PDA

View Full Version : More Ryan Mallet is in store for Dolphins this week

FinAtic8480
04-13-2011, 01:11 PM
Tony Sparano, Jeff Ireland and two Dolphins coaches were having lunch recently in Fayetteville, Ark., with quarterback Ryan Mallett and tight end D.J. Williams when Ireland stopped eating his cheesesteak, turned to Williams and asked: “If we draft Ryan, what kind of player are we getting?”

Williams sensed Miami wanted insight into Mallett’s “off-field issues” and intangibles. “I brought up Ryan’s public intoxication [arrest in March 2009] and talked about how he has matured since,” Williams told us. “Most players just brush that stuff off their shoulders and don’t worry about it. But Ryan cares.”

Williams said Mallett didn’t hear his answer, because he spent lunch speaking primarily with Sparano. But Mallett, who impressed the Dolphins that day, will get more time to convince Ireland & Co. when he meets again with Dolphins officials Thursday and Friday at team headquarters.

The Dolphins have spent a lot of time with several quarterbacks, including Christian Ponder, Cam Newton, Ricky Stanzi, Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick. They’ve privately met with Dalton twice in the past month. But top Dolphins officials might end up spending more time with Mallett than any of them.

During his 45-minute Dolphins workout, Mallett “put the ball on the money all day. You could see the coaches say, ‘Wow!’ ” Williams said. “We did everything — roll outs, seven-step drops, the quick game. Usually, Ryan says, ‘I don’t know,’ ’’ what a team thinks of him after a workout. “But he felt very comfortable about what the Dolphins’ interest is. He was really good.”

Mallett, 6-7, is projected by some to go well after Miami’s first-round pick ( Mel Kiper and Todd McShay have him at No. 39). But NFL Network’s Charles Davis said Miami would be justified to take him at 15.

The questions about Mallett are well-documented: leadership, lack of mobility (“I’ve been doing a lot of footwork stuff,” he said) and questionable decisions at times. “The leadership thing is unfair — he’s a great leader,” Williams said, noting he was one of six captains voted on by teammates.

NFL Network’s Charley Casserly, the former Redskins and Texans general manager, believes Mallett is the draft’s second-best quarterback behind Blaine Gabbert and said, “The best one who ever played down there in Miami [ Dan Marino] wasn’t the most mobile guy. Mallett is not going to run for first downs, but he can move two steps, buy time and throw. He can slip the first defender. At times he didn’t see guys downfield. But he has a terrific arm, can read defenses and is pretty accurate.” Mallet had a 64.7 percent completion rate in 2010, to go with 32 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.

ESPN.com’s KC Joyner analyzed how Mallett and Gabbert fared in four 2010 games against top pass defenses, and Mallett was better except for interceptions. “Mallett’s combination of size, long-pass ability and willingness to take chances in the vertical game are very reminiscent of Ben Roethlisberger,” Joyner said. But NFL Network’s Mike Mayock said: “Every time I get excited, he does something from a decision-making or accuracy perspective that bothers me. When he goes bad, it’s because of pressure in the pocket.”

Mallett backed up Chad Henne for one year at Michigan before transferring and praised Henne for helping develop him.

“There have been times I have not come off the best way,” Mallett told The Cincinnati Enquirer last week. “Once people get to know me, they will find out what a great person I am.”

• The only top-four round quarterback Miami didn’t ask for a private workout or visit with since February was Washington’s Jake Locker, whose inconsistent accuracy worries some teams. … One longtime personnel man who met with quarterbacks said Ponder “is in the top five I’ve met in terms of intelligence, over the years. Newton thinks he had all the answers, and that rubbed me the wrong way.” … Kiper has Newton going No. 1 overall, Gabbert fifth, Locker 25th, Dalton 35th, Ponder 41st, and Stanzi in Round 4.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/12/2164371/more-ryan-mallett-is-in-store.html#ixzz1JQLfqZXw

ROADRUNNER
04-13-2011, 01:30 PM
Mallet or Ingram at #15 will be fine by me.............

justdev7
04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
Sweeeeet!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk