PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi: Dolphins heavily scouting Ryan Mallett

Casas9425
04-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Mike Lombardi on NFL Network's Path to the Draft had the Dolphins trading up with the Redskins for Mallett. Lombardi said that Mallett can step in and start from day one and that the Dolphins have been calling a lot of people and asking for information on Mallett. Lombardi is friends with Bill Parcells and Sparano.

Fintastic2124
04-13-2011, 11:18 PM
What could we possibly trade up???

PhinsTD
04-13-2011, 11:19 PM
That would insinuate we feel the Vikes would take him at 12. Skins would probably hope Locker or Ponder would be there at 15.

I just can't see Miami trading up this year. Too few picks, and do we really want to give up next year's second to move up? I can't see it.

nate52
04-13-2011, 11:22 PM
If they feel Mallet is the guy then trade up and get him. Give them 15, a 4th, and 7 rounder for 10th pick.

footsteps_falco
04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
i saw that segment, if gabbert fell to five at arizona i would trade up 10 spots to get there, could probably give up a 2nd next year or maybe 3rd and a 4th this year

CANDolphan
04-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Are you guys insane? You think to move up from 15 to 10 it would only take a 4th rounder? From 15 to 5 it would only take a future 2nd? Seriously?

nyfinzfan
04-14-2011, 12:46 AM
I just threw up in my mouth a little....I want nothing to do with Mallet.

sinPHIN
04-14-2011, 12:47 AM
give up a 4th and some late picks this year and a 3rd next. **** it. if he is the guy do what it takes to get him.

Spesh
04-14-2011, 01:13 AM
Are you guys insane? You think to move up from 15 to 10 it would only take a 4th rounder? From 15 to 5 it would only take a future 2nd? Seriously?

Its not to far off. Personally, i hate trade speculation, as its almost never accurate and reminds me of Madden to much.
But, this year's situation is a bit unique. Both the Redskins and Cowboys are looking to trade back to get better value for the players they want, who by all accounts should still be available. Its not going to be just a 4th, but i could see something like our 3rd and 5th rounder. That right there comes close to replacing what Washington gave up for McNabb, saving face and being in better position to grab Locker(or whomever, but Locker fits Shanahan's model for QB). Cowboys seem to want the best offensive lineman available, regardless of specific position.

Last years draft San Diego traded with us to jump up from 28 to 12. Huge leap. Yet when push comes to shove, we only really got a second and Tim Dobbins. We swapped 4th rounders and we had to give up a 6th(which was basically a free pick we got when we traded some backup offensive lineman to KC).
In '09, the Jets traded up from 17 to 5. All they gave up was a second round pick and 3 back up players.

I'm not one for draft day speculation, but put into the above perspective, its certainly not impossible. If we do trade(and god i hope we would have the stones to), we would certainly miss out on DJ Williams or another good player. But if we walk out of this draft with a franchise quarterback(nevermind the best passer in the draft) who are we to complain?

Doctor Phibes
04-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Its not to far off. Personally, i hate trade speculation, as its almost never accurate and reminds me of Madden to much.
But, this year's situation is a bit unique. Both the Redskins and Cowboys are looking to trade back to get better value for the players they want, who by all accounts should still be available. Its not going to be just a 4th, but i could see something like our 3rd and 5th rounder. That right there comes close to replacing what Washington gave up for McNabb, saving face and being in better position to grab Locker(or whomever, but Locker fits Shanahan's model for QB). Cowboys seem to want the best offensive lineman available, regardless of specific position.

Last years draft San Diego traded with us to jump up from 28 to 12. Huge leap. Yet when push comes to shove, we only really got a second and Tim Dobbins. We swapped 4th rounders and we had to give up a 6th(which was basically a free pick we got when we traded some backup offensive lineman to KC).
In '09, the Jets traded up from 17 to 5. All they gave up was a second round pick and 3 back up players.

I'm not one for draft day speculation, but put into the above perspective, its certainly not impossible. If we do trade(and god i hope we would have the stones to), we would certainly miss out on DJ Williams or another good player. But if we walk out of this draft with a franchise quarterback(nevermind the best passer in the draft) who are we to complain?

With the likelihood of a rookie wage cap, previous history of draft day trades and those old draft value charts should be redundant. Trading up is surely going to be much more expensive than before

BlueFin
04-14-2011, 10:12 AM
I see Dallas as our trading partner, and I said yesterday I was worried about Minnesota at 12, Mallett has big time skills and is what we need more than anything.

Going back to 2000 this team should have at some point gotten a conviction on a QB and gone and got him, they failed to do that and have languished in mediocrity and at times as a downright bottomfeeder in this league.

It's time to end it.

Kdawg954
04-14-2011, 10:28 AM
If we trade up, it is going to be with Dallas, and a deal is already worked out.

All these reports about us liking Mallet are interesting though . . . almost "too" out there, ya feel me. I really hope this isn't smoke, because they are really putting expectations out there of a QB, and not taking one is going to piss off alot of people.

With the type of relationship that the Fins/Cowboys have . . . I wonder if they could agree on "limited compensation" for the time being . . . like maybe Dallas trades down for nothing, and later on the Fins send them a player for nothing?

Does anybody know if that could work? It isn't like basketball where the salaries have to match up or anything, are there any rules against something like this?

PhinsTD
04-14-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm Charlie Brown, the Dolphins are Lucy, and Ryan Mallett is the football.

j-off-her-doll
04-14-2011, 10:45 AM
If we trade up, it is going to be with Dallas, and a deal is already worked out.

All these reports about us liking Mallet are interesting though . . . almost "too" out there, ya feel me. I really hope this isn't smoke, because they are really putting expectations out there of a QB, and not taking one is going to piss off alot of people.

With the type of relationship that the Fins/Cowboys have . . . I wonder if they could agree on "limited compensation" for the time being . . . like maybe Dallas trades down for nothing, and later on the Fins send them a player for nothing?

Does anybody know if that could work? It isn't like basketball where the salaries have to match up or anything, are there any rules against something like this?

Our FO has acted with a sort of my-way arrogance throughout their stay, but I think this time around might be a little different. If they do scoff at drafting a 1st RD QB, and they fail, EVERYONE will want their heads - immediately. If they draft a QB in the 1st, and he struggles a bit, people will be inclined towards patience. Ross seems to be very keen on what the fans think/want.

I'd definitely support a trade up to 9 or 10 to secure Mallett.

BlueFin
04-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Our FO has acted with a sort of my-way arrogance throughout their stay, but I think this time around might be a little different. If they do scoff at drafting a 1st RD QB, and they fail, EVERYONE will want their heads - immediately. If they draft a QB in the 1st, and he struggles a bit, people will be inclined towards patience. Ross seems to be very keen on what the fans think/want.

I'd definitely support a trade up to 9 or 10 to secure Mallett.

I think you hit on something most are missing, if they do fail to get a high profile prospect and Henne plays the same, they are one and done. If Mallett comes in and shows promise, they will get extra slack.

I actually think getting Mallett this year, letting him season for a year, using the rest of this draft and next years and free agency on the few holes we have, could have this team ready to roll in 2011.

Spesh
04-14-2011, 11:25 AM
With the likelihood of a rookie wage cap, previous history of draft day trades and those old draft value charts should be redundant. Trading up is surely going to be much more expensive than before

If they include the rookie wage scale for this draft, thats true. Hadn't considered that point. But could still see it. The Redskins do need the draft picks and im sure the Cowboys wouldnt mind a few extra picks.

In the draft rage of 9-15, there is only 1 team each that needs a quarterback and offensive lineman. So both teams would have a very good shot at still landing "their guy".

vaneasy2338
04-14-2011, 11:28 AM
I just don't understand how people are talking about this guy falling to the second round. A lot of people feel in his the best quarterback in the draft. And you know what, I don't think I would disargee. Let's look at the two supposed problems: lead feet in the pocket and the drug usage. Sure, the guy isn't the best athlete but that doesn't mean it can't make people miss in the pocket. Because guys that have done their research(like Ck), have seen that he uses the pocket pretty well. And not only can he make people miss in the pocket, he often does. I remember watching that pressure video Ck put up, and numerous times I saw him use that little sidestep move, and you'd see a DL going flying by him. And than with the drug usage still nothing has been confirmed.

Aqua and Orange
04-14-2011, 12:52 PM
I'm Charlie Brown, the Dolphins are Lucy, and Ryan Mallett is the football.

This cracked me up. Definitely going to be my facebook status after the draft when the Dolphins select Pouncey at 15, Mallett does the Brady Quinn by mouthing the words, "That's surprising. That one is surprising.", and we start to hear about the benefits of the Pouncey family.

72PhinFan
04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Would a trade up to #9 plus Dallas' 2nd round draft pick for #15 this year and next years first be fair with the expectation that next year's pick is #24 or lower? The thinking could be if they aren't 24th or lower next year, they're out of a job anyways.

miamiz19d
04-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Would a trade up to #9 plus Dallas' 2nd round draft pick for #15 this year and next years first be fair with the expectation that next year's pick is #24 or lower? The thinking could be if they aren't 24th or lower next year, they're out of a job anyways.

i like that idea, grab mallet and then get a 2nd this year, forget about luck next year.

SamIam
04-14-2011, 05:29 PM
I read on another forum that the Fins have worked out every QB in this draft except for Jake Locker.... hmmmmmm

X-Pacolypse
04-14-2011, 05:55 PM
I read on another forum that the Fins have worked out every QB in this draft except for Jake Locker.... hmmmmmm

It probably has a lot to do with the fact that Locker sucks. However, after all of these rumors with Mallett going on, the expectations for the Dolphins to take Mallett are skyrocketing. If Miami passes on Mallett and drafts an OLineman or god forbid, Jake Locker. This place is going to be absolutely furious.

NYPhin24
04-14-2011, 08:55 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f3d348/The-curveball-mock-draft?module=HP_headlines

SamIam
04-14-2011, 09:10 PM
I agree X.. but the interest is too abvious to me.. usually it's the other way around with this FO

finfan54
04-15-2011, 06:54 AM
dont trade up for mallett, but take him at 15.

but i can hear it now, we take him at 15. bad move.
if minny takes him, good move, change opinions.