PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett, ready to meet with Dolphins for a second time, defends his character

DKphin
04-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Mallett leading into the draft has had to deal with nebulous concerns about his character. He has had to answer questions about alleged drug use during his college days, about what kind of leader he can be – about how he interacted with his teammates.
Earlier today he went on the air on 790 and he attempted to clear the air, so to speak. Here’s what Mallett had to say on a few select issues:
-on how it bothers him when he hears attacks on his leadership ability:
“I’ve heard that a couple times and I just don’t get it. Before I even played a down at Arkansas I was voted a team captain by my teammates. So I don’t quite understand that and then the next year I was voted a captain again so I was the captain two years [in a row] and that’s only happened maybe once or twice in the history of this program. So hearing that kind of – it makes me flinch a little bit because I don’t understand where people get that perception.”
-on the perception that he “stormed off” from his interview during the NFL Combine:
“I didn’t storm off at all. I was actually listening to the guy that was running the press conference and he said that there was one more question and I answered one more question and I looked back at him and he said, ‘Thanks, Ryan.’ And I looked back out to the media and I said, ‘Thanks guys,’ and I walked off. And when I was walking off people were continuing to ask questions. So that really wasn’t my responsibility after I was told that I was done, to keep answering questions.”
-on whether he’s ever had any issues with teammates:
“No, no sir. I’ve never had any kind of issues with a teammate on the sideline, in practice, in the locker room – anything like that. So don’t know where that’s coming from either. You look at what some of my teammates have said in the media after pro day and things like that and they’ll go to war with me at any time.”
-on his alleged drug use and where those rumblings came from:
“You know I couldn’t tell you. I couldn’t tell you. I just know that my record at Arkansas is clean. The coaches will tell you that. And I’m past that – I’m way past that, talking about that. I’m ready to get the draft going and start playing ball.”
-on whether he’s found that teams have shied away from him leading into the draft:
“Not as much as I’ve been traveling. I don’t feel like that at all. I’ve been on the plane just about every other day going to different cities and different teams. So I don’t think that’s been the case.”
So there you have it. After listening to this interview earlier, it’s clear that Mallett is making an effort to clear up the concerns about his character. The Dolphins like him enough, apparently, to continue to discussions with him.
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2011/04/ryan-mallett-ready-to-meet-with-dolphins-for-a-second-time-defends-his-character.html

uga3406
04-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Lets hope the next time he is meeting with the dolphins is when he is being introduced as thier number one pick :up:

X-Pacolypse
04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
It's time to draft a quality QB in the first round again. We all know what happened the last time this team did.

uga3406
04-14-2011, 06:16 PM
It's time to draft a quality QB in the first round again. We all know what happened the last time this team did.

yup he ended up becoming one of the greatest ever nfl quarterbacks to play the game

Aqua and Orange
04-14-2011, 06:40 PM
The last time the Dolphins selected a QB in the first round I was less than a year old. Now, I am pushing 30.

Yeah...it's been a friggin' long time.

X-Pacolypse
04-14-2011, 06:53 PM
yup he ended up becoming one of the greatest ever nfl quarterbacks to play the game

Bottom line, it's time to stop shopping at KMart, and start shopping at the Armani Exchange. You want the best? Then go out there and get the best! Stop buying cheap knockoffs and expecting them to just be as good, if not better than the original. Yeah, there's always the possibility that a first round QB could always wind up as a bust. You know what, though? You don't know if you don't try, and this play it safe mentality with QB position for the past decade has gotten this team NOWHERE. Be bold for once, and actually make a SERIOUS investment in the most important position in football.

BostonPhin4
04-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Bottom line, it's time to stop shopping at KMart, and start shopping at the Armani Exchange. You want the best? Then go out there and get the best! Stop buying cheap knockoffs and expecting them to just be as good, if not better than the original. Yeah, there's always the possibility that a first round QB could always wind up as a bust. You know what, though? You don't know if you don't try, and this play it safe mentality with QB position for the past decade has gotten this team NOWHERE. Be bold for once, and actually make a SERIOUS investment in the most important position in football.

I don't need Armani exchange(Gabbert, Newton). I'll take Marshalls, brand name clothes that should be selling for a lot more but for whatever reason have fallen out of favor and are now available for half the price despite there being absolutely nothing wrong with them(Mallet).

BlueFin
04-15-2011, 05:00 PM

The last time and the time before that(the only 2 times in Dolphin History), two hall of fame QB's, two greatest era's in Dolphin history.