PDA

View Full Version : please don't draft Ryan Mallett, pretty please

Baddteeth
04-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Don't do it. Just don't do it. Jamarcus Russell the sequel. Don't do it!!!!!

Nublar7
04-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Unless they trade down in the first round, I doubt they reach for Mallett at 15.

datruth55
04-15-2011, 11:05 AM
The rumors about drinking and drugs would take him off my board but I don't see him as a JaMarcus Russell. This kid has but in more work than JaMarcus ever has. From what I've heard about him he has a solid work ethic. I've heard that from every QB in this draft except Cam Newton.

Spesh
04-15-2011, 11:10 AM
There has never been a single question about Ryan Mallets desire to play the game of football.

I remember stories at the combine about how Russell's family members would have to convince clubs that he "really was a motivated person". Only the Raiders bought it, and the rest is history.
The minute someone finds something on him(conclusively) about drug use, i'd consider passing on him. But the fact that he was arrested walking home drunk one night is actually a plus in my book. The man could have been driving.

You see Jamarcus Russell, i see Phillip Rivers.

TXFinFan
04-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Fastest loss of credibility by a poster ever?

fish_fan
04-15-2011, 11:13 AM
Don't see the comparison. JaMarcus constantly battled Lethargy Addiction and unfortunately lost the fight...

Mallett has red flags which require a lot of research but work ethic doesn't appear to be one of them.

BlueFin
04-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Awful thread, at least post an adequate argument if your going to start a thread, this is a waste of space.

Vaark
04-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Dan Marino was alleged to abuse cocaine - how did that work out again?

Aqua and Orange
04-15-2011, 11:54 AM
Frankly, I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, and many dislike Mallett. I am not one of those, but that is neither here nor there.

All I ask is that you give some sort of support for your argument. "Please don't" doesn't paint any picture or lend credibility to the argument.

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 11:57 AM

I am on board with that I do not want MIA to actually get a legit QB either, stay with Henne please

Elliott 1
04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
You see JaMarcus, Brian Billick sees Ryan Leaf written all over him, Scott Wright sees Derek Anderson,I see disaster.

No, actually I see futility; another exercise in complete and utter futility. I have to say amen to your plea for us to be spared.

Fintastic2124
04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
There's nothing to back your 'argument' up. I'm guessing you'd rather trade down to the top of the second and take kaepernick?

Mr. Magoo
04-15-2011, 12:17 PM
Dan Marino was alleged to abuse cocaine - how did that work out again?

That's not proof of anything and you know it.

I personally don't have too much of a problem with Mallett's character. I don't see any reason to doubt that there's something out there lurking that we haven't heard about -- and it's serious enough some teams don't have him on their boards and the ones that haven't taken him off have downgraded him somewhat -- but I think the questions about his work ethic have been answered.

My problem is with Mallett on the field. I don't look at Ryan Mallett and see Jamarcus Russell or Derek Anderson or anything like that. I see Kerry Collins. As in, a clone of Kerry Collins. Same elogated delivery, same slow feet that don't readjust well after movement, same inability at times to react to the unexpected. But also, a cannon for an arm and a great deep ball. Collins has always had those two things. I just think that those are overrated attributes, similar to how being able to run (ala Cam Newton) is an overrated attribute.

You need to have a strong arm and you need to be able to elude people and reset your feet, but a circus freak show cannon of an arm isn't that much of an advantage and neither is the ability to carry the ball 15 times a game as a quarterback.

BTW: One thing that no one around here seems to realize is that Mallett is not at all suited to the Dolphins' receivers, especially to Marshall and Bess. Those are short area separation guys who are suited to a quarterback with a quick release and good anticipation, neither of which Mallett particularly has. His ability to fire a 50 yard pass on a rope is completely useless when you have guys like Marshall and Bess who almost never get 50 yards down the field, and aren't open when they try it. The idea that you draft Mallett with a first round pick and then have him operate the dink and dunk game our receiving talent dictates is madness to me.

Roonnette
04-15-2011, 12:38 PM

Terrible. Your job is not to project success or behavior. Your job is to say who you like watching play at QB.

beanh8er
04-15-2011, 01:22 PM

I personally don't have too much of a problem with Mallett's character. I don't see any reason to doubt that there's something out there lurking that we haven't heard about -- and it's serious enough some teams don't have him on their boards and the ones that haven't taken him off have downgraded him somewhat -- but I think the questions about his work ethic have been answered.

My problem is with Mallett on the field. I don't look at Ryan Mallett and see Jamarcus Russell or Derek Anderson or anything like that. I see Kerry Collins. As in, a clone of Kerry Collins. Same elogated delivery, same slow feet that don't readjust well after movement, same inability at times to react to the unexpected. But also, a cannon for an arm and a great deep ball. Collins has always had those two things. I just think that those are overrated attributes, similar to how being able to run (ala Cam Newton) is an overrated attribute.

You need to have a strong arm and you need to be able to elude people and reset your feet, but a circus freak show cannon of an arm isn't that much of an advantage and neither is the ability to carry the ball 15 times a game as a quarterback.

BTW: One thing that no one around here seems to realize is that Mallett is not at all suited to the Dolphins' receivers, especially to Marshall and Bess. Those are short area separation guys who are suited to a quarterback with a quick release and good anticipation, neither of which Mallett particularly has. His ability to fire a 50 yard pass on a rope is completely useless when you have guys like Marshall and Bess who almost never get 50 yards down the field, and aren't open when they try it. The idea that you draft Mallett with a first round pick and then have him operate the dink and dunk game our receiving talent dictates is madness to me.

Mallet has a delivery that is comparable to some of the fastest in the league and is quite compact for someone his height.

DAFINZ
04-15-2011, 01:47 PM
The off the field troubles and rumors do make me worry a little, but the reason I don't draft Mallet is because I don't think he would be much of an improvement over Henne; I think they're both cut from the same mold with Mallet's cockiness/quirkiness/whatever-you-wanna-call-it being the only major difference. If the purpose is to upgrade over Henne then the only QB I would consider drafting in the early rounds is Ponder, who brings a different skill set than both Henne and Mallet. But drafting Ponder at 15 is a reach IMO. I hope we can find a trading partner and try to recover that 2nd round pick.

Mr. Magoo
04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
Mallet has a delivery that is comparable to some of the fastest in the league and is quite compact for someone his height.

No it isn't. And "compact for his height" means exactly nothing. Releases aren't graded on a curve based on your height.

You want to see a tall guy with long arms have a quick release? Take a look at Sam Bradford. That's how you throw the football when you're gangly like that.

Baddteeth
04-16-2011, 02:58 AM
Sorry to all you crazies on here. My point was after watching him play in the sec alot he isn't an nfl qb. He will not work out at the nfl level because he doesn't have an accurate enough arm. That was the JaMarcus Russell comparison. Any sane person who paid attention to his play against real competition should agree(aka scouts). The questions about his character and drug abuse should only push our front office further away. Does this thread have "credibility" now?

Lord Of Miami
04-16-2011, 03:45 AM
Sorry to all you crazies on here. My point was after watching him play in the sec alot he isn't an nfl qb. He will not work out at the nfl level because he doesn't have an accurate enough arm. That was the JaMarcus Russell comparison. Any sane person who paid attention to his play against real competition should agree(aka scouts). The questions about his character and drug abuse should only push our front office further away. Does this thread have "credibility" now?

Most people just see his arm and that's it! They don't see a guy that can't beat a blitz or side step it and buy more time.

He himself knows he's a sitting duck in the pocket, and he'll even tell you he loses his cool,then makes bad plays because of it, but all some see is his arm.

He's coming into the nfl playing the same way Jim Everett was going out.

But on the flip side Chad Henne plays like that as well but at least Ryan Mallett takes chances.I give Mallett about 30% odds of becoming a good QB just like Cam, but odds are both guys are out of the nfl in 3 years.

With all that said i'd still draft the guy because i think i could take the B**** out of him.He's a top 20 talent,but i wouldn't draft him tell the 3rd round.

jlfin
04-16-2011, 07:20 AM
The off the field troubles and rumors do make me worry a little, but the reason I don't draft Mallet is because I don't think he would be much of an improvement over Henne; I think they're both cut from the same mold with Mallet's cockiness/quirkiness/whatever-you-wanna-call-it being the only major difference. If the purpose is to upgrade over Henne then the only QB I would consider drafting in the early rounds is Ponder, who brings a different skill set than both Henne and Mallet. But drafting Ponder at 15 is a reach IMO. I hope we can find a trading partner and try to recover that 2nd round pick.

The biggest difference betwen Mallett and Henne is accuracy and ball placement. If Henne had those 2 attributes he would be a budding star. His lack of accuracy and inconsistency directly led to the dismal losses to the Lions and Browns last season.

Dajesus
04-16-2011, 07:55 AM
The biggest difference betwen Mallett and Henne is accuracy and ball placement. If Henne had those 2 attributes he would be a budding star. His lack of accuracy and inconsistency directly led to the dismal losses to the Lions and Browns last season.

I would disagree I think the biggest diferince is descision making. Mallett tends to lock on to a reiever and tust his arm too much. Henne does the opposite and tends to 2nd guess his arm and is way to indesisive with the ball.

This is a very tough choice if he is on the board at 15 when we pick. This kid has every tangible quality you want in franchise QB, but questions about his ethic, having too much faith in his arm, and ability to evade the passs rush, has most NFL teams scratching their collective heads. I think there is a 50/50 shot this kid could be a huge star, but with no 2nd round pick it is a tough gamble needing so much help at RB and o-line as well.

Breed
04-16-2011, 08:25 AM

The only thing Russel and Mallett have in common is the big arm. Mallett is more accurate, a better team leader, can diagnose defenses better and last but certainly not least, has awareness in the pocket. The latter of which cannot be taught.

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Unless they trade down in the first round, I doubt they reach for Mallett at 15.

What makes Mallett a reach at 15? I doubt he makes it out of the top 10.

Breed
04-16-2011, 08:28 AM

No, not at all.

PATSSUCK
04-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Most people just see his arm and that's it! They don't see a guy that can't beat a blitz or side step it and buy more time.

He himself knows he's a sitting duck in the pocket, and he'll even tell you he loses his cool,then makes bad plays because of it, but all some see is his arm.

He's coming into the nfl playing the same way Jim Everett was going out.

But on the flip side Chad Henne plays like that as well but at least Ryan Mallett takes chances.I give Mallett about 30% odds of becoming a good QB just like Cam, but odds are both guys are out of the nfl in 3 years.

With all that said i'd still draft the guy because i think i could take the B**** out of him.He's a top 20 talent,but i wouldn't draft him tell the 3rd round.

I would take a Jim Everett over Henne anyday of the week.

30% you pulled that out of nowhere and you know it

3rd round? Reallly? If he didnt have the rumors, he would probably be the 1 overall pick or at least top 5.

PATSSUCK
04-16-2011, 09:03 AM
He played in the SEC. He threw 32 tds, completed 64 % of his passes ( with people dropping passes all over the place), and he had only 12 ints. I am sorry why cant he be successful again.

Funny that Tedslimm and CK both love the kid and I would take their opinion over anyone when it comes to QBs.

rickd13
04-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Mallett scares the hell out of me, and it is not because of his character issues. It is because he is such a stiff athletically. He seems like a sack waiting to happen. Mr. Magoo compared him to Kerry Collins in another thread and I think he is right on the money with that comparison. Actually, I think Mallett might even be more of a "stiff" than Collins. The closer we get to the draft, the more I am becoming an advocate of drafting Christian Ponder and maybe even doubling up with a guy like T.J. Yates.

beanh8er
04-16-2011, 09:50 AM
No it isn't. And "compact for his height" means exactly nothing. Releases aren't graded on a curve based on your height.

You want to see a tall guy with long arms have a quick release? Take a look at Sam Bradford. That's how you throw the football when you're gangly like that.

What's wrong with Mallett's delivery? Break it down piece by piece. Is it the fact that he brings it straight back rather than loading from the hip? Or the fact that once he brings it forward the angular velocity (how many degrees per second) is equivalent to Drew Brees and Ben Roethlisberger? Mallet doesn't even have long arms, his arms are like 33 inches. You have no clue what you're talking about.

Breed
04-16-2011, 09:58 AM
I would take a Jim Everett over Henne anyday of the week.

30% you pulled that out of nowhere and you know it

3rd round? Reallly? If he didnt have the rumors, he would probably be the 1 overall pick or at least top 5.

I got a laugh at that post as well. He wouldn't touch Mallett before the 3rd round? I agree with you, Mallett is a top 5 talent that may slip a little because of unsubstantiated rumors. However, even if he slips, I doubt he makes it out of the top 12. I'd love to see Miami trade up for him.

Roonnette
04-16-2011, 10:03 AM

I think you are selling people short. Firstly, he can side step it. That is not an issue. Second, Beating the blitz is an issue of knowing the blitzes, which comes with experience. There were times when Mallett did beat the blitz, and times when he did not. Same goes for everyone in this draft class, and in the NFL. So I don't put too much stock on seeing him fail to recognize a blitz--it's a constant when watching a film on all QBs. This goes hand in hand with calling right protections.

He will not work out at the nfl level because he doesn't have an accurate enough arm. That was the JaMarcus Russell comparison. Any sane person who paid attention to his play against real competition should agree(aka scouts).

JaMarcus was lazy, did not show up for workout, for camps. A QB can't progress from college to NFL without putting in time. I've heard nothing about Mallett being unwilling to put in time. As far as accuracy, Mallett is up there with the best of them.

Spesh
04-16-2011, 10:06 AM

Your original post had a point?
The man is known among scouts for his deep ball placement and accuracy. He completed the season with something like a 65% completion rating. From universaldrafts report for the Sun Sentinel:

When watching the deep passes, the thing that immediately jumps out at you is the throw selection and ball placement on these throws. The perimeter throws are almost all thrown to the outside shoulder in order to give his receiver, rather than the defensive back, the best chance at the catch. This is a quarterback that owns the football and has no fear of throwing the ball exactly how and exactly where he wants, regardless of the depth of the throw.

Thru the first 10 games of the year, when Mallett faced the blitz from the shotgun, he completed almost 77% of his passes with a 10.5 yards per attempt average, 4 touchdowns and 0 interceptions. Over the same time period, when facing the blitz from under center, Mallett was just under 56% completion with a 10.0 yards per attempt average, 5 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. That is phenomenal work against the blitz, and it shows what a combination of Mallett’s anticipation of and sense for pressure is able to do when he stands strong and uses that big arm of his.

So what about Mallett’s decision-making, particularly under pressure? I counted only 3 real bad throwing decisions from among the 43 pass attempts.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_lies_damn_lies_and_1.html

Vaark
04-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Please don't presume to tell me what I know or don't know! What I know I know is that the alleged rumors circling around Mallett are no more cause for concern than they were when surrounding Marino. And from that analogy if you're in the camp that likes Mallett's game, goddmammit, it's exactly the same!

Now whether you've got issues with Mallett's game, technical aspects, personality or whatever, you're very much entitled to your opinion although that's what it is. I certainly appreciate your elaborating to support your assertions -BUT they've got as little to do with the issue raised re the rumors and innuendos surrounding him as Dan's technical game had to do with him being an alleged cokehead :idk:

However, while I'm not going about disputing or refuting your claims, although there are more than a few around here who do, the way they're couched has inspired me to recommend the addition of a new smiley to the admins. So thanks .:up:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/73m2z6-1.jpg

Baddteeth
04-16-2011, 11:59 AM
He had games where he was on, but they were all against weaker opponents. When he played the better defenses, he was inaccurate and missed IMPORTANT throws. He will be a liability on offense in this league. We pick a RB or go defense. Don't drink the kool-aid, dudes. Plus, you can tell he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer when he talks. We need an intelligent, accurate leader at QB to compete in the AFC east. Not a "big arm" and a roll of the dice.

Breed
04-16-2011, 12:23 PM
Mallett scares the hell out of me, and it is not because of his character issues. It is because he is such a stiff athletically. He seems like a sack waiting to happen. Mr. Magoo compared him to Kerry Collins in another thread and I think he is right on the money with that comparison. Actually, I think Mallett might even be more of a "stiff" than Collins. The closer we get to the draft, the more I am becoming an advocate of drafting Christian Ponder and maybe even doubling up with a guy like T.J. Yates.

Tom Brady is about as "stiff" and nonathletic as one can get, but he somehow manages to get by.

Breed
04-16-2011, 12:25 PM
He had games where he was on, but they were all against weaker opponents. When he played the better defenses, he was inaccurate and missed IMPORTANT throws. He will be a liability on offense in this league. We pick a RB or go defense. Don't drink the kool-aid, dudes. Plus, you can tell he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer when he talks. We need an intelligent, accurate leader at QB to compete in the AFC east. Not a "big arm" and a roll of the dice.

There's so much wrong with this post I'm not even sure where to begin. But as for the whole "kool-aid" thing, I was high on Mallett before it became it trend.

Nublar7
04-16-2011, 12:47 PM
What makes Mallett a reach at 15? I doubt he makes it out of the top 10.

I personally believe Mallett is a late first round pick, early second round pick. Don't get me wrong, I like Mallett and would like to see the Dolphins draft him, just not in the top half of the first round. If they pick him at #15, it is indeed a reach.

BlueFin
04-16-2011, 12:50 PM
I personally believe Mallett is a late first round pick, early second round pick. Don't get me wrong, I like Mallett and would like to see the Dolphins draft him, just not in the top half of the first round. If they pick him at #15, it is indeed a reach.

If you have a conviction on a QB, you don't risk losing him by gambling on getting him at a spot where many teams would take him.

The position is too important, now if they are not sold on him, I would have to ask why draft him in round 1 at all?

Mr. Magoo
04-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Please don't presume to tell me what I know or don't know! What I know I know is that the alleged rumors circling around Mallett are no more cause for concern than they were when surrounding Marino. And from that analogy if you're in the camp that likes Mallett's game, goddmammit, it's exactly the same!

Now whether you've got issues with Mallett's game, technical aspects, personality or whatever, you're very much entitled to your opinion although that's what it is. I certainly appreciate your elaborating to support your assertions -BUT they've got as little to do with the issue raised re the rumors and innuendos surrounding him as Dan's technical game had to do with him being an alleged cokehead :idk:

However, while I'm not going about disputing or refuting your claims, although there are more than a few around here who do, the way they're couched has inspired me to recommend the addition of a new smiley to the admins. So thanks .:up:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/73m2z6-1.jpg

If you're willing to believe that because you like a quarterback if he has allegations of drug use that's something you just aside because, well, Marino had rumors of drug use and that turned out okay... then that's pretty foolish. It would be like saying, "well, the last President we had that was a one term congressman was Abraham Lincoln so the next time a one term congressman runs we should all vote for that guy because he'll be as good a president as Ol' Abe!"

It may very well be that Mallet is getting railroaded for no good reason, as Marino was. But it's far more likely that there's at least something there. Heck, the commonly accepted wisdom going back to last year was that the only reason Mallet waited until this year to come out was because the teams knew he had issues with drugs and he needed to prove to them he could stay clean.

Jerry Glanville traded Brett Favre away from Atlanta because he was an alcoholic malcontent. Favre later more famously got addicted to painkillers. But just because he got himself cleaned up and will be in the Hall of Fame in a few years does not mean those problems aren't, you know, problems. There's way more names on the list of guys who failed to overcome it.

I can just picture Dick Vermeil going, "well O.J. Simpson had a problem abusing women and he turned out okay so I guess this Lawrence Phillips guy is going to be fine, too." Wrong. Every situation is different. Every guy is different.

Phinatic8u
04-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Slimm & CK love him, thier opinion on QBs, especially Slimm, I take in a higher regard than anybodys. **** even mine. I even coach football & I second guess myself when I talk to those 2.

Roonnette
04-16-2011, 01:00 PM

Who is better at 15? Who makes an impact?

Valandui
04-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Tom Brady is about as "stiff" and nonathletic as one can get, but he somehow manages to get by.
He also doesn't have anywhere near the arm Mallett does.

Valandui
04-16-2011, 01:28 PM
This is a big difference. That alone makes me want him more than Henne. I would much rather have someone who cares if they win or lose.

CANDolphan
04-16-2011, 02:27 PM

You sincerely have no idea what you're talking about. Your first real argument was his was inaccurate and misplaced the trajectory of his passes, which "scouts agree with"

If there is one thing scouts will unanymously agree on, it is that Mallet is probably the most accurate passer in this crop of quarterbacks, especially the deep ball. Stop with the ignorance. You are probably a Gator fan, so I implore you to look at the Florida vs Arkansas homecoming game. He was missing important throws there? He was playing against a soft secondary there? I don't think so. He was doing this against Jenkins and Haden, against Ahmad Black and Will Hill. He was playing an amazing secondary and carved them up hard just like he did against Ohio State.

Honestly I hate to sound like an ******* but you're 34 years old. You should be wise enough to know that you should really do your research before being so gung-ho on a subject. Ignorance is zero excuse.

Spesh

Judging someone's intelligence based off an interview is akin to judging someone's intelligence based off of a thread they start.

During Jon Gruden's quarterback camp segment, Mallett seemed fairly uptight when going over some tape with Gruden. When Gruden asked him to hit the whiteboard, Mallett visible relaxed and went on a roll. Gruden seemed to light up as Mallett explained everything about not only the play, but what he would do differently depending on the different situations presented by a defense.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6348822

With that, and other factors, i'd argue that Mallett's football intelligence is through the roof. One of his best features is his ability to read a defense before the snap. He called out all the protections while playing at Arkansas. None of the stuff listed screams "football idiot".
In the link i posted before, they go through the good and the bad throws against any opponent. Anytime he'd do something bad, no matter the competition, it was dissected. The results were that his accuracy was impressive. Not only does he get the ball to the person he needs to, but he puts it in spaces that give the receiver the best chance to grab it.

You keep posting how he strugged against good competition. Prove it. Show some evidence. A few times now people have brought up the Alabama game(believe it was Alabama game, so many myth's and rumors disproven here i can't keep them straight), Ck and Tedslimm broke down his performance and showed he did more good then bad. As much as i despise Nick Saban, your not going to face his level of defenses very often, even in the NFL.
I'm a Ponder guy. I've been outspoken of him for months now, and am on his bandwagon. That being said, the more i learn about Mallett, the more i like. There is no denying that he has the most upside of any quarterback not named Newton. A couple of weeks ago, i would have felt satisfied had we drafted Mallett at 15. As more time passes and now that we are days away from the draft, my opinion has changed: I would love for us to trade up to make sure we grab him.

CANDolphan
Slimm & CK love him, thier opinion on QBs, especially Slimm, I take in a higher regard than anybodys. **** even mine. I even coach football & I second guess myself when I talk to those 2.

That's because being an assistant highschool football coach is wildly different than being any type of scout.

Roonnette
04-16-2011, 02:51 PM
I loved his intelligence in the interview. He is a simple no nonsense guy, and he came off mature. Gabbert on the other hand has all kinds of maturity red flags for me. He is the biggest bust potential considering his youth, maturity and draft status.

etsudolfan
04-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Ponder or Mallett...either one is fine by me

finfan54
04-16-2011, 08:08 PM
for what its worth, which isnt much, but at least I would never compare to russell or anyone else because Mallett is his own guy IMO. First off, anyone who uses character or even mentions it should consider big ben. yeah after fact. whatever.....he was drunk one night! Congratulations boy! Your Human!

The biggest argument I hear from people here is that he is non-mobile. Is Peyton Manning? Is Tom Brady? Brady ran the slowest time in QB history at combine and looked like a complete dweeb.

The biggest thing about QB's, which people rarely mention around here, is the mental aspect of the game and studying defenses and hitting the open guy. To me, Mallett is a study of the game and has a quick enough release. Its really mental, not arm motion or anything like that in the end. The end is knowing the game and defenses and knowing mismatches and such and getting the ball to the right guy. Marino knew mentally where he was going with the ball. The rest was sheer determination and as he would put it "you can either throw it or you cannot".

Once again, Manning isnt athletic. Brady not athletic. They know what to do with the ball and create mismatches on consistant basis and set up defenses.

Mallet is a study of the game is seemingly better at reading defenses than anyone else in this draft. His problem comes when teams blitz him like crazy and defense changes in midstream. A great OL would solve this problem, which is still a problem for us. Mallett would actually fit what Daboll is looking for in the NE type offense that he is looking to bring. If we do go for Mallett, dont expect great things right away, but I would say dont expect Jemarcus Russell by any stretch of any imagination. He will just end up like most QB's who end up as backups or moving around the league types if he does not pick up the mental aspects of the NFL and make it happen.

CANDolphan
04-17-2011, 02:43 AM
I like your point however I have to always clarify things, even if they are on my side of the coin.

Brady may not be athletic but he is the most "mobile" qb in the pocket in the NFL. His footwork and ability to side step and immediately plant are seriously text book in terms of what you want a QB to do.

Look at this.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d8089c108&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

NFL Networks top 10 most mobile QBs of ALL TIME. Notice #7? Yup, thats a guy who ran a 5.2 40 yard dash in his athletic prime. Why? Because he was insanely difficult to sack in the pocket. He could scoot over, readjust, and release the ball, all in literally half a second. He could move forward, backward, skirt around an arm tackle... he was just incredible at it. Brady is the same way. Manning... he isn't on the same level.

Henne? Henne collapses like a sack of potatoes. Mallett doesn't have the footwork nor the footspeed to be on that level. He just doesn't. Does this mean he won't be a good QB? No. He just won't be on that level and he'll have to adjust, that's all.

rickd13
04-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Hey CK, I admire your work on the draft, and your thoughts and opinions about players more than just about anyone on here. I think we have a lot of similar opinions. So I have to ask you; Doesn't Ryan Mallett remind you of Drew Bledsoe? If he does, doesn't that scare the crap out of you? When Bledsoe had time, and a clean pocket, he could throw it with the best of them. However, if you forced Bledsoe to move his feet and reset, he was done.

Breed
04-17-2011, 08:33 AM
I like your point however I have to always clarify things, even if they are on my side of the coin.

Brady may not be athletic but he is the most "mobile" qb in the pocket in the NFL. His footwork and ability to side step and immediately plant are seriously text book in terms of what you want a QB to do.

Look at this.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story?id=09000d5d8089c108&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

NFL Networks top 10 most mobile QBs of ALL TIME. Notice #7? Yup, thats a guy who ran a 5.2 40 yard dash in his athletic prime. Why? Because he was insanely difficult to sack in the pocket. He could scoot over, readjust, and release the ball, all in literally half a second. He could move forward, backward, skirt around an arm tackle... he was just incredible at it. Brady is the same way. Manning... he isn't on the same level.

Henne? Henne collapses like a sack of potatoes. Mallett doesn't have the footwork nor the footspeed to be on that level. He just doesn't. Does this mean he won't be a good QB? No. He just won't be on that level and he'll have to adjust, that's all.

Agreed. Except I think you have those 2 backwards. Nobody (currently) is better at sensing pressure and avoiding it than Peyton Manning. The Colts' OL is, and has always been, a product of Peyton Manning. It's hard to imagine, but they're even worse run blocking than pass blocking. That Indy OL is dreadful.

CANDolphan
04-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Agreed. Except I think you have those 2 backwards. Nobody (currently) is better at sensing pressure and avoiding it than Peyton Manning. The Colts' OL is, and has always been, a product of Peyton Manning. It's hard to imagine, but they're even worse run blocking than pass blocking. That Indy OL is dreadful.

Manning has an uncanny sense of knowing when pressure is on him i.e. his "internal stopwatch" when he hikes the ball. He has a laser fast delivery and throws the ball away at literally 1/10th of a second's notice.

Brady doesn't have this, but he is superb at sliding and moving around in the pocket. He doesn't have the happy feet that Manning does. When it comes down to absolute pocket presence and footwork, Brady is above Manning. It's not even close. Brady always has his feet calm, cool, and collected, and they are picture perfect. There is no quarterback in the league near Brady in terms of quarterback technique. He is so sound it is disgusting. He is the ultimate product of incredible coaching reaching an incredible student.

You are correct though... Peyton Manning's "spider sense" is not really something you can teach, though... so it's unfair to expect people to have it, ya know?