PDA

View Full Version : To Trade Down or not to Trade down? That is the question.

RHoffman
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
Ok, so I am not Shakespeare.
Regardless, I hope you enjoy the read...http://bleacherreport.com/articles/669460-2011-nfl-draft-to-trade-down-or-not-to-trade-down-thats-miamis-question

Roonnette
04-18-2011, 05:32 PM
If Mallett is gone, then yes. Trade down and continue building the D, try to find a couple of gamebreakers on O maybe at WR and TE late.

finfan54
04-18-2011, 05:35 PM
NO and Atlanta just scheduled looksies at DE Jordan. Hmmmmmm. One would think they would have to move up to get him. hmmmmmm.

thejetssuck
04-18-2011, 05:36 PM
If Mallett is gone, yes, trade down!!! Hopefully pick up Ponder and Yates.

RHoffman
04-18-2011, 05:38 PM
The problem is that trading down isn't that easy or necessarily warranted. Please read and let me know your thoughts.

RHoffman
04-18-2011, 05:43 PM
I've talked to a few people in the business and they agree...Christian Ponder is not an NFL starting quarterback. Yates is an interesting late round pick.

SCOTTY
04-18-2011, 05:46 PM
I've talked to a few people in the business and they agree...Christian Ponder is not an NFL starting quarterback. Yates is an interesting late round pick.

I don't think it takes someone in the biz to know Ponder is not a QB you put your franchise on the back of! I don't really know any late round QB that are interesting. That seems to contradict itself. I don't know why people would want to trade down then select 2nd rate QBs. Just doesn't make sense to me. A trade down is the best option for the Fins but then we must select OLine, RB WR, and TE!

RHoffman
04-18-2011, 05:49 PM
Scotty, enough people here seem to like Ponder so that has to be debunked. There is always a late round gem to be found. I seem to remember this sixth round guy by the name of Brady. He turned out pretty good.
I didn't believe that the Dolphins would consider taking a qb because of the win now mandate, but I am coming around to the idea that they may take one because the value isn't elsewhere.

JFoxx
04-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Every year we pretty much hear the endless call for trading down and getting a mint of picks to do so. However, most teams don't like to do that anymore and the best you usually can hope for is a team wanting to trade up a couple of spots to jump another team that probably will select their player. Most of these moves are done on draft day and aren't talked a lot by teams until right before it happens for fear of tipping off other teams. Personally, if it were up to me and there was any truth of Washington wanting to trade out of their pick, I'd be all for trading up to them if Gabbert is still available. But that's just me.

SCOTTY
04-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Scotty, enough people here seem to like Ponder so that has to be debunked. There is always a late round gem to be found. I seem to remember this sixth round guy by the name of Brady. He turned out pretty good.
I didn't believe that the Dolphins would consider taking a qb because of the win now mandate, but I am coming around to the idea that they may take one because the value isn't elsewhere.

The amount of people on here that think Ponder is a good idea in the 1st round baffles me. Even with that, there are many on here and elsewhere that do NOT like Ponder and are not "in the biz". So all I'm saying is even though you can find those "crazies" (and that's just my opinion) who want to use our #15 on this guy, I will find you someone Not in the biz but smart enough to know he is not a franchise QB. Now, seriously, I'm tired of the Brady was drafted in the 6th round arguement. One in a million-NOT-there is always a late round gem. It is no basis for drafting some schmo QB late and thinking he is going to be the next Brady. I'm not against taking a QB. What I am against is taking one for the sake of taking one. All I see on here is how elite QBs come in the 1st round, so what are posters doing: They are taking 2nd and 3rd round QB and moving them into the 1st round as if that will make them better. Enough, please people. Stop trying to make a franchise QB out of a never will be!

allsilverdreams
04-18-2011, 07:27 PM
ponder in no way is a top QB maybe a 4th rounder at best

RHoffman
04-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Ponder will get drafted higher than the fourth round, but I openly wonder why.

Vaark
04-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Ponder gives off those Brees like vibes and may not make it through the first round from what I'm reading. I'd not be adverse to drafting him on a trade down late in the round or early in the second. However, I think it's plausible that we may end up trading forward a few notches (if the lack of a 2nd or this year's 3rd isn't required) to actually secure Mallett before being leapfrogged over through by another team's trade-up.