PDA

View Full Version : Why can't we trade the house for Gabbert

footsteps_falco
04-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Trade up with Denver or Carolina, 1st round this year 1st and 2nd next year.. i feel like we should do whatever we have to to get the best player at the helm of our offense that we can.

Chubby
04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Plz no! I do not want this Regime touching 2012 draft picks, those belong to the next regime. Why start them off in the hole.
Chubbs

Nublar7
04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Teams picking that high will be reluctant to trade with a team that includes a majority of high 2012 picks. As of right now, a 2012 draft is not scheduled to happen. There is a chance, while small, that this will be the last year fore the draft.

Though, I doubt Sparano and Ireland will trade a bunch of 2012 picks. They will want to keep them to have something to build with next year.

footsteps_falco
04-08-2011, 12:00 PM
I can understand not wanting to touch next year, but i also feel like with Gabbert leading us were a playoff team and it still leaves us with later round picks which we do pretty decently with anyway. I wouldn't care if it was this regime or not next year, Gabbert would be worth bringing in.

dol-phan007
04-08-2011, 12:06 PM
If we are going to give the house away, I would rather do it next year and get Andrew Luck who is projected to be the best QB coming out in a long time instead of just getting the best in this years class.

23EmilioVasquez
04-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't like Gabbert and we have to many holes to fill
we need to trade down not up

EvilDylan
04-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Gabbert? Are you serious?

This guy disappeared in the three games that he played against anyone worth a crap. His bowl game you ask? 1 td 2 int's. Yeah this guy has the makings of a future champion.

ckparrothead
04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Newton or Mallett I'd be willing to trade something to get up and take...Gabbert...I'd have to think about it.

WISfinfan13
04-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Andrew Luck is the only guy I would trade picks like that away for.

Dr. Phin
04-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Sorry, but Gabbert may be the best this year...but he isn't someone to do this type of deal for. This year's group of QBs just isn't real good IMO. Now if Luck was sitting there...

LouPhinFan
04-08-2011, 12:44 PM
The fact of the matter is this: If you're going to give up that much then you better be damn sure he's going to pan out, because if he doesn't then you just set your franchise back 3 or 4 years at least. You just gave up a couple of shots at some playmakers and solid players you could have drafted for a QB that's a backup. So now you're out those potential players AND you still need to find, draft, and develop a QB.

IMHO and the opinion of most any draft guys out there, there aren't any QBs this year that make you "damn sure". Especially when next year there could be as many as 2 QBs that make you "damn sure". Those being Luck and Barkley.

cuban_refugee
04-08-2011, 12:54 PM
No way! This guy is not a guarantee at the next level. He may be the best of "this" class....but this is a weak QB class.

Vaark
04-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Gabbert strikes me as this year's over-hyped edition of Mark Sanchez - a top 10 reach. If the jest would have stayed at 17, barring any movements upward by other teams, the irony is that they would have secured the superior QB, Josh Freeman. I see analogies when looking at our 15th pick and Mallett with being somewhat of a Freeman equivalent.

UHHS
04-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I will say it now, Blaine Gabbert is going to be the biggest QB dissapointment,failure etc in the 2011 draft. Hands down he will get his lights knocked out in the NFL. The first time he realizes most NFL DEs are almost as fast as College RBs will blow his mind. Once he realizes NFL LBers hit like fast moving freight trains, he will cry, a lot.

I saw nothing special in Blaine Gabbert at pissss asss Missouri and I see nothing special in him now.

NY8123
04-08-2011, 01:13 PM
There is no QB worth that much in this years draft.

Stay the course and you will get to the promise land. This is a good solid football team, there are ways to hide Henne's shortcomings and win. There is no need to panic at QB yet.

Don't fall victim to the "win now" mode most teams are in, it isn't conducive to long term success.

UHHS
04-08-2011, 01:15 PM
Gabbert strikes me as this year's over-hyped edition of Mark Sanchez - a top 10 reach. If the jest would have stayed at 17, barring any movements upward by other teams, the irony is that they would have secured the superior QB, Josh Freeman. I see analogies when looking at our 15th pick and Mallett with being somewhat of a Freeman equivalent.

Agree 100% This years overhyped player of the year. A few years ago it was Jason Smith, OT Baylor. Was selected 2nd overall, every analyst had him as a can't miss, LT of the future. He could not make ths starting lineup in 2009 and in 2010, he was switched to RT as he could not handle the LT spot. Gabbert is no different in the category of being over hyped. Whoever takes him with thoughts as their starting QB is going to kick themselves in the arse real quick

MadDog 88
04-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Why trade up for Gabbert when you can stay at 15 and hope Mallet falls to you. If I were going to trade up, it would be for Mallet.

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Newton or Mallett I'd be willing to trade something to get up and take...Gabbert...I'd have to think about it.
Wow thats a strong statement coming from you.....
In response to the post.......are you friggin nuts? The guy has never had to take snaps from under center and is by far a sure thing. Luck would be that guy, but you can't bet the house and future of the house on Gabbert. Some scouts said Luck was:
1. the best prospect since the class of 83 and maybe even better than any of those gusy in 1983 and
2. (some said) he was the best prospect they had seen in their scouting careers.

Gabbert was essentially average until Luck dropped from the race.

state06
04-08-2011, 01:42 PM
If we are going to give the house away, I would rather do it next year and get Andrew Luck who is projected to be the best QB coming out in a long time instead of just getting the best in this years class.

took the words right out of my mouth

footsteps_falco
04-08-2011, 01:43 PM
No I totally understand where you guys are coming from, I guess I was just watching NFL network this morning and they were comparing him to all the young QB's: Ryan, Flacco, Freeman, Stafford, Sanchez, and when they didn't throw Henne into that mix I guess it just got my fiending for our own franchise guy. I mean you guys are right Gabbert probably isn't worth that much of an investment, but if not him then who? I just feel like without the QB we're not going to win a superbowl next year. and I feel like with this roster we're good enough to do that if we had an elite talent at QB. I'm sure a lot of you feel like we're close too.

footsteps_falco
04-08-2011, 01:44 PM
I really don't want to wait, and I realize that there are going to be 2 Elite QB's next year, but who is to say we even get a clock crack at them. most mocks for next year have them going back to back 1 and 2. who's going give up a shot at them? imo no one. if luck is a possibility for you, and you're the worst team in the league. nothing is going to stop you from handing that card in.

foozool13
04-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Its not worth doing it for a QB who is not a plug and play QB. EVERY QB this year needs atleast 1 year of learning and next Years QB class is much better in terms of QBs that can start right away.

enduro
04-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Trade up with Denver or Carolina, 1st round this year 1st and 2nd next year.. i feel like we should do whatever we have to to get the best player at the helm of our offense that we can.

maybe andrew luck but not gabbert. i see him as a west coast type qb.

Patrick_Bateman
04-08-2011, 02:09 PM

I agree with this 1000%, unless of course he suffers a serious injury in the upcoming season.

hooshoops
04-08-2011, 02:20 PM
all i wanna know is who the heck 5 stars these things???

Phinatic8u
04-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Gabbert is the 4th best QB imo.

I don't like him at all.

footsteps_falco
04-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Yea i'm way off if anything we need to trade down one or two times. dumb thread atleast i can admit it

Kdawg954
04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
The hate on Gabbert in this thread is pretty remarkable . . . sure he isn't a guy you trade the house for (unless you feel he is THE guy that you KNOW is going to be your franchise leader and eventual Super Bowl winner) but damn he is a pretty good looking QB prospect in my eyes and fits what this regime is looking for in a QB.

If you are willing to take Gabbert at 15 . . . you should be willing to trade up for him also . . . because at 15 you are saying he is your guy. Obviously trading a first and a 2nd in 2012, in addition to the #15 is real crazy but if he is Ben Rothlisbergering it for us his first 6 years . . . that is going to look like chump change.

And all this Luck trade up stuff is comical . . . the only way you are getting Andrew Luck in 2012 is if you "tank" this season and get first overall. I mean it really is simple in the end. Whatever team that has the #1 pick overall most likely has an issue at QB . . . and it could be 2 entire drafts, if they trade out . . . it would be a horrific decision (assuming Luck has another great season and remains healthy).

If you want Luck, draft the BPA this season at all spots and then lose purposely/or just not be that good . . . other than that, the dream needs to stop.

hooshoops
04-08-2011, 03:40 PM
the hate on gabbert may be comical but so is trading this and next years first plus a 2nd to go up and get him...but maybe its just that i've cooled a bit on gabbert of late

TrinidadDolfan
04-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Plz no! I do not want this Regime touching 2012 draft picks, those belong to the next regime. Why start them off in the hole.
Chubbs

Can I please DOUBLE that sentiment?

I already feel naked without our 2nd this year. I want all our picks next year.

My 2012 picks.......? Don'y touch them

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/donttouchitposterimage212x300-1.jpg

Can't touch this

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/tumblr_likqm6qe1x1qz96sho1_250-1.gif

dol-phan007
04-08-2011, 05:14 PM
The hate on Gabbert in this thread is pretty remarkable . . . sure he isn't a guy you trade the house for (unless you feel he is THE guy that you KNOW is going to be your franchise leader and eventual Super Bowl winner) but damn he is a pretty good looking QB prospect in my eyes and fits what this regime is looking for in a QB.

If you are willing to take Gabbert at 15 . . . you should be willing to trade up for him also . . . because at 15 you are saying he is your guy. Obviously trading a first and a 2nd in 2012, in addition to the #15 is real crazy but if he is Ben Rothlisbergering it for us his first 6 years . . . that is going to look like chump change.

And all this Luck trade up stuff is comical . . . the only way you are getting Andrew Luck in 2012 is if you "tank" this season and get first overall. I mean it really is simple in the end. Whatever team that has the #1 pick overall most likely has an issue at QB . . . and it could be 2 entire drafts, if they trade out . . . it would be a horrific decision (assuming Luck has another great season and remains healthy).

If you want Luck, draft the BPA this season at all spots and then lose purposely/or just not be that good . . . other than that, the dream needs to stop.

Everyone on here is not dreaming on Luck and saying we are going to get him. What we are saying is we would not give up everything unless it was for Luck. You act like we started a thread saying "Lets trade up for Luck".

footsteps_falco
04-08-2011, 05:24 PM
the hate on gabbert may be comical but so is trading this and next years first plus a 2nd to go up and get him...but maybe its just that i've cooled a bit on gabbert of late

ah you took it too literally i just meant trade whatever is required to get him, maybe a 1st next year and this year idk.

footsteps_falco
04-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Everyone on here is not dreaming on Luck and saying we are going to get him. What we are saying is we would not give up everything unless it was for Luck. You act like we started a thread saying "Lets trade up for Luck".

agreed i dont blame you guys gabbert is definitely not luck, but i feel if he's all we need to get to a superbowl and a few F.A's or late round pickups then why not? in hindsight, yea maybe i'm off because we do have quite a few needs, but once you get THE qb, i feel like the other stuff becomes less vital. either way i'm no expert, just a fan speculating in a forum.

72champagne
04-08-2011, 05:34 PM
even marino behind incognito, berger & jerry/mcquistan would fail. what's the point of selling the house just to put an unknown commodity in an impossible position?

JFoxx
04-08-2011, 05:48 PM
While I like the enthusiam, Gabbert isn't a solid lock enough to do all that for. With no 2nd this year, you essentially only get Gabbert in your top picks for the next two years and a bunch of gambles in the 3rd and after rounds to fill the other holes we have to support him. If most look back on history to teams that give away many picks or player in order to trade up to get "the great player" of that draft . . . . . it usually ends up hurting/haunting the teams more than helping. And I think we can pretty much forget Luck next year unless we finish dead last this year. NO team in their right mind is going to pass up on Luck with the #1 pick even if they don't have an immediate need at QB. Potential locks as franchise QB's don't come along all that often so I doubt anyone will trade out of that spot regardless of the offer.

UHHS
04-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Hate ? Who mentioned hate ? Gabbert is just another over hyped QB by the talking heads. If any of them were really that good they would be a GM for an NFL team.

I still do not understand the excitement over a kid who has a crowning acheivement of bringing his team to the Insight Bowl in Phoenix Arizona ? One of the lesser bowls on the planet earth. In 2009 they made the friggin Texas Bowl ? C'mon, the kid has done nothing to speak of and has played what, two full seasons at Div one football on a team that had some talent and did literally nothing. Chase Daniel in 2009, the QB Gabbert split time with, was hawked as a good one too. He went undrafted and is sat the bench at Washington and is now sitting on the bench at New Orleans. This kid Gabbert is a potential high priced bust waiting to happen.

Roonnette
04-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I don't like Gabbert and we have to many holes to fill
we need to trade down not up

Phins have no bigger holes that will be filled in a draft than a QB.

twohype
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM
There is no QB worth that much in this years draft.

Stay the course and you will get to the promise land. This is a good solid football team, there are ways to hide Henne's shortcomings and win. There is no need to panic at QB yet.

Don't fall victim to the "win now" mode most teams are in, it isn't conducive to long term success.

You are correct :-)

Kdawg954
04-12-2011, 07:47 AM

I respect that, but I'm just putting things in perspective . . . not even "everything" will get you Luck next year, more than "everything" won't get you Luck next year. . . only losing and getting the #1 overall will get you a prospect "like" Luck, so I think its very ill advised to even throw that "type" of scenario into the picture. This is the "type" of year where you can trade up and get a guy, because there is no clear cut guy IMO. A team would be willing to drop back a few spots and still get a guy they covet and probably accept less to do so.

If Miami has any feelings about any of these QB's being "special" . . . whether that is Gabbert, Newton, Mallet or whoever . . . if they want that guy, they better not sit at 15 . . . that is likely to be a mistake they will end up regretting.

BlueFin
04-12-2011, 08:09 AM
You won't be able to touch Andrew Luck unless you are 2-14 or worse. Thats a pipe dream and nothing to plan on.

Kdawg954
04-12-2011, 08:10 AM
The Jets moved into the top 5 and got "their" QB . . . and though many don't feel he is a great QB . . . 2 AFC championships say more than enough about moving up to get the QB that "you feel" is going to put your team in a similar situation. The kid is like 23 and has 2 AFC championship games on his resume. Do people not believe Gabbert can be a better QB than Sanchez?

BlueFin
04-12-2011, 08:25 AM
We have to get a QB, until we do we will not contend for anything.

Skree
04-12-2011, 09:59 AM
I just started a thread about trading next years picks on the main board. Come over here and you guys are all over it.

I'm betting Miami will not do it during the draft, but who knows ?

It wouldn't surprise me to see them do it in free agency, whatever that looks like.

JEDIJ007
04-12-2011, 10:21 AM
Cause he's not worth it.

uga3406
04-12-2011, 01:50 PM

cause we have nothing worth any team wants