that is gonna push Chad Henne in 2011 or a guy you feel comfortable with as the QB of your franchise, the Fins and this regime need to take the best player in round 1, whether that is a QB or not.

You can do alot worse than Chad Henne, and in a potentially shortened offseason with a regime that is in a situation where winning "now" is key . . . you probably won't do better than Chad Henne in 2011. Draft a playmaker on offense, draft a stud pass rusher . . . I dunno . . hell draft a QB if you love the guy . . . but don't just take a QB because you feel obliged to do so . . . take a guy who is going to have the biggest impact in 2011 . . . because truth be told, the clock is ticking on this regime's tenure in South Florida. Do what it takes to win now W/O mortgaging our future first day picks.

RHoffman
04-07-2011, 10:20 PM
I'd say the game passed Kiper by, but I don't think he ever knew it to begin with. Regardless, I don't see the current administration taking a quarterback in the first round. They have a win this year mandate. I agree that a rookie quarterback won't make that happen and please don't try to sell me on Kevin Kolb either.

Kdawg954
04-07-2011, 10:25 PM
I'd say the game passed Kiper by, but I don't think he ever knew it to begin with. Regardless, I don't see the current administration taking a quarterback in the first round. They have a win this year mandate. I agree that a rookie quarterback won't make that happen and please don't try to sell me on Kevin Kolb either.

I'm sorry bro, I completely disagree with that statement. Kiper is a pioneer, he made the draft a "trendy" thing for football lovers to follow. The guy has probably watched more film than anybody and though yea he is getting "long in the tooth" and the next, younger new guy is looking for the chance to take his place . . . he is still the "standard" for draft analysis and it is going to take ALOT for anybody to be mentioned in the same breath for longevity and knowledge. I'm sure one day we may see it, but he has no equal.

RHoffman
04-07-2011, 10:27 PM
No one has gone over his past predictions to see how credible he really is, but he certainly brought entertainment value to the draft, which is what ESPN is about anyhow.

Ed Norton
04-08-2011, 10:15 AM
He wasn't thrilled with the Marino pick either!

fgrocker
04-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Didn't Kiper also say Jimmy Clausen should have been considered along with Bradford for the #1 pick last year?

I try not to listen to Kiper when it comes to QBs. At least for that position, he relies on popularity more than analysis. He usually attempts to predict who teams will pick rather than who they should pick.

footsteps_falco
04-08-2011, 10:51 PM
i agree take the player whos going to have the most impact in 2011. if it's QB so be it. if not i am MORE then comfortable taking one of the later guys.. Locker Ponder Yates Stanzi Taylor Enderle