PDA

View Full Version : #15 gabe carimi

dr.jake
04-14-2011, 08:19 PM
6'7 314. plays guard or tackle.my thought is that he pushes vern inside to rg and takes over the right tackle spot. starter from day one. not a glamorous pick but a likely probowler if not this season then probably next. instantly makes henne and the backs better. the safe pick and the smart pick. (ps if amukamera miraculously falls into our laps i would take him or entertain a very sweet tradeback.)

TKAllDay
04-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Carimi cannot make Henne better.

Finfanforever
04-14-2011, 08:27 PM
6'7 314. plays guard or tackle.my thought is that he pushes vern inside to rg and takes over the right tackle spot. starter from day one. not a glamorous pick but a likely probowler if not this season then probably next. instantly makes henne and the backs better. the safe pick and the smart pick. (ps if amukamera miraculously falls into our laps i would take him or entertain a very sweet tradeback.)

And the QB wil be...????????

X-Pacolypse
04-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I seriously hope you're wrong.

zach8111
04-14-2011, 08:34 PM
And the QB wil be...????????

you cant upgrade every hole with one pick... honestly do you see us getting a QB and his starting right away... i doubt any of these QBs that we will be able to draft are gonna have instant success (which will be the ONLY thing that will make dolphans fans happy... instant success)

beanh8er
04-14-2011, 08:39 PM
I guess this will do:
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/10wv7rqgifborder0-1.gif

Finfanforever
04-14-2011, 08:44 PM
you cant upgrade every hole with one pick... honestly do you see us getting a QB and his starting right away... i doubt any of these QBs that we will be able to draft are gonna have instant success (which will be the ONLY thing that will make dolphans fans happy... instant success)

No...you can't fill every hole...but QB is the BIGGEST hole! Your argument for Carimi doesn't have much validity...OT is not as much a need as OG. Carimi here doesn't even make as much since at #15 as a pass rushing OLB.

zach8111
04-14-2011, 08:51 PM
No...you can't fill every hole...but QB is the BIGGEST hole! Your argument for Carimi doesn't have much validity...OT is not as much a need as OG. Carimi here doesn't even make as much since at #15 as a pass rushing OLB.

in not a fan of drafting an OT (mainly cuz miami already came out and said they arent moving carey) but everyone say we HAVE to get a QB at 15.... when in all reality none of them really look like quality starters and will take a FEW years to develop... how many fans on here are gonna wait for a QB to develop without lashing out at the FO and really is sparano gonna be able to wait a few years. Just because you draft a QB at 15 doesnt mean he is a franchise QB.... there will be BETTER VALUE at other positions instead of reaching for a QB at 15

Finfanforever
04-14-2011, 09:01 PM
in not a fan of drafting an OT (mainly cuz miami already came out and said they arent moving carey) but everyone say we HAVE to get a QB at 15.... when in all reality none of them really look like quality starters and will take a FEW years to develop... how many fans on here are gonna wait for a QB to develop without lashing out at the FO and really is sparano gonna be able to wait a few years. Just because you draft a QB at 15 doesnt mean he is a franchise QB.... there will be BETTER VALUE at other positions instead of reaching for a QB at 15

That may be true...but we have been "safe" since Marino retired. Please! this kind of "safe" rederick in the pass happy NFL is ridiculous! QB is our biggest need with RB and OG a close second. Grab a QB in the first round because after that there will be nothing left.

dr.jake
04-14-2011, 09:01 PM
this qb draft simply doesn't provide the answer you seek.especialy at #15. we've already pissed enuf high picks on the like of culpepper,feely,beck,sage,harrington henne,etc.etc. with zero return.at #15 you grab a stud and not another project qb.

DKphin
04-14-2011, 09:04 PM
There is too much depth on the OL in this draft to justify taking a OL at 15 when we have other needs.

Finfanforever
04-14-2011, 09:10 PM
this qb draft simply doesn't provide the answer you seek.especialy at #15. we've already pissed enuf high picks on the like of culpepper,feely,beck,sage,harrington henne,etc.etc. with zero return.at #15 you grab a stud and not another project qb.

Ok...so what do you do with our other project...HENNE? Sometimes you have to roll the dice and go for it...Face it there is no "stud" in any draft if you are talking a sure thing. The Dolphins have to get a QB now...they cannot wait. Face it the Henne experiment is over. This regime knows it...if they don't get a QB and Henne has another year like last year...Ross will fire everybody!

zach8111
04-14-2011, 09:15 PM
That may be true...but we have been "safe" since Marino retired. Please! this kind of "safe" rederick in the pass happy NFL is ridiculous! QB is our biggest need with RB and OG a close second. Grab a QB in the first round because after that there will be nothing left.

yes we cant just stick with being safe but we have to be SMART with the pick too and not just take a QB for the sake of taking one

SamIam
04-14-2011, 09:19 PM
DR jake .. we need to fix the QB position now, just look at the Tampa bay bucs, they are an average team at best but had a very good year because freeman played like a franchise QB.

Mallett is worth the risk because he has the skills and ability to be a franchise QB, sure he could bust but it's worth the risk

Finfanforever
04-14-2011, 09:25 PM
yes we cant just stick with being safe but we have to be SMART with the pick too and not just take a QB for the sake of taking one

Duh..that goes without saying... that is why the Fins are studying nearly all the QB's in this draft and especially Mallett.

zach8111
04-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Duh..that goes without saying... that is why the Fins are studying nearly all the QB's in this draft and especially Mallett.

it doesnt go without saying considering alll the pick we have made that werent smart... but if we do draft a QB with the 15 pick (mallet) it will be because we think he is a franchise and not just to take a QB just to take one. but if mallet, newton and gabbert are gone, you CANT take a QB at 15.... either trade back or take a different position.

Roonnette
04-14-2011, 09:30 PM
this qb draft simply doesn't provide the answer you seek.especialy at #15. .

The Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco draft did not provide an answer for us. If this draft does not provide an answer with all these different style QBs, Tyrod, Kaepernick, Gabbert, mallett, Ponder, Yates, Stanzi, Enderle, I don't think any draft ever will provide an answer for you. If Phins don't get their QB this year, they will not get one for another 10 years.

zach8111
04-14-2011, 09:35 PM
The Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco draft did not provide an answer for us. If this draft does not provide an answer with all these different style QBs, Tyrod, Kaepernick, Gabbert, mallett, Ponder, Yates, Stanzi, Enderle, I don't think any draft ever will provide an answer for you. If Phins don't get their QB this year, they will not get one for another 10 years.

it doesnt matter how many different types of QBs are in this draft.... if the right one isnt there then you wont find one. out of all those names maybe mallet and gabbert and thats it might be a franchise QB and those are the only ones worth a first rounder.

SF Dolphin Fan
04-14-2011, 11:07 PM
It's funny my first mock sometime in November or December had Miami taking Gabe Carimi in round 1. I like him a lot, but if the front office isn't convinced on Chad Henne I think it has to be a quarterback -- either Ryan Mallett or Christian Ponder I would think.

SCOTTY
04-15-2011, 12:46 AM
Ok...so what do you do with our other project...HENNE? Sometimes you have to roll the dice and go for it...Face it there is no "stud" in any draft if you are talking a sure thing. The Dolphins have to get a QB now...they cannot wait. Face it the Henne experiment is over. This regime knows it...if they don't get a QB and Henne has another year like last year...Ross will fire everybody!

This is the mentality that will kill the organization. Draft a QB simply to draft a QB. Who cares who it is-right? We need one so just go draft one at 15. Well, the other side of that is, there isn't anyone that will make any kind of difference at 15. No thanks. Tell me what the difference is of taking a QB at 15 just to take one, and taking White in the 2nd??????

SCOTTY
04-15-2011, 12:48 AM

Worst most untrue statement of OPINION I have seen posted!

state06
04-15-2011, 01:56 AM
taking an OG at 15 is a mistake

Elliott 1
04-15-2011, 02:43 AM
If Sparano had come out and said they were thinking of moving Carey inside it would have showed their hand, at least partially.

Never ever believe what is said by team officials this time of year. Their comments are absolutely worthless.

I defintely think the Dolphins need to focus on QB 1st, but that doesn't necessarily mean using the 15th pick on a QB.

The Dolphins will most certainly be looking to trade down. They may even trade out of the 1st round.

Depending on how things go, Carimi may be available in the late part of round 1.

Theoretically, the Dolphins could trade down and still draft a top tier OT and pick up a 2nd; and then turn around and trade up in the 2nd to get their QB.

Example: Dolphins trade down with Seattle at 25 and get their 2nd as comp. Then the Dolphins trade up with Buffalo giving them their 2012 2nd. Dolphins draft Kaepernick or Ponder with the #34 pick. Then draft a couple TE's and a RB or two, a OG/C prospect and those two specimens from CO School of Mines and you got yourself a great draft. It will be easier next year to recover the 2012 2nd because things should be back to normal, if there really is such a thing.

sunworshipper
04-15-2011, 09:39 AM
If the Dolphins drafted a rookie who started at RT, I think they would just cut Carey, not move him to guard. His salary doesn't justify keeping him at guard or as a backup.

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 11:23 AM
If the Dolphins drafted a rookie who started at RT, I think they would just cut Carey, not move him to guard. His salary doesn't justify keeping him at guard or as a backup.

he's too good of a player to just cut him, despite of his contract.

Doctor Phibes
04-15-2011, 11:49 AM
There's no question they need to address the tackle position. Epic fail from Ireland so far on that score and it finally came back to bite us last season when Long and Carey got hurt. But with the #15 pick ?? Don't think so.

Carey has actually been paid most of his monster contract now. It's just 4-5m basic the rest of the way and unless his weight or knees become a major issue I think he sticks at RT

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 01:08 PM
I am on board with this pick. Gabe at 15

ROADRUNNER
04-15-2011, 01:25 PM

ha ha ha...........no.

Finfanforever
04-15-2011, 06:08 PM
This is the mentality that will kill the organization. Draft a QB simply to draft a QB. Who cares who it is-right? We need one so just go draft one at 15. Well, the other side of that is, there isn't anyone that will make any kind of difference at 15. No thanks. Tell me what the difference is of taking a QB at 15 just to take one, and taking White in the 2nd??????
Your point on what I wrote is so out of context...I just can't say it...so I will move on. I am not saying to draft a QB just to draft a QB! Only a retarded idiot would say that...However to continuous ignore the most important position (QB) is as equally stupid. This organization has played if safe too long (THAT mentality will kill an organization). Fiedler, Feeley, Henne, White, Culpepper< this list seems to be endless... since Marino retired teams have LAUGHED at our lack of ability to pass the ball. Now we have a chance with Mallett to change that. All the rumors have produced...well...nothing substanciated but rumors. The "play-it-safe" teams won't touch him. I myself for the first time since 1983 am willing to roll the dice on a "rumored- red-flag" QB. The last time that happened a guy name Dan Marino was the pick. Mallett might be a flop...grant it...but to draft an OT and keep Henne as your starter is ALREADY a flop...and we don't have to wait until January to know it!:crazy:

Finfanforever
04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
I am on board with this pick. Gabe at 15

If I was a Bills fan I would be too!

BlueFin
04-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Can he throw the ball for Henne?

Finfanforever
04-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Can he throw the ball for Henne?

Oh c'mon Blue...you want to draft a QB just to draft one too???? Darn!

JamesBW43
04-15-2011, 08:47 PM
If you don't think any of the available QBs are worth the 15th pick, and you don't think you can get a good deal to trade down, I like taking Carimi.

hooshoops
04-16-2011, 09:16 AM
if i have to take an olineman at #15 which i loathe the idea of i'm taking pouncey over carimi...i think ones a plug and play at left guard and the others a projection there...

pretty much what it comes down to

dr.jake
04-16-2011, 10:48 AM
DR jake .. we need to fix the QB position now, just look at the Tampa bay bucs, they are an average team at best but had a very good year because freeman played like a franchise QB.

Mallett is worth the risk because he has the skills and ability to be a franchise QB, sure he could bust but it's worth the risk

tampa bay won the superbowl with brad johnson.a ninth round journeyman.

beanh8er
04-16-2011, 10:56 AM
Different times. Different coach. Amazing defense.

dr.jake
04-16-2011, 11:26 AM
different times? it was in 2003 ! since then undrafted qbs kurt warner and jake delhomme have led their tems to the superbowl. free agent drew brees who we could have had over culpepper. brady a 6th rounder,hassselbeck a 6th rounder and rich gannon and rex grossman. we don't NEED a first round QB to turn this franchise around. (esp. when the qbs in this class simply don't shine). we need to take the BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD! and at #15 i guarantee it ain't a QB. and wishing don't make it so.

BlueFin
04-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Everybody likes to bring up the same two rare exceptions to the rule, the problem with it is that they are exceptions.

The top 3 defenses in NFL history are the 85' Bears, 00' Ravens and the 02' Buccaneers, now the question you have to decide is do you have a better chance of landing a top ten QB in a given year by investing a high pick in one, or are your chances greater of building one of the top 3 defenses in NFL history and going with a journeyman?

Our own Dolphin history shows the odds are greater of finding a franchise QB in round one, two hall of famers who got us to the Superbowl(Griese and Marino).

SCOTTY
04-16-2011, 11:48 AM
different times? it was in 2003 ! since then undrafted qbs kurt warner and jake delhomme have led their tems to the superbowl. free agent drew brees who we could have had over culpepper. brady a 6th rounder,hassselbeck a 6th rounder and rich gannon and rex grossman. we don't NEED a first round QB to turn this franchise around. (esp. when the qbs in this class simply don't shine). we need to take the BEST PLAYER ON THE BOARD! and at #15 i guarantee it ain't a QB. and wishing don't make it so.

Nice Post. Completely agree.

BlueFin
04-16-2011, 11:50 AM

More than half of the Superbowl winning QB's in NFL history came from round one, that makes the odds incredibly higher in round one versus getting one in a given later round or undrafted.

dr.jake
04-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Everybody likes to bring up the same two rare exceptions to the rule, the problem with it is that they are exceptions.

The top 3 defenses in NFL history are the 85' Bears, 00' Ravens and the 02' Buccaneers, now the question you have to decide is do you have a better chance of landing a top ten QB in a given year by investing a high pick in one, or are your chances greater of building one of the top 3 defenses in NFL history and going with a journeyman
Our own Dolphin history shows the odds are greater of finding a franchise QB in round one, two hall of famers who got us to the Superbowl(Griese and Marino).
you seem to have left out david eugene woodley.8th rounder.

BlueFin
04-16-2011, 12:01 PM
you seem to have left out david eugene woodley.8th rounder.

Yeah, the journeyman who had the best defense in the league and played awful in the Superbowl and got beat. In a strike shorted season where nearly everybody made the playoffs.

dr.jake
04-16-2011, 12:07 PM
yeah. woodley playing in the superbowl sucks. (0-1 same as dan) i'd type in first round qb flameouts but it'd take about 50 pages.

BlueFin
04-16-2011, 12:14 PM
yeah. woodley playing in the superbowl sucks. (0-1 same as dan) i'd type in first round qb flameouts but it'd take about 50 pages.

Dan didn't have the leagues #1 defense(his was ranked #19), and he didn't play poorly, the team around him did.

Woodley flat out cost us Superbowl 17.

dr.jake
04-16-2011, 02:19 PM
0-1.

ckparrothead
04-16-2011, 02:28 PM
I love Gabe Carimi. I love Anthony Castonzo. Both will be excellent players, I'm sure. And, there's room for both in the Dolphins short/long term plans.

Carimi seems like he might be more possible short term because he can play LG until Carey is out of the picture. But he's never played on the right side so long term I wonder about that viability. Or maybe they just keep him as a Steve Hutchinson LG to pair with Jake Long. That's the kind of left side of a line that can MAKE an offense pretty dangerous...if you think Carimi plays LG like Hutchinson. That's kind of a sizable IF though because Carimi hasn't played there.

Castonzo, I'm not really sure what you do with him short term. Make him a LG? Or move Carey to the interior and put Castonzo back on the side he started out his Boston College career at, the right side? I don't know. I'm not all about Carey moving in to Guards. I think Guards have to be more agile, more mobile than tackles. Tackles have to be big tall pillars with long arms that can kick slide. I think Guards have to be more directionally diverse. On that basis I would probably want Castonzo to be the one kicking inside, not Carey. Then long term Carey's out and Castonzo pairs with Jake...and a good tackle tandem also impacts an offense.

But the problem is obvious. If you don't have a QB to hang your hat on, you're wasting time. Is Henne that guy? After last year, I find that hard to believe. But, who knows I guess. Maybe things click. Maybe they plan to take a QB next year. But if that's the case, I have to say it again, you're wasting valuable time continuing to trifle with a guy you know is not the answer and not grooming a guy that could be the answer.

BlueFin
04-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Nobody wanted Henne to do well more than me, I even bought a Henne jersey. But I am now convinced that he doesn't see the field well and is inconsistent, and as Mel Kiper made the point, he has been since Michigan.

ckparrothead
04-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah I don't get why Kiper like trashes Henne one minute and the next is like "Oh but they should stick with him"

BlueFin
04-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Yeah I don't get why Kiper like trashes Henne one minute and the next is like "Oh but they should stick with him"

I noticed the same thing...it's almost like the Raven fan in him comes out, Kiper the Draft guy: : "Henne is inconsistent and I never liked him".....Kiper the Raven's fan " The Dolphins should stick with Henne, its too early to give up on him".

BARF
04-16-2011, 02:50 PM
all i know is we need draft o line if we could get the best rt on the board, and then slide carey to rg we have done 2 things with one pick, we need to rebuild that oline, and that is the one pick that solves 2 problems

BlueFin
04-16-2011, 02:53 PM
all i know is we need draft o line if we could get the best rt on the board, and then slide carey to rg we have done 2 things with one pick, we need to rebuild that oline, and that is the one pick that solves 2 problems

Thats all well and good, but without a QB is will be meaningless.

Valandui
04-16-2011, 04:12 PM
I love Gabe Carimi. I love Anthony Castonzo. Both will be excellent players, I'm sure. And, there's room for both in the Dolphins short/long term plans.

Carimi seems like he might be more possible short term because he can play LG until Carey is out of the picture. But he's never played on the right side so long term I wonder about that viability. Or maybe they just keep him as a Steve Hutchinson LG to pair with Jake Long. That's the kind of left side of a line that can MAKE an offense pretty dangerous...if you think Carimi plays LG like Hutchinson. That's kind of a sizable IF though because Carimi hasn't played there.

Castonzo, I'm not really sure what you do with him short term. Make him a LG? Or move Carey to the interior and put Castonzo back on the side he started out his Boston College career at, the right side? I don't know. I'm not all about Carey moving in to Guards. I think Guards have to be more agile, more mobile than tackles. Tackles have to be big tall pillars with long arms that can kick slide. I think Guards have to be more directionally diverse. On that basis I would probably want Castonzo to be the one kicking inside, not Carey. Then long term Carey's out and Castonzo pairs with Jake...and a good tackle tandem also impacts an offense.

But the problem is obvious. If you don't have a QB to hang your hat on, you're wasting time. Is Henne that guy? After last year, I find that hard to believe. But, who knows I guess. Maybe things click. Maybe they plan to take a QB next year. But if that's the case, I have to say it again, you're wasting valuable time continuing to trifle with a guy you know is not the answer and not grooming a guy that could be the answer.
Wasn't Logan Mankins an OT coming out that they kicked to guard? Also, I know you aren't too high on Nate Solder, but what about as a guard prospect? Wouldn't his athleticism serve him better inside?

finfan54
04-16-2011, 05:21 PM
mallett wont make you happy this year at all if forced to play. just get that straight through your brain should you be thinking mallett at 15.

We will look to trade down all day long IMO and yes, carimi will be a great pick if we do move down and end up with him.