PDA

View Full Version : Mallett in Play for #10 to Washington

JBinSD
04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/18/report-ryan-mallett-in-play-for-redskins-at-no-10-overall/

Apparently he is picking up steam as a top 20 pick for sure.

Locke
04-18-2011, 06:53 PM
I think this is a smoke screen. Florio is right, Mallet is the complete opposite of the prototypical Shanahan QB...

BlueFin
04-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Its widely known Washington wants to trade down, they are looking for a trade partner.

It may even be Miami they are trying to bait.

JBinSD
04-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I could see this as a "trade up to get him" smokescreen, since the Skins want to move down...

JBinSD
04-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Its widely known Washington wants to trade down, they are looking for a trade partner.

Beat me to it, I just posted that.

SCOTTY
04-18-2011, 07:00 PM

I hope Ireland isn't that stupid!

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
yeah this trade up stuff with washington smells like bs...everything i've heard up until this week pretty much was that the skins at the combine even were letting anyone know who would listen that the #10 pick was for sale and that they were trying to trade down to acquire more picks...

sounds like the skins are trying to drum up interest in the next top rated qb who may be on the board when they pick...trying to get someone to come up and get him with their pick

not buying it...and mallett in no way fits a shanny qb

AZStryker
04-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Honestly, I'm more worried about Minnesota taking Mallett.

X-Pacolypse
04-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Not buying this. Nice try, Shanny.

thejetssuck
04-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Honestly, I'm more worried about Minnesota taking Mallett.

Same here. Hell, I am even worried about Tennessee taking him.

Roonnette
04-18-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't see Vikes drafting Mallett with their protection schemes.

Titans and Washington are in on Mallett.

AZStryker
04-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Same here. Hell, I am even worried about Tennessee taking him.

Agreed! If he makes it past Tennessee then I wouldn't mind it if we trade up with Dallas or Washington.

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 07:18 PM
the more i've looked the more i think i would sit at #15 if malletts the target and let him come to us...tennessee is the wildcard...minnesota i don't think so

SCOTTY
04-18-2011, 07:19 PM
Agreed! If he makes it past Tennessee then I wouldn't mind it if we trade up with Dallas or Washington.

Trade up??? And give up what?? I don't get it. Help me out here. Gabbert and Newton are going to be the 1st two QBs taken. I'm sorry I thought this was a WEAK QB class. But everyone on here wants us to take Mallett, Ponder or Locker??? Has this gone from a weak class to that which will rival '83. I'm putting my $$$ on NOT. Every QB after Gabbert and Newton is not worth a 1st rounder. Just because you draft someone in the 1st round does NOT make them worth a 1st rounder. And in turn does not make them the answer to our QB issue!!!!

beanh8er
04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Trade up??? And give up what?? I don't get it. Help me out here. Gabbert and Newton are going to be the 1st two QBs taken. I'm sorry I thought this was a WEAK QB class. But everyone on here wants us to take Mallett, Ponder or Locker??? Has this gone from a weak class to that which will rival '83. I'm putting my $$$ on NOT. Every QB after Gabbert and Newton is not worth a 1st rounder. Just because you draft someone in the 1st round does NOT make them worth a 1st rounder. And in turn does not make them the answer to our QB issue!!!!
Gabbert isn't worth a first round pick either. Mallett is the best passer in the draft. End of discussion. He is worthy of being a first rounder.

AZStryker
04-18-2011, 07:45 PM

We'd probably have to give up our 3rd and probably a future pick. All I'm saying is if we're convinced he's our guy, go get him like the Jets did with Sanchez. Leave nothing to chance.

RHoffman
04-18-2011, 08:00 PM
A lot of people are assuming that Dan Snyder isn't involved in this process. He can't help himself.

JBinSD
04-18-2011, 08:02 PM
A lot of people are assuming that Dan Snyder isn't involved in this process. He can't help himself.

That's true, but in this case -- I doubt he tries to jam a square peg in a round hole with Shanahan running the show. It would be a blatant slap in the face, because he really doesn't fit what he's EVER done on offense.

If they are absolutely sold on him, I don't care how they get him. It will be interesting to see how all these cards fall.

BlueFin
04-18-2011, 08:11 PM

Thats just it, you thought. And actually yes, they are speculating this draft could break 1983's record for QB's in round 1.

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 08:25 PM
It would be QUITE the shock to see Shanahan go with Mallett. But, playing devil's advocate for a moment here...

1) Mallett considers the Petrino offense he played in to be very compatible with the WCO as it was a very horizontally oriented offense

2) The thing he can do that would intrigue Shanahan, if that is in fact true (big IF, I agree with y'all), would be bootleg out (which he did multiple times a game) and throw BIG on the run. Very aggressive, very accurate. I saw something like 9 or 10 bootleg pass attempts in the five games I watched, and he was near flawless on the accuracy excepting one play where he booted out, a linebacker was chasing him, and he just held the ball a beat too long and was being hit as he threw. What he does on these bootlegs is not just find that short option that it seems like so many elementary QBs do, but he finds that deep option and can throw to the guy. Check out my Ryan Mallett under pressure video and at the end of it is when you see him on these rollouts, and some of those throws are dang impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBQVNQXrSYE&feature=player_embedded

Roonnette
04-18-2011, 08:27 PM
2) The thing he can do that would intrigue Shanahan, if that is in fact true (big IF, I agree with y'all), would be bootleg out (which he did multiple times a game) and throw BIG on the run. Very aggressive, very accurate.

Exactly, I think he fits Skins scheme well. I think Ponder is more likely candidate for the Vikes. I also think Mallett would be a perfect fit for us as well, with two excellent tackles, physical Oline and Marshall.

BlueFin
04-18-2011, 08:27 PM
It would be QUITE the shock to see Shanahan go with Mallett. But, playing devil's advocate for a moment here...

1) Mallett considers the Petrino offense he played in to be very compatible with the WCO as it was a very horizontally oriented offense

2) The thing he can do that would intrigue Shanahan, if that is in fact true (big IF, I agree with y'all), would be bootleg out (which he did multiple times a game) and throw BIG on the run. Very aggressive, very accurate. I saw something like 9 or 10 bootleg pass attempts in the five games I watched, and he was near flawless on the accuracy excepting one play where he booted out, a linebacker was chasing him, and he just held the ball a beat too long and was being hit as he threw. What he does on these bootlegs is not just find that short option that it seems like so many elementary QBs do, but he finds that deep option and can throw to the guy. Check out my Ryan Mallett under pressure video and at the end of it is when you see him on these rollouts, and some of those throws are dang impressive.

Your a good advocate, damn now we will have to trade up with Dallas to get Mallett. Which I am ok with.

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 08:38 PM
nah...sit at #15 and wait...

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I agree with hoops. Let the universe unfold on this one. If it was meant to be, it was meant to be.

Elliott 1
04-18-2011, 09:03 PM
BS,BS,BS. The Skins don't want," The Incredible Lardass." It's a smokescreen like almost everything else in the NFL news these days.

BlueFin
04-18-2011, 09:11 PM
I agree with hoops. Let the universe unfold on this one. If it was meant to be, it was meant to be.

I hear you, but I've always believed that if you truly have a conviction on a QB, you go get him.

We've wasted so many years and draft picks failing to accomplish this, I just don't see any point in missing on someone you feel strongly about.

The odds are probably whatever you have to give up to move up the 5 spots, it will not put this team over the top and will very possibly bust.

The franchise playmaking quarterback makes this team legitmate for the next 10-15 years.

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 09:12 PM
I think the more important note is Lombardi saying after talking to a bunch of people around the league he's convinced Mallett goes top 20. Burmeister brought up character issues and Lombardi replied that Bobby Petrino is going hard to bat for Ryan and that's carrying weight among the teams. Burmeister should recognize that response. It's exactly what I said to him Friday.

Roonnette
04-18-2011, 09:20 PM
When will you air?

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Producer ain't told me yet unfortunately. The pre-taped piece that aired today was the one with Steve Wyche that Burmeister conducted immediately before the interview he did with me. If it goes in order, then I would think tomorrow. But who knows? They may decide to scrap it for some reason.

TedSlimmJr
04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Sit tight at #15 and let him fall to you...

I don't have nearly the conviction on Ryan Mallett that I had on Matt Ryan to be a franchise quarterback... the impeccable intangibles Matt Ryan had clearly seperates him and puts him in a little different category. If Mallett was as squeaky clean as Matt Ryan he'd be the #1 overall pick...

However, I do think he's the best quarterback prospect in this draft.

With the draft expected to shake out the way it's most likely going to, it just doesn't make good sense for a team like Miami to pass up a quarterback like this with the 15th pick in the draft.

If these other skiddish, red-flagged, football illiterate quarterbacks can go in the top 10, the most NFL ready and best pure passer can come off the board at #15 without much of a hitch in my opinion..

BlueFin
04-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I think the more important note is Lombardi saying after talking to a bunch of people around the league he's convinced Mallett goes top 20. Burmeister brought up character issues and Lombardi replied that Bobby Petrino is going hard to bat for Ryan and that's carrying weight among the teams. Burmeister should recognize that response. It's exactly what I said to him Friday.

Yeah, I think we all can recognize Miami's interest by the number of visits he's had in Miami and surmise he won't be around past 15.

I don't see this as a surprise, I've have been feeling for a while now that his stock is rising and that he might go at 9, 10, or 12 ahead of our pick.

9 or 10 mostly due to Dallas and Washington being willing to trade down and somebody jumping ahead of us to get him.

He is the next prospect after Newton and Gabbert at QB and that would make their picks the right spot for this.

It will be interesting, I just hate the thought of settling for a RB or OL prospect as this will not put this team over the top.

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 09:39 PM
wait a minute...paul burmeister as in the host on nfl network??? i understand he may have some inside scoop being who he's around every day but from a actual player evaluation stance what weight does his opinion carry???

finfan54
04-18-2011, 09:53 PM
in another segment of "lets just throw a curveball in here and see what might happen" where they have us taking redskins pick at 10....yeah right.

Just stay at 15, and Mallett will be there for sure. Trade down and just get a pick and Mallett will still be there. Casserly is right, dont reach, but if you drop down, it looks alot better and less risky even though it still is. But I think the upside is much much higher than anyone thinks. This guy is not ryan leaf. He loves being coached up and will do what it takes.

hooshoops
04-18-2011, 10:09 PM
like i said before the latest i would drop and feel like i have a good shot at mallett would be pick #20 and tampa...after that your in trump territory...

you got to have balls though to have everyone in the world KNOW you got to have a qb and trade down 5 slots to acquire a 3rd round pick and still get him given how many teams need qb help around the league

brass balls

HurriPhin
04-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Dear Ireland, Ross & Sparano,

Anyone but Mallet and Pouncey (regardless of round).

Sincerely,
Hurriphin

Roonnette
04-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Brass Balls is taking a QB in first round.

finfan54
04-18-2011, 10:58 PM
Add tennesee to the list of mallett maybe's

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d81f53926/article/arkansas-mallett-meets-titans-who-have-big-need-for-qb?module=HP_headlines

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 11:09 PM
wait a minute...paul burmeister as in the host on nfl network??? i understand he may have some inside scoop being who he's around every day but from a actual player evaluation stance what weight does his opinion carry???

He seemed to think his opinion carried lots of weight, during our interview. Or at least, he hid behind all of the evidently dozens of general managers whose phone numbers he clearly has on speed dial and whom all tell him the whole truth and nothing but the truth about what they think of these players.

PhinsTD
04-18-2011, 11:10 PM
It's smokescreen time. Every team that needs a QB is going to float the idea of possibly taking him to look to drum up interest for their pick or to steer teams off what they truly intend to do.

After what they went through with VY, I'd think the next guy they take highly will be squeaky clean.

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 11:11 PM
At some point you have to draw a line as far as what you think has a good chance of happening and also what might be giving up too much, etc. For me that means just staying put at #15 and seeing if Mallett gets there. If he doesn't, then you go into scramble mode.

PhinsTD
04-18-2011, 11:14 PM
At some point you have to draw a line as far as what you think has a good chance of happening and also what might be giving up too much, etc. For me that means just staying put at #15 and seeing if Mallett gets there. If he doesn't, then you go into scramble mode.

I'm sure they have contingency plans and will have some offers out there. If none are good enough, they have to decide if they like Ponder enough to go for at 15, or take Pouncey, Carimi, Castonzo instead. Or perhaps a pass rusher.

Should be interesting.

Roonnette
04-18-2011, 11:16 PM
There are no acceptable contingencies after passing on franchise QB.

Dogbone34
04-18-2011, 11:19 PM
hang tough, don't get cute

take mallet when he falls to us at #15

go home and come back in the 3rd

PhinsTD
04-18-2011, 11:19 PM

The contingency is if Mallett is gone at 15.

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 11:26 PM
You get all kinds of stories about how different guys approach it. Supposedly Andy Reid always falls in love with a certain player and either trades up to get him or if that doesn't materialize and he misses out on the player, he trades back. Bill Belichick supposedly approaches each pick like he's automatically going to trade it...and if that trade doesn't materialize he just turns in the name.

I'm not willing to take my chances trading backward, but I'm willing to stay put at #15 and see what happens.

Incidentally I really don't think there will be a lot of trading this year. I've seen some insider reports to that effect.

KB21
04-18-2011, 11:41 PM

If he doesn't get to the pick, you don't pass on him. You also can't trade when you don't have the ammunition to do so. I'm not against taking a quarterback in this draft, but I am against selling the entire draft to get one. I got news for you. As good as I think Ryan Mallett can be in the NFL, if he has no running game, he is going to struggle initially. The reason Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have had such early success is the fact that they have had strong running games. In Miami, we have no running game. If you trade a 3rd, a 4th, and a 5th to move up 5-6 spots in the first round to take a QB, you are going to have a very hard time building a running game with a 6th round pick and three 7th round picks.

KB21
04-18-2011, 11:55 PM
What will be interesting to follow is this? Is Miami to the point with Chad Henne that they would take Christian Ponder at 15 if Ryan Mallett isn't on the board? I can't say I would be against it, but part of me would rather they simply get a lineman if Mallett is gone and go forward with Henne at least for the next year. And I'm a guy that really likes Christian Ponder.

The gasp idea though, and quite frankly, it makes me quite nauseated to think about it is that Miami would actually reach for Colin Kaepernick this high. The fact that he got invited to the draft scares the **** out of me, because I know Miami likes him for some reason.

Roonnette
04-19-2011, 12:09 AM
I'd rather take Leonard Hankerson than Ponder.

miami9954
04-19-2011, 12:46 AM
Totally agree with CK on this one,I just don't see teams trading away their picks as freeley as in years past.

SCOTTY
04-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Thats just it, you thought. And actually yes, they are speculating this draft could break 1983's record for QB's in round 1.

Bluefin please, the reason there were so many QBs in the 1st round in '83 was due to the talent. If more QBs are drafted this year that would be due to the lack of CBA and not the talent. That fact can not be disputed. I'll check back with all of you in, how many years do you want 5?, and I'll put $$ on it. No more than 2 QBs out of this class will be starters in the NFL.

HurriPhin
04-19-2011, 01:23 AM
Bluefin please, the reason there were so many QBs in the 1st round in '83 was due to the talent. If more QBs are drafted this year that would be due to the lack of CBA and not the talent. That fact can not be disputed. I'll check back with all of you in, how many years do you want 5?, and I'll put $$ on it. No more than 2 QBs out of this class will be starters in the NFL.

And that's going out on a limb.

JerryD
04-19-2011, 01:50 AM
We don't have the ammunition to trade up, almost positive of that.

IF they like Mallet #15, they're almost forced to take him to keep their job security.

If Mallet's gone ... they'll probably try to trade down, get more ammunition to maneuver a bit & get their 2nd choice QB later on. (You just can't blow a great pick for another QB you don't rate so high!)

If everyone goes gaga taking all the QBs before 15 ... there's going to be a lot of studs on the board to draft or get a trade ... and WE HAVE ALOT OF HOLES TO FILL!!

Yeah, we want a QB & the FO wants one more ... its their job & arse on the griddle ... but you have to be smart & use your ammunition wisely TOO!! Picking fools will be worse ... we'll get busts & have nothing to show, like many of our other drafts!!

We all want a QB ... but if I had to CHOOSE BETWEEN .... a Good Draft or a dicey QB ... I'll take the Good Draft any day!!

Buff
04-19-2011, 05:12 AM
Trading up to take the 3rd or 4th QB in the 1st round in the draft is stupid. Trading up to take the 1st QB isnt stupid, regardless of who it is & what what the fans want, because each GM/Coach will have different views to the next on what QB is No 1.

We are not in a position to trade up. With no 2nd round pick, and at this point with the non CBA I dont think we can offer future picks, so to give up a 3rd, 4th etc is suicide. we need every pick available, and then some.

If Mallett is gone - and I have the Bungals trading up to take Gabbert, Mallett going to the 49ers, Newton to the Titans, Ponder to the Vikes, the skins will take Jones IMO, that leave the chargers trading up with us to take Aldon Smith, and we grab there 2nd 2nd rounder & taking either ingram or Castonzo with our 1st. I can also see the Giants trading up for to our spot for Ingram ...

finfan54
04-19-2011, 06:29 AM
There is no impact player in this draft at any other position that would want us to take them at 15 IMO unless maybe Julio Jones and we dont really need a WR like that, but would make an impact. pouncey is nice but there is a G or two later we could get who would be nice IMO...we need a second rounder.

OrlandoFin
04-19-2011, 06:43 AM

CK great stuff as always, what I see is when he gets pressured he throws off his back foot most of the time. His arm is strong enough he can get away with that in college, but in the pros he will be a pick 6 machine. The roll out throws were impressive, but most of the throws on this clip were not. I am not a Mallett fan and never have been. He has a cannon of an arm there is no doubt, but he has horrible footwork and is a statue back there. I just don't se any way how he fits with Miami.

TrinidadDolfan
04-19-2011, 08:18 AM
Your a good advocate, damn now we will have to trade up with Dallas to get Mallett. Which I am ok with.

This makes me wish that Parcells was still here.

We could have traded Parcells back to Dallas to jump up a few spots, or maybe a bag of chips

Kdawg954
04-19-2011, 08:38 AM

None of them are franchise QB's . . . they could all bust out of the league in 3 years. This team has too many needs on offense to sell the farm for a guy who obviously isn't the cleanest QB prospect out there. If he slides to them at 15, by all means take him and be done, but explore the trade offers also . . . and if there are any questionable feelings about Mallet, trade down . . . if he is your guy, take him. If he gets snatched up before you pick . . . oh well, this pre draft process lasts like 3 months, they better have another plan in place or that just isn't very smart.

j-off-her-doll
04-19-2011, 08:50 AM
None of them are franchise QB's . . . they could all bust out of the league in 3 years. This team has too many needs on offense to sell the farm for a guy who obviously isn't the cleanest QB prospect out there. If he slides to them at 15, by all means take him and be done, but explore the trade offers also . . . and if there are any questionable feelings about Mallet, trade down . . . if he is your guy, take him. If he gets snatched up before you pick . . . oh well, this pre draft process lasts like 3 months, they better have another plan in place or that just isn't very smart.

The plan in place would/should have one of two names:

1. Christian Ponder (lot to like - lot to be weary of)
2. Better luck next year

Aqua and Orange
04-19-2011, 10:27 AM
This makes me wish that Parcells was still here.

We could have traded Parcells back to Dallas to jump up a few spots, or maybe a bag of chips

Our connection with Dallas is not gone with Parcells. Ireland and Sparano are both from Dallas too, remember. If anything, having the jerk off of our team might actually help our standing with them.

I would not be opposed to a trade up if Mallett was their guy.

BlueFin
04-19-2011, 10:40 AM
If he doesn't get to the pick, you don't pass on him. You also can't trade when you don't have the ammunition to do so. I'm not against taking a quarterback in this draft, but I am against selling the entire draft to get one. I got news for you. As good as I think Ryan Mallett can be in the NFL, if he has no running game, he is going to struggle initially. The reason Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco have had such early success is the fact that they have had strong running games. In Miami, we have no running game. If you trade a 3rd, a 4th, and a 5th to move up 5-6 spots in the first round to take a QB, you are going to have a very hard time building a running game with a 6th round pick and three 7th round picks.

So we get the QB this year, build the running game next off-season when Mallett would be more seasoned, and be ready to rock and roll come 2012.

It just seems to me this franchise has been in one year mode for far too long, and all it's produced is disapointment after dispointment, we haven't really contended for anything. Trading away future picks for lesser picks now....etc etc etc

I would strongly endorse a gameplan of getting the franchise QB, and building the rest around him in the next year or so, and just maybe this will be a relevent franchise come 2012-2020.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
CK great stuff as always, what I see is when he gets pressured he throws off his back foot most of the time. His arm is strong enough he can get away with that in college, but in the pros he will be a pick 6 machine. The roll out throws were impressive, but most of the throws on this clip were not. I am not a Mallett fan and never have been. He has a cannon of an arm there is no doubt, but he has horrible footwork and is a statue back there. I just don't se any way how he fits with Miami.

No quarterback has "most of his throws" being impressive with pressure in his face. This is a pressure video. I think you're suffering a little loss of perspective. Some of the best QBs in the league have about 60.0 QB ratings when they have to deal with pressure. He didn't throw most of those throws off his back foot, it was about half and half (I've dissected this video six ways to Sunday). And Dan Marino once said that if he were evaluating a quarterback he would ask the guy to throw 100 balls off his back foot in practice, because in the NFL you'll need to do that a lot as the pocket breaks down. Throwing off the back foot is one of those catch 22's. Coaches don't like to see a player do it unnecessarily because it can lead to bad throws, but at the same time, they love when they see a guy like Mallett who can throw it off his back foot and still get the ball where it needs to be...because they KNOW that no matter how much they preach to a quarterback not to throw it off his back foot, he's going to NEED to do exactly that. As Dan Marino says, it's a fact of life in the NFL, and he'd want to make sure his quarterback can do it because he felt like he did it all the time (he did).

When people say that Mallett has horrible footwork I'm not sure I understand what they mean. I don't know how you can look at his footwork and say it's horrible when he's doing it just how you coach it. His drops are relatively precise, he doesn't overstep his throws (especially 2010, after his foot injury in late 2009), he gets over his front leg...his footwork is actually pretty polished. Does he have room for improvements in stride length and keeping his feet a little more active especially on rollouts and sprint-outs? Sure. But when people say "horrible footwork" I just feel like that's way off the mark and I wonder what a coach would say to it.

BlueFin
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Thats easy to say now, but no one was sure of these guys back then, Marino was so questionable he slid all the way to 27....I remember it clearly.

The only one everyone was locked down on was Elway.

But no one had any idea it would be as good as it was at the time.

As it is, out of the 6 from 83', blackledge was a bust, Eason did very little, O'Brien had a decent career.

So you had 3 hall of famers, one pretty good quarterback and two busts.

but no one knows how good this QB class might look down the road, just as no one knew in 1983.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 12:30 PM
He seemed to think his opinion carried lots of weight, during our interview. Or at least, he hid behind all of the evidently dozens of general managers whose phone numbers he clearly has on speed dial and whom all tell him the whole truth and nothing but the truth about what they think of these players.

so burmeister who comes across on air as a very likeable guy pretty much tried to go alpha dog on you during your interview??? that's ****ing hilarious

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
so burmeister who comes across on air as a very likeable guy pretty much tried to go alpha dog on you during your interview??? that's ****ing hilarious

Yup. It was all but an ambush, since I had zero warning that it would even be a debate type of interview. But if you really pay attention, he's been chomping at the bit on Ryan Mallett for a while. He just doesn't often get an opportunity to say anything. Like yesterday when Lombardi got into his report on Washington and Mallett going top 20, when he finally got a chance to ask Lombardi a question, it was a semi-aggressive question saying considering all the GMs and scouts that have such serious concerns about Ryan Mallett, can Bobby Petrino's word really carry that much weight and make a dent in that?

In other words, he is somehow convinced that he has word from 32 of 32 general managers, that they've told him the truth, and they hate Ryan Mallett. And he tried to make that abundantly clear during our interview. I don't even know how many times he interrupted me during the interview and went on with some point he thought he was making that would shoot holes in my arguments. And in the end, he still lost on points. Though, I don't know how it'll look on editing. They could and probably will edit out my best retorts.

I had a great one, after Burmeister dropped some news that wasn't really out there, see if he could rattle me a little bit, I was talking about the teams' motivations for lying and he said something to the effect of yes but we're talking about private off the record conversations with people you trust, why do they have the motivation to lie in that situation. I replied because it's funny how those 'off the record' conversations suddenly become 'on the record' on programs like this one. That'll get edited out. :)

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Yup. It was all but an ambush, since I had zero warning that it would even be a debate type of interview. But if you really pay attention, he's been chomping at the bit on Ryan Mallett for a while. He just doesn't often get an opportunity to say anything. Like yesterday when Lombardi got into his report on Washington and Mallett going top 20, when he finally got a chance to ask Lombardi a question, it was a semi-aggressive question saying considering all the GMs and scouts that have such serious concerns about Ryan Mallett, can Bobby Petrino's word really carry that much weight and make a dent in that?

In other words, he is somehow convinced that he has word from 32 of 32 general managers, that they've told him the truth, and they hate Ryan Mallett. And he tried to make that abundantly clear during our interview. I don't even know how many times he interrupted me during the interview and went on with some point he thought he was making that would shoot holes in my arguments. And in the end, he still lost on points. Though, I don't know how it'll look on editing. They could and probably will edit out my best retorts.

I had a great one, after Burmeister dropped some news that wasn't really out there, see if he could rattle me a little bit, I was talking about the teams' motivations for lying and he said something to the effect of yes but we're talking about private off the record conversations with people you trust, why do they have the motivation to lie in that situation. I replied because it's funny how those 'off the record' conversations suddenly become 'on the record' on programs like this one. That'll get edited out. :)

ha ha...i think that is gonna make you a one and done path to the draft guest

after you had sent me what you sent me in pm and i connected the dots on just who burmeister was i was watchin path to the draft late last night on my dvr and i did notice that just like you said when lombardi was waxing poetic about mallett in the top 20 burmeister couldn't wait to get in his little snippet on character concerns with gms around the league...

too funny

rrrrphin
04-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Good comeback....maybe good enough that they'd actually keep it in the interview.

Aqua and Orange
04-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Good comeback....maybe good enough that they'd actually keep it in the interview.

That would be awesome. -Wait, it's on the NFL Network. Something tells me that won't roll on a network owned by a conglomerate nicknamed "The No-Fun League".

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 12:57 PM
ha ha...i think that is gonna make you a one and done path to the draft guest

after you had sent me what you sent me in pm and i connected the dots on just who burmeister was i was watchin path to the draft late last night on my dvr and i did notice that just like you said when lombardi was waxing poetic about mallett in the top 20 burmeister couldn't wait to get in his little snippet on character concerns with gms around the league...

too funny

Perhaps. The producer loved it. He told me afterward it was Paul Burmeister who took a bad approach, not the approach he wanted him to take (and so you can imagine what kind of notice I had on what direction it was going to go, since the producer wanted it to go the more normal way and he was the guy that was in contact with me the weeks leading up to it), but that my answers were very direct and very effective and that I should be very pleased with my performance. If being a little too good and/or aggressive in my retorts at times when a guy pulls his claws out on me, makes me one and done on Path to the Draft...so be it. I wasn't expecting more than that anyway. But it did ensure that I'm not one and done on the Miami Dolphins' radio show with Jesse Agler, Keith Sims, Troy Drayton, etc. I did that show a few weeks back and the integrated media producer who arranged it happened to be the guy doing the technical support for my satellite interview with the NFL Network, and after I got done with it, he asked me to be on their live NFL Draft coverage during the draft.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Perhaps. The producer loved it. He told me afterward it was Paul Burmeister who took a bad approach, not the approach he wanted him to take (and so you can imagine what kind of notice I had on what direction it was going to go, since the producer wanted it to go the more normal way and he was the guy that was in contact with me the weeks leading up to it), but that my answers were very direct and very effective and that I should be very pleased with my performance. If being a little too good at debate at times when a guy pulls his claws out on me, makes me one and done on Path to the Draft...so be it. I wasn't expecting more than that anyway. But it did ensure that I'm not one and done on the Miami Dolphins' radio show with Jesse Agler, Keith Sims, Troy Drayton, etc. I did that show a few weeks back and the integrated media producer who arranged it happened to be the guy doing the technical support for my satellite interview with the NFL Network, and after I got done with it, he asked me to be on their live NFL Draft coverage during the draft.

nice...

OrlandoFin
04-19-2011, 01:07 PM
No quarterback has "most of his throws" being impressive with pressure in his face. This is a pressure video. I think you're suffering a little loss of perspective. Some of the best QBs in the league have about 60.0 QB ratings when they have to deal with pressure. He didn't throw most of those throws off his back foot, it was about half and half (I've dissected this video six ways to Sunday). And Dan Marino once said that if he were evaluating a quarterback he would ask the guy to throw 100 balls off his back foot in practice, because in the NFL you'll need to do that a lot as the pocket breaks down. Throwing off the back foot is one of those catch 22's. Coaches don't like to see a player do it unnecessarily because it can lead to bad throws, but at the same time, they love when they see a guy like Mallett who can throw it off his back foot and still get the ball where it needs to be...because they KNOW that no matter how much they preach to a quarterback not to throw it off his back foot, he's going to NEED to do exactly that. As Dan Marino says, it's a fact of life in the NFL, and he'd want to make sure his quarterback can do it because he felt like he did it all the time (he did).

When people say that Mallett has horrible footwork I'm not sure I understand what they mean. I don't know how you can look at his footwork and say it's horrible when he's doing it just how you coach it. His drops are relatively precise, he doesn't overstep his throws (especially 2010, after his foot injury in late 2009), he gets over his front leg...his footwork is actually pretty polished. Does he have room for improvements in stride length and keeping his feet a little more active especially on rollouts and sprint-outs? Sure. But when people say "horrible footwork" I just feel like that's way off the mark and I wonder what a coach would say to it.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I saw most of his throws in that clip from his back foot and bailing on many. As far as his horrible footwork he takes long strides which get him off balance. Yes I understand he is 6'7" and his strides are going to look long, but his are and looks off balance often. The only thing I see good from Mallett is a cannon of an arm, but it takes more than that to be a successful QB in the NFL and I just don't see it from him.

phintim
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM
You get all kinds of stories about how different guys approach it. Supposedly Andy Reid always falls in love with a certain player and either trades up to get him or if that doesn't materialize and he misses out on the player, he trades back. Bill Belichick supposedly approaches each pick like he's automatically going to trade it...and if that trade doesn't materialize he just turns in the name.

I'm not willing to take my chances trading backward, but I'm willing to stay put at #15 and see what happens.

Incidentally I really don't think there will be a lot of trading this year. I've seen some insider reports to that effect.

Do you consider the Bill Belichick way of supposedly approaching each pick like he's automatically going to trade it the best way to play the draft in the long run. The Pats have accumulated a number of picks this way over the years.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM
I really don't think they'll keep it. That one was a little too sharp I think. I mean Burmeister sort of stepped into it. He gets done revealing what these GMs have told him about Ryan Mallett, then suggests they were private. 'off the record' conversations and therefore there's no way they would lie. I mean, come on...what was I supposed to do?

It was actually just revenge because early in the interrogation before I really realized where he was going with all this, we're debating on how truthful NFL teams are when they "reveal" what they think about these prospects and I'm trying to make the case for independent studies like ours, and so I point out that first off you don't even know what the consensus is because you've got reports that conflict with one another, you have guys telling Peter King and Len Pasquarelli that they have no problems with Ryan Mallett's character. So he thinks he's got me, interrupts me and says but you just got done saying they all lie so how can you use those reports to cast doubt on the other reports, to which I had to say I'm not using them to cast doubt on just the other reports, I'm using them to cast doubt on the whole pile of reports, as they're conflicting and sourced from people with muddy motivations. He thought he scored a sharp one there, and some people would say he did, especially since he interrupted me and generally wouldn't let me finish my thoughts, but I thought I had a good answer to it.

So my sharp reply was really just revenge for his sharp one earlier.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
nice...

I doubt it'll be more than another call-in but still, he's a guy that witnessed the whole exchange and for whatever reason decided hey we should have him back on again.

DAFINZ
04-19-2011, 01:18 PM
I doubt it'll be more than another call-in but still, he's a guy that witnessed the whole exchange and for whatever reason decided hey we should have him back on again.
I'm sorry if you have mentioned this somewhere else CK, but when is this interviewing airing?

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 01:18 PM

they're gonna look to you to tie a bow on the whole thing after we **** the bed on day 1 with our top pick...:lol:

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Do you consider the Bill Belichick way of supposedly approaching each pick like he's automatically going to trade it the best way to play the draft in the long run. The Pats have accumulated a number of picks this way over the years.

Everything looks easy for Bill Belichick because he has a franchise quarterback. Because he knows they will always compete, he can trade present picks for future better picks. If I had a quarterback, I would do that literally every time the opportunity arose, because that's how you amass the embarrassment of riches that the Patriots have in their draft picks every year....and that's how you can keep up with the amount of reloading you have to constantly go through in the NFL.

The very idea that a present 2nd is worth a future 1st, is flawed. It's based on our understanding of money, which has present and future values derived from investments and interest rates. This simply isn't the case in the NFL with draft picks. It's just a bunch of guys that are convinced that their jobs are jeopardy and so they're giving away value, for free, out of desperation and fear. If I were an owner, fans would hate me because I would be the kind of owner that absolutely would insist on having the final say on CERTAIN calls. One of those would involve trading present picks for future picks. I would mandate that we NEVER give away a future 1st or 2nd for a present 2nd or 3rd, respectively. Ever. Wouldn't happen with me as an owner. And I'd also mandate that they seek out those trades on the other end of it, being the team that gives away a present 2nd or 3rd for a future 1st or 2nd, respectively. And if they found one, more times than not I would pull the trigger and I don't care how fearful the coach or GM are over their jobs and therefore they want to give up value out of fear and desperation.

And as such, I would develop a reputation for being a Danny Snyder, or some such.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm sorry if you have mentioned this somewhere else CK, but when is this interviewing airing?

Still no word. Producer mentioned that he was going to try and set a date today. Not meaning it'll air today, meaning that by the end of the day he should be able to let me know when it'll air.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 01:22 PM
they're gonna look to you to tie a bow on the whole thing after we **** the bed on day 1 with our top pick...:lol:

I doubt it, they know I'm in the tank for Mallett and a quarterback. If they don't take Mallett or Ponder you're probably going to hear some criticism from me.

DAFINZ
04-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Still no word. Producer mentioned that he was going to try and set a date today. Not meaning it'll air today, meaning that by the end of the day he should be able to let me know when it'll air.
Oh ok. Do let us know when you find out! :)

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 01:26 PM
I really don't think they'll keep it. That one was a little too sharp I think. I mean Burmeister sort of stepped into it. He gets done revealing what these GMs have told him about Ryan Mallett, then suggests they were private. 'off the record' conversations and therefore there's no way they would lie. I mean, come on...what was I supposed to do?

It was actually just revenge because early in the interrogation before I really realized where he was going with all this, we're debating on how truthful NFL teams are when they "reveal" what they think about these prospects and I'm trying to make the case for independent studies like ours, and so I point out that first off you don't even know what the consensus is because you've got reports that conflict with one another, you have guys telling Peter King and Len Pasquarelli that they have no problems with Ryan Mallett's character. So he thinks he's got me, interrupts me and says but you just got done saying they all lie so how can you use those reports to cast doubt on the other reports, to which I had to say I'm not using them to cast doubt on just the other reports, I'm using them to cast doubt on the whole pile of reports, as they're conflicting and sourced from people with muddy motivations. He thought he scored a sharp one there, and some people would say he did, especially since he interrupted me and generally wouldn't let me finish my thoughts, but I thought I had a good answer to it.

So my sharp reply was really just revenge for his sharp one earlier.

The truth is, by this point in the evaluation process... everyone's evaluations and opinions are muddied and cluttered with agendas, smokescreens, and misinformation. That includes any and every draftnik, talking head, journalist, sportswriter, and even actual NFL front offices.

The bottom line is turn on the film, and try to figure out which guys translate.

Anyone that thinks any of these quarterbacks translate better to the NFL than Ryan Mallett is either pushing an agenda, hasn't studied the quarterbacks or watched them play... or simply just doesn't know what the hell they're looking at.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 01:27 PM
I doubt it, they know I'm in the tank for Mallett and a quarterback. If they don't take Mallett or Ponder you're probably going to hear some criticism from me.

well thats good to hear...if you think its warranted let them have it...i would

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 01:41 PM
The truth is, by this point in the evaluation process... everyone's evaluations and opinions are muddied and cluttered with agendas, smokescreens, and misinformation. That includes any and every draftnik, talking head, journalist, sportswriter, and even actual NFL front offices.

The bottom line is turn on the film, and try to figure out which guys translate.

Anyone that thinks any of these quarterbacks translate better to the NFL than Ryan Mallett is either pushing an agenda, hasn't studied the quarterbacks or watched them play... or simply just doesn't know what the hell they're looking at.

I was very disappointed that we didn't even go into the on field portions of the piece. That was HALF the damn piece, more than half, and it was the half that I wrote. Simon took the lead on the character stuff, incorporating some words and paragraphs that I had written to him, but mostly him. The character stuff was damn good, maybe the best part of the whole article, but I still don't like that the entire interview focused on that alone. He didn't want to talk about the on field stuff because he completely agreed, he and Mayock take it for granted that Mallett is a top 10 or at worst 15 type talent when you just look at on field stuff, and he said that during the interview.

But that shows you what his mindset was in this interview. He didn't cover a portion that spanned 60% of the article, simply because he didn't disagree with it.