PDA

View Full Version : Who Would Be a Trade Partner if Miami Trades out of #15?

matt11390
04-14-2011, 06:28 PM
After studying the first and second round draft order, it's obvious Miami is in a dilema because no team drafting behind them in round 1 has an early pick (before #49 the Jags and #50 the Chargers). If Miami wants to trade down in round one and get a second they will be forced to pick a QB in Round 1 because if they want Mallet or Ponder or ...most of the good QB's for that matter, they will all be gone by the time Miami picked in round 2.

So with that being said, what do you think is their strategy and who would be a trade partner for Miami? Do they stick at 15 and pick a QB or do they trade down? If they trade down late and pick up a late second round pick, Miami will obviously also receive an additional pick or two because they are receiving a later pick in round two. Could translate into an extra 3rd or 4th this year or a mid round pick next year.

If Miami is determined to trade down and receive a later 1st and later 2nd, and I was picking, I would choose either Mallet or Ponder in the 1st and WR Greg Little of UNC in the 2nd. Then pick TE DJ Williams or TE Jordan Cameron in the 3rd. In the 4th I'd pick RB Johnny White. In the 5th go with best interior OL available. In the 6th and our 3 7's I would go BPA.

In the first 4 picks we get 4 playmakers. I know some don't think we need a WR especially in round 2 but having a playmaker like Little would take so much pressure off our young QB. Little is a Marshall clone and he doesn't have burner speed but can you imagine having two Marshall's at WR? Their speed would be good enough to put pressure on defenses and free running lanes for our RB's. Speaking of which, I would only draft one RB this year in White and give Hilliard and our speedy back Sheets a chance to prove what they got. If they don't prove anything then sign a FA back when FA gets open again, or at the least draft a good RB in next year's draft.

CANDolphan
04-14-2011, 06:56 PM
The good news is, it doesn't really matter what the list looks like now. Teams are going to trade up and trade down so much, this draft will be unprecedented simply because of the lack of Free Agency. A team that gets a great offer to trade down (a top 10 team) might get a 2nd and a 3rd to drop down to the 20s, and then they have ammunition to maybe shoot back up and grab a guy that is high on their board for a 1st and a 2nd, still getting a 3rd for their troubles.

New Orleans is apparently interested in jumping in to grab one of the elite DEs... two of which will be available @ Miami's #15 pick. They have a 1st, a 2nd, and two 3rds.

vagrantprodigy
04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
We can trade back, I feel like there will definetly be interest. Little is a definite no though. His measureables are almost identical to Hartline's, and he fills the same role. If we get a WR, we need a burner. 4.5 is not fast in the NFL.

Show Me Your TDs
04-14-2011, 07:40 PM
I agree. If we trade back I only see a scenario we drop down a few spots for a extra 3rd or 4th rounder. I would be surprised if we trade to the bottom like last year unless we get something outstanding in return. I just don't see many trading partners and my hope is they have targeted QB to fill in the first. As much as I would like an extra pick I would much rather get the guy we want than plan B.

Finfanforever
04-14-2011, 08:32 PM
After studying the first and second round draft order, it's obvious Miami is in a dilema because no team drafting behind them in round 1 has an early pick (before #49 the Jags and #50 the Chargers). If Miami wants to trade down in round one and get a second they will be forced to pick a QB in Round 1 because if they want Mallet or Ponder or ...most of the good QB's for that matter, they will all be gone by the time Miami picked in round 2.

So with that being said, what do you think is their strategy and who would be a trade partner for Miami? Do they stick at 15 and pick a QB or do they trade down? If they trade down late and pick up a late second round pick, Miami will obviously also receive an additional pick or two because they are receiving a later pick in round two. Could translate into an extra 3rd or 4th this year or a mid round pick next year.

If Miami is determined to trade down and receive a later 1st and later 2nd, and I was picking, I would choose either Mallet or Ponder in the 1st and WR Greg Little of UNC in the 2nd. Then pick TE DJ Williams or TE Jordan Cameron in the 3rd. In the 4th I'd pick RB Johnny White. In the 5th go with best interior OL available. In the 6th and our 3 7's I would go BPA.

In the first 4 picks we get 4 playmakers. I know some don't think we need a WR especially in round 2 but having a playmaker like Little would take so much pressure off our young QB. Little is a Marshall clone and he doesn't have burner speed but can you imagine having two Marshall's at WR? Their speed would be good enough to put pressure on defenses and free running lanes for our RB's. Speaking of which, I would only draft one RB this year in White and give Hilliard and our speedy back Sheets a chance to prove what they got. If they don't prove anything then sign a FA back when FA gets open again, or at the least draft a good RB in next year's draft.

This is exactly my point on my thread "Dolphins in a Tough Spot at #15". If they can't trade down they almost HAVE TO take a QB or completely lose out. Hence all the time spend with Mallett. I indeed think he's the target...but I think they want him in the 20's.

matt11390
04-15-2011, 09:28 AM
This is exactly my point on my thread "Dolphins in a Tough Spot at #15". If they can't trade down they almost HAVE TO take a QB or completely lose out. Hence all the time spend with Mallett. I indeed think he's the target...but I think they want him in the 20's.

Couldn't agree more. Unless Miami is pulling a smokescreen with Mallet hoping to get someone to jump to them and trade for their pick, they are obviously looking hard at Mallet. I like Mallet's footwork in the pocket and without a doubt his strong arm. His footwork reminds me of how Marino would dance around the rush without running away from it. Anyway, I agree if he is the guy I hope they pick him at 15 as opposed to sliding down and losing out. My feeling is they mind can fall back in the low 20's and get him but Seattle could jump in front at that point with a trade and steal him.

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 09:35 AM
I think you all should take Mallett at 15.

I dont see anyone behind you that would want to move up for a player (unless the OT run starts earlier than I think).

Also I think Sea is going to be targeting Locker.

I really think 5 QBs will go in the 1st (Gabbert, Newton, Locker, Mallett, Ponder makes it into the first)

j-off-her-doll
04-15-2011, 09:39 AM

I dont see anyone behind you that would want to move up for a player (unless the OT run starts earlier than I think).

I really think 5 QBs will go in the 1st (Gabbert, Newton, Locker, Mallett, Ponder makes it into the first)

Who are you hoping the Bills draft?

I agree. We should draft Mallett.

matt11390
04-15-2011, 09:43 AM

I would do flips if Seattle took Locker.

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Who are you hoping the Bills draft?

I agree. We should draft Mallett.

My Last Mock looks like this, But working on my final one that will not include a trade and Blaine Gabbert will be my pick at 3rd. He has been at that spot since my first mock in Feb, until my last two that involved trades.

7th - Robert Quinn, OLB
34th - Cameron Heyward, DE
45th (From San Fran) - Marcus Gilbert, ROT
68th - Quan Sturdivant, ILB
108th - Jerrell Powe, NT
122nd - Deunta Williams, SS
133rd - Julius Thomas, TE
169th - Buster Skrine, CB
206th - Bilal Powell, RB
245 - Richardo Lockette, WR

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

I would do flips if Seattle took Locker.

I will say Pete will know him better than any other Organization out there.

matt11390
04-15-2011, 09:45 AM
My Last Mock looks like this, But working on my final one that will not include a trade and Blaine Gabbert will be my pick at 3rd. He has been at that spot since my first mock in Feb, until my last two that involved trades.

7th - Robert Quinn, OLB
34th - Cameron Heyward, DE
45th (From San Fran) - Marcus Gilbert, ROT
68th - Quan Sturdivant, ILB
108th - Jerrell Powe, NT
122nd - Deunta Williams, SS
133rd - Julius Thomas, TE
169th - Buster Skrine, CB
206th - Bilal Powell, RB
245 - Richardo Lockette, WR

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

I will say Pete will know him better than any other Organization out there.

I like some of those picks. It's obvious you like the TarHeels.

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 09:50 AM
I like some of those picks. It's obvious you like the TarHeels.

Nah Syracuse Alum, but NC had the best player on the board when I took them.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 10:33 AM
I think the Saints are a real interesting choice for trade down, because they probably can snag a pass rusher like Aldon Smith at 15 . . . really there biggest need I think. I also think Seattle could trade up as well if they really feel their QB is on the board. I also think maybe one of those early 2nd round teams could trade up and give up a 2012 first rounder along with this years 2nd. Say a team like Cincinnati takes AJ Green and then trades up with a Gabbert, Mallet, Ponder or Locker on the board at 15.

I would love that, and if your Miami you HAVE to do that move. Yes we need a QB, but Cincy could be terrible this year, and wouldn't that be something if we get a top 5 pick out of it and Andrew Luck is in play next year. So many options out there, less than 2 weeks away.

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 11:05 AM

hard to say. i think Tampa Bay might want to jump Jacksonville if, say, Aldon Smith is available at #15. San Diego (again lol) might want to get ahead of New England for Cameron Jordan/J.J. Watt. there are some scenarios that would allow us to trade down. but i agree, if Mallett is there at #15, i'd prefer if we just pick him.

vagrantprodigy
04-15-2011, 11:48 AM
I think the Saints, and Bucs will likely want to move up and get a DE, and possibly even the Falcons, if someone drops there that they like. Also, you never know who might drop, and be desirable.

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 12:00 PM
I think the Saints, and Bucs will likely want to move up and get a DE, and possibly even the Falcons, if someone drops there that they like. Also, you never know who might drop, and be desirable.

I dont see anyone moving up for a DE UNLESS maybe Watt is there, but there are ALOT of very good DEs in this draft and you could stay where you are in the MID 20's and still get some.

hooshoops
04-15-2011, 12:04 PM
the bucs at #20...want to get the top rated de still on the board at #15...if aldon smith gets there i see action...same for teams wanting to get up for a 3-4 de...watt or jordan

i think we'll have options

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 12:07 PM
the bucs at #20...want to get the top rated de still on the board at #15...if aldon smith gets there i see action...same for teams wanting to get up for a 3-4 de...watt or jordan

i think we'll have options
Could be I just see all three of them gone.

hooshoops
04-15-2011, 12:09 PM
Could be I just see all three of them gone.

corey liuget could be in play there also...if all three of them are gone something with some real appeal is gonna fall to us...thats all i can say

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 12:17 PM
corey liuget could be in play there also...if all three of them are gone something with some real appeal is gonna fall to us...thats all i can say

I got CLE taking Quinn
DAL taking Watt
Wash taking Jordan
Minny taking Smith

Leaving Liuget and Kerrington there at the top defenders. I dont see any trade up for those two players.
Leaves all OTs but Costanzo

I dont know 13-19 will be hard because I think there is no seperation from any of these players UNLESS A team is really in love with one. I could see them staying right were they are and waiting on their player. But I have been wrong in the past too

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 12:20 PM
I got CLE taking Quinn
DAL taking Watt
Wash taking Jordan
Minny taking Smith

Leaving Liuget and Kerrington there at the top defenders. I dont see any trade up for those two players.
Leaves all OTs but Costanzo

I dont know 13-19 will be hard because I think there is no seperation from any of these players UNLESS A team is really in love with one. I could see them staying right were they are and waiting on their player. But I have been wrong in the past too

Kerrigan might be enough IMO. he has made a lot of big plays as DE. just the type the Buccaneers are looking for IMO.

hooshoops
04-15-2011, 12:23 PM
Kerrigan might be enough IMO. he has made a lot of big plays as DE. just the type the Buccaneers are looking for IMO.

yeah in that scenario i agree...and i wouldn't sleep on someone coming up for liuget...that names on the rise big time...heck i'd take him over fairley anyways if i'm looking for a 4-3 dt

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 12:24 PM
yeah in that scenario i agree...and i wouldn't sleep on someone coming up for liuget...that names on the rise big time...heck i'd take him over fairley anyways if i'm looking for a 4-3 dt

btw i've heard some rumours Tampa Bay is sniffing heavily around Kyle Rudolph, even as high as #20. have you heard anything like that?

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Might be but who is between you and the Buc.

Jax - Might go DE, I see CB need more and the value is there
NE - I dont see Kerrington being the Rush OLB NE would take (Maybe)
SD - Need Oline Help, 5-Tech Help (Wilkerson IMO will be the pick)
NYG - Secondary and Oline needs

I think if the Bucs stay right where they are they can still get Kerrington or Arian Clayborn (Who I would take over Kerrington anyway)

hooshoops
04-15-2011, 12:29 PM
btw i've heard some rumours Tampa Bay is sniffing heavily around Kyle Rudolph, even as high as #20. have you heard anything like that?

nope...atlanta at #27 everything i've heard

crossfit93
04-15-2011, 07:49 PM
i think tampa bay is the perfect trade canidate. our 1st for their 1st, 3rd and 5th that would be 1501 to 1500 on the trade value chart. i think we could benefit big time from that trade and still get mallett. i also like that trade where we trade our 1st and maybe a 5th next year for cincys 2nd and their 1st next year basically putting us in great postion to get luck, but i think the tampa bay trade would be fine too.