PDA

View Full Version : Mallett-The Importance of Coaching by our staff if he is selected

bootang25
04-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Arguably one of the most overlooked aspects of Mallett's strengths is his ability to understand pre-snap everything that was going on. Yes he has his struggles at times, but he is further ahead on that curve than any other prospect in the draft. And better numbers and production against better competition week in, week out. You see his recognition of all that went into that Bobby Petrino offense, and he has many of the general nuances of the position down very well also. His hard count was actually very good, and you could tell the practice that he put into it. All that being said to make the point that these things are second nature to him now, and his learning curve for the general basics will not be as steep as they would for any other QB we were to choose.So the time that would normally be spent having to cover the basics with those other prospects should be simply spent doing two things with Mallett:

1. Going over PROTECTIONS, PROTECTIONS, PROTECTIONS. (and Hot Reads)

This should be the number one thing the coaching staff works on with Mallett. Morning, day, and night should be spent making sure he knows the protection schemes better than anyone in the organization. Gruden ripped Mallett good, saying that if the lineman misses a block, it's not the lineman who looks bad, it's the QB and the Head Coach. Good offenses are designed to ensure the QB is not hitting the turf one way or the other. Spend almost all of your time making sure that this guy knows how to give himself the cleanest pocket, and know all the right hot reads and checkdowns. If this guy gets a clean pocket, this guy will put up huge numbers. 9 games over 300 yards this past season, come on. Imagine Marshall licking his chops waiting to get into the real games with this guy throwing the ball.

2. As soon as you can after the draft, you settle in on the 5 guys you really think are the starters at each spot on the offensive line. No more switching it up, we need unit cohesion, and if we are going to have a statue back there, cohesion becomes even more paramount than ever. Pick the 5 guys, and get to work between the offensive line coach and the QB coach, and make sure to get Mallett and these 5 guys on the exact same page. Even the most immobile QB can work magic behind a suspect group up front, and Miami has some good pieces in place on the line already. Just get everyone on the same page, have it where each guy knows who is to what side of him and how to make it work.

If you do these two things immediately after picking Mallett, great things could happen, and could happen quickly with this kid. Everyone wants to rip these kids for their flaws, well isn't that what coaching is for. Shouldn't whoever picks Mallett be immediately spending substantial time each practice working with him on resetting his feet when he moves around in the pocket. There are very few flaws to the guys game, so spend the time that you save because he is already so advanced in other facets of the game teaching him the key things he needs to really reach his ceiling as a QB.

Most young QB's have to have their team find them a stud WR, Mallett will already have one in Marshall, imagine the jump balls and back-shoulder throws between these two. And throw in one of the best slot guys in all of football, imagine the YAC for Bess, who would benefit greatly from catching a ball in stride and keeping his momentum. Find us any reliable speed guy, faster than Brian Hartline fast, with any of the rest of our selections, and our offense will be very tough to defend. Mallett also improves Anthony Fasano a notch as well, though many might disagree. I think Ben Watson type numbers could very easily be had if the guy simply got the ball thrown to him.

If Mallett is picked, they should be looking to add the best speed prospect available at every position on offense with the rest of their picks, IMO, to really open up the entire field, thus opening up the entire playbook. Adding a vertical threat in the passing game and solidifying the offensive line go a long way in creating holes for ANY running back the team were to use, whether that be Mark Ingram or Korey Sheets, ok maybe that's stretching it lol. I personally like the draft Mallett, then pick BPA or best speed prospect, and then look to add Mike Sims-Walker or DeAngelo Williams, depending on how the draft shook out.

rickd13
04-17-2011, 10:41 AM
I am not the biggest advocate of selecting Mallett, because I like Ponder better, but I think you made excellent points in your post. I could live with Mallett, but I have to admit that he scares the hell out of me.

ckparrothead
04-17-2011, 11:13 AM
I think Tony Sparano shares your sentiment on settling on 5 offensive linemen early and getting them all working together as a unit. If you read some of the statements he's made, he seems to realize that he made some mistakes by having everyone rotate too much.

Part of me is scared what would happen if this coaching staff gets hold of Ryan Mallett. Part of me is intrigued. Brian Daboll DID coach in New England where one of Mallett's idols, Tom Brady, succeeded an awful lot. Mallett has studied a lot of tape of Brady, tried to take things from his game.

I waffle on the 3 second buzzer thing. Part of me never wants to see that thing again, ever. Part of me actually wouldn't mind if they brought out the 3 second buzzer, to try and speed up Mallett's tempo a little...because he does need to get up tempo more, and because unlike Henne, accurately reading the field and making aggressive throws is so ingrained in Ryan Mallett's soul that I doubt some tempo work is going to ruin that. May just accentuate it.

I think Ryan Mallett and Brandon Marshall would get along just fine. Marshall seems to respond to stronger personalities like Jay Cutler's. He and Cutler are best buds. I think he would respond well to Mallett's personality, his confidence, and especially his talent. He has the same talent that intrigued Brandon so much about Chad Henne, but he's more confident, more aggressive, has a stronger personality.

ROADRUNNER
04-17-2011, 11:29 AM
Ye im happy if we go for Mallett at #15, then again im fine with Ingram too............

Doctor Phibes
04-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Mallett is not going to have the ideal set up at Miami if we draft him

As far as his immediate development is concerned, the good news is that David Lee isn't here any more. The bad news is that the new QB coach is the old WR coach with little or no specific QB coaching on his CV. A rookie coaching a rookie ? Far from ideal

A year down the line (or whenever Mallett would get the chance to start) it's hard to know what the situation would be with the running game or offensive line but it's probably best for his health that he doesn't have to start in year 1

As far as his receivers go, Bess is the ideal WR for developing a young QB - smart, consistent and level-headed with little ego.

Marshall, on the other hand, is probably the last WR I'd choose for developing a young QB whether it's his advice ("ignore the coverages, just throw me the ball") or his patience ("coach, when are you going to bench that idiot") or his consistency ("that's a little high over the middle, I'm not going up for that")

BlueFin
04-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Yeah I think Brandon would love that cannon sending footballs his way.

finfan54
04-18-2011, 05:44 PM
8 feet high release to marshall and little tips at LOS. Big plus. Henne had lots of balls last year tipped at LOS and downfield. I think Mallet is perfect fit for the "2 step" NE offense. Brady just mixes it up all day and goes short alot and lets his players make the plays. Mallett is not afraid to zip it to back of endzone. One play sticks In my mind as far as Marino comparison; 6 seconds left vs. LSU tie ballgame and announcers say Mallett will just neel.....yeah right. 80yd TD!

datruth55
04-19-2011, 09:09 AM
I think Tony Sparano shares your sentiment on settling on 5 offensive linemen early and getting them all working together as a unit. If you read some of the statements he's made, he seems to realize that he made some mistakes by having everyone rotate too much.

Part of me is scared what would happen if this coaching staff gets hold of Ryan Mallett. Part of me is intrigued. Brian Daboll DID coach in New England where one of Mallett's idols, Tom Brady, succeeded an awful lot. Mallett has studied a lot of tape of Brady, tried to take things from his game.

I waffle on the 3 second buzzer thing. Part of me never wants to see that thing again, ever. Part of me actually wouldn't mind if they brought out the 3 second buzzer, to try and speed up Mallett's tempo a little...because he does need to get up tempo more, and because unlike Henne, accurately reading the field and making aggressive throws is so ingrained in Ryan Mallett's soul that I doubt some tempo work is going to ruin that. May just accentuate it.

I think Ryan Mallett and Brandon Marshall would get along just fine. Marshall seems to respond to stronger personalities like Jay Cutler's. He and Cutler are best buds. I think he would respond well to Mallett's personality, his confidence, and especially his talent. He has the same talent that intrigued Brandon so much about Chad Henne, but he's more confident, more aggressive, has a stronger personality.

All of me is scared IF we take a QB in this draft (we needed a TE last year in a deep TE draft and didn't take one even though every fan was talking about who to take...Ireland decided differently, don't count on a QB just because), no matter who that QB is, that this regime will screw him up and ruin him for good. They certainly haven't done diddly squat for Henne and his development.

And I believe that Belichick is the guy that makes things go in New England. He's the one that game plans on offense and defense, he decides what plays work best for the personnel, he decides the personnel packages...he's got his hand in everything. None of the assistants from his staff have proved to be much more than mediocre once they leave New England. It's been limited success at best from a few...Mangini had a little (very little), Crennel had a little, Wise had a little...McDaniel had like 6 games in his rookie season as a head coach. Daboll did nothing in Cleveland, not that he had a lot to work with but player development was a problem there as it is here.

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-19-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't understand why we WOULDN'T want a QB in this draft. If Henne turns out to not be the guy next season, doesn't that have us behind a season? Because then we would have to draft a QB in 2012 and Henne or some scrub FA QB would have to become a stop gap for that season.
I hope Daboll is pushing Mallett or Ponder as the guy we need to draft. I think he would be a good, young, exciting coach to pair with a young QB.

Has anyone asked McCoy if he enjoyed Daboll as a coach?

datruth55
04-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I don't understand why we WOULDN'T want a QB in this draft. If Henne turns out to not be the guy next season, doesn't that have us behind a season? Because then we would have to draft a QB in 2012 and Henne or some scrub FA QB would have to become a stop gap for that season.
I hope Daboll is pushing Mallett or Ponder as the guy we need to draft. I think he would be a good, young, exciting coach to pair with a young QB.

Has anyone asked McCoy if he enjoyed Daboll as a coach?
The biggest reason why we wouldn't draft a QB is because they take time to develop and time is not on Ireland and Sparano's side. They are in win now mode and if it doesn't get done this year, at least 9 wins maybe even a playoff run, they're gone IMO. The pressure is on and both are on the hot seat.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 11:18 AM
All of me is scared IF we take a QB in this draft (we needed a TE last year in a deep TE draft and didn't take one even though every fan was talking about who to take...Ireland decided differently, don't count on a QB just because), no matter who that QB is, that this regime will screw him up and ruin him for good. They certainly haven't done diddly squat for Henne and his development.

And I believe that Belichick is the guy that makes things go in New England. He's the one that game plans on offense and defense, he decides what plays work best for the personnel, he decides the personnel packages...he's got his hand in everything. None of the assistants from his staff have proved to be much more than mediocre once they leave New England. It's been limited success at best from a few...Mangini had a little (very little), Crennel had a little, Wise had a little...McDaniel had like 6 games in his rookie season as a head coach. Daboll did nothing in Cleveland, not that he had a lot to work with but player development was a problem there as it is here.

I'm not saying Brian Daboll was the brains behind the New England outfit. I'm saying that he LEARNED in New England, he watched how Charlie Weis and Bill Belichick handled Tom Brady, helped him become a star...and to be honest Brady is no more athletic or quick-footed than Ryan Mallett. Maybe Belichick's ways have not been imparted onto his assistants as far as being good Head Coaches, but they seem to be pretty decent assistant coaches/coordinators.

datruth55
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
I'm not saying Brian Daboll was the brains behind the New England outfit. I'm saying that he LEARNED in New England, he watched how Charlie Weis and Bill Belichick handled Tom Brady, helped him become a star...and to be honest Brady is no more athletic or quick-footed than Ryan Mallett. Maybe Belichick's ways have not been imparted onto his assistants as far as being good Head Coaches, but they seem to be pretty decent assistant coaches/coordinators.

Brady not being athletic is an understatement. Heard the other day that there have been something like 574 QBs go through the combine since it's inception in the early 80's and that if you took all the measurables of those QBs Brady would be 574th out of 574 (or however many there have been...he's dead last). But you can't measure the football IQ of a guy and you can't measure his heart and you can determine how quickly he can disect a defense and make a throw on the money. What I'm trying to say is, what works for Tom Brady may not work for any other QB. Coaching isn't so much "cookie cutter" system that works across different organizations. What works in New England maybe didn't work so well in Cleveland with Derek Anderson and Colt McCoy. What was so successful in New England with Charlie Weis didn't turn out as well in Kansas City with Matt Cassel. Personnel has a lot to do with it obviously but the really good coordinators have success even when they don't have all the right players for their system...they find a way to make it work until they can identify players that will fit in their system and draft/develop those players.

If every coordinator and position coach knew how to do that we wouldn't have teams with 2, 3 or 4 wins in a season. It would be a much tougher league. It would be nice if the Dolphins found someone who knew how to do it finally. I think Jim Harbaugh could have been that guy with what he did at Stanford but we let that ship sail.