04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks! Setting my DVR!

hooshoops
04-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks! Setting my DVR!

exactly...

ckparrothead
04-13-2011, 11:09 PM
That's a nice video. I look forward to seeing the full thing.

Ryan Mallett is Ryan Mallett. Same guy. Honest about himself, willing to work on his faults, extremely good on the whiteboard.

The thing he has is polish in these kinds of situations where he's in front of the media or in front of people and he doesn't know how they're going to react to him. That's where the yes sir, no sir stuff comes from. He's been taught how to act with people like this, probably by his parents, and he's been doing it since high school. That's what I didn't get about that media session in Indy. They went for the kill and he wouldn't give it to them, and I think that's ultimately why they ripped him afterward. Ben Volin was there, he had no issues with it. In fact he tweeted something like "My didn't he handle that well". When I saw that tweet honestly I thought he was being sarcastic but it turns out he wasn't.

He has some dirt underneath his fingernails. I'm not doubting that. But it has to be put within a context.

Fintastic2124
04-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Unfortunately I don't have ESPNU...I really wish I could see this.

PJack
04-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Really like what I see here specifically the white board discussion.

Odd that they threw John Daly on the piece with Mallett. Guess Daly is from Arkansas. Really hope Mallett isn't friends with Daly though. Daly has been an emotional mess and alcoholic for years. Not exactly the influence you'd want around him.

ckparrothead
04-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Nah what's on now is just the preview. The full half hour program is on at midnight.

You know I meant to say, there's one play when Gruden is praising the cannon arm, and then says but look at how clean that pocket is. That was definitely true on that play. Nice clean pocket. But more than the clean pocket what I noticed was how he moved on the play. The camera angle was nice and head on view so it gives you a nice perspective on this. All he's doing is reading the field from the pocket, but in about three beats he bounced about 7 feet to his left like it was nothing...before he released that ball. This is what I don't think people get sometimes when they say he's got lead feet. Maybe a little bit, but to me a guy with lead feet doesn't bounce around like that in the pocket.

PJack
04-13-2011, 11:45 PM
Was looking around for some details on Mallett. Found this as it relates to this episode. Assuming there's some truth to it, glad to see he wasn't given the questions up front. If so, it could give us a decent feel on his football IQ and attitude.

http://www.illegalshift.com/2011/03/31/details-of-ryan-malletts-qb-camp-episode-with-jon-gruden/nfl/

ckparrothead
04-14-2011, 12:11 AM
Most interesting answer so far...what's in his headphones on game day? AC/DC, Johnny Cash. LOL.

Dogbone34
04-14-2011, 12:16 AM
gruden deserves an emmy

mallet is a young dude.

i'm still taking him at #15

ckparrothead
04-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Boy Gruden put him through his paces on that practice field. Nice workout.

Casas9425
04-14-2011, 12:38 AM
he was impressive on the white board.

Casas9425
04-14-2011, 12:39 AM
CK do you think the Phins will draft Mallett?

ckparrothead
04-14-2011, 12:56 AM
Can't tell. They're either really thinking about it hard or playing the smokescreen game pretty well.

You know, it's entirely possible that they're trying to see if the Seahawks don't give them a call on draft day and say hey, what do you want for us to move up and take Mallett. Dolphins move from #15 to #25 and in return they take Seattle's #57 pick. The values match up exactly on the trade chart.

I mean, they could be on to Mallett, but they could also be trying to get that kind of thing cooking. It's difficult to know.

If I had to create a Mock right now...I would probably have Miami taking Mallett at #15. This is based on Miami's taking continued looks at the guy even though they WERE going pretty hard out of their way to convince local and national journalists that they didn't like Mallett and they're only in it to see D.J. Williams. Of course, we get closer to the Draft, more and more local and national journalists are smelling something rotten about all that word they put out that they don't like Mallett. That's why the Mallett-Miami stuff has gotten hot and heavy.

If the Seahawks were to call them up on the phone and say we'll give you that #57 if you let us move up and take Mallett...I think Miami would do it and take Ponder at #25.

SR 7
04-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Can't tell. They're either really thinking about it hard or playing the smokescreen game pretty well.

You know, it's entirely possible that they're trying to see if the Seahawks don't give them a call on draft day and say hey, what do you want for us to move up and take Mallett. Dolphins move from #15 to #25 and in return they take Seattle's #57 pick. The values match up exactly on the trade chart.

I mean, they could be on to Mallett, but they could also be trying to get that kind of thing cooking. It's difficult to know.

If I had to create a Mock right now...I would probably have Miami taking Mallett at #15. This is based on Miami's taking continued looks at the guy even though they WERE going pretty hard out of their way to convince local and national journalists that they didn't like Mallett and they're only in it to see D.J. Williams. Of course, we get closer to the Draft, more and more local and national journalists are smelling something rotten about all that word they put out that they don't like Mallett. That's why the Mallett-Miami stuff has gotten hot and heavy.

If the Seahawks were to call them up on the phone and say we'll give you that #57 if you let us move up and take Mallett...I think Miami would do it and take Ponder at #25.

Bc Miami doesn't take who thrg like rhey try to get quantity over quality. mallet is better than Ponder in my opinion.

****, Marino couldn't run for **** but had pocket presence just like Mallet but omw thing to remember, these athletes now are freaks of nature so it is changing slowly.

ckparrothead
04-14-2011, 01:27 AM
I'm convinced. I think Mallett's got a shot.

justdev7
04-14-2011, 03:00 AM
I was surprised that he listens to johnny cash lol. Not exactly conventional game day music. But whatever works for you.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

j-off-her-doll
04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
I was surprised that he listens to johnny cash lol. Not exactly conventional game day music. But whatever works for you.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

"Cocaine Blues."

Jkjkjk

LouPhinFan
04-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Are they rerunning it at all this evening?

Casas9425
04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm convinced. I think Mallett's got a shot.
a shot to get drafted by the Phins?

DAFINZ
04-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Most interesting answer so far...what's in his headphones on game day? AC/DC, Johnny Cash. LOL.
Appropriate gameday music or not, I dig the guy's music taste!

Show Me Your TDs
04-14-2011, 11:00 AM
I thought he did extremely well on the white board as he should. Gives you a clue as to how much knowledge a pro style QB has to process at the line pre snap. I didn't like how the program ended with Mallett saying "I can't breathe" as if he was exhausted. Sure Gruden put it to him but you never want a prospect winded and complaining. I did take this with a grain of salt though since I have no idea how long they were out filming on the field. Now compare this the Dalton episode and one can see how much a better prospect Mallett just is. Dalton kinda rubbed me the wrong way in his class session. I thought he lacked personality like Locker and Mallett showed. I didn't like Dalton before and came away even more depressed if Miami chooses to select him. I'm all in on Mallett.

j-off-her-doll
04-14-2011, 11:01 AM

They omitted his original answer: Lil John and Eminem.

Kidding.

tical
04-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Are they rerunning it at all this evening?

2nd that! did we miss it? or will it re-air or can be watched online?

ckparrothead
04-14-2011, 01:35 PM
I thought he did extremely well on the white board as he should. Gives you a clue as to how much knowledge a pro style QB has to process at the line pre snap. I didn't like how the program ended with Mallett saying "I can't breathe" as if he was exhausted. Sure Gruden put it to him but you never want a prospect winded and complaining. I did take this with a grain of salt though since I have no idea how long they were out filming on the field. Now compare this the Dalton episode and one can see how much a better prospect Mallett just is. Dalton kinda rubbed me the wrong way in his class session. I thought he lacked personality like Locker and Mallett showed. I didn't like Dalton before and came away even more depressed if Miami chooses to select him. I'm all in on Mallett.

Winded, yeah he's going to have to learn to keep a pace in the NFL and not get so winded. But I liked that Gruden really pushed him hard with the tempo and was getting him winded, never asked him if he needs any breaks or anything just had him keep on going thru drill after drill. Winded or not, you've got to execute, and Mallett executed. There was a point when looking at Mallett an imagining myself that winded, Gruden's giving him instructions on the drill and I'm wondering if I personally even would have been able to hear him or mentally process what he was telling me. But then he went out and was under control, executed the exact five step drop no hitch play and got his front shoulder down. At the end I didn't take that as a complaint at all, I thought he was just joking around.

I insist on this. Bad characters don't study the game like Ryan Mallett does, and if they do, and they have talent to go with the studying, then the NFL doesn't care if they're bad characters.

Show Me Your TDs
04-14-2011, 02:25 PM
I insist on this. Bad characters don't study the game like Ryan Mallett does, and if they do, and they have talent to go with the studying, then the NFL doesn't care if they're bad characters.

This part of the episode is the most intriguing aspect of the Gruden series. Being able to diagnose plays and draw them up as if they invented them. This gives you insight on a small scale as to what its like in the interview process for the draftees. I thought Mallet did very well especially compared to the previous two. I was amazed as to how much was going on in this one play. This is also why I hate the wonderlic score. Its very clear that Pentrino's system requires a very intelligent QB to run. Now compare that with Ponder's offense under Fisher.

ckparrothead
04-14-2011, 03:42 PM
The one to compare it to was Dalton's play he had to draw up. I don't think he wanted to draw this one up because he made such an awful decision on the throw. But either way...you want to talk about simple. Four verticals, one outlet.

JG: "What are you reading on this play?"
AD: (points with marker) "1, 2, 3"

I mean, seriously? Can't go into it a little more than that? Talk about a way to highlight how incredibly simple your offense was and how you could make a ridiculously bad decision even though it should have been a simple one.

Show Me Your TDs
04-14-2011, 04:03 PM
The one to compare it to was Dalton's play he had to draw up. I don't think he wanted to draw this one up because he made such an awful decision on the throw. But either way...you want to talk about simple. Four verticals, one outlet.

JG: "What are you reading on this play?"
AD: (points with marker) "1, 2, 3"

I mean, seriously? Can't go into it a little more than that? Talk about a way to highlight how incredibly simple your offense was and how you could make a ridiculously bad decision even though it should have been a simple one.

As I said in a previous post I really hope we don't select Dalton. The feature on Gruden's show did no favors for him in my opinion.

ckparrothead
04-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Never been a big fan. Truthfully I don't like either player but I might like Locker more than him. That's saying a lot.

Aqua and Orange
04-14-2011, 04:22 PM

Wow. I would actually be extremely happy with the Dolphins if they are able to trade back that far and take Ponder.

...That is a BIG "if" though. Not only would it be a bad idea if the Dolphins did indeed uncover that Mallett was the superior prospect to Ponder, but nine picks hoping that no one trades in front of them to take Ponder is scary. I know this team is all about maximizing the amount of shots they have to get it right in the draft, but at a certain point it is wise to take quality over quantity.

It's a "no duh" statement, but I guess this all really depends on their assessment of Mallett's ability.

Fintastic2124
04-14-2011, 04:22 PM
I couldn't watch this cause of work so it BETTER be up somewhere.....please.

Show Me Your TDs
04-14-2011, 04:25 PM
Yeah I have Locker ahead of Dalton. I'm not as down on Locker as you but I clearly hope we come nowhere close to selecting Dalton. I just don't understand the fascination. Its almost as if people become glued to the winning percentage more so than ability.

hooshoops
04-14-2011, 05:07 PM
They omitted his original answer: Lil John and Eminem.

Kidding.

i think we got the made for tv answer...

hooshoops
04-14-2011, 06:20 PM
i did see something that bothered me on that film study that gruden pointed out...it looked to me like mallet presnap on one of those cuts failed to identify an unaccounted for edge blitzer despite to my knowledge the guy standing at the los the entire time presnap...this guy wasn't walking up at the snap there was zero intention to disguise the blitz and instead of mallet coming to the los and identifying it and checking out to a run to the opposite side where it looked like the numbers were even and there was potential for a soft corner or going to a hot call to get the ball out of hand in a hurry he carried out the initial play and rolled out right into the oncoming unaccounted for edge rush pressure...a waste play pretty much...there was nothing exotic about that...you got to identify it and check into something more favorable...

i also know that mallet seemed to get perturbed a bit with gruden when gruden said in essence he can't handle empty backfield protection calls off of what he was seeing...

lots of blitz packages coming his way

LouPhinFan
04-14-2011, 09:53 PM
I couldn't watch this cause of work so it BETTER be up somewhere.....please.

Its rerunning on ESPN2 Friday night at 7:30. I've already got my DVR set.

PJack
04-14-2011, 10:28 PM
i did see something that bothered me on that film study that gruden pointed out...it looked to me like mallet presnap on one of those cuts failed to identify an unaccounted for edge blitzer despite to my knowledge the guy standing at the los the entire time presnap...this guy wasn't walking up at the snap there was zero intention to disguise the blitz and instead of mallet coming to the los and identifying it and checking out to a run to the opposite side where it looked like the numbers were even and there was potential for a soft corner or going to a hot call to get the ball out of hand in a hurry he carried out the initial play and rolled out right into the oncoming unaccounted for edge rush pressure...a waste play pretty much...there was nothing exotic about that...you got to identify it and check into something more favorable...

i also know that mallet seemed to get perturbed a bit with gruden when gruden said in essence he can't handle empty backfield protection calls off of what he was seeing...

lots of blitz packages coming his way

Saw that same thing. Also saw two plays with of the exact same blitz scheme come up the middle that he didn't adjust to very well. While I suspect a RB should have picked it up, I was concerned he didn't recognize the play the second time around. I think it's definitely something he can learn but you'd think a guy with such little mobility would flat out point out possible middle pressure like Peyton Manning does when making pre-snap reads.

Bottom line is I like him a bit more now than I did before watching this. While you have to be concerned with all the whispers surrounding Mallett, I have a real hard time logically thinking a guy can significantly improve each year in the best conference in college football while at the same time having a significant drug problem.

Aqua and Orange
04-14-2011, 10:41 PM
To me, Mallett sounded like a moron right up to the point of writing on the whiteboard. Then, his savant side took over and he blew Gruden away.

That said, I don't know what it is but I can't see a guy like this getting along with Ireland. Ireland seems to be more of a Ponder nerd type.

j-off-her-doll
04-15-2011, 08:08 AM
To me, Mallett sounded like a moron right up to the point of writing on the whiteboard. Then, his savant side took over and he blew Gruden away.

That said, I don't know what it is but I can't see a guy like this getting along with Ireland. Ireland seems to be more of a Ponder nerd type.

Think you're judging him based on his accent.