PDA

View Full Version : Is Kaepernick still a possibility?

Ruepert
04-15-2011, 09:16 PM
With all the Mallett talk, I forgot about Kaepernick. This got me thinking. I know 15 is too high, but could Miami be paying all this attention to Ryan Mallett to get a team like Seattle to trade their 1st and 2nd to get him. This could allow us maybe to get Kaepernick and a running back such as Ryan Williams. Then in rounds 3 and 4 pick up DJ Williams and Edmund Gates. That would give us some speed on O, then use the rest of draft on Oline depth and some defensive projects. A rookie QB most likely won't start for the Dolphins this year, so if Ireland and company are sold on CK, go get him and let him learn Daboll's system and get some bulk. Always appreciate everyone's opinions.

X-Pacolypse
04-15-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't rule anything out with this regime anymore.

beanh8er
04-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Edmund Gates in the fourth? :bobdole: I'm assuming that Denarius Moore is out of the running, or else no way.

Ruepert
04-15-2011, 09:29 PM
A speed receiver like a Gates or a Moore! Whichever. I've actually read that Gates could go as high as early 3rd.

nyfinzfan
04-15-2011, 10:50 PM
I think Mallet is smoke....I think its Kapernick all the way. remember MOBILITY

SF Dolphin Fan
04-15-2011, 11:59 PM
I would have to think that Christian Ponder and Colin Kaepernick are at the top of the Dolphins quarterback wish list with the hopes to trade down a bit and still get one of these guys. There's a lot to like about Ryan Mallett, but man is he slow with everything he does (drop back, release). I just don't know if he can speed things up at the next level. Ponder is near perfect in his footwork, dropback and quick release. Kaepernick is a guy a team will need to be more patient with, but his upside is off the charts really.

BARF
04-16-2011, 12:17 AM
daboll is going to want a mobile qb, example look at colt mccoy, and what he did with him in cleveland

Nublar7
04-16-2011, 12:21 AM
Kaepernick may actually be a better pro prospect over Mallett. Mallett carries a lot of baggage.

MadDog 88
04-16-2011, 12:58 AM
Kaepernick is not even close to the ability of Mallet. No one in this draft is more accurate and has a deep ball as nice as Mallets. Additionally, the talk of lack of leadership and drug use has died because there was nothing to it. He was elected a Captain of the Razorbacks before playing a down for them. As for mobility, maneuverability is key in the pocket and Mallet is excellent there as well. Mallet played in the SEC against top flight competition. He is hands down a much better prospect and to suggest that Kaepernik is as good is insance.

beanh8er
04-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Kaepernick is not even close to the ability of Mallet. No one in this draft is more accurate and has a deep ball as nice as Mallets. Additionally, the talk of lack of leadership and drug use has died because there was nothing to it. He was elected a Captain of the Razorbacks before playing a down for them. As for mobility, maneuverability is key in the pocket and Mallet is excellent there as well. Mallet played in the SEC against top flight competition. He is hands down a much better prospect and to suggest that Kaepernik is as good is insance.

This 1000 times. Also he has a quick release much quicker than Kaep's.

nato47
04-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Pistol offense QB... no thanks. No way Colin can play right away in the NFL, he needs at least 3 yrs in a pro style offense. Parcells admitted to drinking the pat white kool aid, let's not repeat the same idiotic move. Have some guts and draft mallett. Character concerns are bs, as long as ANY player out plays the headaches he causes then ANY team will put up with it.

Elliott 1
04-16-2011, 02:49 AM
I think Kaepernick has been the plan all along.

They probably thought back around senior bowl time that they could be sure to get him with a late 2nd, but now realize it will take a 1st round pick to get him.

I expect the Dolphins to trade down from the #15 and take Kaepernick later in the 1st round after adding a pick or 2 or 3. They may even trade out of the 1st round with Denver and risk Kap still being there in the early 2nd round.

The late interest in Ryan Mallett is an obvious smokescreen. This FO wants a mobile QB.

I thought it was interesting that out of the 7 QB's that tested with ESPN Sports Science, Kaepernick had the best," touch," on his passes; something his critics accuse him of not having. He not only has it, he has better touch on his passes than Mallett or even Ponder, according to Sports science.

One by one the critics are being silinced; or rather should be silenced. They go on with their crap even after they been proven wrong over and over again.

The same is true with his release. Kap's release is no where near as long as they tried to make out. It isn't even a slow release, it is average.

They try to say he is a project and is raw, but he is a 4yr starter with records, and a reputation of having elite leadership skills, maturity way beyond his years, and an IQ superior to his peers.

Kaepernick will immediately bring class and confidence to the team he joins, Mallett will immediately bring trepidation and suspicion to the team he joins.

Kaepernick is the best QB prospect in this draft and will have the most successful NFL career of any of this year's draft class.

Gabbert is way overrated and Newton is a phony.

Locke
04-16-2011, 03:53 AM
I think Kaepernick has been the plan all along.

They probably thought back around senior bowl time that they could be sure to get him with a late 2nd, but now realize it will take a 1st round pick to get him.

I expect the Dolphins to trade down from the #15 and take Kaepernick later in the 1st round after adding a pick or 2 or 3. They may even trade out of the 1st round with Denver and risk Kap still being there in the early 2nd round.

The late interest in Ryan Mallett is an obvious smokescreen. This FO wants a mobile QB.

I thought it was interesting that out of the 7 QB's that tested with ESPN Sports Science, Kaepernick had the best," touch," on his passes; something his critics accuse him of not having. He not only has it, he has better touch on his passes than Mallett or even Ponder, according to Sports science.

One by one the critics are being silinced; or rather should be silenced. They go on with their crap even after they been proven wrong over and over again.

The same is true with his release. Kap's release is no where near as long as they tried to make out. It isn't even a slow release, it is average.

They try to say he is a project and is raw, but he is a 4yr starter with records, and a reputation of having elite leadership skills, maturity way beyond his years, and an IQ superior to his peers.

Kaepernick will immediately bring class and confidence to the team he joins, Mallett will immediately bring trepidation and suspicion to the team he joins.

Kaepernick is the best QB prospect in this draft and will have the most successful NFL career of any of this year's draft class.

Gabbert is way overrated and Newton is a phony.

Your man-love for Kaepernick was amusing at first. It's getting to be a little scary now...

vagrantprodigy
04-16-2011, 08:39 AM
Kaepernick has been very quiet for the past month. Haven't heard much about him here, or on general nfl draft sites.

hooshoops
04-16-2011, 08:53 AM
god i hope kaeps not part of the plan...i've heard that denver has a lot of interest in him at the top of round 2...

Breed
04-16-2011, 08:57 AM
I think Mallet is smoke....I think its Kapernick all the way. remember MOBILITY

So long as our QB can evade pressure, I don't care about "mobility." I want a QB that can put points on the board (Mallett).

nyfinzfan
04-16-2011, 10:10 AM
So long as our QB can evade pressure, I don't care about "mobility." I want a QB that can put points on the board (Mallett).

I agree. I just remember the front office muttering something about the need for a mobile QB. Hell I pine for the days of Danny Boy! Stand in the pocket,throw darts, and watch the scoreboard light up like a pinball machine....ahhhhh glory days.

BlueFin
04-16-2011, 12:04 PM
With all the Mallett talk, I forgot about Kaepernick. This got me thinking. I know 15 is too high, but could Miami be paying all this attention to Ryan Mallett to get a team like Seattle to trade their 1st and 2nd to get him. This could allow us maybe to get Kaepernick and a running back such as Ryan Williams. Then in rounds 3 and 4 pick up DJ Williams and Edmund Gates. That would give us some speed on O, then use the rest of draft on Oline depth and some defensive projects. A rookie QB most likely won't start for the Dolphins this year, so if Ireland and company are sold on CK, go get him and let him learn Daboll's system and get some bulk. Always appreciate everyone's opinions.

I'd rather start a Ryan Mallett in 2011 and have him ready for 2012 than waste another season on Henne. But would settle for Kaepernick if Mallett is unattainable.

JC
04-16-2011, 12:13 PM

So you know for a fact that Kaepernick has the inability of putting points on the board when neither have played a single down in the NFL?

Breed
04-16-2011, 12:19 PM
So you know for a fact that Kaepernick has the inability of putting points on the board when neither have played a single down in the NFL?

Nobody, including scouts, knows "for a fact", one way or another. I am, however, far more confident in Mallett as a prospect than Kaepernick. I know Mallett has good awareness in the pocket, can play under center, perform against top competition (SEC), and get rid of the ball get rid of the ball fairly quickly. The same cannot be said of Kaepernick.

spiketex
04-16-2011, 01:33 PM
I would not be surprised if they are looking for a mobile QB. Mallett has superior throwing motion and experience against better defenses, but Kaepernick's mobility is a big plus. He would be a project but it represents a fall back position if Henne doesn't improve. Ponder is probably the safer option but Kaep is a distinct possibility.
They might also go for Tyrod Taylor as a round 4/5 mobile QB option.

jamvinny
04-16-2011, 01:59 PM
I've just seen this from NFL Network that Kaepernick has been invited to attend the NFL draft in NY

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f48afc/article/rising-qb-prospect-kaepernick-receives-invite-to-nfl-draft?module=HP_headlines

ckparrothead
04-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Kaepernick is definitely still a possibility. I don't like him but I think they do.

ckparrothead
04-16-2011, 02:09 PM
If you take Colin Kaepernick, the good news is this is a guy that is as smart as you could hope, is as committed a you could hope, and has as strong an arm as you could hope. He went 13-1 in his senior year. He's got pretty good accuracy. There's a lot to like there.

But the bad news is, coming from the offense he was in, his decision-making and reading of the field is already slow, especially from the pocket. His slower release stacks on top of that, and will make life difficult for him. The margin for error will be small and as Slimm has said if his ball placement isn't perfect then he can get in trouble quickly. I don't know if he's ever going to get beyond the sort of mechanical reads that Chad Henne makes before he throws the ball, and actually do things that challenge a defense. His feet will have to be the way he accomplishes that, and that's dicey...especially for a guy that is more fast than elusive. He strikes me as the kind of guy that, like Henne, you'll see starting...maybe even quickly...and doing OK but never going beyond OK. And in this league when that happens, things are eventually going to turn south on you.

jamvinny
04-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Kaepernick is definitely still a possibility. I don't like him but I think they do.

Yes, they did covet him with enthusiasm at the beginning of this process. Makes you wonder whether the Mallett interest of late is the smokescreen they desire?

ckparrothead
04-16-2011, 02:18 PM
Yes, they did covet him with enthusiasm at the beginning of this process. Makes you wonder whether the Mallett interest of late is the smokescreen they desire?

Could be. Strongly possible. But at the same time, a few weeks earlier they were trying very hard to get the word out that they do not like Ryan Mallett. So I mean if it's a smokescreen, which is the smokescreen? They put signals in both directions. They got him visiting with the team a lot, and then they put out lots of word they don't like him. And we're talking obvious stuff, a local journalist told me it's so bad the guy he spoke with in the Dolphins organization implied that the only reason they worked out Mallett was so that D.J. Williams would have someone to throw to him.

jamvinny
04-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Could be. Strongly possible. But at the same time, a few weeks earlier they were trying very hard to get the word out that they do not like Ryan Mallett. So I mean if it's a smokescreen, which is the smokescreen? They put signals in both directions. They got him visiting with the team a lot, and then they put out lots of word they don't like him. And we're talking obvious stuff, a local journalist told me it's so bad the guy he spoke with in the Dolphins organization implied that the only reason they worked out Mallett was so that D.J. Williams would have someone to throw to him.

They really are puffing on their Monte Cristo cigars at Davie!

X-Pacolypse
04-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Kaepernick may actually be a better pro prospect over Mallett. Mallett carries a lot of baggage.

A blind homer would say that.

newlownorder
04-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Denver, Miami, Washington, Seattle...all teams I've heard like Kaeppy.

Tureo
04-16-2011, 06:40 PM
In reading an interview where Mallett was asked about his rumored drug issues he never denies it. He actually says he's done talking about that. Like ck or someone posted earlier this week, there is something out there but we just don't really know what it is yet.

Zildjianz
04-16-2011, 07:44 PM
Kapernick all the way. I think this guy is going to be an awesome QB in the NFL. I would love to have this guy, but I would take Mallet second. I do NOT want Ponder, I think he will be a bust, same with Newton. I would seriously pass on this them.