PDA

View Full Version : Curveball-mock draft nfl/network.

ROADRUNNER
04-14-2011, 12:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d81f3d348/The-curveball-mock-draft

..............:D

Geforce
04-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Curveball is an understatement. When I first saw it I thought goof-ball mock with Miami at #10. I wonder how much we had to give up to move into the Top 10 to draft Mallett.?

j-off-her-doll
04-14-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd walk around punching walls - out of sheer excitement - for weeks. Give me a motherf-cking QB, you *******.

datruth55
04-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Curveball is an understatement. When I first saw it I thought goof-ball mock with Miami at #10. I wonder how much we had to give up to move into the Top 10 to draft Mallett.?

That would cost us our 3rd and probably our 5th as well. That would leave us with 6 picks total (1st, 4th, 6th and three 7th round picks). If we didn't have as many holes to fill maybe...but I don't think it makes sense. Not with a crappy interior line, no running backs, no speed at WR to stretch the field, no TE to stretch the field and a need to upgrade the slot CB position. Even then you're banking on a lot of rookies taking the next step in year 2....without mini camps and possibly training camp, no off-season workout program or anything.

TheBow305
04-14-2011, 02:21 PM
I'd have no problem drafting Mallett at 15, but I don't really want us trading UP for him. I'm kinda hoping we can trade down and still get him or Locker.

j-off-her-doll
04-14-2011, 02:24 PM
If our FO decided Mallett is the next BIG thing - like a QB you can't miss - I'd support them trading the entire draft to get him.

ticophin
04-14-2011, 02:29 PM
Iīm not gonna mention DMarino, but letīs say Mallet turns out to be a Phillip Riversr kind of slinger...who makes an average crop of WRs look like future HOFs...Iīd say thatīs gotta be worth trading up for and loosing a couple....

SamIam
04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
I am worried about Rick Spielman stick it to us and drafet Mallett... just to give us all the finger

BlueFin
04-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I believe Mallett is on the rise and will not get past Minnesota, therefore a tradeup to 10 or 9 will be neccesary.

I am all for it when its a quarterback we are after. I think this kid has the goods and can play right away, by 2011 after two drafts and two free agent periods, this team will ready to contend in 2012.

miamiz19d
04-14-2011, 03:01 PM
all for it. im tired of the jay feilders, feeleys, penne type arms. I want a gun slinger who aint afaird to go deep.
he is 6'7 and a rocket arm, there is no way his passes should ever get knocked down.

SCOTTY
04-14-2011, 03:54 PM
Trading away most of your draft to move up for Luck = Intelligent
Trading away most of your draft to move up for Mallett = Retarded

datruth55
04-14-2011, 04:17 PM
I am worried about Rick Spielman stick it to us and drafet Mallett... just to give us all the finger

Didn't Spielman draft Tavaris Jackson? I know he drafted Joe Webb last year to play QB (when everyone figured he'd move to WR). I don't think you have to worry about Spielman, he places more value on athletic ability than he does on QBs who can actually play the position. I'd be shocked if he took Mallet really. He would be more inline with taking a Jake Locker or Colin Kaepernick.

datruth55
04-14-2011, 04:21 PM
Iīm not gonna mention DMarino, but letīs say Mallet turns out to be a Phillip Riversr kind of slinger...who makes an average crop of WRs look like future HOFs...Iīd say thatīs gotta be worth trading up for and loosing a couple....

As immoble as he is, he would be a sitting duck behind our O-line. Watching him move is painful. He brings a whole new meaning to immobile QB. Marino had quick feet and could side step a rush without taking his eyes off of the downfield receivers. I haven't seen that from Mallet...dude takes a lot of hits...but he's big at least. He'd need a better line than what we have to be effective. Doesn't have to be great but better...Henne struggled in games where the line couldn't block for him and Mallet is less mobile than Henne.

Show Me Your TDs
04-14-2011, 04:35 PM
As immoble as he is, he would be a sitting duck behind our O-line. Watching him move is painful. He brings a whole new meaning to immobile QB. Marino had quick feet and could side step a rush without taking his eyes off of the downfield receivers. I haven't seen that from Mallet...dude takes a lot of hits...but he's big at least. He'd need a better line than what we have to be effective. Doesn't have to be great but better...Henne struggled in games where the line couldn't block for him and Mallet is less mobile than Henne.

There is a huge difference between immobility and no pocket presence. While Mallett doesn't have the fleetest of feet he does make up for that with an uncanny sense of pocket awareness.

emeraldfin
04-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I'd actually have no problem with that!

SamIam
04-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Look.. Mallett could very well bust.... but he also has the ability to a Franchise QB .. and with that we should take that risk..

Henne is not the answer people

dr.jake
04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
we got no 2nd (cuz we overpayed for marshall).no way do you take a risk with the first.mallet won't start next year for anybody.

sinPHIN
04-14-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd walk around punching walls - out of sheer excitement - for weeks. Give me a motherf-cking QB, you *******. i would be punching children out of joy. its alot more fun than walls. you should try it.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 12:48 AM
It all depends on the confidence we have in Mallet . . . if he truly is OUR guy, then a trade up with the 3rd and 5th round picks involved isn't the worse thing.

Our line healthy is probably:

Long/Garner/Incognito/Jerry/Carey

Focus on getting a real good FA Guard to compete with Garner and Jerry.

We can sign Deangelo Williams in Free Agency, and get a compliment back in the draft along with Lex Hilliard and potentially a healthy Kory Sheets to round out the rotation

We can grab a speedy deep threat later in the draft to compliment Marshall/Bess/Hartline/Wallace

The other big focus in the draft would be a game breaking TE . . . or a familiar one.

1. Ryan Mallet - QB
4. DJ Williams - TE
6. JacQuizz Rodgers - RB
7. Ryan Bartholmew - OC
7. Aldrick Robinson - WR
7. Cheta Ozougwu - OLB

This isn't a bad draft for the Dolphins. They team up college teammates in Mallet and Williams and fill 2 needs. They get a steal in Rodgers to compliment the newly acquired Deangelo Williams. They add a speedster in Robinson to round out the WR's and a pass rusher in Ozougwu who will compete for a roster spot and hopefully bring something on 3rd downs. Bartholomew is just a future pick who may suprise early.

With that kind of draft . . . they need to get one big name free agent OLineman and they will be fine. I'd do it if I had to.

MP-Omnis
04-15-2011, 12:50 AM
Bills secondary is going to be beastly after that draft. We need to get picks for next year though. Next year is when you trade up for a certain someone. The only way they should trade up is if they can get that number 10 and then sell it to the Vikings for their 12 plus picks next year, etc.

SCOTTY
04-15-2011, 12:57 AM
It all depends on the confidence we have in Mallet . . . if he truly is OUR guy, then a trade up with the 3rd and 5th round picks involved isn't the worse thing.

Our line healthy is probably:

Long/Garner/Incognito/Jerry/Carey

Focus on getting a real good FA Guard to compete with Garner and Jerry.

We can sign Deangelo Williams in Free Agency, and get a compliment back in the draft along with Lex Hilliard and potentially a healthy Kory Sheets to round out the rotation

We can grab a speedy deep threat later in the draft to compliment Marshall/Bess/Hartline/Wallace

The other big focus in the draft would be a game breaking TE . . . or a familiar one.

1. Ryan Mallet - QB
4. DJ Williams - TE
6. JacQuizz Rodgers - RB
7. Ryan Bartholmew - OC
7. Aldrick Robinson - WR
7. Cheta Ozougwu - OLB

This isn't a bad draft for the Dolphins. They team up college teammates in Mallet and Williams and fill 2 needs. They get a steal in Rodgers to compliment the newly acquired Deangelo Williams. They add a speedster in Robinson to round out the WR's and a pass rusher in Ozougwu who will compete for a roster spot and hopefully bring something on 3rd downs. Bartholomew is just a future pick who may suprise early.

With that kind of draft . . . they need to get one big name free agent OLineman and they will be fine. I'd do it if I had to.

Sorry but I feel this would be the worst possible draft outcome!! Giving up ou 3rd and 5th to move up. You completely under estimate how much this team actually needs. I won't even go into Garner-Incrapito-Jerry as our interior line. Makes me absolutely cringe. But then you have us picking up the scraps at the TE, RB and WR positions in the draft and trying to polish it as solid?? On top of that you don't really address OG only hoping we can sign someone in FA and you completely ignore the Defense all together. This would be a set back draft.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 01:08 AM
Sorry but I feel this would be the worst possible draft outcome!! Giving up ou 3rd and 5th to move up. You completely under estimate how much this team actually needs. I won't even go into Garner-Incrapito-Jerry as our interior line. Makes me absolutely cringe. But then you have us picking up the scraps at the TE, RB and WR positions in the draft and trying to polish it as solid?? On top of that you don't really address OG only hoping we can sign someone in FA and you completely ignore the Defense all together. This would be a set back draft.

DJ Williams is hardly a scrap at TE . . . we already have a #1 in Fasano . . . DJ Williams is a more than capable #2 guy and has familiarity with Mallet.

We already have a solid core of WR's, we have our #1, we have our slot guy, we have a versatile guy in Hartline and a young talent in Wallace . . . we just need a burner, Robinson is a burner.

Deangelo Williams and Jacquizz Rodgers aren't "scraps" at RB. Hilliard is familiar and brings the power and Sheets, if healthy, brings us the speed. It is a nice mix of guys.

What do we really need on defense? Who are we going to take that is gonna take a job from - Langford/Soliai/Starks/Wake/Misi/Crowder/Dansby/Davis/Smith/Bell/Clemmons ??? We need a third down pass rusher . . . competition for Quentin Moses . . . a guy who can generate more pressure on obvious passing downs. Other than that this defense is fine and young. Depth you say? Merling/Odrick/Edds/Carroll/Jones/Amaya/Ness/C. Baker/R. Baker/Francis . . . yea ILB needs tweaking, but the draft is so deep next year at ILB we can get our guy then. We can get away with our group this year.

Yea the OLine is where I would do the FA digging. We haven't had success in the draft in the OLine outside of the #1 overall pick. We have had more success in FA. The current group of guys on our line aren't half bad when they are healthy and playing in proper positions.

Miami needs 2 big FA signings . . . . Deangelo Williams and the best OG they can find. Combined with that draft, I would give them an A+ for the effort and for getting us a first round QB with the talent of a Ryan Mallet.

Thumper1016
04-15-2011, 01:15 AM
Trading away most of your draft to move up for Luck = Intelligent
Trading away most of your draft to move up for Mallett = Retarded

Unless we end up with the number 1 pick next year you can forget Luck. No one would trade away that pick IMO.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 01:19 AM
Unless we end up with the number 1 pick next year you can forget Luck. No one would trade away that pick IMO.

The only teams that would trade that pick are teams that found a way to bamboozle a team for a 2012 first round pick and they have that pick but are secure at QB.

Like if Green Bay got the Bengals first round pick and the Bengals stunk it up and finished with the worst record. They would trade down and boy that would be expensive as hell.

Tureo
04-15-2011, 01:25 AM
Deangelo Williams and/or Rodgers would be hurt mid season. I would be eh with Rodgers but pissed if we spend big on Williams. Trading up to get Mallet gets everyone fired next year. We would still have to start Henne behind the same line that didn't work last year. If we trade up to get him we basically bow out of the draft. I would be ok with trading down and taking Mallet and even then I'm not sold at all but I could deal with that.

Fin_Frenzy_84
04-15-2011, 01:43 AM
Honestly I do not believe that we need to trade up... I do believe we could trade back and still get him and I would be happy to do that. At least pick up a extra 3rd

Fintastic2124
04-15-2011, 03:18 AM
If you're a coach and see a guy that you could see as your franchise qb, you either trade up for him, or stay
put. Why run the risk of Seattle jumping us if we trade down?

BigNastyDB13
04-15-2011, 03:35 AM
I'm all for taking Mallett at 15 but I dont see how they expect us to move to 10. First, they say he's "a late 1st, early 2nd rounder because of all the questions" then they have us trading UP FROM 15 TO 10??? WTF? Show some consistency guys.

j-off-her-doll
04-15-2011, 08:04 AM

It'd only be a bad draft if Mallett doesn't turn out to be a franchise QB. Unless you have a franchise QB, it doesn't really matter what you do. We could draft P. Peterson, V. Miller, A. Green, M. Ingram, and M. Pouncey . . . but if Henne is our QB, it won't matter.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 10:24 AM
It'd only be a bad draft if Mallett doesn't turn out to be a franchise QB. Unless you have a franchise QB, it doesn't really matter what you do. We could draft P. Peterson, V. Miller, A. Green, M. Ingram, and M. Pouncey . . . but if Henne is our QB, it won't matter.

That is a bit extreme lol . . . I would add all those pieces and roll with Henne and Daboll before not adding them and taking Mallet. Mallet it still a big question mark in a sense. I get what you are saying though . . . we need a franchise QB!!

datruth55
04-15-2011, 10:36 AM
There is a huge difference between immobility and no pocket presence. While Mallett doesn't have the fleetest of feet he does make up for that with an uncanny sense of pocket awareness.

When did I say he didn't have pocket awareness? Even with his pocket awareness (which is better than Henne's) he's going to have trouble moving out of the way from pass rushers with his lack of mobility. He took a lot of hits in college and in the NFL guys will be coming much faster. Teams got to Marino by coming up the middle...the middle of our line sucks. If you draft Mallet you better make darn sure the middle of our O-line gets fixed. As the middle of that line is now he would be a sitting duck.

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 11:16 AM
When did I say he didn't have pocket awareness? Even with his pocket awareness (which is better than Henne's) he's going to have trouble moving out of the way from pass rushers with his lack of mobility. He took a lot of hits in college and in the NFL guys will be coming much faster. Teams got to Marino by coming up the middle...the middle of our line sucks. If you draft Mallet you better make darn sure the middle of our O-line gets fixed. As the middle of that line is now he would be a sitting duck.

and flagged much easier. there might even be a rule change that makes a QB during the act of throwing the football a defenseless player.

true, Mallett isn't a great athlete, but he has some mobility in the pocket. he knows how to move and slide to avoid pressure, unlike Henne.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Henne can move in the pocket, the Oline was so bad last year that he never adjusted to the speed defenses were hitting him with this season. Yea, he needs to do better but give him a break a bit, if you think you are just going to go out and automatically find a better QB than Henne there are going to be alot of disappointed people. I dunno, Henne really gets a "bad beat" on this site and other sites as well, I completely agree with doing EVERYTHING in our power to find our own "franchise" QB, but to automatically dismiss Henne from that equation is real premature.

Chad Henne was crippled by our own FO last season. From the lack of speed to the tinkering/health of the OLine to the conservative philosophy/playcalling. Sure maybe an elite QB works around that stuff, I have my doubts . . . but Henne is only in year 3 starting and with his work ethic and "want" to improve, I wouldn't discount him at all from the equation. Yea he made some DUMB mistakes, young QB's make DUMB mistakes . . . move forward and compete and improve.

I'm all for drafting Ryan Mallet, even trading up for him . . . but Chad Henne isn't a pushover and just the idea that "team speed" and a "new philosophy" is in play, Henne could have a breakout year.

The biggest problem on that theory is "banking" on that . . . draft your QB, hell we need QB's on the roster, and let them go to battle . . . it may bring the best out of Mallet . . . or Henne. And that is a good thing . . . if Henne shines, haters back off and be happy we have a QB, and don't get caught up in rooting for him to fail because you predicted it.

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 11:37 AM
a "new philosophy" that will rely on quick decisions and accurate passes, especially in the medium range. Henne will be the opening day starter IMO, even if we were to draft a QB at #15 (or anywhere else for that matter). there is a chance of a shortened camp and pre-season and it's going to be tough for any rookie QB to know the offense as well as Henne all the while adjusting to the pro game. i am, however, not confident in Henne winning that team back. you could see that team fall apart towards the end of the season and i don't think his teammates show much confidence in Henne. if he earns their trust back by playing well, great. we'll have one less thing to worry about. i don't see it, but stranger things have happened.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 11:45 AM
a "new philosophy" that will rely on quick decisions and accurate passes, especially in the medium range. Henne will be the opening day starter IMO, even if we were to draft a QB at #15 (or anywhere else for that matter). there is a chance of a shortened camp and pre-season and it's going to be tough for any rookie QB to know the offense as well as Henne all the while adjusting to the pro game. i am, however, not confident in Henne winning that team back. you could see that team fall apart towards the end of the season and i don't think his teammates show much confidence in Henne. if he earns their trust back by playing well, great. we'll have one less thing to worry about. i don't see it, but stranger things have happened.

Definitely agree, the obstacles are there . . . I'm not going to speculate on things too much. I think Henning was a cancer in the lockerroom but Henne just signed off on what he asked and it just didn't mix well, and that translated into teammates questioning Henne. I dunno, kid shows flashes, he also shows much inconsistency, but he is still only 25, with a real gifted arm and experience.

But Miami could not do any wrong by selecting a QB in round 1 . . . that would be the smartest move, because even though I think higher of Henne than alot of people there is no way I could put all my eggs in the "Henne" basket, unless the trade offer for us to move down is spectacular or we just don't like any of the QB's available when we pick.

Something about work ethic, motivation and ability keeps me rooting for a guy, and I hope Henne comes to camp ready for war . . . and I have no problems if it is against an opponet he is already familiar with (Mallet at Michigan).

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Definitely agree, the obstacles are there . . . I'm not going to speculate on things too much. I think Henning was a cancer in the lockerroom but Henne just signed off on what he asked and it just didn't mix well, and that translated into teammates questioning Henne. I dunno, kid shows flashes, he also shows much inconsistency, but he is still only 25, with a real gifted arm and experience.

But Miami could not do any wrong by selecting a QB in round 1 . . . that would be the smartest move, because even though I think higher of Henne than alot of people there is no way I could put all my eggs in the "Henne" basket, unless the trade offer for us to move down is spectacular or we just don't like any of the QB's available when we pick.

Something about work ethic, motivation and ability keeps me rooting for a guy, and I hope Henne comes to camp ready for war . . . and I have no problems if it is against an opponet he is already familiar with (Mallet at Michigan).

Henning certainly didn't put Henne in a good spot. i'm not going to deny that. our coaches ARE to blame for our woes on offense as well. our WR's are to blame for dropping easy passes. our OL and RB's are to blame for being inconsistent throughout the year. it's not just Henne. but he's the biggest factor in this equation. if you can find a QB who can play more consistently, some of the other problems will go away as well. so far, Henne hasn't shown he could be that QB.

SCOTTY
04-15-2011, 12:27 PM

Sorry, but I still just don't understand this thought process at all. This is the draft a QB in the 1st simply to draft a QB concept. I feel the exact opposite. Yes, without a doubt, Miami could do wrong by drafting a QB in the first, especially if it's not Gabbert or Newton.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 01:51 PM
Sorry, but I still just don't understand this thought process at all. This is the draft a QB in the 1st simply to draft a QB concept. I feel the exact opposite. Yes, without a doubt, Miami could do wrong by drafting a QB in the first, especially if it's not Gabbert or Newton.

But what seperates Gabbert and Newton from Mallet/Ponder/Locker? They all have their issues and the top 2 don't even play in a pro style offense.

You draft a QB in the first, because you are stuck with Ricky Stanzi and TJ Yates in the 3rd and beyond (other guys also). The BEST QB prospects are in the first, we don't have a 2nd rounder . . . we obviously need to find that franchise QB. You can put all your money on Henne if you want, I rather focus on the position. I'm tired of the mediocrity/less than mediocrity at the QB position in Miami. We have used 5 2nd round picks on QB's in the last 7 years . . . scraps/throw aways/less than the best guys . . . it hasn't worked.

You know how good that 2002 team was? We had 7 pro bowlers, a top 3 defense, the best RB in the league . . . but our QB was so mediocre we couldn't get into the playoffs (and the philosophy was just as bad as the one we have now). I gotta think with even a top 12 QB, we make the playoffs and make a Super Bowl run.

I actually can live w/o a QB in this draft, because I really LOVE the QB class next year . . . but if we are drafting Mike Pouncey or Gabe Carimi at 15 when Mallet/Locker/Ponder are sitting there . . . I'm gonna be sick.

SCOTTY
04-15-2011, 08:02 PM
But what seperates Gabbert and Newton from Mallet/Ponder/Locker? They all have their issues and the top 2 don't even play in a pro style offense.

You draft a QB in the first, because you are stuck with Ricky Stanzi and TJ Yates in the 3rd and beyond (other guys also). The BEST QB prospects are in the first, we don't have a 2nd rounder . . . we obviously need to find that franchise QB. You can put all your money on Henne if you want, I rather focus on the position. I'm tired of the mediocrity/less than mediocrity at the QB position in Miami. We have used 5 2nd round picks on QB's in the last 7 years . . . scraps/throw aways/less than the best guys . . . it hasn't worked.

You know how good that 2002 team was? We had 7 pro bowlers, a top 3 defense, the best RB in the league . . . but our QB was so mediocre we couldn't get into the playoffs (and the philosophy was just as bad as the one we have now). I gotta think with even a top 12 QB, we make the playoffs and make a Super Bowl run.

I actually can live w/o a QB in this draft, because I really LOVE the QB class next year . . . but if we are drafting Mike Pouncey or Gabe Carimi at 15 when Mallet/Locker/Ponder are sitting there . . . I'm gonna be sick.

I agree that we need to find that franchise QB. But (and I've made this point before)- how many franchise QBs are in a single draft? My answer 1, tops 2 (in a special year). And that is where Gabbert and Newton come in. After that, please tell me the last draft class that had 3 franchise QBs! If everyone team is saying Gabbert and Newton will be the franchise guys-history is against all the rest. I don't see this class as a special year where a Mallett or Ponder will become franchise guys. I just don't see it from these two. Which is why I don't go with either of them(that and the fact that after studying them I don't see it). I'm with you on next years class. I feel it is much stronger than this year. Which is why I say pass on a QB, trade back and fill holes...as many as possible. I have never said Henne is the answer nor do I beleive he is (I am NOT a Henne supporter). I just truely feel it would benefit this organization more to fill holes this year and go after a QB next year.