PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mallett Conceded Drug Use

Aqua and Orange
04-18-2011, 02:22 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/203063/report-at-combine-mallett-conceded-drug-use

According to Pro Football Weekly, Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett confirmed to NFL teams during the Combine that he at least experimented with drugs during his college years.It is Pro Football Weekly, who have had their share of BS reports, but interesting nonetheless.

If it is a thing of his past, could be seen as a sign of truthfulness. Certainly Ireland, with his hooker question ways, would have asked this early...making the 2nd, 3rd and 4th visits with him a sign the Dolphins could look past previous over-inflated indiscretions.

fish_fan
04-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Drug use to an extent was kinda expected. This just confirms he wasn't dumb enough to deny it privately to the teams.

Fintastic2124
04-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Not totally surprised. Still want him.

ROADRUNNER
04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif (http://www.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/3759/funny_cat_pictures_255.gif)

enJeppesen
04-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Drug use to an extent was kinda expected. This just confirms he wasn't dumb enough to deny it privately to the teams.

Exactly..unlike..was it Jimmy Smith who would only admit to 1 of 2 arrests?

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Given that drug use was already assumed, by pretty much everyone everywhere, even the people that pointed out that it's not been confirmed...this is a positive. To be honest about it even though you never failed a drug test, never were caught in possession of drugs by authorities, or caught otherwise with drugs in your system...that shows character. I'm a fan of Cam Newton but compare that kind of honesty with Cam's continued claims that he never knew what his dad was doing with respect to pay-for-play.

Roonnette
04-18-2011, 02:37 PM
I have news for you. There isn't a QB who has not experimented with drugs in this class.

datruth55
04-18-2011, 02:40 PM
I have news for you. There isn't a QB who has not experimented with drugs in this class.

Bold statement. How do you know that?

greasyObnoxious
04-18-2011, 02:41 PM

that's at best speculation, at worst purely made up

j-off-her-doll
04-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Roonnette likes talking out of his neck, but I agree with the sentiment behind the horribly conceived statement.

It's not uncommon or shocking for college kids to experiment with drugs. He never failed a drug test, and it never hurt his play on the field.

Vaark
04-18-2011, 02:46 PM
he at least experimented with drugs during his college years.

Congratulations Ryan - you've officially a member of the hugest post-1965 cross-generational collegiate special interest fraternity that includes presidents, politicians, athletes, performers, captains of Wall Street..... and me. http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/41783_2221010993_1675_n-1.jpg

Spesh
04-18-2011, 02:54 PM
If we was honest and consistent with the teams, this is a plus.

Think it was Peter King that stated in a NFL Films piece about Marino dropping in the draft something to the effect of "Hey, when your the BMOC, your going to try some stuff, have a few beers, it happens". As long as whatever he experimented with is in the past, i have no problem with it.

TedSlimmJr
04-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Given that drug use was already assumed, by pretty much everyone everywhere, even the people that pointed out that it's not been confirmed...this is a positive. To be honest about it even though you never failed a drug test, never were caught in possession of drugs by authorities, or caught otherwise with drugs in your system...that shows character. I'm a fan of Cam Newton but compare that kind of honesty with Cam's continued claims that he never knew what his dad was doing with respect to pay-for-play.

Absolutely. The point for Mallett all along in my opinion was that he had to look teams in the eye and be honest with them about whatever experience he had with drugs. With the main point being that it's something he experimented with, and it's behind him now.

At the very least, it shows that the kid is intelligent enough to realize that being honest was his best option, and that trying to pull the wool over the eyes of people that have the resources at their disposal available to find out more about you than you think is a bad idea... which obviously isn't always the case with a lot of these kids.

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Someone is telling me the Erik Ainge stuff and him going to rehab scares teams off though. Well, I don't understand that logic. I don't go to a rehab and see a druggies whose life has been ruined by drugs and then say, "No way I vote for Obana, way too risky!"

Lord Of Miami
04-18-2011, 03:02 PM

Most College age kids do, when i was that age i'd say 85% to 90% of people did.But not everyone does.

newlownorder
04-18-2011, 03:04 PM
Fact is, most teams don't care if the drug use is of the herb variety, many players experiment in college with drugs. All teams care about is if the player has moved on from it or will get suspensions due to it. Otherwise it's a non-issue.

greasyObnoxious
04-18-2011, 03:05 PM
Fact is, most teams don't care if the drug use is of the herb variety, many players experiment in college with drugs. All teams care about is if the player has moved on from it or will get suspensions due to it. Otherwise it's a non-issue.

hell, Percy Harvin FAILED a drug test at the combine and still was a first-round pick.

justdev7
04-18-2011, 03:06 PM
I wold like to know when he admitted this. Because if it was before his visit with the Vikings then maybe we can trade back and get him. I'm guessing he admitted this fairly early though. That explains so many people projecting him going in the second round to the Titans.

Austin Tatious
04-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I sort of suspected that Ryan was being straight with teams when he refused to discuss it at the Combine PC.

He kept saying he was talking to teams about it. I had a feeling that he was trying to be straight up about it with teams but felt no need to do it publicly. I think he said he was "talking to teams" about it like three times.

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 03:20 PM
There's this ridiculous over-glorification of the quarterback position. To me it's very distasteful. I know what Paul Burmeister would say if I said Percy Harvin failed a drug test at the Combine and went in the 1st round. He'd say but that's Percy Harvin, we're talking about quarterback, the face of your franchise.

You know what, yeah...the job description is different, between what Percy Harvin does and what Ryan Mallett does. But not THAT different. We've had U.S. Presidents that have experimented with drugs in college. Heaven forbid a quarterback did it? Seriously? Being a quarterback in the NFL requires better leadership skills and more stringent character selection than being the leader of the free world? Talk about a bunch of puffed up arrogance from people that want to over-glorify the sport and over-glorify its most important position.

justdev7
04-18-2011, 03:26 PM
There's this ridiculous over-glorification of the quarterback position. To me it's very distasteful. I know what Paul Burmeister would say if I said Percy Harvin failed a drug test at the Combine and went in the 1st round. He'd say but that's Percy Harvin, we're talking about quarterback, the face of your franchise.

You know what, yeah...the job description is different, between what Percy Harvin does and what Ryan Mallett does. But not THAT different. We've had U.S. Presidents that have experimented with drugs in college. Heaven forbid a quarterback did it? Seriously? Being a quarterback in the NFL requires better leadership skills and more stringent character selection than being the leader of the free world? Talk about a bunch of puffed up arrogance from people that want to over-glorify the sport and over-glorify its most important position.

I'm happy if it causes him to slide. I've been against us trying to trade back a few spots because I think someone will trade up and take Mallet but maybe teams have read so far in to this drug thing that they don't have him on their boards. I'm still weary of trading back but I'm considering it now.

JT-forpresident
04-18-2011, 03:29 PM

completely agree with you ...

The best college team in canada, Rouge et Or, won 2 titles in 5 years with a quarterback that was a big, BIG, 420 user... he also was the league MVP twice

I know this reality is far from you guys but I think you make a point CK, and examples are everywhere (hell, even in canada ! )

Leadership grows from a lot of things, but not EVERYTHING. Setting the example, being a good teammate, being smart, good discipline, etc

In the end, if you are a quarterback who's got talent, dedication, and your team's respect, I don't care what you do outside football, because you're gonna win games. and if people still think dedication is being a tim tebow, then hell you need to get real, get laid, and smoke a joint !

Aqua and Orange
04-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't understand the posters that are writing "No duh" to this thread. It is a HUGE admission to come right out and say there was admitted drug use (rotoworld is saying it is without precedent to admit drug use without a criminal record of drugs), and as many of you have pointed out it could be a big positive for Mallett.

I hope the Dolphins are smart enough to see past this and use it to their advantage. This might be just what the Dolphins needed to nab him later than 15.

newlownorder
04-18-2011, 03:30 PM
He will slide if teams feel it's going to be an issue for him in the NFL. Don't think it will be, he's not an idiot.

SamIam
04-18-2011, 03:41 PM

Fantastic Post CK....

rickd13
04-18-2011, 03:58 PM

Wait a minute. Universal Draft did a whole article with David Hyde telling everyone that all of the drug rumors were unsubstantiated , and now he confirms that the rumors were true and that is a good thing? Sure he gets some credit for being honest, but he had to know that the NFL teams knew the truth all along. There was too much "smoke" with all of the rumors, for there not to be at least a little "fire". Now you have to wonder if all of those rumors of him being a terrible leader have any validity.

23EmilioVasquez
04-18-2011, 04:08 PM
i still like him
but I think this makes it more likely we trade down then snag him with a later pick
I think we really need a RB and I can see Ingram slipping to the early part of the 2nd round causing the other RB in the draft to get pushed just a bit back I hope we can get Ryan Williams with someones second round pick

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 04:43 PM
and therein lies the reason ryan mallett is being viewed as a 2nd round pick by the masses...drug use

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 05:05 PM
Wait a minute. Universal Draft did a whole article with David Hyde telling everyone that all of the drug rumors were unsubstantiated , and now he confirms that the rumors were true and that is a good thing? Sure he gets some credit for being honest, but he had to know that the NFL teams knew the truth all along. There was too much "smoke" with all of the rumors, for there not to be at least a little "fire". Now you have to wonder if all of those rumors of him being a terrible leader have any validity.

Obviously reading comprehension is NOT your strong suit...

newlownorder
04-18-2011, 05:08 PM

Zing!

KB21
04-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Here's the issue that teams have to figure out. The fact that he is a quarterback means that he is going to have to spend a lot of his down time watching film and trying to find out everything his opponent is doing and know before hand how his linemen, receivers, and backs are going to react. That is the difference between quarterback and the rest of the team.

Here's the issue at hand. Is Ryan Mallett going to eschew his social life and completely dedicate himself to football? Some may bring up Roethlisberger and say that he has won superbowls and does not totally dedicate himself to football, and you would have a point. I would counter that point with Vince Young, Michael Vick pre 2010, JaMarcus Russell, and Matt Leinart. There are many more failures of quarterbacks who do not put in the time they need to get better while they go out and party all night long.

IMO, this is why Miami is meeting with him so many times. If you are going to invest a pick in one of these guys, you have to get to know them inside and out before you invest a high pick in them to lead your franchise. The fact that he has admitted his drug use is great. It shows honesty and character on his part. What teams have to figure out for sure is whether this is definitely a thing of the past. I don't think many NFL GM's or head coaches want to be called to the hospital because their first round quarterback needs to be admitted because he is in an ivory wave psychosis.

rickd13
04-18-2011, 05:21 PM

Okay, what was I wrong about? Man, you have a thin skin. I even heard on your radio interview in Denver say, the drug rumors were unsubstantiated.

beanh8er
04-18-2011, 05:23 PM
Oh god! You mean he smoked a plant that has never been scientifically proven (by a 3rd party) to have an effect on you? You also mean to tell me that it hasn't effected his on field play in any way? And he never used during the season? He also, rather than lying about drug use, came clean? WHAT A MONSTER!!!!

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Okay, what was I wrong about? Man, you have a thin skin. I even heard on your radio interview in Denver say, the drug rumors were unsubstantiated.
Because they were.

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 05:25 PM
i don't care about a kid who's experimented with pot in college...who hasn't??? i just don't want my supposed to be franchise qb hitting the glass dick on his off days...thats what i want to know...is this in the past and over with or is this kid gonna end up in a sewer somewhere down the line

phintim
04-18-2011, 05:38 PM
Lots of pressure comes with the territory of being a high profile athlete in any sport. With pressure comes steam and chilling/party is one way many handle it. Not endorcing the drugs/alcohol use as it certainly does no help the body but the human mind can overdose at times after doing everthing right but still getting tough results. Sports is not like school where if you study. study and study you won't blow a brian cell you can certainly overtry in sports and get tough results and need some sort of outlet so you can get up the next day beat your brains out and try and do it all over again.

rickd13
04-18-2011, 05:43 PM
Oh god! You mean he smoked a plant that has never been scientifically proven (by a 3rd party) to have an effect on you? You also mean to tell me that it hasn't effected his on field play in any way? And he never used during the season? He also, rather than lying about drug use, came clean? WHAT A MONSTER!!!!

---------- Post added at 05:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

How come you are presuming it was only pot use? The report doesn't say what he admitted to using.

Because they were.

People on here were defending Mallett by saying that the drug rumors were unsubstantiated, and now they are saying that it is a good thing that he admitted that those rumors are true. You can't have it both ways. There are a lot of whispers that this guy has "skeletons" in his closet and now, one of his "skeletons" is exposed, and we're supposed to believe this is good news.

TedSlimmJr
04-18-2011, 05:51 PM
People on here were defending Mallett by saying that the drug rumors were unsubstantiated, and now they are saying that it is a good thing that he admitted that those rumors are true. You can't have it both ways. There are a lot of whispers that this guy has "skeletons" in his closet and now, one of his "skeletons" is exposed, and we're supposed to believe this is good news.

I can't speak for CK, but I've never doubted that Mallett experimented some with drugs, and it most likely happened a little over 2 years ago when he had to sit out a year after transferring from Michigan and he didn't have football to occupy him..

I've never doubted that there was some fire behind the smoke... usually ALWAYS is.

However, what was unsubstantiated was all the ADDICTION rumors... that the guy was strung out on cocaine all the time, or had his head buried in a pile of coke like all the sportswriters tried to claim that were assassinating his character was unsubstantiated..

There are no failed drug tests, there are no drug related arrests, there is no rehab, etc.. In other words, there is nothing to document any drug use. Only whatever he disclosed to NFL teams "on the record" during the interview process..

Mallett could easily deny that he ever touched anything because there is no DOCUMENTED proof that he did, the fact that he didn't showed a lot..

rickd13
04-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Because they were.

How come you are assuming that it was only pot? The article doesn't say what he admitted to.

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
I can't speak for CK, but I've never doubted that Mallett experimented some with drugs, and it most likely happened a little over 2 years ago when he had to sit out a year after transferring from Michigan and he didn't have football to occupy him..

I've never doubted that there was some fire behind the smoke... usually ALWAYS is.

However, what was unsubstantiated was all the ADDICTION rumors... that the guy was strung out on cocaine all the time, or had his head buried in a pile of coke like all the sportswriters tried to claim that were assassinating his character was unsubstantiated..

There are no failed drug tests, there are no arrests, there is no rehab, etc.. In other words, there is nothing to document any drug use. Only whatever he disclosed to NFL teams "on the record" during the interview process..

Mallett could easily deny that he never touched anything because there is no DOCUMENTED proof that he ever did, the fact that he didn't showed a lot..

i'm thinkin that somebody got some pics with their phone or whatever of mallett going michael phelps pulling tubes off a bong at a party or something...something he couldn't deny cause the evidence is plain as day...thus you better come clean

TedSlimmJr
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
i'm thinkin that somebody got some pics with their phone or whatever of mallett going michael phelps pulling tubes off a bong at a party or something...something he couldn't deny cause the evidence is plain as day...thus you better come clean

I doubt that... I don't think NFL teams have seen any pictures of Mallett off someone's cell phone, and I guarantee you no journalists or sportswriters have..

I've seen pictures of Nick Fairley hanging out with Jamarcus Russell, they're from the same area in Mobile that's pretty rough.. now that's cause for concern...

rickd13
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM

There are no failed drug tests, there are no arrests, there is no rehab, etc.. In other words, there is nothing to document any drug use. Only whatever he disclosed to NFL teams "on the record" during the interview process..

Mallett could easily deny that he never touched anything because there is no DOCUMENTED proof that he ever did, the fact that he didn't showed a lot..

I agree with you, but you have to admit that he probably knew that the NFL would get to the bottom of the talk about his drug use, so he would have looked even worse if he would have lied about it. I guess what we will never know, is just how extensive Mallett's drug use was or is, but it sure makes you wonder, because the rumors didn't lead you to believe Mallett was just "dabbling" in drugs.

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 06:07 PM
I doubt that... I don't think NFL teams have seen any pictures of Mallett off someone's cell phone, and I guarantee you no journalists or sportswriters have..

I've seen pictures of Nick Fairley hanging out with Jamarcus Russell, they're from the same area in Mobile that's pretty rough.. now that's cause for concern...

i don't know slimm...i guarantee that there's plenty of nfl draft prospects right now who smoked a little pot in a private setting in college or even at a party who told nfl teams they've never touched the stuff and nfl teams didn't uncover anything different...there must have been something evidence wise for this kid to come clean...something he couldn't avoid...i mean i can't see this kid as mother teresa

TedSlimmJr
04-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I agree with you, but you have to admit that he probably knew that the NFL would get to the bottom of the talk about his drug use, so he would have looked even worse if he would have lied about it. I guess what we will never know, is just how extensive Mallett's drug use was or is, but it sure makes you wonder, because the rumors didn't lead you to believe Mallett was just "dabbling" in drugs.

That's the point... I'd be more worried about a kid that was dumb enough to look teams in the eye and deny it. He's smart enough to understand that they were going to find out what the truth was anyway, documented or not..

You can't say that about Cam Newton... who has yet to admit to any of the lying, cheating, scamming and everything else that IS actually documented... He just keeps playing dumb and seems to think that'll get him by in the NFL too..

Good luck with that Carolina... I'd probably want my #1 overall pick of a quarterback to at least be able to call a play in the huddle..

TedSlimmJr
04-18-2011, 06:14 PM
i don't know slimm...i guarantee that there's plenty of nfl draft prospects right now who smoked a little pot in a private setting in college or even at a party who told nfl teams they've never touched the stuff and nfl teams didn't uncover anything different...there must have been something evidence wise for this kid to come clean...something he couldn't avoid...i mean i can't see this kid as mother teresa

There's quite a bit of room between mother theresa and a strung out cocaine addict... and every quarterback in the NFL fits in that category..

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 06:16 PM
That's the point... I'd be more worried about a kid that was dumb enough to look teams in the eye and deny it. He's smart enough to understand that they were going to find out what the truth was anyway, documented or not..

You can't say that about Cam Newton... who has yet to admit to any of the lying, cheating, scamming and everything else that IS actually documented... He just keeps playing dumb and seems to think that'll get him by in the NFL too..

Good luck with that Carolina... I'd probably want my #1 overall pick of a quarterback to at least be able to call a play in the huddle..

it sure doesn't seem to be effecting his draft stock...if this kid cannot come clean and get away with it why does ryan mallett have to come clean??? has to be some real evidence he can't avoid

thats my read anyways...but like i said small potatoes 2 years ago doesn't matter to me one bit...if thats what all the hype is about its way overblown

Myles Fynch
04-18-2011, 06:19 PM

I'm hoping he lasts till Buffalo, personally.

TedSlimmJr
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM
it sure doesn't seem to be effecting his draft stock...if this kid cannot come clean and get away with it why does ryan mallett have to come clean??? has to be some real evidence he can't avoid

Cam Newton hasn't gotten away with anything yet. Even if he is the #1 overall pick that doesn't mean he got away with anything, get back with me in 5 years...

Cam has never had to be accountable for anything, and that's the difference. NFL teams have been known to make a mistake or two...

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Cam Newton hasn't gotten away with anything yet. Even if he is the #1 overall pick that doesn't mean he got away with anything, get back with me in 5 years...

Cam has never had to be accountable for anything, and that's the difference. NFL teams have been known to make a mistake or two...

in 5 years who cares...thats like reggie bush years later...yeah he lost the heisman but he still kept his mega millions pro contract and teams still want him on their roster despite that dark cloud hanging over him from the day he was drafted pretty much

if in years cam gets the same treatment i doubt he'll even care...he'll have a $50 million contract that he was able to pull out of the whole thing...

beanh8er
04-18-2011, 06:27 PM
How come you are assuming that it was only pot? The article doesn't say what he admitted to.
Doesn't say otherwise. And since most if not all people smoke pot before moving on to other drugs it's safe to assume he smoked weed.

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm hoping he lasts till Buffalo, personally.

not me...he may not be able to call an nfl play in the huddle right now but this kid oozes physical talents...if he figures the rest of it out watch out...skies the limit

keep him as far away from my division as possible

TedSlimmJr
04-18-2011, 06:31 PM
in 5 years who cares...thats like reggie bush years later...yeah he lost the heisman but he still kept his mega millions pro contract and teams still want him on their roster despite that dark cloud hanging over him from the day he was drafted pretty much

if in years cam gets the same treatment i doubt he'll even care...he'll have a $50 million contract that he was able to pull out of the whole thing...

The team that wasted that $50 million dollars on him is going to care hoops...

Him and Cecil have been scamming and cheating people for years, I have little doubt they can pull it off one more time...

KB21
04-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Cough....Vince Young....Cough.

Myles Fynch
04-18-2011, 06:43 PM
not me...he may not be able to call an nfl play in the huddle right now but this kid oozes physical talents...if he figures the rest of it out watch out...skies the limit

keep him as far away from my division as possible

They'd find a way to use him, yes. I just am betting against the person, not the player.

Guess that makes me a dick.

:lol:

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
They'd find a way to use him, yes. I just am betting against the person, not the player.

Guess that makes me a dick.

:lol:

you're a dick but that has nothing to do with it...:lol:

Spesh
04-18-2011, 07:09 PM

No one has posted "he tried drugs, AWESOME! Me next!". What we have been saying is its great he was honest about it. The man never failed a drug test, never was caught strung out by his coaches, and never was arrested. The fact that he admits to it when he really doesn't have to speaks volumes.

Ryan Mallett declared at the combine(and before/after the combine) that this was a subject he would handle with teams. Not reporters. And hey, look at that, he was honest with teams while still not saying anything to reporters. He did exactly what he said he would. The fact that people want to browbeat him over this is unbelievable. Just because he confirmed, in private, exactly what he said he would confirm in private is not an excuse to start believing that EVERY whisper was true.

And for the record, this is all unsubstantiated still. How many "totally awesome and completely true" stories have we heard recently from "sources" and reporters.

Markeyh
04-18-2011, 07:11 PM
You Mallett lovers are so BLIND that even his admission of using cocaine is not some red flag?

I have some Moon property for sale for any one of you...I'll even toss in a free space suit!

X-Pacolypse
04-18-2011, 07:12 PM
You Mallett lovers are so BLIND that even his admission of using cocaine is not some red flag?

I have some Moon property for any one of you...

Stick to your own thread, useless troll.

Markeyh
04-18-2011, 07:21 PM
I honestly don't get your anger and rudeness......over me not endorsing a CRACK HEAD as the FACE of My favorite team....and out of all the places I would think you DON'T want a Crack Head is in Miami..........And NE is hoping so bad that Miami is serious about Mallett....they have even invited him in for a look to bait Jeff. I sure hope Jeff is doing what I think he is, using Mallett as bait for a future trade or to throw teams off....

beanh8er
04-18-2011, 07:38 PM
I honestly don't get your anger and rudeness......over me not endorsing a CRACK HEAD as the FACE of My favorite team....and out of all the places I would think you DON'T want a Crack Head is in Miami..........And NE is hoping so bad that Miami is serious about Mallett....they have even invited him in for a look to bait Jeff. I sure hope Jeff is doing what I think he is, using Mallett as bait for a future trade or to throw teams off....
Crack =/= Cocaine. Crack was made in Chicago. And it doesn't state what drug he used 2 years ago.

Markeyh
04-18-2011, 07:44 PM
Let me sell you a clue...never mind I will give you this one free...

"Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett admitted to NFL teams at the Scouting Combine that he had at least experimented with recreational drugs during his college years"

If it was just pot they would say it.....

The rumors did include cocaine.....

beanh8er
04-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Let me sell you a clue...never mind I will give you this one free...

"Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett admitted to NFL teams at the Scouting Combine that he had at least experimented with recreational drugs during his college years"

If it was just pot they would say it.....

The rumors did include cocaine.....
Crack isn't cocaine. Who cares if used recreational drugs 2 years ago. It's never effected him on the football field. Nothing else needs to be said.

JC
04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Rehab is for quitters

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 09:18 PM

They were unsubstantiated. And still are. What you have is a guy told a guy that another guy told that first guy that...that sound like proof to you?

Your bad reading comprehension was your inability to read the fact that we said multiple times that we can't comment on the drugs issue because we don't know, that the NFL teams MAY know but we don't and were not able to find any confirmation. That better? Most people could get that on first reading, guess it takes others a few tries...

Markeyh
04-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Crack isn't cocaine. Who cares if used recreational drugs 2 years ago. It's never effected him on the football field. Nothing else needs to be said.

"Crack isn't cocaine."

Maybe the kind you smoke.....;)

beanh8er
04-18-2011, 09:45 PM
"Crack isn't cocaine."

Maybe the kind you smoke.....;)

:bobdole: Crack is made from cocaine but they're not the same thing. Crack is a rock and Coke is a powder.

rickd13
04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
They were unsubstantiated. And still are. What you have is a guy told a guy that another guy told that first guy that...that sound like proof to you?

Your bad reading comprehension was your inability to read the fact that we said multiple times that we can't comment on the drugs issue because we don't know, that the NFL teams MAY know but we don't and were not able to find any confirmation. That better? Most people could get that on first reading, guess it takes others a few tries...

Yea, I'm too stupid to understand your highly "intellectual" diatribe about Ryan Mallett's off field issues. Please. I'm just trying to point out that if at least part of these rumors have been confirmed by Mallett himself, than who knows how much of what we have been hearing might be true? I realize your piece about Mallett stated that you could not find any concrete evidence of drug use, but I also got the impression from your report and your radio interview that this lack of evidence was a reason to dismiss all of the negative things we have been hearing about him. I just don't view this revelation as a positive sign like you do. Why do find it necessary to keep insulting me? Just because we have a difference of opinion about how serious his admitted drug use might turn out to be? I'm still not totally against drafting Mallett. I don't know how extensive his drug use might have been, but the rumors swirling around him did not give you the impression he was just experimenting with drugs. The rumors were intense, and insinuated that he was an addict. If that proves to be false, than I don't have a problem drafting the guy just because he dabbled with drugs at some point in his life. I actually would have greater concerns about his athleticism in the pocket.

finfan54
04-18-2011, 10:46 PM
this is dan marino all over again...minny fans really want mallett from what i read. love this! this only makes things better for us as long as we did our homework.

Aqua and Orange
04-18-2011, 10:53 PM
Wow, Mallett is easily the most polarizing player in this whole draft. He could go 8 to the Titans...or last until the second round.

Personally I think teams are only getting more and more interested. An NFL Network report claimed the Skins are heavily considering him at 10 now. If the Phins are serious about him, their favorite trade partner in Dallas picks one spot earlier than Washington.

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Yea, I'm too stupid to understand your highly "intellectual" diatribe about Ryan Mallett's off field issues. Please. I'm just trying to point out that if at least part of these rumors have been confirmed by Mallett himself, than who knows how much of what we have been hearing might be true? I realize your piece about Mallett stated that you could not find any concrete evidence of drug use, but I also got the impression from your report and your radio interview that this lack of evidence was a reason to dismiss all of the negative things we have been hearing about him. I just don't view this revelation as a positive sign like you do. Why do find it necessary to keep insulting me? Just because we have a difference of opinion about how serious his admitted drug use might turn out to be? I'm still not totally against drafting Mallett. I don't know how extensive his drug use might have been, but the rumors swirling around him did not give you the impression he was just experimenting with drugs. The rumors were intense, and insinuated that he was an addict. If that proves to be false, than I don't have a problem drafting the guy just because he dabbled with drugs at some point in his life. I actually would have greater concerns about his athleticism in the pocket.

Because your unprovoked taunting and misrepresentation about our article was uncalled for. We made ourselves very, very plain. We can't comment on drugs, and we refuse to say he did or did not, because we're not privy to any evidence. Peter King did the same. And in fact, in the interview you're talking about, it was Cecil Lammey that said that there's no evidence that he's used drugs and he seemed to overall dismiss it as a possibility, and I did not fully agree with him. Once again I pointed out that the teams have found out what they've found out. Why did I say that? Well, I won't say, but let's just say that by this Sunday I had strong indications of my own (prior to hearing about Nawrocki's report) that teams feel certain that they have drugs on Ryan Mallett one way or another. That's what makes your accusations so baseless and comical. You're accusing me of insisting on Cecil's radio show that Ryan Mallett never did drugs when in fact I finally had confirmation that he had.

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 11:22 PM

Which is funny as I don't know if you remember but a guy came on here and started a thread one day and said that the guy who drove his cab said that he was the father of a kid that got died young by gun shot but was best buds with Nick Fairley and Jamarcus Russell, that the cabbie still talks to them both and that Jamarcus is convinced that the Dolphins are going to sign him in the off season and give him a shot next year.

rickd13
04-18-2011, 11:55 PM
Because your unprovoked taunting and misrepresentation about our article was uncalled for. We made ourselves very, very plain. We can't comment on drugs, and we refuse to say he did or did not, because we're not privy to any evidence. Peter King did the same. And in fact, in the interview you're talking about, it was Cecil Lammey that said that there's no evidence that he's used drugs and he seemed to overall dismiss it as a possibility, and I did not fully agree with him. Once again I pointed out that the teams have found out what they've found out. Why did I say that? Well, I won't say, but let's just say that by this Sunday I had strong indications of my own (prior to hearing about Nawrocki's report) that teams feel certain that they have drugs on Ryan Mallett one way or another. That's what makes your accusations so baseless and comical. You're accusing me of insisting on Cecil's radio show that Ryan Mallett never did drugs when in fact I finally had confirmation that he had.

Maybe we just are misunderstanding each other. My issue is that Mallett's admission to drug use could be a bigger deal than you might believe it is. Again, I have no idea how serious or trivial the extent of his drug use may have been, (it sounds like you know a lot more than I could possibly know, but maybe not as much as the brass for the NFL teams do) so I was just trying to say, "Wait a minute, this could be a big issue." I never wanted to get into a pissing match with you. I actually admire the work that you do, and have great respect for your opinions. I do searches for your posts just to read what you have to say. I have a great friend (Raider fan and draft fanatic like us) that I recommend your Universal Draft videos on you tube to, because I respect what you do so much. So, can we just hug it out and call a truce. I really don't want to have any bitter feelings toward you.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Maybe we just are misunderstanding each other. My issue is that Mallett's admission to drug use could be a bigger deal than you might believe it is. Again, I have no idea how serious or trivial the extent of his drug use may have been, (it sounds like you know a lot more than I could possibly know, but maybe not as much as the brass for the NFL teams do) so I was just trying to say, "Wait a minute, this could be a big issue." I never wanted to get into a pissing match with you. I actually admire the work that you do, and have great respect for your opinions. I do searches for your posts just to read what you have to say. I have a great friend (Raider fan and draft fanatic like us) that I recommend your Universal Draft videos on you tube to, because I respect what you do so much. So, can we just hug it out and call a truce. I really don't want to have any bitter feelings toward you.

Well then my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Markeyh
04-23-2011, 12:24 PM
:bobdole: Crack is made from cocaine but they're not the same thing. Crack is a rock and Coke is a powder.

Now let me get this straight, Crack COCAINE is not COCAINE? That's like saying Ice is not water....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine

In the United States cocaine is a Schedule II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schedule_II_(US)) drug under the Controlled Substances Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Substances_Act) since it has high abuse potential but also carries a medicinal purpose.[24] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine#cite_note-DEA-23)[25] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine#cite_note-24) Under the DEA listing of schedule I substances, crack is not considered separate from cocaine since they are essentially the same drug compound in different forms.

Yessir
04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
Who cares. Marino was banging seven gram rocks while at Pitt. Give me Mallet at 15.

Roonnette
04-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Hangin with Snoop, who could resist a stogie?!

beanh8er
04-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Now let me get this straight, Crack COCAINE is not COCAINE? That's like saying Ice is not water....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine

In the United States cocaine is a Schedule II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schedule_II_(US)) drug under the Controlled Substances Act (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controlled_Substances_Act) since it has high abuse potential but also carries a medicinal purpose.[24] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine#cite_note-DEA-23)[25] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine#cite_note-24) Under the DEA listing of schedule I substances, crack is not considered separate from cocaine since they are essentially the same drug compound in different forms.
...different forms with different additives. Not the same exact thing.

twix2500
04-24-2011, 12:53 AM
Crack and Cocaine are just different forms like Markeyh said. Crack was created because it was easier to distribute and sale than in the cocaine form. Both Crack and Cocaine can be laced with other additives, but its just the form that makes the difference. All it is taking Cocaine and putting it in a bigger package so the dealer can get more out of smaller amounts of cocaine. The difference between a cocaine consumer and a crack consumer, is cocaine consumers have more money to purchase in the cocaine form and are snorters, and crack consumers can not afford cocaine and prefers to smoke it. If you use crack or cocaine, your the same addict. Both have to be taking seriously, you can not use the exceptions (functional drug addicts) as your example to go by. Just because George Bush, Dan Marino and Lawrence Taylor were functional addicts, it doesnt mean the next man will be, its most likly he will not be functional. To make the case for Coke, in Lawrence Taylor case, it was more of a enhancement of his football abilities. Probably more so than steroids.

finsfanjay13
04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Holy crap. I can't believe this. Ryan Mallett experimented with drugs? I'm shocked. Utterly freaking shocked. I surely hope the Dolphins don't draft a QB with questions surrounding drugs. We *all* know how that turned out last time!