PDA

View Full Version : Walter Football Mock Draft (4/14/11)

Nawledge
04-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Round 1/Pick 15 Mike Pouncey, G, Florida

I've had Mark Ingram slotted here for what seems like an eternity. But teams are now apparently scared of Ingram's potentially arthritic knee. This could cause him to slip into the second round.

If the 2011 NFL Draft unfolds like this, the Dolphins would be, as Emmitt would say, stuck between a rock and a hard rock. None of the top players available fill Miami's prominent needs. The closest prospect to doing so is Mike Pouncey.

I believe Miami will trade down for Pouncey. In fact, if there's a team I had to bet on trading its first-round selection (excluding the Patriots, of course), it would be the Dolphins. They have no second-round choice, and they have too many needs to fill.

Other 2011 NFL Draft Possibilities:

1. Mark Ingram, RB - I'll still list Mark Ingram as a possibility, but there are health concerns.

2. Aldon Smith, DE/OLB - Word is that Miami wants to upgrade its pass rush. The Dolphins could make a surprise choice and draft Aldon Smith, and then move Koa Misi inside next to Karlos Dansby.

Round 3/Pick 79 Chris Carter, DE/OLB, Fresno State

As mentioned in the first round, the Dolphins will be looking for some pass-rushing help across from Cameron Wake. This would allow them to move Koa Misi inside.

In a top-heavy but thin pass-rushing draft class, someone like Chris Carter (16 TFL and 10 sacks in 2010) could emerge as a second-round pick. Carter had an outstanding 1.59 10-yard split in his 40-yard dash.

Round 4/Pick 111 D.J. Williams, TE, Arkansas

Anthony Fasano lost his greatest supporter when Bill Parcells left the front office. The Dolphins will be looking for an upgrade at tight end.

Miami likes D.J. Williams, who is a really skilled player; if he were a bit taller, he'd probably be slated for the bottom half of Round 2.

Round 5/Pick 146 Derrick Locke, RB, Kentucky

It sounds as if the Dolphins will be going after DeAngelo Williams in free agency. If that's the case, they'll still look for a running back late in the 2011 NFL Draft.

Round 6/Pick 179 Ronald Johnson, WR, USC

Some competition for Brian Hartline; the Ohio State product has not progressed as the Dolphins have hoped.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2011.php

foozool13
04-16-2011, 11:14 PM
Move Misi Inside??? First time I have ever heard that. Interesting thought. I doubt DJ Williams lasts until the 4th. I see Miami plucking him if hes around with our 3rd rounder.

Roman529
04-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Who drafts a GUARD with the 15th overall pick?? Nobody in this year's draft is the second coming of Steve Hutchinson. I think too many people assume that because Maurkice Pouncey is great with the Steelers, that Mike will be a clone of his brother. He is not as good as Maurkice, but he probably is the best Guard in the draft. The Guard class is very weak this year. Pouncey could probably move over to Center if the Phins take him, but I just think we cannot take Pouncey at #15. If we trade down, then Pouncey would be a decent pick assuming our other needs are off the board (like if there is a run on QB's and RB's).

I like their 4th round pick for us (D.J. Williams) but I think Williams will go in Round Three. Chris Carter in Round Three doesn't give me a stiffy....there are better picks we can make. I do think Ingram will drop down a lot due to injury concerns and also because you can draft very good RB's later on as they are a dime a dozen.

jlfin
04-17-2011, 09:55 AM
'Brian Hartline hasn't progressed as hoped' Is he kidding? The guy has exceeded all expectations and would have had a better year statisticaly if Henne had better accuracy on the deep balls.
Hartline beats coverage fairly consistently, but he and Henne often fail to hook up

Nawledge
04-17-2011, 10:26 AM
i would be happy with DJ Williams but i agree that i dont think he will be there in the 4th round

enJeppesen
04-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Move Misi Inside??? First time I have ever heard that. Interesting thought. I doubt DJ Williams lasts until the 4th. I see Miami plucking him if hes around with our 3rd rounder.

I have yet to find any other analyst/reporter/whatever who seems to think the Dolphins are considering this. I think they are only looking for a pass rush compliment and Misi has shown more than enough to get another year outside.

Also depending on lockout negotiations they are getting a RB earlier and bigger than Locke in the 5th

X-Pacolypse
04-17-2011, 03:09 PM
Well, at least they didn't just lazily pencil in Mark Ingram like most mocks do. That said, you don't take a guard at #15.

Valandui
04-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Honestly, replace Pouncey with Mallett or Ponder and that would be a kick *** draft.

Valandui
04-17-2011, 03:25 PM
Well, at least they didn't just lazily pencil in Mark Ingram like most mocks do. That said, you don't take a guard at #15.
Everyone is doing the same thing with Pouncey now that it looks like Ingram will fall out of the first round.

JC
04-17-2011, 07:15 PM
Everyone is doing the same thing with Pouncey now that it looks like Ingram will fall out of the first round.

Which means we could get one of the top tier running backs in the second if we do choose to move down.

abNORMal
04-18-2011, 09:47 AM
How about if we are able to trade back in the first and pick up a second, then draft Pouncey with our late first and get Ingram with our second...