PDA

View Full Version : Class Action Lawsuit Against EA Sports.

WeVie
04-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Looks like someone decided to sue EA over the monopoly that EA has over the NFL, NCAA, and AFL. Any game that was released after Jan. 1st, 2005 is part of the suit. I hope they win. This year is the first year I have not bought Madden in like 10 years. If they win, I will get what, $27.46? :lol: I made that number up, but it couldn't be much. The only thing this would do is make a lawyer even richer but it could allow others to make NFL games again too so that would be great!

A class-action lawsuit alleges that videogame publisher Electronic Arts has violated California antitrust and consumer-protection laws by overcharging for its popular Madden football games.

Law firm Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro is filing the suit, which claims EA’s exclusive licenses with the National Football League and other sports organizations hurts consumers. The license ensures that only Madden can use NFL team names and players. Since football gamers are by and large looking to replicate the NFL experience, this makes it extremely difficult for other football games to challenge EA.

The lawsuit also targets EA’s deals with the National Football League Players’ Association, the National Collegiate Athletics Association and the Arena Football League.

Some gamers reported receiving an e-mail about the lawsuit Wednesday morning. Anyone who has “purchased the Madden NFL, NCAA Football or Arena Football League brand videogames published by Electronic Arts with a release date of January 1, 2005, to the present” is considered a member of the class and is consequently eligible for any compensation if the lawsuit succeeds.

Wedbush Morgan Securities analyst Michael Pachter, who holds two law degrees, cast heavy doubt on the the legal action’s chances for success.

“I think that the suit is idiotic, and would bet it’s dismissed,” he said in an e-mail to Wired.com.

Exclusive intellectual-property licenses are commonplace across the games industry, Pachter noted. “Marvel doesn’t license Spider-Man to multiple movie studios or game companies, and they don’t have to,” he said, adding that consumers are not being overcharged since new Madden games are sold at the same suggested retail price as sports games that are not licensed exclusively. The original list prices for EA’s exclusive Madden NFL 11 and Take-Two’s nonexclusive NBA 2K11 were both $60.

Check it out here (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/04/madden-class-action-suit-ea/)

ROADRUNNER
04-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Oh please, let's have a lawsuit with jesus for not coming back when he said he would............

COphinphan89
04-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Good. **** em.

Gonzo
04-10-2011, 01:05 PM
It won't work. The only thing that will work is if people stop buying the crap product every year and force the NFL to sell the rights to another company. Unfortunately, that won't happen because there are brilliant people who pay the money every single year for minor or no changes to the product (and often the changes actually suck).

I haven't bought a Madden game in years. 2004 maybe? I'll stick to EA's FIFA and NHL products. It's strange that those continue to sell well and still manage to get better every year, unlike Madden. They must know Madden fans are stupidly loyal.

CedarPhin
04-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I haven't bought Madden since the one with Vick on the cover. It just steadily went downhill.

CedarPhin
04-10-2011, 01:47 PM
College football was always a favorite of mine though.

Dolfan3773
04-10-2011, 01:52 PM
College football was always a favorite of mine though.

I love NCAA....this years looks really good and the NHL game is always good too

ROADRUNNER
04-10-2011, 02:24 PM
NCAA only in the USA.............cant get it over the pond...........:(

WeVie
04-10-2011, 03:40 PM
NCAA only in the USA.............cant get it over the pond...........:(

will your system not play the region? if it will, couldn't you buy it online?

ROADRUNNER
04-10-2011, 03:54 PM
does'nt plat the region, but found one on ebay that's region free, thank's forgot all about ebay............

COphinphan89
04-10-2011, 04:34 PM
I haven't bought Madden since the one with Vick on the cover. It just steadily went downhill.
Last one I bought was the one with Shaun Alexander. But I like the NCAA game a lot too.