footsteps_falco
04-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Cam Newton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luL-e09nPUM&feature=relmfu

Jake Locker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWqU3VXIJY4&playnext=1&list=PLC7FE4BFAB771089A

Blaine Gabbert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8UKhWhTj58

If anyone can find more clips or the full videos please post a link. also if you can find mallett on with Gruden that would be cool

Roonnette
04-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Newton was unwatchable in the film room. But who cares!? You simplify the offense for this athletic freak and let him run it, he will make winning plays.

enJeppesen
04-18-2011, 10:30 PM
Newton was unwatchable in the film room. But who cares!? You simplify the offense for this athletic freak and let him run it, he will make winning plays.

You suggesting a 1 read - dive offense wont be completely dismantled by an NFL defense? :)

Roonnette
04-18-2011, 10:34 PM
You suggesting a 1 read - dive offense wont be completely dismantled by an NFL defense? :)

Yes, it is amazing that this dude dominated college football last year, he made correct reads, correct checkdowns, correct runs, all with just simple plays. it's unbelievable.

I am starting to think that all this complex stuff is for those who don't got the talent.

enJeppesen
04-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Yes, it is amazing that this dude dominated college football last year, he made correct reads, correct checkdowns, correct runs, all with just simple plays. it's unbelievable.

I am starting to think that all this complex stuff is for those who don't got the talent.

And Im starting to think you're crazy

ckparrothead
04-18-2011, 11:31 PM
I just caught like the last 10 minutes of Gruden's show with Andy Dalton.

HOLY SH-T was it me, or was Gruden like damn close to falling down drunk?

Did you see him going off on like a 3 minute diatribe about how he hates cats? At first he's talking about blitzing corners which they call cats but then no he's really talking about cats, and he keeps talking about cats, and just keeps on going. All his mannerisms, everything pointed to him being on something. No wonder he's pals with John Daly.

Incidentally I find it telling that in the short amount of exposure I've seen to Andy Dalton's segment, I've seen Gruden put on multiple plays of Dalton's where Andy truly screwed up...but in Mallett's segment they put up three plays and only on one of them was Ryan Mallett the guy that screwed up.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 11:37 AM

Jamarcus Russell and Vince Young agree with you... Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan don't..

Playing quarterback at the NFL level (or even in college systems that prepare a quarterback for the NFL) is all about schemes, understanding coverages and progressions, and knowing what you're doing. You MUST be able to adjust protections and orchestrate an offense... YOU have to be the guy that gets the other 10 players on the same page by something as simple as understanding the playcall that just came from the offensive coordinator through the head set.

There's basically 3 levels of progressions for a college quarterback, and depending on the system, you should be advanced to various degrees dependent upon starting experience..

1. Strict Progression - Which is a "1-read", or 1-2-3-throw it away-take off and run progression. Quarterbacks rarely ever have time to get to their 3rd or 4th progression (unless you're Andrew Luck playing behind Stanford's offensive line).

2. Progression with Coverage Keys - Which is basically the same as #1 except you're doing it based on what the defense is showing, and you're leveraging techniques played by the DB's. (Identifying zone or man concepts) You're recognizing blitzes, adjusting protections, and recognizing shell coverages...

3. Coverage Reads - This is when a quarterback knows where he's going with the football without even looking in the direction of his receiver first. He'll look to his left (which appears like he's checking to see if his receiver is covered) and throw back the other direction without even looking that way first. The quarterback already knew the receiver he threw to was going to be open without even looking at him based on leveraging technique by the DB, and knowing what the defense was doing.

College quarterbacks rarely ever get to level 3... that's NFL quarterbacking 101 right there. But a 1st round pick at quarterback should at least be at level 2...

A quarterback should be able to come to the sidelines after a mistake and explain what he saw, and why he threw the ball to who he threw it to.

Ryan Mallet is at level 2.5... Cam Newton is still at level 1....