PDA

View Full Version : Why not double on QB?

normaniii
04-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Past history has shown that only the elite QB's (normally no.1 draft pick) start day 1 and are somewhat successful......so unless we sign a stop gap Free Agent QB the chances are we are starting with Henne.

I dont want a 'stop-gap'......and as we all agree......WE NEED A QB!

If then this is the most important position come draft day why not 'double up' considering the success we have had previously with this strategy .....http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2010-04-20/sports/fl-dolphins-nfl-draft-0421-20100420_1_vontae-davis-jeff-ireland-draft-analyst-gil-brandt

The chances are we trade down ....most likely around 24 & 56 (saints). If we do 'double up' at QB which 2 REALISTIC prospects would you want. Considering I believe & want Henne to start day 1.... I will go for the two IMO who have the most upside:-

1 (24) - Jake Locker
7 (207) - Tyrod Taylor

My reasoning for these 2 are they are similar types of QB's who can be coached together competing against one another.

I also like Jake Locker :crazy: IMO his strengths are all things that are difficult to coach up.......strong arm.....quick release.....toughness & leadership with excellent mobility. His weaknesses are IMO things than can be improved with coaching....accuracy & pocket awareness which reading a few scouting reports had in some part to do with no weapons or interior O'line.

If we were to double up then which 2 would you go for?

Kdawg954
04-11-2011, 05:52 PM
If I had to double up . . . from realistic options I would guess:

Locker and Yates
Ponder and Yates
Mallet and Taylor
Kaepernick and Yates

normaniii
04-11-2011, 06:00 PM
If I had to double up . . . from realistic options I would guess:

Locker and Yates
Ponder and Yates
Mallet and Taylor
Kaepernick and Yates

Why not Dalton & Yates :)

Love your draft!

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Mallet and Yates!

Dolphin39
04-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Pass on Tyrod Taylor!!!!!

Yes to Mallet, Yates, Ponder

Dolphin39
04-11-2011, 07:58 PM
Mallet and Yates!

Great choices sir.

Mallet, Ponder most likely would be impossible to achieve. Though the combo would be my favorite choices.

Fintastic2124
04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Trade down and go either Mallet-Yates, Ponder-McElroy, or Locker-Stanzi

DKphin
04-11-2011, 09:25 PM
Mallet and Yates seems like the best.

footsteps_falco
04-11-2011, 09:43 PM
draft locker yates and stanzi. **** it draft QB with every pick.

Aqua and Orange
04-11-2011, 10:05 PM
Mallett and Yates or Ponder and Yates.

We are agreeing too much. Somewhere Jeff Ireland is reading this and saying, "Wow. I like completely different people than these folks."

Roonnette
04-11-2011, 10:06 PM
When you double up on QB, that means you are not sure, and that's not a good thing. You may as well write off both on draft day.

Clipse
04-11-2011, 10:19 PM
I think doubling up on QB would be a good idea. No thanks on Locker or Taylor. I'd start with Mallett, and if he's no available in round 1, then Ponder. Then, I'd look at TJ Yates in round 4, and if he's not available, look towards Greg McElroy in round 5. McElroy is never going to be a star in this league, but I think he can be a great Chad Pennington like backup who can start for you without losing you games in case of injury or whatever. Not a huge fan of much else to be honest.

TKAllDay
04-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Why double on QB when you can single on QB (Mallet) and double on RB (Powell, Helu Jr)?!?1

Roman529
04-12-2011, 03:35 AM
If we were the Patriots and had two picks in each of the first three rounds we could do this, but I doubt the FO would be willing to do this, unless we are able to trade down. I would go with Mallett and Ponder as Ponder has played in a pro style offense, and Mallett has probably the most upside.

normaniii
04-12-2011, 04:27 AM
I would double up on QB & RB

ckparrothead
04-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I see Yates' name in this thread more often than I see any other QB.

Honestly it's an idea I originally proposed a while ago, started a thread about it. Yates would be a good guy to marry with just about any QB...very detail-oriented pro style passer. But, Ryan Mallett is a detail-oriented pro style passer. The original idea is that if you draft someone and marry him with Yates, they compete with one another, make each other better. I don't know that Ryan Mallett is going to think he has anything to learn from T.J. Yates, although Yates may have some things he could learn from Ryan Mallett in terms of staying aggressive and exploiting the entire field with his arm.

If I take Ryan Mallett, I'm not using another draft pick on a quarterback. I'm just going to battle with Chad Henne, Tyler Thigpen and Ryan Mallett. Get them into camp, have them in competition, see what shakes out.

If I take Christian Ponder...that's when I've got to think about hedging my bet. Ponder's not as strong a 1st round pick as Mallett, IMO. I think he's a worthy one, but not a paricularly strong bet. There's also enough differences between Ponder and Yates that they could make each other better, rub off on one another. They'd probably get along pretty well, too.

And if Colin Kaepernick becomes my guy, then I am DEFINITELY focusing on trying to take a T.J. Yates to hedge my bets and get those two to compete and make each other better.

bryan
04-12-2011, 11:24 AM
Give me a Ryan Mallett at #15 and call it a day. I now have my franchise QB and can turn my attention to other needs. If you take a QB at 15 he is going to get 3 years to prove himself......especially considering this year training camp and preseason may be cut short. No sense in drafting a backup QB this year and creating some unrealistic competition between a late rounder and your #15 pick.

Let's take a shot on a position like running back where a gem is more likely in the late rounds.

datruth55
04-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Give me a Ryan Mallett at #15 and call it a day. I now have my franchise QB and can turn my attention to other needs. If you take a QB at 15 he is going to get 3 years to prove himself......especially considering this year training camp and preseason may be cut short. No sense in drafting a backup QB this year and creating some unrealistic competition between a late rounder and your #15 pick.

Let's take a shot on a position like running back where a gem is more likely in the late rounds.

You mean kind of like Brian Brohm (2nd round) and Matt Flynn (7th round) being drafted in the same year for the Green Bay Packers?

JCane
04-12-2011, 12:38 PM
If we're trading down then we're obviously not taking a QB in the first round.

And this team has FAR too many holes to be taking flyers on TWO quarterbacks hoping that one hits.

The QB's in this draft are average at best. This isn't the year that we need to be paying a rookie QB big money.

greasyObnoxious
04-12-2011, 12:41 PM
You mean kind of like Brian Brohm (2nd round) and Matt Flynn (7th round) being drafted in the same year for the Green Bay Packers?

different situation. they had a starter and he was the only QB on the roster at that time. they needed some QB's.

datruth55
04-12-2011, 12:54 PM
different situation. they had a starter and he was the only QB on the roster at that time. they needed some QB's.

How many QBs do we have? Thigpen is a free agent (should that ever happen), Penny is done and the only signed QB we have is Henne...as far as I know.

TedSlimmJr
04-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Always use a late round pick on a quarterback. Always.

A late rounder has a very small chance of sticking on your roster anyway, no matter what position it is. However, should the late round quarterback stick, the reward could be greater than anything you imagined. Whether you keep him, or develope him and trade him off for a higher pick 3-4 years down the road.

This is how the Packers, Patriots, etc. operate...

ckparrothead
04-12-2011, 01:06 PM

That's a good example of what you'd be hoping for if you did trade down in order to grab a Colin Kaepernick or someone like that, and then you also paired him with a guy like T.J. Yates. The reality is they took quarterbacks in that Draft because they wanted to have options if Aaron Rodgers didn't pan out. So, as things stood, they were already trying to hedge their bets with Rodgers.

The Packers are an example of a team that knows you've got to have a quarterback to play in this league. They took Aaron Rodgers back when they still had Brett Favre, and they didn't have a very clear idea on when Brett would retire. They took Brian Brohm in the 2nd round because Rodgers hadn't played yet and they couldn't be sure about him. They also took Matt Flynn the same year. They'd probably be an example of one of those teams that thinks you've got to take a look at a new quarterback every year no matter what you have in the stables, because the position is just that important.

The thing I would worry about is reps. I don't know that you take four quarterbacks to camp. The reps are pretty valuable so I think you want to get only three in camp, and they've got to be the right three. The whole CBA thing is really throwing a monkey wrench in all this because ideally I'd have liked to have traded Tyler Thigpen or Chad Henne by now. If you do that, you have room for a second drafted quarterback. If you don't...I think you just go with Ryan Mallett at #15 and be done with it.

ckparrothead
04-12-2011, 01:09 PM
Always use a late round pick on a quarterback. Always.

A late rounder has a very small chance of sticking on your roster anyway, no matter what position it is. However, should the late round quarterback stick, the reward could be greater than anything you imagined. Whether you keep him, or develope him and trade him off for a higher pick 3-4 years down the road.

This is how the Packers, Patriots, etc. operate...

Even when you already have Henne and Thigpen, and supposing you take Mallett at #15? I don't know that there are enough reps to go around, and I think Henne and Thigpen are potentially saleable assets as well.

Show Me Your TDs
04-12-2011, 01:13 PM
The whole CBA thing is really throwing a monkey wrench in all this because ideally I'd have liked to have traded Tyler Thigpen or Chad Henne by now. If you do that, you have room for a second drafted quarterback. If you don't...I think you just go with Ryan Mallett at #15 and be done with it.

That all depends on how the CBA works out. Even though Thigpen was tendered he will more than likley be a FA once the CBA is finalized. I only consider having one QB on our roster (Henne) and why would you trade him. He has starting experience and is cheap. He is also capable.

bryan
04-12-2011, 01:18 PM
How many QBs do we have? Thigpen is a free agent (should that ever happen), Penny is done and the only signed QB we have is Henne...as far as I know.

I don't care if it is Thigpen (as a RFA depending on a new CBA), Brandstater, or whoever else they find to hold a clip board next year. If Miami has Mallett, Henne and ? = we are set at QB next year......and hopefully for many years.

TedSlimmJr
04-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Even when you already have Henne and Thigpen, and supposing you take Mallett at #15? I don't know that there are enough reps to go around, and I think Henne and Thigpen are potentially saleable assets as well.

If I were in a position to do it, I'd already try to get rid of one them in exchange for something of value now. I don't think either of them is going to increase their market value, and especially not here.

I'd get rid of either of them to make room for a guy like T.J. Yates to be my 3rd QB in camp. Whether that's because I drafted Mallett at #15, and had Mallett/Henne/Yates or Mallett/Thigpen/Yates... or Ponder/Henne/Yates or Ponder/Thigpen/Yates, etc...

The key is whether or not they try to acquire a veteran as opposed to drafting a quarterback high.