PDA

View Full Version : Kdawg's 15 days until the Draft Mock/Roster for 2011

Kdawg954
04-13-2011, 11:47 AM
I think it is safe to say nobody has a clue what Miami is going to do in this draft. Will the QB finally be taken. Will we go "cornfed" lineman again, will we take a chance on Mark Ingram. Here is my current take 15 days from the day we have ALL been waiting for.

We will start with the draft first . . . since that is what looks like is going to happen first:

Draft - Miami trades #15 to New Orleans for #24 and #56
1(24). Ryan Mallet - QB - Arkansas
2(56). Randall Cobb - WR - Kentucky
3(79). Ryan Williams - RB - Va Tech
4(111). DJ Williams - TE - Arkansas
5(146). Steve Schilling - LG - Michigan
6(179). Derrick Locke - RB - Kentucky
7(217). Ryan Bartholomew - OC - Syracuse
7(218). Aldrick Robinson - WR - SMU
7(235). Anthony Gray - NT - Southern Miss

Now I don't know if Mallet's stock is going to stay in the 2nd round or skyrocket in the next 2 weeks, but based on where I am seeing him I think Miami plays chicken with him and lucks out by trading down and still getting him. I think they figure at 24, it is worth adding that 2nd rounder and hoping either Mallet, Ingram or Pouncey are there. They luck out and Mallet is still there. Continuing to retool the offense, we address the WR position with a guy who can pretty much do it all and has the speed to stretch the field in Cobb. Joshua Cribbs except this kid has more talent. With him and Marshall, talk about having 2 physical WR's in the blocking game. Ryan Williams is a guy we love and we are THRILLED that he is still around in round 3 as we are DJ Williams in round 4, who dropped a little because of size but Mallet and Williams reunite. Skipping out on the OLine thus far, we draft the best available potential pulling LG in the draft at this point in Schilling. We continue to add speed on the offense with the picks of Locke and Robinson. Bartholomew is our hopeful future at OC and Gray is a project NT. We decided to take our chances in free agency to look for a 3rd down pass rusher and for more OLine help.

Free Agency

Not going to speculate on Free Agency to much, I'm just going to list "In house Resignings".

I think Ronnie decides to come back on a short deal. He understands he underachieved last year and the Fins get him back on the cheap while grooming their 2 rookie RB's.

I put PS guys Feinga and Kopa on the active roster as well as Murtha, but this could easily be Free Agent Linemen. I also threw Moses back on the roster, but I think the Fins will look for a veteran 3rd down pass rusher . . . an older guy who just brings it on 3rd downs to assist Wake.

Expect a veteran 3rd down pass rusher and a big name free agent OL or 2 to be added. Also expect some big resigns which fills the cap up (Wake, Langford, maybe Jake Long).

Cuts - I cut Will Allen, Tyrone Culver, Kory Sheets, Roberto Wallace, Patrick Cobbs, Lousaka Polite and I didn't bring back Ricky Williams, Chad Pennington or Tyler Thigpen.

Roster

QB - Henne/Mallet/Bradenster (limited camp . . . Henne comes out the starter, how long is the question?)
RB - Brown/Ryan Williams/Locke (I really like this group . . . speed and power)
FB - Hilliard (offers more at FB than Polite who is an overrated blocker)
WR - Marshall/Cobb/Bess/Hartline/Wallace/Robinson (speed, veratility and toughness describe this group)
TE - Fasano/Williams/Shuler (another solid group)
LT - Long/Murtha
LG - Garner/Schilling
OC - Incognito/Berger
RG - Jerry/Feinga
RT - Carey/Kopa
(The OLine needs to get the right mix, whether that is the young PS guys or in Free Agency, expect a FA guy or two to be added. The 5 starters could be real good if they are all healthy.)

DE - Starks/Langford/Odrick/Merling/R. Baker (still the strongest group on the team)
NT - Soliai/C. Baker (Soliai coming back is HUGE, I like Chris Baker as a guy to continue grooming)
WOLB - Wake/Moses (I want a better pass rush from our 3rd round guy, is Moses FINALLY going to be consistent?)
SOLB - Misi/Francis (An underated group on the strong side, but I like)
ILB - Dansby/Edds (Good to see Edds back to help on 3rd downs and allow Dansby to move around)
ILB - Crowder/Dobbins (2 thumpers . . . both guys are in the last year of contract, strong ILB class next year)

CB - Davis/Smith/Caroll/Sapp/Ness (Allen just never recovered, I still like this group)
SS - Bell/Jones (finally move Jones over)
FS - Clemmons/Amaya (they love Amaya and Culver was getting good money, he had to go unfortunately)

P - Fields (very solid last year, hell one of the best on the team)
K - Carpenter (still a solid option, the new kickoff rules will help)
LS - Denney (consistent)

**Dolphins send Bartholomew and Gray to the Practice Squad**

Inactives - Bradenster, Ness, R. Baker, M. Shuler, Feinga, Kopa, Schilling, Robinson

So how do we look?

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 11:56 AM
i think if you drop to #24 with the eye on mallet you are putting yourself in a risky position that seattle only one spot later or someone else would come up and jump you

i hate steve schilling...no other way for me to say it

ryan williams in round 3 seems dicey...but you better pray he stays healthy

Aqua and Orange
04-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Wow, this draft would be insanity and Jeff Ireland would probably sell his soul for it. Have to think both of the Williamses that you mention will go way, way higher than this, and I can see Mallett going way higher in the first as well.

Kdawg954
04-13-2011, 12:07 PM
i think if you drop to #24 with the eye on mallet you are putting yourself in a risky position that seattle only one spot later or someone else would come up and jump you

i hate steve schilling...no other way for me to say it

ryan williams in round 3 seems dicey...but you better pray he stays healthy

I think putting Schilling next to Jake Long, who has worked with him at Michigan in 2007 could be an asset. Needs work as a pass blocker but he cis pretty quick on his pulls. I know Cam Jordan schooled him at the Senior Bowl practices but I think it is pretty decent value in round 5. He also can pinch at tackle, but that would be desperation at that point. I think he can start at LG in this league if we can develop him.

I agree, Williams in round 3 is chancy, but not impossible . . . I am also worried about the injuries which is why I think he drops but at 79, I think the Fins couldn't help themselves.

I think the Fins will "get it right" though they go about it the wrong way. I think they want that 2nd round pick so bad they are willing to chance losing Mallet only to let him fall in their laps at 24. Ingram, Mallet and Pouncey . . . whoever is there we take. Mallet is there, they take him.

Kdawg954
04-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Wow, this draft would be insanity and Jeff Ireland would probably sell his soul for it. Have to think both of the Williamses that you mention will go way, way higher than this, and I can see Mallett going way higher in the first as well.

I'm just banking on teams having durability issues on Ryan Williams and height concerns with DJ Williams. The Mallet theory is an enigma, but he still is being mocked as a 2nd rounder by many . . . I dunno, I think the Dolphins aren't sure . . . should have drafted him at 15, but luck out and get him at 24 and pick up a 2nd in the process.

Yes Jeff Ireland would do backflips for this draft . . . or atleast he should be doing them.

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
I think putting Schilling next to Jake Long, who has worked with him at Michigan in 2007 could be an asset. Needs work as a pass blocker but he cis pretty quick on his pulls. I know Cam Jordan schooled him at the Senior Bowl practices but I think it is pretty decent value in round 5. He also can pinch at tackle, but that would be desperation at that point. I think he can start at LG in this league if we can develop him.

I agree, Williams in round 3 is chancy, but not impossible . . . I am also worried about the injuries which is why I think he drops but at 79, I think the Fins couldn't help themselves.

I think the Fins will "get it right" though they go about it the wrong way. I think they want that 2nd round pick so bad they are willing to chance losing Mallet only to let him fall in their laps at 24. Ingram, Mallet and Pouncey . . . whoever is there we take. Mallet is there, they take him.

i would tend to agree with that...but i think schilling is hot garbage...if dj williams is being drafted as an hback 4th round thats outstanding value a steal imo...if it's a regular te i think it fits

i don't think randoll cobbs in play but i think he should be...love that kid...looks like a new england patriot to me and round 2 is where i think he goes

Heisman34
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Sounds great to me! I just hope your mock becomes Miami's real draft!

Kdawg954
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
i would tend to agree with that...but i think schilling is hot garbage...if dj williams is being drafted as an hback 4th round thats outstanding value a steal imo...if it's a regular te i think it fits

i don't think randoll cobbs in play but i think he should be...love that kid...looks like a new england patriot to me and round 2 is where i think he goes

Yea, I know they were watching him at the Kentucky Pro Day . . . but man talk about needing "offensive playmakers" and having that guy on the board at pick 56 (assuming the trade) . . . man I would be tempted. We always draft linemen . . . we need to draft some playmakers. Would definitely figure if New England finds a way to get their hands on him.

DJ Williams will be interesting, I think in a Chris Cooley type role he would be fantastic . . . in that case, I would probably try to draft a Julius Thomas shortly after and really get explosive on offense. Maybe remove Schilling for Julius Thomas and just go all out OLine in Free Agency.

I'm not nearly as down on Schilling as you are, but I'm not completely sold either. I think he has potential and he is made to be a pulling LG.

DKphin
04-13-2011, 04:18 PM
Cuts - I cut Will Allen, Tyrone Culver, Kory Sheets, Roberto Wallace, Patrick Cobbs, Lousaka Polite and I didn't bring back Ricky Williams (http://www.finheaven.com/forums/), Chad Pennington or Tyler Thigpen.
WR - Marshall/Cobb/Bess/Hartline/Wallace/Robinson(speed, veratility and toughness describe this group)Are you cutting Wallace or keeping him?

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Yea, I know they were watching him at the Kentucky Pro Day . . . but man talk about needing "offensive playmakers" and having that guy on the board at pick 56 (assuming the trade) . . . man I would be tempted. We always draft linemen . . . we need to draft some playmakers. Would definitely figure if New England finds a way to get their hands on him.

DJ Williams will be interesting, I think in a Chris Cooley type role he would be fantastic . . . in that case, I would probably try to draft a Julius Thomas shortly after and really get explosive on offense. Maybe remove Schilling for Julius Thomas and just go all out OLine in Free Agency.

I'm not nearly as down on Schilling as you are, but I'm not completely sold either. I think he has potential and he is made to be a pulling LG.

i'm hearing a lot that julius thomas is on the rise...but i agree with you kdawg that drafting dj williams and julius thomas is not a bad idea...i like it actually

Roman529
04-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Gre job KDawg...if we were able drop to #24 and get Mallett and the rest of the guys you listed I think that would be a great draft.

MRojas4
04-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Hmmm, like the info although I must say I would be for keeping Roberto Wallace, kid showed flashes of promise last season.