PDA

View Full Version : Puberty starting earlier for many girls: study

BAMAPHIN 22
04-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Girls are reaching puberty in life earlier than ever, research shows.

About 15 percent of American girls now begin puberty by age 7, according to a study of 1,239 girls published last year in the journal Pediatrics. One in 10 white girls begin developing breasts by that age - twice the rate seen in a 1997 study. Among black girls, 23 percent hit puberty by age 7.

On "The Early Show" CBS News Medical Correspondent Dr. Jennifer Ashton, an OB-GYN who specializes in adolescent care, said "early puberty," also known as "precocious puberty," has risks for girls.

"You have to remember, this is occurring at a time of childhood development where all girls and children want to do is fit in and look like the person sitting next to them," Ashton said. "It can generate a lot of fear. It's not cute. Adults can look at it and say, 'Oh, how cute.' It's really an adult body, a developing adult body in a child's age.'"
Ashton said the effects on girls can be emotional as well as physical.

"We know that girls of that age can suffer from low self-esteem," she said. "They can be subjected to more peer pressure, increased risks of eating disorder, even depression. They are known to participate in sexual activity in an earlier age because of this. Also, they can be shorter because we know that estrogen is one of the key hormones.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/04/12/earlyshow/living/parenting/main20053084.shtml?tag=cbsnewsSectionContent.1

WeVie
04-12-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't doubt that one bit. I know for a fact that the 15 year old girls of today are far more developed than they were when I was in high school. Sure we had the few girls that stood out but it's crazy now. It's way hard to tell these days if a girl is 16 or 19.

Myles Fynch
04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I'd be curious if this ties into the childhood obesity issue at all. Most of the girls that look like they are developing faster than they should are pretty hefty sized people. Not so many 7 or 8 year olds of normal body weight are swinging around C cups.

SpurzN703
04-12-2011, 02:05 PM
"Yes!" - perverts across the globe

WeVie
04-12-2011, 03:35 PM
I remember reading something one time that said something along the lines of it could have something to do with all the growth hormones that they use on animals. Pump a chicken full of growth hormone so it will have bigger breasts. Young girls eat chicken and grow bigger breasts too. I know it sounds like a joke, but I did read something like that a while back.

Rafiki
04-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I'd be curious if this ties into the childhood obesity issue at all. Most of the girls that look like they are developing faster than they should are pretty hefty sized people. Not so many 7 or 8 year olds of normal body weight swinging around C cups.

That's a good point. Adolescence can't happen until a girl is a particular weight. This is why it's postponed, at times, in stick figures like gymnasts.