PDA

View Full Version : Brian Billick: Ryan Mallett 'has Ryan Leaf written all over him'

BAMAPHIN 22
04-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Former Ravens Super Bowl-winning coach Brian Billick was on The Joe Rose Show on 560 WQAM on Thursday, and when they got talking about former Arkansas star quarterback Ryan Mallett, who is expected to work out with the Miami Dolphins the next couple of days, he was critical of his maturity:

Would you be shocked if the Dolphins selected Mallett with the 15th pick? "Wow. At 15, yeah. The debate happens all the time. Basically, you either think a guy is a franchise quarterback or he's not. If you're talking about a first-round pick, and if you really believe he's a franchise quarterback--it just goes back to the Cam Newton discussion--I don't care if he's taken at 1, 5, 10 or 15, if you think he's a franchise quarterback, you take him. Doesn't matter where you take him. Now, once you start talking about that next group of guys... Well, if Ryan Mallett, if you're taking him at 15, you're saying he's a franchise quarterback. If you're saying he's a franchise quarterback, you're saying, 'I'd take him at 1, I'd take him at 5, I'd take him at 10.' You don't qualify it by saying, 'Well, I don't think he's that good, but, yeah, I'm comfortable taking him at 15.' It doesn't work like that at the quarterback position, in my opinion. I think him in the second round is a safer pick with that second group of quarterbacks, but for him to be the 15th pick of the draft ... I like what he does physically. There's some things I'm worried about: his maturity--He's got [all-time draft-bust quarterback] Ryan Leaf written all over him. I don't mean to kill the guy that way. ... That would be a concern for me to take him 15th."

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-ryan-mallett-leaf-billick-rose-041411,0,3222661.story?track=rss

Nublar7
04-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Mallett does have talent, but Billick is right, he does have Ryan Leaf written all over him. If the Dolphins do take him, lets hope it is after a trade down in the first round and that he can keep his head on straight.

Tunaphish429
04-14-2011, 11:42 AM
Billick is always looking for ways to remain relevant.

miamiz19d
04-14-2011, 11:48 AM
like he knew qb talent....

dolfaneric12
04-14-2011, 11:48 AM
What's the deal with Mallett? I keep hearing he has an attitude problem and some other negative things but I don't recall him ever getting in trouble at Michigan or Arkansas. Is he a punk or are we just hearing a bunch of dumb rumors?

finsfanjay13
04-14-2011, 11:55 AM
And Billick drafted Kyle Boller.

Vaark
04-14-2011, 12:01 PM
he's no Trent Dilfer

Elliott 1
04-14-2011, 12:02 PM
Here is a clue. Examine Eric Ainge's recent disclosure.

SkapePhin
04-14-2011, 12:06 PM
Ryan Mallet has Vanilla Ice written all over him....

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/iceLFI1104_468x762-1.jpg

A1A... BEACH FRONT AVENUE!

Lord Of Miami
04-14-2011, 12:15 PM
What's the deal with Mallett? I keep hearing he has an attitude problem and some other negative things but I don't recall him ever getting in trouble at Michigan or Arkansas. Is he a punk or are we just hearing a bunch of dumb rumors?

The only thing he really did was get charge with public intoxication.

The rumors are he likes his coke and pot and he's an all around Hood Rat........and even if that's all true that sounds like 1/2 the guys in high school and college.

Most of it has to do with his attitude.

Vaark
04-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Here is a clue. Examine Eric Ainge's recent disclosure.

Guilt by association where there is no association. Very responsible.

That's like me throwing out there: "Nevada's Colin Kaepernick? Hint: google Art Schlichter."

JFoxx
04-14-2011, 12:28 PM
If attitude and rumors were the only things about him that scare off teams, then he'll still go pretty high. What you need is a solid disciplined coaching staff to keep him on the straight and narrow. A group that can have him concentrate on his professional responsibility and not self-centered ideas. For some teams, he'd be just fine. For us right now with our staff . . . . . . . . pass.

Geordie
04-14-2011, 12:29 PM
You've got to think of the source with statements like this, Billick a former BYU guy is by nature conservative and may over analyse unproven character issues here.

Personally I don't see too man similarities with Leaf. Leaf was a lazy guy who had no intention of working towards anything as soon as he signed that big contract. From what I've read about Mallet he couldn't be further removed from that. The guy appears to be extremely driven and there's a hunger there to improve, he has a great work ethic.

My thoughts on Mallet have change somewhat over the last couple of weeks, as I've learned a little more abou the guy. I was high on him but I wanted us to trade down to get him, and happy with Ponder as a back up. I would still be happy with Ponder but now I would have no qualms at all with pulling the trigger at 15. I just hope our FO have the balls to do it.

Every draft pick is a gamble, and who the hell knows perhaps Billick's right, but now really is the time for the Dolphins to roll the dice and take a chance and a guy that really could turn this franchise around.

TedSlimmJr
04-14-2011, 12:32 PM
It's nearly impossible to predict how any of these kids are going to react once they're in the NFL. Once there's no more "handlers" to guide them through the rough waters, tell them what to say, when to say it, how to say it, etc. Any team that takes any of these quarterbacks in the 1st round, is expecting them to be able to deal with all the adversity and criticism that comes with being the face of an NFL franchise... and there's going to be some. Not just for Mallett, or for Cam Newton.. but for ALL of them. They're all going to have to learn how to deal with losing in the NFL, some of them for the first time in their lives. They're going to have to learn how to handle the media, fans, and coaches crawling their *** up one side and down the other when they're out there struggling trying to adjust to the NFL. It's going to happen. They're all going to have bad games, just like every hot shot rookie quarterback that's came before them.

Ben Roethlisberger was looked at as a "high character individual" coming out of the draft. Vince Young was a "natural leader", etc.. earned high marks in the character categories. It's an entirely different experience out there in the world of NFL quarterbacks... where you're now on your own. You're expected to become a MAN, and know right from wrong. There are no more excuses. This is your job. You have nothing to rely on but hard work, dedication, and your WILL to persevere when everyone is now doubting you as a football player for the first time in your LIFE... and you begin to doubt yourself. You don't have that scholarship to fall back on anymore and keep you around. You're either going to succeed or fail, and nobody can do it FOR you like they did in college. Daycare is over...

Ryan Mallett isn't a "safe" pick, he has issues... but you can find a comparision for all these quarterbacks, good and bad. If Mallett has Ryan Leaf written all over him... Cam Newton has Akili Smith written all over him. He has Vince Young written all over him. Blaine Gabbert has Kyle Boller written all over him. (you're familiar with that Brian?). He has Heath Shuler written all over him.

Fact is, most of the character assassination surrounding Ryan Mallett is based on nothing but unsubstantiated rumors and innuendo. You'd have to xerox Ryan Mallett's "rumor" list of character issues 10 times to get the laundry list of DOCUMENTED character concerns of Cam Newton. That's a fact.

If you're going to draft a quarterback in the top 10 with only 1 year of starting experience at the D-1 level, and gained that 1 year of experience playing in an offense that doesn't translate to the NFL, who also brandishes more red flags than Tiananmen Square in his background... and feel comfortable that this guy is a "franchise" quarterback...

...you literally have no leg to stand on when it comes to drafting hands down the best pure passing prospect to come out of college in YEARS with the 15th pick in the draft, and question whether or not the guy is a franchise quarterback.

Ryan Mallett comes from a stable background, with good parents, and has a foundation in his life that's going to serve him well through the difficulties that most certainly lie ahead, when it's his time to have to be a MAN. I'm not sure you can say that about all of them..

All of these quarterbacks are in the same boat... the one's that put in the work and are the most dedicated to their craft have a chance to succeed. The one's that aren't... won't.

But they're not all in the same boat when it comes to throwing that football... one guy owns his yacht when it comes to that... and it's the kid from Arkansas.

LouPhinFan
04-14-2011, 12:54 PM
It's nearly impossible to predict how any of these kids are going to react once they're in the NFL. Once there's no more "handlers" to guide them through the rough waters, tell them what to say, when to say it, how to say it, etc. Any team that takes any of these quarterbacks in the 1st round, is expecting them to be able to deal with all the adversity and criticism that comes with being the face of an NFL franchise... and there's going to be some. Not just for Mallett, or for Cam Newton.. but for ALL of them. They're all going to have to learn how to deal with losing in the NFL, some of them for the first time in their lives. They're going to have to learn how to handle the media, fans, and coaches crawling their *** up one side and down the other when they're out there struggling trying to adjust to the NFL. It's going to happen. They're all going to have bad games, just like every hot shot rookie quarterback that's came before them.

Ben Roethlisberger was looked at as a "high character individual" coming out of the draft. Vince Young was a "natural leader", etc.. earned high marks in the character categories. It's an entirely different experience out there in the world of NFL quarterbacks... where you're now on your own. You're expected to become a MAN, and know right from wrong. There are no more excuses. This is your job. You have nothing to rely on but hard work, dedication, and your WILL to persevere when everyone is now doubting you as a football player for the first time in your LIFE... and you begin to doubt yourself. You don't have that scholarship to fall back on anymore and keep you around. You're either going to succeed or fail, and nobody can do it FOR you like they did in college. Daycare is over...

Ryan Mallett isn't a "safe" pick, he has issues... but you can find a comparision for all these quarterbacks, good and bad. If Mallett has Ryan Leaf written all over him... Cam Newton has Akili Smith written all over him. He has Vince Young written all over him. Blaine Gabbert has Kyle Boller written all over him. (you're familiar with that Brian?). He has Heath Shuler written all over him.

Fact is, most of the character assassination surrounding Ryan Mallett is based on nothing but unsubstantiated rumors and innuendo. You'd have to xerox Ryan Mallett's "rumor" list of character issues 10 times to get the laundry list of DOCUMENTED character concerns of Cam Newton. That's a fact.

If you're going to draft a quarterback in the top 10 with only 1 year of starting experience at the D-1 level, and gained that 1 year of experience playing in an offense that doesn't translate to the NFL, who also brandishes more red flags than Tiananmen Square in his background... and feel comfortable that this guy is a "franchise" quarterback...

...you literally have no leg to stand on when it comes to drafting hands down the best pure passing prospect to come out of college in YEARS with the 15th pick in the draft, and question whether or not the guy is a franchise quarterback.

Ryan Mallett comes from a stable background, with good parents, and has a foundation in his life that's going to serve him well through the difficulties that most certainly lie ahead, when it's his time to have to be a MAN. I'm not sure you can say that about all of them..

All of these quarterbacks are in the same boat... the one's that put in the work and are the most dedicated to their craft have a chance to succeed. The one's that aren't... won't.

But they're not all in the same boat when it comes to throwing that football... one guy owns his yacht when it comes to that... and it's the kid from Arkansas.

Excellent post. With ALL NFL prospects, you just don't know for certain. All of them are a crapshoot in one way or another. Sure Mallett talks a little funny, but damn can he wing the football. He moves well enough while in the pocket to avoid a rush, he's a teamleader (he was voted a team captain this past season at Arkansas) and he lives in the film room. I would have zero problem with the Fins drafting him at #15. In case you haven't read it, I would suggest reading the Ryan Mallett "Draft Winds" piece on Sun Sentinel's website.

Billick drafted Kyle Boller, that's all you need to know. He wouldn't know quality NFL QB talent if it came up and punched him in the throat. "Ryan Leaf"...please.:rolleyes2:

Fintastic2124
04-14-2011, 12:59 PM
If any of these "experts" don't know how to evaluate QB's....it's Brain Billick.

Aqua and Orange
04-14-2011, 01:02 PM
The amount of respect the NFL has for Brian Billick's opinions showed when he was looking for a head coaching job this last offseason.

Back to the booth with you, Brian. Have fun chatting about "what ifs" with Matt Millen.

Vaark
04-14-2011, 01:09 PM

QFT Junior

Hayden Fox
04-14-2011, 01:13 PM
He cannot be Ryan Leaf if he goes later than 2 overall.

Spesh
04-14-2011, 01:16 PM

The entire post was well said, but wanted to point this out. Ignoring the absurdity of the lynching Mallet has gone through because of a single public intoxication (he wasn't causing trouble, just had a few drinks late one night) yet its totally acceptable when Newton commits theft, how can anyone even compare Mallet's family background to the Cecil Newton "i need money" foundation that has been going on the last few months/years?

The Newton bunch has been caught multiple times for breaking the rules/law, yet Mallet is the one who will have problems adjusting to the NFL. One journalist/"draft expert" wrote a very unflattering(and perhaps unfair) report about Newton and the screaming and crying commenced. Mallet has literally been dogged without end during any and all interviews and he is the one who is handling it badly?

As ive been having trouble with my cable i was unable to watch Mallet's Gruden sitdown. I did watch the preview in the draft forum, and he was respectful the entire time. "Yes sir", "No sir", polite laughter, etc. When he did let his guard down and visibly relaxed during the whiteboard session, he was still in control and professional. Even Gruden admitted he thought he was a good kid and impressed with the way he's handled the media. Now, that was just the preview, perhaps later he slapped Gruden in the face and screamed "PAY ME". But i have yet to hear anything bad concerning it, and not once did Mallet admit he "wanted to be an icon and entertainer". Whoops, cant say that, team Newton might start screaming again.
So yeah, sure Billick, Mallet is the bad kid in all this...

TedSlimmJr
04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Excellent post. With ALL NFL prospects, you just don't know for certain. All of them are a crapshoot in one way or another. Sure Mallett talks a little funny, but damn can he wing the football. He moves well enough while in the pocket to avoid a rush, he's a teamleader (he was voted a team captain this past season at Arkansas) and he lives in the film room. I would have zero problem with the Fins drafting him at #15. In case you haven't read it, I would suggest reading the Ryan Mallett "Draft Winds" piece on Sun Sentinel's website.

Billick drafted Kyle Boller, that's all you need to know. He wouldn't know quality NFL QB talent if it came up and punched him in the throat. "Ryan Leaf"...please.:rolleyes2:

I didn't need to read it, Lou.. I've evaluated these quarterbacks every step of the way and done my own work like I've always done.

I made a little quarterback thread several months ago in the draft forum titled "Slimm's 2011 Quarterback Thread"... Mallett was always my #2 quarterback behind Andrew Luck... I've never moved off my opinion that Mallett is the only one of these quarterbacks I'd draft with the 15th pick in the draft..

I don't care how many people tout Blaine Gabbert (that haven't seen him play)... or foam at the mouth over Cam Newton...

I'll take my chances with Ryan Mallett over any of them.

walt
04-14-2011, 01:28 PM
I remember a guy who fell based on character concerns....named Marino.

FinAtic8480
04-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Let's listen and pay attention to Brian Billick who could not draft a QB if his life depended on it in Baltimore.

LouPhinFan
04-14-2011, 01:37 PM
I didn't need to read it, Lou.. I've evaluated these quarterbacks every step of the way and done my own work like I've always done.

I made a little quarterback thread several months ago in the draft forum titled "Slimm's 2011 Quarterback Thread"... Mallett was always my #2 quarterback behind Andrew Luck... I've never moved off my opinion that Mallett is the only one of these quarterbacks I'd draft with the 15th pick in the draft..

I don't care how many people tout Blaine Gabbert (that haven't seen him play)... or foam at the mouth over Cam Newton...

I'll take my chances with Ryan Mallett over any of them.

Sorry, I didn't mean you specifically to read it. I meant anyone reading this thread that hasn't seen it yet. I already know you that you know what you're talking about.:up:

Vaark
04-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Re Teddy's Cam Newton comments - already there's been accusations by Warren Moon of racism when someone tried to tell it like it is. However, a guy south of wheat bread invites an open season of character attacks with no repurcussions or accountabilities. If a big mouth like Jason Whitlock, say, reported these kinds of RM innuendos and aspersions, no one would take issue - ain't nobody holding any hack's feet to the fire when it comes to attacking him.

/off soapbox (for now)

Ed Norton
04-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Of course there is a chance he will be a bust but from what I've seen I think Mallet is the best QB in the draft and I would take him with the 1st or 15th pick.

GothicPhin
04-14-2011, 02:04 PM
So we are to take the word from the guy who drafted Chris Redman instead of Tom Brady? Ok.

TedSlimmJr
04-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Re Teddy's Cam Newton comments - already there's been accusations by Warren Moon of racism when someone tried to tell it like it is. However, a guy south of wheat bread invites an open season of character attacks with no repurcussions or accountabilities. If a big mouth like Jason Whitlock, say, reported these kinds of RM innuendos and aspersions, no one would take issue - ain't nobody holding any hack's feet to the fire when it comes to attacking him.

/off soapbox (for now)

I understand Warren Moon's bitterness, that he no doubt still harbors to this day... I think it was misplaced in regards to Cam Newton.

Warren Moon is one of the 3 best pure passers of the football I've ever seen.. right there with Dan Fouts and Dan Marino. Warren Moon was done wrong, he wasn't allowed to play quarterback in the NFL following the conclusion of his Husky career because of his race. He had to prove himself in other leagues before they would give him a chance.

Moon has a right to feel what he feels, whatever it is... he has a right. But Cam Newton isn't getting the short end of the stick here, believe me. He's going to get an opportunity Warren didn't have.

ckparrothead
04-14-2011, 02:56 PM

If you dig deep enough into Ryan's history you'll find some warts, things not to like.

But you could say that about most football players.

Ryan was a big fish in a small pond at Texarkana, the toast of the town and he loved it. He was affable, press that dealt with him were amazed at how polished and self-effacing he was, a genuine good kid, raised by two good parents, one a very good football coach...and he NEVER got into trouble. We've heard from someone that worked in the legal system in Texarkana and he's heard all kinds of dirt about all kinds of football players they've had there, stuff that never found its way into the public sphere, and he said Ryan Mallett was the biggest star they've ever had and yet never a single peep about trouble with the law, or anything.

He graduated high school a semester early, and went to Michigan to get a jump on football. But he wasn't a big fish in a small pond anymore. He was far from home, in cold Michigan, VERY homesick that first semester, kind of a loner, drank at bars...and just generally had a tough time transitioning to college. Tell me if you've heard that one before. It happens everywhere to millions of kids. He kind of got over things after a little while, but then he struggled a little bit finding his place as a leader on a team full of leaders including the guy that's been a four year starter and legend at QB, speaking about Chad Henne. He took over for Henne a few games and did OK. But he had an atrocious performance and basically he melted down, ended up in a shouting match with Mario Manningham because Ryan "got brave" with him, ended up sitting alone on the bench at one point. This is a true freshman forced into action by injury at a major university in front of like 80,000 people and in one of the games he got a dose of just how big a stage he'd made it to.

When Rich Rodriguez joined the staff, Ryan was ready to go. He already missed home, he grew up an Arkansas fan, and as soon as Bobby Petrino came to the school he grew up in love with and brough that pro style offense, he pulled the trigger and transferred. Why would you try and compete for the right to run the Speed Option at Michigan when you've been a pocket passer your whole life and Bobby Petrino just joined on at your favorite school ever, and wants YOU to be his guy?

So he got to Arkansas and the NCAA mandates he take a year off from football. He did. I think he gained some weight during this time, because I'm pretty sure I saw a report saying he had to lose 35 lbs before taking over the offense in 2009. Probably partied pretty hard that year off. There MAY be drugs involved during this period, we don't know...there's no confirmation of anything. No failed drug tests. What did happen though is as soon as he got there, he got caught walking around drunk and was picked up for public drunkenness.

He was voted a team captain in 2009, his first year back after the year off, before Bobby Petrino had even settled on a starter between Mallett and Tyler Wilson. Tyler Wilson by the way is the guy that lit it up this year against Auburn when Mallett got hurt. He'll be the starter next year. He had actually played a little for Arkansas in 2008, so he was no patsy as far as competing for the starting job. Anyway Petrino was still splitting 1st string snaps between Mallett and Wilson, when the team was asked to vote on their captains. They voted Mallett in as a captain. Guess they knew who they considered their leader, eh?

In 2009, Mallett showed maturity issues on the field. Way too emotional, way too up and down. He needed to get that under control. He and Cam Newton have always been a bit too kiddish at times. In the off season his offensive coordinator Garrick McGee wanted him to work on this. Mallett took a look at himself on game tapes from 2009, and used words like "embarrassed" to describe his reaction to how he acted on the field. McGee gave him some self-help type books, books on spirituality, etc. Mallett read them and attempted to apply them to his game. Also, he realized in 2009 that he was gunning the ball way too hard on short passes. Teammates said that when he injured his foot, it was like a blessing. He couldn't put as much juice on those short passes anymore. He learned from that, he's very self-critical about things like that, and even though the foot healed in 2010, receivers say it's like night and day the difference in his touch.

At every level he's been, be it Texarkana, Michigan, Arkansas or beyond, people have flocked to his defense. There have been people circling the wagons for him and going hard to bat for him everywhere. Current and former teammates, coaches, media, fans, etc. He was well liked in Texarkana, he was VERY well liked in Arkansas. The only place he was not well liked was Michigan but he didn't stay long enough to give them a chance to like him, after that first year where he woke up and realized he's not in Texarkana anymore. Blaine Gabbert, believe it or not, was the SAME WAY at Missouri. I've heard from people around that program that say that at first he was a huge d-bag...and he did indeed get involved in a brawl at a pizza parlor there, but never got arrested because evidently the Missouri cops are a little more lenient than Fayetteville cops.

Some people will claim the guy is lazy. I've heard strenuous dismissal of that claim from multiple people close to the program.

Some people claim he doesn't lead anyone. Not sure how they won 10 games and had one of the most prolific pass offenses in the history of the SEC if he didn't lead anyone, but either way I think D.J. Williams and Ray Dominguez would laugh at the claim as they've publicly and privately gone to bat for him.

The wildcard is, there is SOMETHING, some incident or some THING, that the NFL teams know about, that they're not revealing. Whatever that something is, it's got SOME teams spooked, and other teams unworried.

It all has to be viewed within a context though. This is a bright guy that has been honest about his own weaknesses and willing to address them, going all the way back to high school. He was raised by two strong parents. He was practically bottle-fed a pro style offense from the crib, as his dad is a good coach. Wherever he goes, he seems to be well liked by media, fans, and teammates who are willing to go to bat for him.

Just think of exactly how bad you have to be from a character perspective...if you have talent, and you work at your craft...to end up NOT succeeding. You have to be damn near psychotic, otherwise the NFL will support you and make sure you can show that talent on Sunday. Everyone talks about Ryan Leaf. You know what Ryan Leaf did aside from be bad with the press and generally be immature? HE SUCKED AT FOOTBALL. How would Ryan Leaf's career have gone if he'd shown talent on Sundays? Perhaps a bit more like Ben Roethlisberger's? Or Michael Vick's?

In an NFL where Michael Vick can be a convicted felon, lead his team to the playoffs and get congratulatory phone calls from President Obama, in an NFL where Ben Roethlisberger can get suspended by the NFL for his contribution to circumstances which led to his being accused of rape and then in the same season win the AFC Championship, in an NFL where Brett Favre can spend 6 weeks in rehab getting over drug addiction and never miss a beat in his Hall of Fame career...if you are GOOD...then you have to be damn near psychotic to bust yourself out of this league. I know TedSlimmJr may disagree with that, but I stand by it.

ckparrothead
04-14-2011, 03:04 PM
I just want to point out again...

There is SOMETHING....SOME...THING...that the NFL specifically has on Ryan Mallett. I can't tell you what that some thing is. But I can say it turns some teams completely off him. And also, some teams don't particularly care because he's been honest about it.

The difference between Ryan Mallett and Cam Newton is that Newton's problems are out there for everyone to see. If anyone wants to know why a team isn't particularly comfortable with Cam Newton...I'll give ya three guesses. Seriously, the stolen laptop thing, the academic cheating thing, the pay for play stuff...it's out there, it's known.

But the public does not know why some NFL teams are uncomfortable with Ryan Mallett, and they can't stand it. The Draft people that do know, won't discuss it. And I think that's what leads to all this rampant speculation and frenzy, making mountains out of molehills and/or fabricating reasons to hate the guy.

LouPhinFan
04-14-2011, 03:13 PM
So we are to take the word from the guy who drafted Chris Redman instead of Tom Brady? Ok.

I don't think that one is fair. Redman was a good college QB with plenty of work to judge him from. Brady, not so much. Plenty of personel guys passed on Brady.

NY8123
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
If you dig deep enough into Ryan's history you'll find some warts, things not to like.

But you could say that about most football players.

If you dig into anyones history someone will find something not to like about anybody.

I tend to look at things the other way and it is the same lesson I teach my son, why not dig into someone far enough to find common interests and ground to stand on.

I wouldn't be who I am today if I didn't make A LOT of mistakes but I learned from them. That is the key to a young person, did they learn from their mistakes or are they still immature and naive?

Geforce
04-14-2011, 03:20 PM
So he got to Arkansas and the NCAA mandates he take a year off from football. He did. I think he gained some weight during this time, because I'm pretty sure I saw a report saying he had to lose 35 lbs before taking over the offense in 2009. Probably partied pretty hard that year off. There MAY be drugs involved during this period, we don't know...there's no confirmation of anything. No failed drug tests. What did happen though is as soon as he got there, he got caught walking around drunk and was picked up for public drunkenness.

Myth busting on Arkansas Razorback QB Ryan Mallett
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview09/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=4417463

Myth: Petrino thought the Wolverines had mistakenly sent him former Michigan offensive lineman Justin Boren when Mallett first arrived in Fayetteville, Ark.

Fact: Petrino knew it wasn't Boren, who transferred to Ohio State, but he wasn't sure if Mallett was going to play quarterback or left tackle. Mallett, who is 6-foot-7, weighed a whopping 265 pounds in January 2008. He has lost more than 25 pounds in the past 18 months, dropping his weight below 240.

"The first thing we did with him was try to get him to lose as much weight as he could so he can move around and do more things," Petrino said. "He did a nice job of that. With him losing the weight and being more mobile, we're not gonna lose our movement game, our ability to run sprint-outs, run the bootlegs and be able to move the pocket. In this league, with the defensive ends we face, it's important that you change the launch point and set your quarterback up at different spots."

Mallett said he lost the weight by avoiding fast food and working with the team's strength and conditioning staff. Mallett said he knew he'd have to be more mobile to play against SEC defenses.

"It was a long process," Mallett said. "It's going to be a big help to me, as far as my mobility in and out of the pocket. Everybody says the SEC is faster, and I have no doubt it's true."

ghost_fish
04-14-2011, 03:38 PM
But...but... Ryan Mallet is tall and has the biggest arm in the draft and we know our staff likes measurables.

TedSlimmJr
04-14-2011, 03:38 PM
Jeremy Masoli will vouch for how much faster and how much more difficult SEC defenses are too..

PhinzN703
04-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Billick sure does know how to take 100 years just to give you an answer that required a sentence or two

dolfaneric12
04-14-2011, 04:00 PM
I just want to point out again...

There is SOMETHING....SOME...THING...that the NFL specifically has on Ryan Mallett. I can't tell you what that some thing is. But I can say it turns some teams completely off him. And also, some teams don't particularly care because he's been honest about it.

The difference between Ryan Mallett and Cam Newton is that Newton's problems are out there for everyone to see. If anyone wants to know why a team isn't particularly comfortable with Cam Newton...I'll give ya three guesses. Seriously, the stolen laptop thing, the academic cheating thing, the pay for play stuff...it's out there, it's known.

But the public does not know why some NFL teams are uncomfortable with Ryan Mallett, and they can't stand it. The Draft people that do know, won't discuss it. And I think that's what leads to all this rampant speculation and frenzy, making mountains out of molehills and/or fabricating reasons to hate the guy.

Appreciate all the info! In my opinion, it seems like his immaturity at Michigan is the only problem with him and people are secretly saying that's his problem. If it was something serious like with the allegations against Cam Newton, everyone would know about it by now.

Calgaryfin
04-14-2011, 05:18 PM

I remember another strong armed QB who couldn't run and who slid in the draft because of rumors. Shula took him..... Dan Marino!

X-Pacolypse
04-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Last time I checked Billick's QB evaluations were pretty damn bad.

DKphin
04-14-2011, 05:30 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/videobeta/?watchId=023c6e31-1f66-42fb-80eb-8551046f8302

DKphin
04-14-2011, 05:37 PM
When Billick mentions Leaf, you can here the pain as host takes a shot to the gut.:D

uga3406
04-14-2011, 05:51 PM
what the hell would billick know about a good qb? he coached dilfer, banks, mcnair and grbac when he was in baltimore, he should mind his own business--some 1 should him ask why such a coach with a super bowl title on his resume, why he is still un-employed...