PDA

View Full Version : Fins are impressed with Mallet

TKAllDay
04-12-2011, 10:12 PM
According to Rotoworld-- He is coming for his second visit this week . According to RW we may end up "Spending more time with him than any other prospect" ..
I'm all for this. Mallet at 15 and roll the dice. It's about time.

beanh8er
04-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Then when will I ever get to use this again:http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/RT1fp-1.gif

In all honesty though I feel like this: http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/2d0xclc-1.jpg

Nublar7
04-12-2011, 10:22 PM
Rotoworld is getting this information from the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/12/2164371/more-ryan-mallett-is-in-store.html

TKAllDay
04-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Rotoworld is getting this information from the Miami Herald:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/12/2164371/more-ryan-mallett-is-in-store.html

True I dont care where it comes from but I am excited to see our interest in Mallet. I hope we at least strongly consider him.

EvilDylan
04-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mallet will not be a prolific NFL QB.

Penthos
04-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Smokescreen ...?

Dogbone34
04-12-2011, 10:35 PM
miami is taking mallet at #15

X-Pacolypse
04-12-2011, 10:38 PM
I hope this interest isn't just some overly elaborate smokescreen. It's time to roll the dice on a first round QB again, the decade of bargain shopping hasn't worked.

EvilDylan
04-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Odd though that he wears #15 and we pick at #15

X-Pacolypse
04-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Odd though that he wears #15 and we pick at #15

Maybe it's destiny, if you believe in that sort of thing.

TKAllDay
04-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Seriously. Im not a "draftnik" or whatever they call themselves these days, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to watch Mallet's tape and see that the guy has a big time arm, can make most, if not all of the throws, and has the size of an NFL QB. He may not be the quickest QB, or even the most charismatic, but if the guy can chuck the football and win us some football games--- isn't that really what matters? The steelers won a SB with Big Ben at the helm. The Giants won with Eli. Our defense is going to be elite really soon. Mallet and some work on our interior line and RB situation and we are right in the thick of things. Mallet at 15.

NYPhin24
04-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I really hope this happens, although i have sad feeling tis regime will take an OL or RB because they need to win now to save their jobs and know theres no point in investing in a QB when you dont have time to develop him knowing most likely if you dont win games at home or miss the playoffs again with a collape, your more than likely out of Miami, thats what sucks about having a coach on the hot seat, hes not thinking about the future or investing in the Miami Dolphins he is thinking about his job, Thats why i hope Ireland mostly has the control knowing he will more than likely be there longer since he is considered a good GM and Ross seems to like him and know this is his first draft alone without Parcells and his 1989 draft strategy

TheMarshallPlan
04-12-2011, 11:01 PM
I really didn't think this regime was going to with Mallett at 15. which is a sad because i'm in love with his potential and I like his odds to succeed over any other QB in this draft. However anyone else catch the article on Parcells being regretful about picking White saying “He just wasn't a prototypical quarterback pick. He was a great college player, and we let that color our judgment.” I think Ireland really must feel the same way. I think Mallett is the closest thing to a top prospect thats a prototypical QB in this draft. The amount of time the dolphins have spent with this guy, and the amount of effort they put towards saying there not interested makes me think they are REALLY high on this guy, and i'm extremely excited about this because i love how mallet plays the game. Although being a dolphin fan i know if theres a guy you like as a fan and it seems like hes going to be drafted by this fins, he wont be....

MetalKev
04-12-2011, 11:25 PM
they can trade down and still draft mallet while picking up a 2nd rd pick

footsteps_falco
04-12-2011, 11:33 PM

you dont want to trade down too far, but i think we could get a 3rd and or 4th if we just move down maybe 5 spots and mallett should still be there. but you have to watch out for teams wanting to jump you ya know

Vaark
04-12-2011, 11:33 PM
3yrs ago Baltimore struck gold with Flacco, the 18th pick, 2 years back it was Tampa Bay with Josh Freeman @17. Both of these are big solid QBs, and neither of them were the 1st QB taken. So why can't we catch some lightning in a bottle @15 with with Mallett, 6'7" 253lbs who'll probably be the 3rd or 4th QB to be taken? This scenario's got the same sort of vibe, all around.

JerryD
04-12-2011, 11:36 PM
Wonder what Mallet's got between the ears??

That's what will make him a good QB.

Our last 15 QBs were a bit weak between the ears ... although many had great athletic attributes ... but alas, all that chuckin' & dodgin' & runnin' ... came to naught. (except for Penny)

PhinsPhan11
04-12-2011, 11:37 PM
I hope we take a chance on him and draft him at 15.

MetalKev
04-12-2011, 11:37 PM
i think its 100% chance that if miami finds a trade partner they will trade down. take Mallet with the 1st and Mikel leshoure in the 2nd. 3rd rd go OL or TE

Thundercracker
04-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Guys I don't see Mallett being on the board at 15. too many teams need a QB in the top 10. I would be thrilled if he dropped but I just don't see it.

Strangeworld
04-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Get Mallet and be done with it... Get an F'ing conviction on a QB and get him dammit!

TKAllDay
04-12-2011, 11:49 PM
And then we can pickup our Ray Rice :-)

NYPhin24
04-12-2011, 11:56 PM

Remember the Jaguars pick at #16 and need a QB and probably have more time to develop one with Garrard

NYPhin24
04-12-2011, 11:59 PM
i think its 100% chance that if miami finds a trade partner they will trade down. take Mallet with the 1st and Mikel leshoure in the 2nd. 3rd rd go OL or TE

that would be the absolute ideal draft, especially if that TE was DJ Williams, the offense would instantly be improved even if Henne starts, draft an OG in the 4th and 5th, Speed WR in the 6th, OT, RB, with first two 7th round picks for depth and competition, and with the thrird 7th round pick maybe a LB for depth and special teams

JCane
04-12-2011, 11:59 PM
Impressed with Mallett?

Of course we're impressed with Mallett.

Chad Henne is our QB.

Travis34
04-13-2011, 12:07 AM

I hope we can pull that off

Travis34
04-13-2011, 12:09 AM
that would be the absolute ideal draft, especially if that TE was DJ Williams, the offense would instantly be improved even if Henne starts, draft an OG in the 4th and 5th, Speed WR in the 6th, OT, RB, with first two 7th round picks for depth and competition, and with the thrird 7th round pick maybe a LB for depth and special teams

Sounds good if you ask me

ckparrothead
04-13-2011, 12:34 AM
If you think this is a smokescreen, you have to at some point decide...WHICH is the smokescreen?

Spending more time with Ryan Mallett than any other quarterback, maybe even any other player in the Draft period?

Or going out of their way to tell local journalists and even national ones (like Jason La Canfora) that they have no interest in Ryan Mallett and that the guy they're really interested in is D.J. Williams?

The Dolphins are playing both sides on this one, so which is the smokescreen?

Cauby
04-13-2011, 12:48 AM
I love it, but I heard Mallet has character issues. They also said Dan Marino had character issues as well, in 1983. Dolphins are too stupid to draft a QB in the 1st round anyway. I think we are going trade the pick, for a late 1st round pick and a second round pick. That would be the smartest thing to do.

Elliott 1
04-13-2011, 12:50 AM
Wonder what Mallet's got between the ears??

That's what will make him a good QB.

Our last 15 QBs were a bit weak between the ears ... although many had great athletic attributes ... but alas, all that chuckin' & dodgin' & runnin' ... came to naught. (except for Penny)

Fiedler was a smart guy. It was just that his arm and his brain were not on the same page.

A&O
04-13-2011, 12:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0uBItsSJI

Cauby
04-13-2011, 12:54 AM
Guys I don't see Mallett being on the board at 15. too many teams need a QB in the top 10. I would be thrilled if he dropped but I just don't see it.

Yea, I think your 100% right. Jake Locker should be available, but Miami doesn't like him for some reason.

JCane
04-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Yea, I think your 100% right. Jake Locker should be available, but Miami doesn't like him for some reason.

Probably because he sucks.

Cauby
04-13-2011, 01:00 AM
3yrs ago Baltimore struck gold with Flacco, the 18th pick, 2 years back it was Tampa Bay with Josh Freeman @17. Both of these are big solid QBs, and neither of them were the 1st QB taken. So why can't we catch some lightning in a bottle @15 with with Mallett, 6'7" 253lbs who'll probably be the 3rd or 4th QB to be taken? This scenario's got the same sort of vibe, all around.

I would be shocked, if Mallet is availiable at 15. If he is, Miami has to get him. Hell, I would draft Jake Locker, just to let Chad Henne know he needs to tighten up.

sm0kinfins
04-13-2011, 01:21 AM
I hope this interest isn't just some overly elaborate smokescreen. It's time to roll the dice on a first round QB again, the decade of bargain shopping hasn't worked.

agreed. Long over Ryan, Brown over Rogers... All this has been argued endlessly here on FH but I would love to argue about whether or not we made a mistake in taking a 1st rd QB for a change.

Roonnette
04-13-2011, 01:28 AM

Jake Locker may fall into fifth round. Andy Dalton is better than Jake Locker.

MadDog 88
04-13-2011, 01:55 AM
agreed. Long over Ryan, Brown over Rogers... All this has been argued endlessly here on FH but I would love to argue about whether or not we made a mistake in taking a 1st rd QB for a change.
Excellent thought. I'd much rather take a potential franchise QB and have him not succeed then a mid tier guy that is a project and not succeed.

MadDog 88
04-13-2011, 01:58 AM
If you think this is a smokescreen, you have to at some point decide...WHICH is the smokescreen?

Spending more time with Ryan Mallett than any other quarterback, maybe even any other player in the Draft period?

Or going out of their way to tell local journalists and even national ones (like Jason La Canfora) that they have no interest in Ryan Mallett and that the guy they're really interested in is D.J. Williams?

Ireland is a tough read and you can't tell what he is actually thinking. His slip up in 2008 of "building your defense around him" complete with feigned embarrassment was classic.

MadDog 88
04-13-2011, 02:02 AM
I really don't think Mallet will be there at 15. The rumors have died, his stock is up and there are 3 teams I would be concerned with. The Bengals, 49ers and Vikings. What I fear most is that the Bills will take him at 3.

Fintastic2124
04-13-2011, 02:59 AM
If we take him at 15, I just hope it's not one of those things you see on NFL network in 20 years "Can you believe that the fins selected Ryan mallet before Christian Ponder?! What were they thinking!?!?"

phinfan1983
04-13-2011, 04:41 AM
I could accept Mallet if Ponder is not available.

CANDolphan
04-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Seriously. Im not a "draftnik" or whatever they call themselves these days, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to watch Mallet's tape and see that the guy has a big time arm, can make most, if not all of the throws, and has the size of an NFL QB. He may not be the quickest QB, or even the most charismatic, but if the guy can chuck the football and win us some football games--- isn't that really what matters? The steelers won a SB with Big Ben at the helm. The Giants won with Eli. Our defense is going to be elite really soon. Mallet and some work on our interior line and RB situation and we are right in the thick of things. Mallet at 15.

If all you want is Big Arm and Size out of a Qb why on earth aren't you begging for us to take Jamarcus Russel out of retirement?
(not saying Mallett = Russell, just that you need more than a big arm and big body)

Kdawg954
04-13-2011, 06:30 AM

won't happen.

Kdawg954
04-13-2011, 06:38 AM
I haven't given up on Henne, but I am more than OK with drafting Mallet in round 1. However I havent seen him making it past 12 pretty much the entire time after the college football season . . . to think we can trade back and still get him is just asking for us to miss out on him.

fins_rock
04-13-2011, 06:51 AM
I think Mallet will be there at 15, and the phins will either trade down or pass on him. The fact that we keep hearing about their interest and additional meetings setup, it's like a tease. I for one am taking the, "I'll believe it when I see it approach" when it comes to Miami drafting ANY QB in the 1st rd.

tical
04-13-2011, 07:26 AM
To avoid alot of broken hearts, unless we trade up to get him, he aint falling to #15 folks!

JCane
04-13-2011, 07:28 AM
To avoid alot of broken hearts, unless we trade up to get him, he aint falling to #15 folks!

Broken heart?

:lol:

I'll breathe a sigh of relief if we don't get him.

tical
04-13-2011, 07:36 AM
Broken heart?

:lol:

I'll breathe a sigh of relief if we don't get him.

Why? Are you fine with our current QB situation?

LouPhinFan
04-13-2011, 07:38 AM
I think its a crap shoot that Mallett will be there at 15. Carolina is taking Newton, Bills will take Von Miller, but then you have wildcards in Cincy and Minny. They could take a QB or they could not take one. Tennessee appears to be interested in a QB. Arizona has an outside chance of taking a QB. The fact of the matter is, nobody has any idea that Mallett will be available for us at 15. Its just impossible to say until we're on the clock.

JCane
04-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Why? Are you fine with our current QB situation?

Absolutely not.

But I don't fix a flat tire with a bald tire.

tical
04-13-2011, 08:49 AM
Absolutely not.

But I don't fix a flat tire with a bald tire.

Okay! Just curious how you can label Mallet a "Bald Tire" when he hasn't taken a single down in the NFL? Whereas our current "flat tire" has and based on what i've seen we need to do better at that position.

GCD960
04-13-2011, 09:16 AM
I could accept Mallet if Ponder is not available.

This should be flipped around. Take Ponder if Mallet is taken already

ChambersWI
04-13-2011, 09:51 AM
I really don't think Mallet will be there at 15. The rumors have died, his stock is up and there are 3 teams I would be concerned with. The Bengals, 49ers and Vikings. What I fear most is that the Bills will take him at 3.

Mallett's stock is rising, but I don't think he'll go to Cincy. Not that they don't like him (I think they do), but they are switching to the West Coast Offense. I also think they like Newton a lot more.

Vikings, for some reason, I think like Ponder and Locker more than Mallett.

49ers are the wildcard

BlueFin
04-13-2011, 10:33 AM

Maybe, but you are rolling the bones. If you have a conviction on a QB, You don't mess around and risk losing him. When I think of some of the 2nd round picks we've had lately, its not worth the gamble to me to miss out on a QB if you believe he's got the goods.

It's too important of a position.

DAFINZ
04-13-2011, 10:33 AM
One of the few still standing in Henne's corner; I'm willing to draft a QB however. A few months back, I would've been in agreement in drafting Mallet at 15, but the more time has passed, the more concerns i have developed with drafting any of these QBs from this draft in the 1st round. I would rather we trade down (either obtain a lower 1st and 2nd round or 2 2nd round picks) and then look at Ponder in round 2. I think Mallet and Henne are very similar with attitude being the biggest difference. Ponder brings that athletic ability which both guys lack and all of us fans have been clamoring for. I was initially skeptical of Ponder's injury issues, but he seems to have been given a clean bill of health. Lets go get Ponder!

BlueFin
04-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Exactly, if this organization had it all to do over again, it would have made getting a QB a priority starting in 2000, we've wasted 11 years settling for journeyman and second tier prospects.

Without a quality QB, isn't it all kind of pointless?

BlueFin
04-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Thats what I'm worried about as well, I could see Minnesota grabbing him at 12 as well.

BlueFin
04-13-2011, 10:46 AM

Thats a good question, but spending that much time on a QB is normally a good indicator they want to get a conviction on a guy. I tend to go with telling them they have no interest as the smokescreen.

If they hated him would it would be worth spending the time to get one more prospect to drop a notch, wouldn't that really only possibly drop a defensive propsect possibly to us? I don't see any other offensive prospects that this would effect in regards to our position. I suppose it could help our tradedown possibilities though.

BlueFin
04-13-2011, 10:49 AM

I don't think thats true, Locker has to much potential to drop anywhere near that far. Somebody will roll the dice much earlier and hope he develops.

Aqua and Orange
04-13-2011, 11:16 AM
This may sound crazy, but should the Vikings have genuine interest and stand to take him at 12, I would not be opposed to trading up to 9 with the Cowboys to grab Mallett. They are interested in Pouncey, who should be around at 15.

Mallett sounds like the real deal and our franchise's second opportunity to get a great QB who falls because of bogus behavior concerns.

Aqua and Orange
04-13-2011, 11:18 AM
This may sound crazy, but should the Vikings have genuine interest and stand to take him at 12, I would not be opposed to trading up to 9 with the Cowboys to grab Mallett. They are interested in Pouncey, who should be around at 15.

Mallett sounds like the real deal and our franchise's second opportunity to get a great QB who falls because of bogus behavior concerns.

Another option would be to draft whichever QB is there at 15 between Mallett and Ponder. Should both be there, Mallett is our guy.

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 11:21 AM
evidently the patriots are quite enamored with jake locker...the colts are said to be scouting qbs hard also

Aqua and Orange
04-13-2011, 11:43 AM
evidently the patriots are quite enamored with jake locker...the colts are said to be scouting qbs hard also

This, my friends, is called "Making others think you like somebody to try to trade and get more draft picks."

ckparrothead
04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Thats a good question, but spending that much time on a QB is normally a good indicator they want to get a conviction on a guy. I tend to go with telling them they have no interest as the smokescreen.

If they hated him would it would be worth spending the time to get one more prospect to drop a notch, wouldn't that really only possibly drop a defensive propsect possibly to us? I don't see any other offensive prospects that this would effect in regards to our position. I suppose it could help our tradedown possibilities though.

I tend to think this way as well. Having spent more time with Mallett than any other guy is a technical thing. They've met a lot of the other QBs a lot of times, had private workouts, etc. It only gets brought up because at this moment Dol-Fans have like 80+ percent approval rating of the Dolphins coming out of this Draft with Ryan Mallett...and so a beat writer (Barry Jackson) is bringing it up.

But they have definitely gone out of their way to inform the local and national journalists that their interest in Mallett is minimal. Jason La Canfora came out with that report that Miami has no interest in Mallett and they're really interested in D.J. Williams. I've had someone local confirm the same thing to me, that the Dolphins are putting it out there that they only wanted Mallett present so that D.J. Williams would have someone to throw him the ball. That sounds like a line to me. Also I had a different local tell me that the word he got at the Combine was that they didn't like Mallett in interviews and they think he's a jerk or douche or some such. Meanwhile Peter King is a connected guy, did a big thing on Mallett the week after we did, and he seemed to go out of his way to express that he doesn't think Miami are in it for Mallett, but rather Seattle would be the spot...so who knows if Miami's leaks got to Peter King's ears.

Is our ship that leaky? Or is it a smokescreen?

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 12:05 PM
This, my friends, is called "Making others think you like somebody to try to trade and get more draft picks."

i think if that was the case they could find some better candidates to pimp than jake locker

Aqua and Orange
04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
i think if that was the case they could find some better candidates to pimp than jake locker

I dunno. He would be the highest rated QB with the most likely chance to fall that far to them.

JayFin327
04-13-2011, 01:51 PM
The Dolphins Front Office is full of surprises. No one thought we were going to be the team that Brandon Marshall got traded to last season. everyone thought he was going to Seattle. Who knows..maybe we do have a legitimate interest in Mallet (which I have no problem with)

Fintastic2124
04-13-2011, 02:06 PM
I think if Mallet's there we'll take him, but if not hopefully we'll trade down and take ponder.

Casas9425
04-13-2011, 02:23 PM
I tend to think this way as well. Having spent more time with Mallett than any other guy is a technical thing. They've met a lot of the other QBs a lot of times, had private workouts, etc. It only gets brought up because at this moment Dol-Fans have like 80+ percent approval rating of the Dolphins coming out of this Draft with Ryan Mallett...and so a beat writer (Barry Jackson) is bringing it up.

But they have definitely gone out of their way to inform the local and national journalists that their interest in Mallett is minimal. Jason La Canfora came out with that report that Miami has no interest in Mallett and they're really interested in D.J. Williams. I've had someone local confirm the same thing to me, that the Dolphins are putting it out there that they only wanted Mallett present so that D.J. Williams would have someone to throw him the ball. That sounds like a line to me. Also I had a different local tell me that the word he got at the Combine was that they didn't like Mallett in interviews and they think he's a jerk or douche or some such. Meanwhile Peter King is a connected guy, did a big thing on Mallett the week after we did, and he seemed to go out of his way to express that he doesn't think Miami are in it for Mallett, but rather Seattle would be the spot...so who knows if Miami's leaks got to Peter King's ears.

Is our ship that leaky? Or is it a smokescreen?

its difficult to guess what this front office is thinking which leads to a lot of bizarre speculation like Albert Breer's piece of crap article from last week. I highly doubt they would waste time heavily scouting Mallett just for a smokescreen

LouPhinFan
04-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Ah, the tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive.

Bam, I just broke out the Shakespeare on you fools!!

Kdawg954
04-13-2011, 03:33 PM
I dunno. He would be the highest rated QB with the most likely chance to fall that far to them.

Accuracy issues aside . . . what a great situation for Locker if he were to go to New England. He gets to learn behind an all time great. He already has the intangibles and athletic ability . . . he gets that Belicheck system down pat he could be a worthy successor. I know many of you probably want that to happen . . . but if Belichek drafts him, I think I can trust his opinion and what he sees. Locker would get atleast 3 or 4 years to sit and learn everything he needs to be successful.

It is a smart move by both Indy and New England to consider QB options, though it could be a ploy to encourage those early 2nd round teams who passed in round 1 to trade up and get their man they were hoping to fall in round 2.

TKAllDay
04-13-2011, 04:48 PM
If all you want is Big Arm and Size out of a Qb why on earth aren't you begging for us to take Jamarcus Russel out of retirement?
(not saying Mallett = Russell, just that you need more than a big arm and big body)

Yes I am begging for Jamarcus. You honed in on EXACTLY what I was thinking.

I am actually clammoring for a big armed, big body, risk taking QB who WINS GAMES. Jamarcus is a fat lazy big armed loser

Spesh
04-13-2011, 05:38 PM

As excuses go, suggesting we only worked out Mallet so he could throw to Williams is about as convincing as saying we drafted a wide receivers family. To me, that screams "line"(and an absurd one at that). You just don't spend this much time on one prospect if you are not interested in getting a read on his personality.

I personally am a Peter King fan. Despite the fact i have to stop reading any article he writes concerning Peyton Manning or Brett Favre(because of his creepy love affair he has with both), i generally find him well informed and willing to admit mistakes and make corrections(anti-Mel Kiper). I mention that because Bill Parcells, despite no longer being associated with the team at all, took a particular delight in deceiving King when they both worked in New York. King mentions it often, and they are even highlights of it in old press conferences from back then. Perhaps im connecting things that have nothing to do with each other, but i would not put it past his protege's to be targetting King for misinformation.

At the end of the day, we all seem to have the feeling that something "just doesn't add up". I have little doubt thats Irelands intent and, to me, that screams smokescreen.

BlueFin
04-13-2011, 05:48 PM
As I see it the real question is will he fall that far? I'm worried about Minnesota at 12.

Roonnette
04-13-2011, 06:13 PM

We can only hope that Locker starts for the Pats.

VileJaffar
04-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Fins being impressed with Mallet sounds like the kiss of death for me. I hope I'm wrong though.

Spesh
04-13-2011, 06:33 PM
As I see it the real question is will he fall that far? I'm worried about Minnesota at 12.

Many people have mentioned Minnesota, but there is a bit of evidence suggesting they wont take him in the first round.

Before the lockout Minnesota was engaging Denver is some very heated discussion about Kyle Orton. Then one day, the talks just stopped. Very little information was released, but apparently it was very sudden and immediate. To me, and with the new information that Denver is seriously looking at quarterbacks, that suggests Denver pulled the plug and not Minnesota. You dont express interest in a player(one that you used to play against no less) if you are suddenly going to stop talks completely. Even if Denver's asking price was unreasonable, you can still bargain and haggle. To me, Elway figured out Tebow is awful and figured he must keep Orton.

Couple that with Minnesota losing Pat Williams and Ray Edwards, i see the Vikings going after a defensive lineman. Their defense relies so heavily on the line play, i think theres little chance they dont try and replace at least one of those players. They did lose Sidney Rice, but apparently they made him a contract offer(and he wanted to test free agency). Offer made and rejected, they figured they were still in good shape with Percy Harvin, Visanthe Shiancoe, and old hand Berrian.
Minnesota isnt really rebuilding(though they need to). They have made indications that they want a quick fix so they can try for another superbowl run. They didn't clean house and they have made remarks about finding "the next Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco". To some, that might mean "young qb", but i could also read it as "quick starter". The last 2 years rumors have swirled around McNabb landing there. If they kept the old offense(i really have no idea) he would fit there system better then he did in Washington.

All of this is speculation. At this time of the year, and especially with no trades or free agency, thats all it could ever hope to be. But, personally, im more worried about Tennessee then Minnesota. If Gabbert falls to 8 and Nick Fairly still hasnt been taken, i'd feel elated at our chances.

Aqua and Orange
04-13-2011, 06:42 PM
Fins being impressed with Mallet sounds like the kiss of death for me. I hope I'm wrong though.

Agreed. It almost conjures a mental picture of Ireland seeing Mallett rifle a pass, then saying to Sparano, "WOW! This guy is so going to win super bowls for a team that is not us. Let's go back to the locker room and watch Mike Pouncey eat more."

finfan54
04-13-2011, 08:58 PM
i believe i read an article months ago that ross wants to build for future and no pressure on ireland-sparano to go all the way now, not roll the dice. so drafting mallett is building the franchise. The big picture would be we have two very capable QB's with one being the franchise. then things turn for the better should mallett be marino-like.

nyfinzfan
04-14-2011, 12:54 AM
If these guys risk their necks on Ryan Leaf....er Mallet I'll poop myself. Stay far away boys.

72PhinFan
04-14-2011, 01:48 PM
The Jets moved up to get Sanchez at 5. Whatever he is, he's led them to two championship games. If Mallett is available at 9, and the Dolphins wanted him, they'd move up in trade. But what could they use? They don't have a 2. How about pick #15 and next years first round pick for pick #9 and Dallas' second round draft pick for this year? And by the way, I believe Mallett will be a better QB than Sanchez.