PDA

View Full Version : Todd McShay Does Not Like Mallett As The Answer For The Dolphins

Aqua and Orange
04-15-2011, 11:47 AM
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2011/04/todd-mcshay-on-ryan-mallett-i-don’t-see-him-as-the-answer-for-the-miami-dolphins.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2FMiamiDolphinsweblog+%28Miami+Dolphins+%7C+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs%29

Omar Kelly speaking with Todd McShay:

“What’s your read on what the Dolphins should do at No. 15, especially given they don’t have a second-round pick – and, secondly, there seems to be growing buzz down here surrounding Ryan Mallett … what do you make of how interested Miami might be in him?”

“Ryan Mallett – I just don’t know where you take him. Are you going to trade back and take him? Or are you going to take him at 15 overall? It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me. Packaging picks to move up for a guy that just had character concerns and you’re not sure is going to be the leader and have the maturity that you want him to [have].

“I just – I don’t know. Maybe I’m missing something here but I just don’t see him as the right answer for the Miami Dolphins.”

So, all of you in the Mallett camp: What are you guys seeing that McShay isn’t?

Omar goes on to agree with McShay that the Dolphins should draft O-line with the 15 pick.

McShay sounds uninformed on this one to me, going with the vague and easy "He's got character stuff." If the Dolphins are lucky/smart/brave enough to get Mallett at 15, it will be yet another prediction of his that is proven wrong.

As for the 15 pick, if the Dolphins are convinced Mallett and Mike Pouncey will both be solid starters, you have to roll the dice with Mallett. This whole thing is like a do-over of the Jake Long draft.

TedSlimmJr
04-15-2011, 12:03 PM
Mike Pouncey... Jake Long... John Hannah... Anthony Munoz.. doesn't matter. None of them can throw the football for Chad Henne...

Miami has to get a quarterback...period. It's probably a good idea for Miami to take the best pure passer in the draft if he's staring them in the face with the 15th pick...

How many draft picks, and how much money do they need to spend in order to get this offensive line "guru" a functional offensive line? Too damn many...

I can find a guard in rounds 3-7, I know damn well I can. They should be able to do the same...

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 12:04 PM
To be honest....

Mallett should be your pick.

What I hope for is.......

Take a RB or OLine with 15. Then I get to see Henne lining up against the Bills twice a year again

Aqua and Orange
04-15-2011, 12:07 PM
To be honest....

Take a RB or OLine with 15. Then I get to see Henne lining up against the Bills twice a year again

Ireland, take note of this. This is what the rest of the league is thinking.

Fintastic2124
04-15-2011, 12:17 PM
To be honest....

Take a RB or OLine with 15. Then I get to see Henne lining up against the Bills twice a year again. What's it gonna take for you to convert? :up:

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 12:21 PM
. What's it gonna take for you to convert? :up:

Ha I actually watch the Fins alot, specially now I am here in Orlando...

The rub here is with you all not having a 2nd rounder. Unless you take your QB at 15 you are not getting one.

I see as many as 8 going in the first 50 picks.

BostonPhin4
04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
I love the Oline argument. Our Oline is more than serviceable, we need depth which can be found in rounds 4-6. The Bears made the NFC championship with the worst Oline in football. You don't need 1st round picks or pro bowlers are every position on the line.

Tuna recently said he regretted taking Long over Ryan and Long is a top 5 LT in this league. Let's hope the Phins learned their lesson along with him. All the first rounders and time in the pocket inthe world won't make Chad Henne a solid starter.

Trading down and taking two lesser prospects in round 1 and round 2 will be another in a series of huge mistakes that this team has made in the draft.

As much as I dislike the Jets, I envy their draft strategy and b@lls. They identify their guy (Revis, Sanchez) and then go get him no matter what the cost. Franchise players are worth it, I'd sell our entire draft for a franchise Qb. We have enough role players its time to get some playmakers at impact positions to take this team to the next level.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 01:10 PM
The biggest myth on this board is that we have a "horrid" OLine . . . not it isn't as good as the 2008/2009 OLine . . . but if the group is healthy, it definitely is serviceable and if Incognito can improve over Joe Berger from last season at OC, then it becomes even better. The big issue was health . . . Garner was our LG, he was out for the year. Ritchie was our RG, had to move out of position because of the Garner injury. Grove just never got healthy so we were stuck with Berger and couldn't move Ritchie because of the LG hole. Jerry was thrown in, got sick and never recovered. Big Vernon battled through nagging injuries all year and Jake was in a sling half the year. We were forced to see Lydon Murtha and Pat Mcquistan in there much more than we should have.

It is almost incomprehensible if we take OLine at 15 over a QB or an offensive talent like Mark Ingram . . . hell, people don't have to agree with me . . . take even Jake Locker at 15 . . . if you believe he can be a successful passer. OLine at 15 is not acceptable, not in this draft . . . we have potentially the best bookend duo at tackle in the league when they are healthy . . . a Guard/Center at 15 . . . NO!!

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 01:14 PM
The biggest myth on this board is that we have a "horrid" OLine . . . not it isn't as good as the 2008/2009 OLine . . . but if the group is healthy, it definitely is serviceable and if Incognito can improve over Joe Berger from last season at OC, then it becomes even better. The big issue was health . . . Garner was our LG, he was out for the year. Ritchie was our RG, had to move out of position because of the Garner injury. Grove just never got healthy so we were stuck with Berger and couldn't move Ritchie because of the LG hole. Jerry was thrown in, got sick and never recovered. Big Vernon battled through nagging injuries all year and Jake was in a sling half the year. We were forced to see Lydon Murtha and Pat Mcquistan in there much more than we should have.

It is almost incomprehensible if we take OLine at 15 over a QB or an offensive talent like Mark Ingram . . . hell, people don't have to agree with me . . . take even Jake Locker at 15 . . . if you believe he can be a successful passer. OLine at 15 is not acceptable, not in this draft . . . we have potentially the best bookend duo at tackle in the league when they are healthy . . . a Guard/Center at 15 . . . NO!!

I think this is what your pick really should be, I have him over Mallett. But I stay away from pimping Locker to much because I an tired of defending him, But in 3-5 years he will be a top ten QB in the NFL

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
I think this is what your pick really should be, I have him over Mallett. But I stay away from pimping Locker to much because I an tired of defending him, But in 3-5 years he will be a top ten QB in the NFL

just curious, why do you want Gabbert at #3 when you think Locker will be that good? how likely is it that we're going to see two elite QB's out of one class?

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 01:25 PM
just curious, why do you want Gabbert at #3 when you think Locker will be that good? how likely is it that we're going to see two elite QB's out of one class?

Because I really do think Gabbert and Locker will both be top NFL QBs.

Now I also think Locker will be a little better than Gabbert, but that being said I am NOT taking Locker at 3rd overall. If I work some trade downs I would take him then.

But IMO the two top QBs that will come out of this class will be Gabbert and Locker with Mallett being a close third (as long as he has a WALL as an Oline in front of him and can keep him clean)

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Because I really do think Gabbert and Locker will both be top NFL QBs.

Now I also think Locker will be a little better than Gabbert, but that being said I am NOT taking Locker at 3rd overall. If I work some trade downs I would take him then.

But IMO the two top QBs that will come out of this class will be Gabbert and Locker with Mallett being a close third (as long as he has a WALL as an Oline in front of him and can keep him clean)

i find that strange lol i'm convinced Mallett will be the best QB in this draft. i might be right or wrong, but i absolutely would pick him first among all the QB's, even at #3 etc.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 01:31 PM
I just don't see that "long term" success with Newton . . . but who knows. I could see Ponder battling in the playoffs for years, but probably never get a ring unless he has a real great defense.

All this Ryan Mallet talk . . . just doesn't seem very Miami like to show their card so quick . . . this is the same GM that said we would pick a great "defensive" player in 2008 at #1 overall.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 01:34 PM
i find that strange lol i'm convinced Mallett will be the best QB in this draft. i might be right or wrong, but i absolutely would pick him first among all the QB's, even at #3 etc.

Mallet is no doubt the best QB prospect in this draft, but when you see the Russell's and the Leaf's of the past, and you hear rumors about attitude and off the field stuff . . . I think any NFL would be crazy to just overlook that stuff. Throw in that he isn't very athletic and can make boneheaded throws in crunch time and it is a concern. You better be certain Mallet is ready to "lead" an NFL franchise with millions in his bank account and not be a distraction off the field. Ben Rothlisberger is the exception, not the rule . . . it just isn't smart if you feel he could have problems in the future.

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 01:37 PM

What Concerns me is the Mobility aspect. Play Man under and make him move like teams did with Kurt Warner and you got him. He is going to need an Oline to keep him Clean IMO.

Ranking these QBs in 3-5 years I think you are going to see Locker, Gabbert and Mallett as the top three. I like the physical ability of Cam Newton but I think as a QB he will be the worst out of the 5 I see going in the 1st round (Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, Locker, Ponder)

newlownorder
04-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Our O-line was banged up badly last year, so to say we have a bad O-line is just lazy assumption. People need to stop with the whole Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl comment. Trent Dilfer did not WIN a Super Bowl for his team, he had an AMAZING Defense and didn't make enough mistakes to lose games in the playoffs, period. QB is our #1 need right now and if Mallett is there at 15 staring you in the face you have to pull the trigger or accept mediocrity in the AFC East. Is Mallett going to start at the beginning of the year? No. Add speed and TALENT to this team, try to upgrade an already blossoming D a bit and we may be okay this year.

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 01:38 PM
Mallet is no doubt the best QB prospect in this draft, but when you see the Russell's and the Leaf's of the past, and you hear rumors about attitude and off the field stuff . . . I think any NFL would be crazy to just overlook that stuff. Throw in that he isn't very athletic and can make boneheaded throws in crunch time and it is a concern. You better be certain Mallet is ready to "lead" an NFL franchise with millions in his bank account and not be a distraction off the field. Ben Rothlisberger is the exception, not the rule . . . it just isn't smart if you feel he could have problems in the future.

i'm not telling anyone to overlook concerns. as a matter of fact, i'm not telling anyone to do anything. i'm following my own judgment. that's it. i think Mallett will be the best QB of this class, despite all of the other stuff that's floating around him.

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 01:40 PM
What Concerns me is the Mobility aspect. Play Man under and make him move like teams did with Kurt Warner and you got him. He is going to need an Oline to keep him Clean IMO.

Ranking these QBs in 3-5 years I think you are going to see Locker, Gabbert and Mallett as the top three. I like the physical ability of Cam Newton but I think as a QB he will be the worst out of the 5 I see going in the 1st round (Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, Locker, Ponder)

Warner was a successful QB in the NFL, despite a lack of mobility and a tendency to hold the football too long. i wouldn't be devastated at all if we got ourselves a Kurt Warner.

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Warner was a successful QB in the NFL, despite a lack of mobility and a tendency to hold the football too long. i wouldn't be devastated at all if we got ourselves a Kurt Warner.

Look I am not killing Mallett here I am saying he will be the 3rd best one out of this class. I look at comparisons like this...

Gabbert - Phillip Rivers
Locker - Aaron Rodgers
Mallett - Drew Bledsoe (Now when Bledsoe was kept clean there was not many better, but when he was under pressure he could NOT Avoid it)... Keep Mallet clean and he will be a very good QB.

Kdawg954
04-15-2011, 01:42 PM
i'm not telling anyone to overlook concerns. as a matter of fact, i'm not telling anyone to do anything. i'm following my own judgment. that's it. i think Mallett will be the best QB of this class, despite all of the other stuff that's floating around him.

Oh I know what you r saying, I was speaking in general . . . one thing a rookie salary cap would do I think is lessen the blow of taking a guy like Mallet and if he just doesn't give a **** after a year or 2, then it isn't a big deal, you just go fishing again. When so much money is involved and attached to a cap . . . I think it just makes deliberating all these guys more of a task . . .especially the QBs.

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Look I am not killing Mallett here I am saying he will be the 3rd best one out of this class. I look at comparisons like this...

Gabbert - Phillip Rivers
Locker - Aaron Rodgers
Mallett - Drew Bledsoe (Now when Bledsoe was kept clean there was not many better, but when he was under pressure he could NOT Avoid it)... Keep Mallet clean and he will be a very good QB.

i'm not taking offense at all. you have your opinion and that's fine. it seems like everyone likes a different QB best this year lol

greasyObnoxious
04-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Oh I know what you r saying, I was speaking in general . . . one thing a rookie salary cap would do I think is lessen the blow of taking a guy like Mallet and if he just doesn't give a **** after a year or 2, then it isn't a big deal, you just go fishing again. When so much money is involved and attached to a cap . . . I think it just makes deliberating all these guys more of a task . . .especially the QBs.

yeah, i know. but finding a QB is a big risk in and by itself. you have to have some guts and trust your judgment. if he becomes a great QB, everything else will be forgotten. if Mallett busts out, well too bad. back to the well again.

BillsFanInPeace
04-15-2011, 01:48 PM
i'm not taking offense at all. you have your opinion and that's fine. it seems like everyone likes a different QB best this year lol

Tracking....

One thing is for sure I actually like all three. And I have done Mocks for the Bills including all three.

3rd overall - Gabbert
14 Overall - Mallett
22 overall - Locker

Though I never had one when I took Ponder or Newton

hooshoops
04-15-2011, 02:45 PM
todd mcshay carries zero weight with me...

Aqua and Orange
04-15-2011, 02:45 PM

My thoughts exactly. People keep comparing Mallett to Bledsoe, but I see a lot of Kurt Warner in him.

The important thing is that there is a precedent for success for a relatively immobile pocket passer.

hooshoops
04-15-2011, 03:00 PM
kurt warner didn't have anything the level of mallets arm...mobility wise i think its pretty similar i guess...mallets got a bit more pocket mobility than drew bledsoe did...that cat was a statue

DAFINZ
04-15-2011, 04:04 PM

Gabbert - Phillip Rivers
Locker - Aaron Rodgers
You are severely overrating Gabbert. Gabbert isn't 1/3 the passer Rivers was coming out of college (perhaps a little exaggeration, but the comparison just really really threw me off). If any of the QBs from this draft could be compared to Rivers, it would be Mallet and his arm. Also helping this comparison is the brash attitude both guys exhude.

Thumper1016
04-15-2011, 04:30 PM
I don't give a rats *** what Mcgay thinks. Espn will blast us for our pick no matter what we do. We need a QB.

BlueFin
04-15-2011, 04:52 PM
I'm really not very interested in McShay's opinion, or anyone else for that matter that hasn't focused everyday on the Miami Dolphins and lived thru the last 11 years of QB mediocrity.

I really am not impressed with McShay and his opinions in general.

Phinatic8u
04-15-2011, 06:56 PM
Marino wasn't mobile at all, but his quick movements in the pocket were amazing.

Mallett has those same things as Marino had, can't scramble but has little steps in the pocket that help him dodge pass rushers.

The Furminister
04-15-2011, 07:06 PM
McShay is a hack!

X-Pacolypse
04-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Mike Pouncey... Jake Long... John Hannah... Anthony Munoz.. doesn't matter. None of them can throw the football for Chad Henne...

Miami has to get a quarterback...period. It's probably a good idea for Miami to take the best pure passer in the draft if he's staring them in the face with the 15th pick...

How many draft picks, and how much money do they need to spend in order to get this offensive line "guru" a functional offensive line? Too damn many...

I can find a guard in rounds 3-7, I know damn well I can. They should be able to do the same...

Fire M0r0n0 and hire TedSlimm!

nyfinzfan
04-15-2011, 10:42 PM
If he was a squeaky clean Christian like Warner we wouldnt be having this conversation but he aint...dudes got big issues.

phinfan33
04-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Would any of you say Mallett is a possible Franchise QB like Jaime Dukes said on NFLN Wednesday night?

MadDog 88
04-16-2011, 01:02 AM
Omar Kelly and Todd McShay together. The blind leading the blind. :bobdole:

beanh8er
04-16-2011, 01:10 AM
If he was a squeaky clean Christian like Warner we wouldnt be having this conversation but he aint...dudes got big issues.

Allegedly.

Roonnette
04-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Omar Kelly and Todd McShay together. The blind leading the blind. :bobdole:

Wonderfully said. Those two fools never made a football decision of any significance.

beanh8er
04-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Would any of you say Mallett is a possible Franchise QB like Jaime Dukes said on NFLN Wednesday night?

I'd say he's the most likely to become one.

WVDolphan
04-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Conversely, I dont like Todd McShay as the answer for my draft expert.