PDA

View Full Version : ***Official 2011 Florida Marlins Thread***

Dolfan3773
04-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Josh Johnson is nasty....he's so damn underrated

PhinsPhan11
04-14-2011, 06:38 PM
They are always competitive, but end up fading late in the summer. Maybe things will change for them.

Dolfan3773
04-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Win the series vs the Braves and open up a new series vs the Phillies with a win....

PhinsPhan11
04-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Win the series vs the Braves and open up a new series vs the Phillies with a win....
They are playing pretty well to start the season.

Dolfan3773
04-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Phillies beat the Marlins 3-2 today...

Adam First
04-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Hell of a pitchers duel today. It looked like both these guys could have gone nine innings, but Ubaldo slipped up early and JJ slipped a couple innings later.

The Marlins are quietly, record-wise, one of the best teams in the National League, and that's with Hanley and Infante mired in megaslumps and LoMo on the DL. To me, John Buck has made such a huge difference to this team. This team is actually fun to watch this year.

Keep it up, Fish.

Kdawg954
05-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Marlins with a real good win tonight over Halladay and the Phillies. JJ wasn't 100% on it tonight . . . but isn't that a scary thought considering he only gave up 1 run in 7 innings against the best team in baseball.

When Hanley snaps out of his funk and LoMo gets back . . . this team is going to be competitive every night. The bullpen looks much improved.

Nice to see 22,000 come out on a Tuesday night to watch JJ/Halladay go at it. I was looking for tickets late and my girl calls me to tell me she is working late . . . that would have been a treat to watch live.

Dolfan3773
05-10-2011, 09:58 PM
Another ND for JJ.....I feel bad for the guy

JCane
05-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Another ND for JJ.....I feel bad for the guy

Against the best team in the National League, plus a division rival who was three games up on you before the game, against the arguably the best pitcher in all of baseball....we'll take a W anyway we can get it.

Dolfan3773
05-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Against the best team in the National League, plus a division rival who was three games up on you before the game, against the arguably the best pitcher in all of baseball....we'll take a W anyway we can get it.

I'll take the W anyway but I still feel bad for the guy who IMO is the most underrated pitcher in baseball

Roman529
05-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Marlins with a real good win tonight over Halladay and the Phillies. JJ wasn't 100% on it tonight . . . but isn't that a scary thought considering he only gave up 1 run in 7 innings against the best team in baseball.

The Phillies gave that game away. They loaded the bases against JJ with no outs early on and couldn't score. That's what happens when you have guys like Sardinhia and Orr playing instead of Carlos Ruiz and Chase Utley. The Phillies had several chances to put up enough runs for Doc to win it but they screwed it up. No biggie. Good to see the overrated Braves getting beat by the Nats.

Kdawg954
05-10-2011, 11:55 PM
The Phillies gave that game away. They loaded the bases against JJ with no outs early on and couldn't score. That's what happens when you have guys like Sardinhia and Orr playing instead of Carlos Ruiz and Chase Utley. The Phillies had several chances to put up enough runs for Doc to win it but they screwed it up. No biggie. Good to see the overrated Braves getting beat by the Nats.

Gave away? Give JJ a few more props than that . . . he showed some toughness. He struck out the next 2 hitters, and got a ground out to retire the side. You could say the same thing about Hanley being in a slump and no LoMo who was killing **** early on.

Marlins got timely hits, the Phillies didn't. Halladay was awesome, but not good enough tonight.

JCane
05-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Josh Johnson gave up the home run to Ryan Howard, then proceeded to load the bases with NO OUTS and work out of it.

You load the bases with no outs and can't plate a guy or two, you just got handled. Period.

Kdawg954
05-10-2011, 11:59 PM
I'll take the W anyway but I still feel bad for the guy who IMO is the most underrated pitcher in baseball

I definitely think that was the case before the season started, but I don't think JJ is under the radar with his 1.63 ERA . . . didn't he start the all star game last year?

Not so much underrated than it is he just isn't getting the W's that help build up your Cy Young credentials. I think right now when people think of the top 10 pitchers in the MLB, JJ is on most of those lists, but your right, he is gonna need to some help getting some wins if he is gonna get those ultimate props.

Either way, 2 games back baby!!

Possum
05-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Josh Johnson gave up the home run to Ryan Howard, then proceeded to load the bases with NO OUTS and work out of it.

You load the bases with no outs and can't plate a guy or two, you just got handled. Period.

not once but twice.

Possum
05-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Going to try and make it to the game tomorrow.

CedarPhin
05-11-2011, 02:05 AM
I'm going to at least one game from the Marlins-Giants series in a few weeks.

Dolfan3773
05-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Mike Stanton is a baller....dude is sick

Kdawg954
05-21-2011, 11:08 PM
JJ hit the DL, but we got a gem from Javy today . . . if he plays anything like the Javy of old, this Marlins rotation is going to keep them in every game.

Leo is 17 out of 17 in save opps . . . he has come a long way . . . kudos to him.

And I sure am glad LoMo is back, and Hanley is starting to snap out of the slump. I think this Marlins team is 4real.

Possum
05-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Stanton is crushing it too. Well not today but over the last 2 weeks.

CedarPhin
05-22-2011, 12:56 PM
He's in beast mode lately. I've got him on my fantasy team.

Dolfan3773
05-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I got his autograph a few weeks back at some Marlins event

Kdawg954
05-22-2011, 04:00 PM
Marlins lose 4-0 today . . . Shields was excellent out there today. Sometimes it goes like that . . . JJ would have probably ended this game with an L or a ND AGAIN, so it kind of works out that he was able to rest the shoulder instead of going through the usual. Still got the series win against a good Rays team and head out to San Fran on Tuesday.

Nolasco vs. Cain should be a good one.

Kdawg954
05-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Once Stanton becomes more disciplined at the plate, the kid is gonna be putting up MVP type numbers. Sick thing is, he is only 21 :lol:

A right side batting Adam Dunn is the kids floor IMO, I think he is gonna remind us of Miguel Cabrera real, real soon.

cyoung
05-23-2011, 11:30 PM
If we can somehow pick up another quality starter for the back end of our rotation, this team has potential. Hanley is finally showing signs of heating up. It scares me though knowing that javy and volstad are going to start 40% of our games. One fresh face for the back side of the rotation will bring the confidence level up though.

JCane
05-23-2011, 11:49 PM
If we can somehow pick up another quality starter for the back end of our rotation, this team has potential. Hanley is finally showing signs of heating up. It scares me though knowing that javy and volstad are going to start 40% of our games. One fresh face for the back side of the rotation will bring the confidence level up though.

Sucks we don't have a guy like Dave Duncan who can dump a superstar like Adam Wainwright on the DL and then get career years out of guys like Kyle McCellan, Kyle Loshe, etc.

:bobdole:

cyoung
05-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Sucks we don't have a guy like Dave Duncan who can dump a superstar like Adam Wainwright on the DL and then get career years out of guys like Kyle McCellan, Kyle Loshe, etc.

No kidding. I like where our team is headed, but it's a shame because we're so used to having that loaded farm system, which is definitely not the case this year. I have no doubt that we will go after somebody, but how good will that guy be since we don't have top prospects anymore.

JCane
05-24-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm trying to think of who from the American League would be available at the trade deadline now...

cyoung
05-24-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm trying to think of who from the American League would be available at the trade deadline now...
I'm eyeballing somebody like Jeff Francis from the Royals. He would be a solid #4, and a lefty, which we need. Another option would be somebody like Pavano. We would have to open the wallet for him though. If memory serves me right, I think he is owed something like 20 mil over the next two yrs. That isnt counting this yr's salary.

Possum
05-24-2011, 03:07 AM
cant find the video, but sport science did a peice on mike stanton the other day. when he hit that homer in ny.

Kdawg954
05-24-2011, 12:53 PM
Are we done with Volstad? The kid showed soo much promise when he first came up and now he just seems to be hit or miss. I gotta think if Javy continues the upward trend and JJ gets healthy, he can serve as a #5 . . . can't he?

Something tells me we need to do like 2003 and get another late inning arm to match up with Leo (ala Urbina) . . . this rotation is gonna be fine, the bullpen I feel, like always, will make or break this team in the end.

When healthy, I have no problem with the first 6 batters in the line up (Coghlan, Ramirez, LoMo, Sanchez, Stanton, Buck) . . . Infante is here to stay, as he is great on defense and maybe he gives a little more from the plate as time goes on, he is usually closer to .300 than he is now. Third base is interesting as Dobbs is doing his thing . . . Bonifacio can play anywhere and Murphy is mehhh, but I think that rotation is doable. I heard about Baker maybe coming back as well? He was a nice surprise before he got hurt. I know he won't replace Buck, but that is a nice left handed bat to have on the bench if he comes back from TJS.

With the farm system being not as strong as in recent years, I doubt we see a big name come here by the trade deadline . . . but I sure would be interested in David Wright if we had the chance at him.

cyoung
05-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Are we done with Volstad? The kid showed soo much promise when he first came up and now he just seems to be hit or miss. I gotta think if Javy continues the upward trend and JJ gets healthy, he can serve as a #5 . . . can't he?

Something tells me we need to do like 2003 and get another late inning arm to match up with Leo (ala Urbina) . . . this rotation is gonna be fine, the bullpen I feel, like always, will make or break this team in the end.

When healthy, I have no problem with the first 6 batters in the line up (Coghlan, Ramirez, LoMo, Sanchez, Stanton, Buck) . . . Infante is here to stay, as he is great on defense and maybe he gives a little more from the plate as time goes on, he is usually closer to .300 than he is now. Third base is interesting as Dobbs is doing his thing . . . Bonifacio can play anywhere and Murphy is mehhh, but I think that rotation is doable. I heard about Baker maybe coming back as well? He was a nice surprise before he got hurt. I know he won't replace Buck, but that is a nice left handed bat to have on the bench if he comes back from TJS.

With the farm system being not as strong as in recent years, I doubt we see a big name come here by the trade deadline . . . but I sure would be interested in David Wright if we had the chance at him.
I was actually counting on Volstad getting out of his funk and settling in at #5. Vazquez, I'm not so sure about. His numbers have steadily declined....especially velocity. If he continues to improve like he did on his last outing, then by all means, leave it alone. I'm just not holding my breath.
Third base, I believe, will be left alone for a little while. Dominguez will be up this year, but they can't bring him up yet. They're probably gonna play the contract game and wait so that he won't be elidgible for super 2, which would give him a pay raise before standard arbitration. David Wright may be an option for us, but that would undoubtedly require us giving up Dominguez plus a few more. That would be fine, except it would further deplete the farm system. If that happens, Loria will really have to open up the wallet. Not only for David Wright, but also to restock the farm system through free agency. Again, I'm fine with this, as long as the FO is willing to make the increase in payroll.
I believe the bullpen will be ok. we do have a few guys in the minors that would be well suited for the bullpen, just not the rotation. If there is any way possible, I think they have to bring in somebody for the rotation, even if it isn't needed as the deadline approaches. If the rotation holds up, then take the weakest link out of Volstad, Vasquez, and player X and send him to the bullpen. Also, JJ and Anibal ar racking up a nice injury history...you never know.

Kdawg954
05-24-2011, 04:14 PM
I was actually counting on Volstad getting out of his funk and settling in at #5. Vazquez, I'm not so sure about. His numbers have steadily declined....especially velocity. If he continues to improve like he did on his last outing, then by all means, leave it alone. I'm just not holding my breath.
Third base, I believe, will be left alone for a little while. Dominguez will be up this year, but they can't bring him up yet. They're probably gonna play the contract game and wait so that he won't be elidgible for super 2, which would give him a pay raise before standard arbitration. David Wright may be an option for us, but that would undoubtedly require us giving up Dominguez plus a few more. That would be fine, except it would further deplete the farm system. If that happens, Loria will really have to open up the wallet. Not only for David Wright, but also to restock the farm system through free agency. Again, I'm fine with this, as long as the FO is willing to make the increase in payroll.
I believe the bullpen will be ok. we do have a few guys in the minors that would be well suited for the bullpen, just not the rotation. If there is any way possible, I think they have to bring in somebody for the rotation, even if it isn't needed as the deadline approaches. If the rotation holds up, then take the weakest link out of Volstad, Vasquez, and player X and send him to the bullpen. Also, JJ and Anibal ar racking up a nice injury history...you never know.

Yea I get what your saying, just worried about the late season collapses from our bullpen going all the way back to 2004 even, but I'm not in tune with the farm system like that so I am hopeful we have some young quality arms who can provide us some relief pitching for a potential playoff run in September.

I forgot about Dominguez . . . good call, I think we can probably stick with the unsteadiness at 3b and wait for him. And you make a good point about needing another starter, even if he is somebody like a Julian Tavarez type . . . a rubber arm in the bullpen but can give you a quality start in a short notice scenario or like you said, take over for a struggling Vazquez or Volstad.

cyoung
05-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Gaby and Stanton are animals!

JCane
05-26-2011, 01:10 AM
Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton!

JCane
05-26-2011, 01:31 AM
Un****ingreal.

Dolphins7273
05-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Poor Buster Posey saw some stars last night. Hope he makes a full recovery.

cyoung
05-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Poor Buster Posey saw some stars last night. Hope he makes a full recovery.

I was surprised to find out this morning what had happened. Being an FSU fan, i'm obviously a Buster Posey fan. Hate tp see that happen. Praying that he makes a fully recovery.

JCane
06-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Marlins up 4 - 3 on the Diamonbacks out in Arizona. Bottom of the sixth inning currently.

Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton has a home run, a triple, and a single. Needs a double to be the first player in Florida Marlins history to hit for the cycle.

Could see two more at-bats.

:woot:

Dolfan3773
06-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Marlins up 4 - 3 on the Diamonbacks out in Arizona. Bottom of the sixth inning currently.

Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton has a home run, a triple, and a single. Needs a double to be the first player in Florida Marlins history to hit for the cycle.

Could see two more at-bats.

:woot:

That would be sweet

JCane
06-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Stanton at-bat...

JCane
06-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Three pitch swinging strikeout.

JCane
06-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Did I mention that the Marlins blew a 4 - 0 lead and now trail 5 - 4 in the bottom of the eighth.

Adam First
06-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Time to cut Javier Vasquez loose

He's costing this team games

Adam First
06-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Edwin Rodriguez out, Jack McKeon in?

I hate this team right now.

SpurzN703
06-20-2011, 04:03 PM
WTF is going to with Florida?

Dolfan3773
06-21-2011, 11:10 PM
We won tonight :D

PhinsPhan11
06-21-2011, 11:19 PM
We won tonight :D
It took them long enough.

Dolfan3773
07-03-2011, 03:36 PM
Congrats to Gaby Sanchez for getting into the All-Star Game!

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110703&content_id=21340502&vkey=news_fla&c_id=fla

Dolfan3773
07-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Mike Stanton walk off!

PhinsPhan11
07-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Mike Stanton walk off!
I knew when Baez came in the game was over, but he freakin crushed that pitch. Oh well, on to the Braves.

JCane
07-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Giancarlo Cruz Michael Stanton is a MAN!

Dolfan3773
07-16-2011, 09:35 PM
Marlins have been pretty hot...blasted the Cubs today, Stanton with a huge game