PDA

View Full Version : nfp's new 2 round mock...

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 03:03 PM
last time bunting had mallet at #15 now he's got him at #35...i've never been so confused with a player...ever

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Tworound-mock-draft.html

here's an interesting read about mallet against cover 2...something we know plenty about with henne

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Breaking-down-Ryan-Mallett-vs-Cover-2.html

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 03:13 PM
i swear if we take pouncey at #15 while a good player we are the biggest bunch of chicken ***** in football...for real

Kdawg954
04-13-2011, 03:15 PM
He also as Ingram going to the Steelers? Yea I think Ryan Mallet is by far the most confusing guy in this draft. People either really love him or really hate him to put him into round 2. The guy has legitimate top 10 talent and something is not balancing out right. I dunno.

Ugh at reaching for Pouncey at 15 . . . I like him, but damn man I rather go Mark Ingram if that is the case (or of course Mallet).

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
straight up...if they take pouncey at #15 they shouldn't even make it to day 2 of the draft...just hand them their walking papers right after they announce the pick...interior oline in the top 15..ugh...hit me with a hammer

i am preparing myself mentally for a total let down in 2 weeks...

spiketex
04-13-2011, 03:19 PM
i swear if we take pouncey at #15 while a good player we are the biggest bunch of chicken ***** in football...for real
Agree but if Pouncey is a solid starter for 10 years, it would be viewed as a good selection in the long term. I know it's not a sexy pick like Mallett or Ponder, but it probably represents lower risk, lower potential upside.

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Agree but if Pouncey is a solid starter for 10 years, it would be viewed as a good selection in the long term. I know it's not a sexy pick like Mallett or Ponder, but it probably represents lower risk, lower potential upside.

low potential is all i needed to hear...we need star power at some form of skill position on offense out of this draft...we got enough average non difference makers to last a life time...

and again i really like pouncey but like i said a month ago i guess it was unless you are getting steve hutchinson reincarnate you NEVER take an interior olineman in the top 20...ever...is pouncey the mold by which all other guard prospects should be measured??? i'm having a hard time believing that...if he was he doesn't come back to school after last year

greasyObnoxious
04-13-2011, 03:25 PM

definitely fits the "afraid of greatness" mantra

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 03:26 PM
definitely fits the "afraid of greatness" mantra

yep...these guys have safe tattooed on their foreheads it seems...go for it dammit

Kdawg954
04-13-2011, 03:29 PM
straight up...if they take pouncey at #15 they shouldn't even make it to day 2 of the draft...just hand them their walking papers right after they announce the pick...interior oline in the top 15..ugh...hit me with a hammer

i am preparing myself mentally for a total let down in 2 weeks...

As long as you are preparing yourself . . . just don't be suprised at anything. They could competely go OLB (Aldon Smith) here or OLine (Pouncey, Carimi) . . . with the likes of Mallet, Ingram and Ponder still on the board.

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 03:32 PM
As long as you are preparing yourself . . . just don't be suprised at anything. They could competely go OLB (Aldon Smith) here or OLine (Pouncey, Carimi) . . . with the likes of Mallet, Ingram and Ponder still on the board.

i'm never surprised...we were so key on trading back last year we took another damn de and a one trick pony pass rush olb...a few years ago we took in round 3 patrick turner...dude couldn't separate if his family was being held hostage...i broke my tv remote in like 10 pieces

DKphin
04-13-2011, 03:39 PM
here's an interesting read about mallet against cover 2...something we know plenty about with henne

Thanks for this analysis. I wish you would read more of this around the net. Might be boring to some, but I love this stuff.:up:

Minnphin
04-13-2011, 03:43 PM
I like Pouncey and could live with him in a trade down, but this team is too devoid of playmakers to come out of the first two rounds with only an interior lineman and I think they know that.

BobDole
04-13-2011, 03:48 PM
pouncey is the least talented of the twins. he'll end up being a good guard in the NFL - but he should go in the top of the 2nd. but i guess if you're okay with the middle-of-the-pack mentality, why not?

TedSlimmJr
04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
Thanks for this analysis. I wish you would read more of this around the net. Might be boring to some, but I love this stuff.:up:

Absolutely. The first part of QB evaluation I do is seperating the quarterbacks who can hit the honey holes against Cover-2 from the one's who can't. I'm not interested in watching a quarterback throw half a dozen 10 yard passes in a row... I like to skip right through all that and get to seperating the men from the boys...

The first and most critical aspect of beating Cover-2 is believing you can beat it.

emeraldfin
04-14-2011, 07:05 AM
Pouncey to Miami is starting to pick up steam. I wasn't a big fan of taking Ingram, but ****, anything is better than another ****ing lineman.

You know I could actually live with taking Smith in the 1st. At least you are getting a playmaker who can get to the QB and make a difference. Also good value at 15. Smith and Wake would be the stuff of nightmares for opposing OC's.

Its not the ideal pick, but it wouldn't be near the worst in my book.

datruth55
04-14-2011, 10:16 AM

Pre-snap read on this play was nice by Mallet. LSU showed blitz, had one linebacker drop back in coverage over the middle and sent 4. Arkansas had 3 WRs run routes (1 or 2 more than Henning would send when he went max protect. Didn't we have a lot of 1 and 2 WR patterns in max protect?) all on the left side. RB stayed in to pickup the blitz and did a poor job I might add but Mallet got rid of the ball quickly. That's an impressive play. It was on Patrick Peterson too who tried to jump the short route and got caught.

Kdawg954
04-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Pouncey to Miami is starting to pick up steam. I wasn't a big fan of taking Ingram, but ****, anything is better than another ****ing lineman.

You know I could actually live with taking Smith in the 1st. At least you are getting a playmaker who can get to the QB and make a difference. Also good value at 15. Smith and Wake would be the stuff of nightmares for opposing OC's.

Its not the ideal pick, but it wouldn't be near the worst in my book.

It isn't the worst pick, but not a pick I make with Mallet, Ponder or Ingram on the board. We are talking about a guy who is much better suited to be a 4-3 DE, who needs to transition to a 3-4 OLB, a spot where we have Wake and the versatile Koa Misi holding down. Sure, as a 3rd down pass rusher he would be IDEAL, but you don't take those kind of guys in round 1 . . . not with the offensive problems we have.

Good value . . . I dunno, Aldon is a good prospect . . . I really like him, but he is a bit raw and I think the JPP comparison is a good one here. JPP was extremely overhyped last year and ended up going after pick 15 after being considered as high as #2 overall. Great athlete, but he needs to go to a 4-3 system IMO.

j-off-her-doll
04-14-2011, 10:48 AM
It isn't the worst pick, but not a pick I make with Mallet, Ponder or Ingram on the board. We are talking about a guy who is much better suited to be a 4-3 DE, who needs to transition to a 3-4 OLB, a spot where we have Wake and the versatile Koa Misi holding down. Sure, as a 3rd down pass rusher he would be IDEAL, but you don't take those kind of guys in round 1 . . . not with the offensive problems we have.

Good value . . . I dunno, Aldon is a good prospect . . . I really like him, but he is a bit raw and I think the JPP comparison is a good one here. JPP was extremely overhyped last year and ended up going after pick 15 after being considered as high as #2 overall. Great athlete, but he needs to go to a 4-3 system IMO.

I don't see A. Smith as especially raw. He outproduced (by a small margin) R. Quinn in 2009. He has a very good pass rush repertoire. He's not a guy that gets by on athleticism - like JPP was. He's a football player and a play maker.