PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Colin Kaepernick Dolphins top QB, not Mallett

Nublar7
04-19-2011, 10:16 AM
http://twitter.com/#!/KohneysKorner/status/60334781430366208

#Dolphins News: Continue to hear the Colin Kaepernick is the #1 QB on Jeff Ireland's board..take it for what it's worth..Smokescreen????

greasyObnoxious
04-19-2011, 10:18 AM
i'll cry if he is

datruth55
04-19-2011, 10:19 AM
They've visited with both 4 times I think. I'm sure Ireland is thinking trade down in the first and who would be available with the pick in the 2nd round. Quantity over quality in Ireland's mind.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM
I don't think anyone would be surprised... after Pat White, you can't put anything past 'em....

Namor
04-19-2011, 10:21 AM
And the beat goes on........and it's still a bad tune.

Nublar7
04-19-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't think anyone would be surprised... after Pat White, you can't put anything past 'em....

Kaepernick is not Pat White.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 10:30 AM

He's not the #1 quarterback in this draft either... he's a helluva lot closer to Pat White's profile than you think.

4 year starters, baseball background, "dual" threat, gimmick system, padded stats against bad defenses, looked "outstanding" at the Senior Bowl, etc., etc...

datruth55
04-19-2011, 10:30 AM

No, he's much bigger.

BlueFin
04-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I agree with Slimm, and I like Kaepernick and would not be upset if we got him, I certainly think he has much more potential than Pat White.. But the most NFL ready and the best arm in this draft belongs to Ryan Mallett.

I'm thinking smokescreen, but who knows?

NorthFLPhin
04-19-2011, 10:38 AM
No, he's much bigger.

And his name is different.

newlownorder
04-19-2011, 10:39 AM
There were rumors that Sparano had a man crush on him at the Senior Bowl. I believe that he's high on Kappy, #1 overall? Doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if he was ranked 3rd or 4th on their draft board. I personally still have Mallett and Ponder rated higher, but I would take him over Dalton.

ChambersWI
04-19-2011, 10:39 AM
He's not the #1 quarterback in this draft either... he's a helluva lot closer to Pat White's profile than you think.

4 year starters, baseball background, "dual" threat, gimmick system, padded stats against bad defenses, looked "outstanding" at the Senior Bowl, etc., etc...

I think there are more tools to work with in Kaepernick than there was White. Now Kaepernick is by no means a sure fire guy, but I think between his height, the fact he's used to being a passer as well as a runner (he is still pretty raw and has a bad release as a passer and he did run, but he has always been more comfortable passing the ball than White ever was).

I'd probably rate in terms of who I'd like the Fins to get at QB as this.

1.Ponder
2.Mallett
3.Kaepernick
4.Locker

Nublar7
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM

He is not the #1 QB in the draft, I agree with you there. Ireland probably has Newton and Gabbert as #1 and #2, but perhaps this is figuring common sense that there is no way they drop to #15. My guess is, if this rumor is true, that he has Kaepernick as the #3 QB ahead of Mallett, but #1 on his board of attainable players. That would not be surprising to me at all because Mallett is no sure fire pick and has plenty of question marks and red flags.

Just because Kaepernick has a similar background, doesn't mean he will translate to the NFL the same. One major difference you fail to mention is that White was 6-0, 190 pounds, while Kaepernick is 6-5, 233 pounds. Part of the reason White failed was because he was just to small.

When I think of Kaepernick, I think more of a Josh Freeman type player, not Pat White.

BlueFin
04-19-2011, 10:45 AM
It will be funny if all of this is smokescreen, and the name Jake Locker gets called at pick 15.

newlownorder
04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Ughh, time to take a look at more Nevada film...Zzzzzzzzz.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 10:47 AM

Except for the part about looking outstanding during the Senior Bowl. I thought he struggled. The people at practices all got giddy just because he looked good next to Jake Locker, but as I've been saying for months, that's a pretty easy benchmark to beat.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 10:48 AM
It will be funny if all of this is smokescreen, and the name Jake Locker gets called at pick 15.

We have different definitions of the word "funny" I think, lol.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Except for the part about looking outstanding during the Senior Bowl. I thought he struggled. The people at practices all got giddy just because he looked good next to Jake Locker, but as I've been saying for months, that's a pretty easy benchmark to beat.

Kaepernick struggled during the actual game when he had face defenders like Von Miller who was stalking his *** down every play... he didn't see defenders like that in the WAC..

People were heaping praise on Kaepernick all week in practice because he surpassed anyone's expectations. He wasn't viewed as a potential top 10 pick so there wasn't much room for disappointment... especially compared to Jake Locker.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm hoping that this is just more of the same campaign they've been running for months, which is to have Ryan Mallett in for all these interviews and discussions, workouts, etc...and then turn right around and put word out there that Ryan Mallett is not actually their guy. They've been doing that since the Combine, when they met Mallett and turned right around and told a lOcal journalist that they thought he was a douche or some such. But then they decided to work him out privately in Fayetteville along with D.J. Williams, and of course they turned right around AGAIN and had people tell Jason La Canfora and another local (this time a different local from the last lOcal) that they still don't like Mallett at all, that their real target is D.J. Williams, and in fact they went so far as to say that the only reason Mallett was even invited was so that D.J. would have someone to throw to him. Now, despite that, they had Mallett fly down to Miami for a two-day private visit to the facilities (too bad I didn't see him, I was there during one of the days). And, like clockwork, there's fresh word that Mallett is not the target, that it's Kaepernick.

I'm HOPING that this is what's going on...that they're doing their best to get comfortable with and develop a consensus on a guy that comes with some problems, while at the same time trying to smokescreen it so that people in the league aren't sure what they're doing yet.

This is definitely a guy that comes with problems. Any quarterback that admits he's experimented with drugs in college carries some baggage with him. Not only that, but there's a dynamic to be considered between Ryan Mallett and Chad Henne. Maybe they got along, maybe they didn't. You have to be sold and that means some people in the building having to work to sell other peoplei n the building on the idea...because EVERYONE has to be on board when you take a quarterback. There can be no voices of dissent. That would, to me, explain why so many meetings...especially hearing that Tony Sparano was the guy that had Mallett cornered during that four-man lunch date between Jeff Ireland, D.J. Williams, Tony Sparano and Ryan Mallett. Now, to have him in the building, probably meeting with Stephen Ross...it speaks to me of some consensus building efforts.

Where you'd really have to start being skeptical of the whole thing is if the Dolphins were not putting out any word privately except being in love with Mallett.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 11:04 AM
If they're passing up on quarterbacks based on whether or not the guy can co-exist with Chad Henne... that's a problem to begin with.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
If they're passing up on quarterbacks based on whether or not the guy can co-exist with Chad Henne... that's a problem to begin with.

No kidding.

Myles Fynch
04-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Still not sold on this FO. Very strange group of people. Hoping in this draft we're more lucky than good.

D-bolt
04-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Don't you know that taking a shot in the nutt's is one of comedies top gimme's?:tongue:

We have different definitions of the word "funny" I think, lol.

Mr. Magoo
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM
No, he's much bigger.

Being small is not the reason why Pat White failed in the NFL.

enJeppesen
04-19-2011, 11:30 AM

durrrrrrrrrrrr

Much more accomplished passer and not a stick figure, he actually has the size for nfl

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Still not sold on this FO. Very strange group of people. Hoping in this draft we're more lucky than good.

That's an odd thing to hope for.

LouPhinFan
04-19-2011, 11:43 AM
This is definitely a guy that comes with problems. Any quarterback that admits he's experimented with drugs in college carries some baggage with him. Not only that, but there's a dynamic to be considered between Ryan Mallett and Chad Henne. Maybe they got along, maybe they didn't. You have to be sold and that means some people in the building having to work to sell other peoplei n the building on the idea...because EVERYONE has to be on board when you take a quarterback. There can be no voices of dissent. That would, to me, explain why so many meetings...especially hearing that Tony Sparano was the guy that had Mallett cornered during that four-man lunch date between Jeff Ireland, D.J. Williams, Tony Sparano and Ryan Mallett. Now, to have him in the building, probably meeting with Stephen Ross...it speaks to me of some consensus building efforts.

Where you'd really have to start being skeptical of the whole thing is if the Dolphins were not putting out any word privately except being in love with Mallett.

That sounds exactly like what Carolina is doing with Newton. Some are sold, but they are still trying to convince everyone (the owner) in the building that he should be the #1 pick.

TheBow305
04-19-2011, 11:49 AM
If we take him at 15, or even in the 1st round, I'll f'n snap!

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 11:54 AM
god i wish we had fired these guys when we had the chance...sparano and ireland if they go the kaep route won't even be around if/when he's finally ready to take the reigns

what bothers me is its not like this is something out of the blue 10 days before the draft like that washington wants mallett crap i read yesterday...this miami really likes kaep stuff has been buzzing since the senior bowl week...

ugh...thats all i can say

too bad the raiders don't have a pick in the first round...i'd bet money they're the afc west team with kaep at the top of their qb board

Elliott 1
04-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Colin Kaepernick is the best QB prospect in this draft.

He will have a better NFL career than any of the others.

He will have a better NFL career than John Elway.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 12:00 PM

in other words he'll be a hall of famer...wow...slow your roll

Aqua and Orange
04-19-2011, 12:01 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/KohneysKorner/status/60334781430366208

Oof. This would make sense if Ireland and Sparano have been given assurances from Ross that if they draft a QB they will be retained for the duration of his early development...considering it will take a few years to iron out his throwing mechanics alone.

Joking aside, I would only like Kaepernick if Mallett and Ponder are both gone. If either are still there I will go into the annual angry Dolphins post-draft rant.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 12:03 PM
Oof. This would make sense if Ireland and Sparano have been given assurances from Ross that if they draft a QB they will be retained for the duration of his early development...considering it will take a few years to iron out his throwing mechanics alone.

Joking aside, I would only like Kaepernick if Mallett and Ponder are both gone. If either are still there I will go into the annual angry Dolphins post-draft rant.

it's been like that around my house for years now...why should 2011 be any different???

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
who is this mark kohn anyways??? what connections does he have???

DKphin
04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Although Kaepernick has much better chance of making it than Pat White ever thought of having. Pat White was one of the worst picks I have ever seen in draft history. Not that he did not have ability, but he was not going to be a QB and to pick him in the 2nd rd was a joke!:err: On top of that, the idiots refusal to play any other position was ridiculous.

tylerdolphin
04-19-2011, 12:09 PM

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/4ub60x-1.gif

Myles Fynch
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
it's been like that around my house for years now...why should 2011 be any different???

lol. Somehow my glass coffee table is still intact. Remote is cracked, though.

Aqua and Orange
04-19-2011, 12:14 PM

My wife asked what the date of the draft was by asking, "When do the Dolphins pass on a Quarterback in the first round this year?"

Like I said, it's an annual thing.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 12:24 PM
My wife asked what the date of the draft was by asking, "When do the Dolphins pass on a Quarterback in the first round this year?"

there's more to it than just the qb position...unfortunately...ted ginn at #9...a kick returner who couldn't run but 2 routes pretty much at ohio st in the top 10??? you gotta be kidding me...

john beck the 26 year old mormon from that crappy conference in round 2...ugh...in the long list of very bad draft weekends in my house that one takes the cake

i stopped drinking i was so mad that day...and that never happens...

we take kaep with any pick in the top 3 rounds history will repeat itself for me...

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Sports television producer out on the West Coast. He hears some things. I've spoken with him a few times. Thing is I think he's connected just enough to hear what the Phins are trying to put out there, but not connected enough to hear what they're REALLY after. Much credit to him if he ends up right, though.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't want to short sell this regime until I see what they do and why. I have discomfort with them, but last year everyone was CONVINCED that we needed a #1 wide receiver and with Bill Parcells on the outs, taking his hand of the tiller, they went ahead and acquired Brandon Marshall. They surprised us. Maybe they do it again.

Mr. Magoo
04-19-2011, 12:31 PM
I don't want to short sell this regime until I see what they do and why. I have discomfort with them, but last year everyone was CONVINCED that we needed a #1 wide receiver and with Bill Parcells on the outs, taking his hand of the tiller, they went ahead and acquired Brandon Marshall. They surprised us. Maybe they do it again.

You know it's bad when the hope is they'll "surprise you"... by doing something smart.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 12:34 PM

yeah well that word on a wr came directly from the owner...heard it with my own ears in person...anybody got any take on what the owner is demanding this year??? its gotta be qb play since i guarantee sparano is telling anyone who will listen not in the media that henne's not the guy...sparano and henning i think both have made that known in house...and we've heard grumblings that parcells let everyone know henne's not the guy when he was around

Aqua and Orange
04-19-2011, 12:35 PM
there's more to it than just the qb position...unfortunately...ted ginn at #9...a kick returner who couldn't run but 2 routes pretty much at ohio st in the top 10??? you gotta be kidding me...

john beck the 26 year old mormon from that crappy conference in round 2...ugh...in the long list of very bad draft weekends in my house that one takes the cake

we take kaep with any pick in the top 3 rounds history will repeat itself for me...

That draft was epic. It was truly the day of a thousand stories. It was like the JFK assassination in that most of us remember where we were when it happened.

I was sitting on the couch in my in-laws house, watching on a super small television. The thing I remember most was that sinking feeling in my gut when they cut to Brady Quinn stone-faced and NOT on the phone. As the person strode to the podium, before anything was even read, my mouth was hanging open.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 12:38 PM
You know it's bad when the hope is they'll "surprise you"... by doing something smart.

that right there says it all...

datruth55
04-19-2011, 12:46 PM
That draft was epic. It was truly the day of a thousand stories. It was like the JFK assassination in that most of us remember where we were when it happened.

I was sitting on the couch in my in-laws house, watching on a super small television. The thing I remember most was that sinking feeling in my gut when they cut to Brady Quinn stone-faced and NOT on the phone. As the person strode to the podium, before anything was even read, my mouth was hanging open.

I remember it...I was pretty happy we weren't on the phone with Brady Quinn...REALLY HAPPY, until they said Ted Ginn Jr...then I was really mad and started screaming. Revis was my #1 guy and Willis was my #2. We needed corner help and Revis was a darn good kick off return man at Pitt. Would have been a perfect fit. Oh well.

I've already conditioned myself to expect some kind of lineman in the first round after a trade down and some other disappointing pick in the 2nd round. No impact players...that's just how we roll since the Wannstedt days.

Aqua and Orange
04-19-2011, 12:52 PM
I remember it...I was pretty happy we weren't on the phone with Brady Quinn...REALLY HAPPY, until they said Ted Ginn Jr...then I was really mad and started screaming. Revis was my #1 guy and Willis was my #2. We needed corner help and Revis was a darn good kick off return man at Pitt. Would have been a perfect fit. Oh well.

I've already conditioned myself to expect some kind of lineman in the first round after a trade down and some other disappointing pick in the 2nd round. No impact players...that's just how we roll since the Wannstedt days.

Well said. I need to stop hoping draft day arrives and relish this anticipatory hope that we all still have. The time leading up to the draft has been so much more fun than the actual results in the past 10 years.

Kdawg954
04-19-2011, 12:59 PM
I really think Miami is thinking about Kap in round 2 of the draft, but I dunno if he is going to be there.

The ideal plan for THEM would be to trade down, pick up a 2nd . . . go with Pouncey/Ingram and then in the mid 50's . . . take Kaepernick, another 2nd rounder pick used on a QB.

Then again, it could be a guy we are completely forgetting about like Locker, who hasn't got much buzz from Miami.

As much as I am content waiting until 2012 for QB, I would be lowball SHOCKED if Miami didn't come away with a QB after 79 picks (whether trade up or use the first rounder or trade down and get one).

So much work into a bunch of smokescreens, if that is the case . . . wish that kind of effort was being displayed in regards to QB development and time management on game day.

TrinidadDolfan
04-19-2011, 01:01 PM

Classic!!!!

DAFINZ
04-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Would be another colossal waste of a 2nd round pick. Kaepernick is at least 3-4 yrs from starting in this league; this team needs to be in win now mode and either gather the missing components around Henne or get a QB who can potentially start from Day 1 (Ponder or Mallet, preferably Ponder). I'm sick of wasting 2nd round picks on useless QBs Beck, Feeley, White. Kapernick would easily join that list if we take him in the 2nd.

rrrrphin
04-19-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm thinking that Ireland and Sparano are down to thier last chips in Ross' casino. I hope they let it ride on #15 and go for a 40 to 1 payout as opposed to trying to build up thier chips with safe 2 to 1 payouts and a slow agonizing death for the fans. Go for Mallet with full guns a blazing.

Vaark
04-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Puppy love by some notwithstanding, IMO this is Ireland's preemptive head fake intended to misdirect teams looking to leapfrog over us to snatch Mallett.

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/2s6u6g6-1.jpg

Spesh
04-19-2011, 01:44 PM

Was at a sports bar in Pensicola, Florida. Visiting some friends who later worked with various sports teams. To my left was a Broncos fan and my right was a Cardinals fan, with a Bills fan at the other end of the table(mixed in with other teams fans). I spent that entire morning pumped and talking to the others about Leinhart and Cutler and how they secured their own franchise quarterbacks(whoops! in hindsight). I recall the anticipation at 8, i recall raising my fists in the air when we got on the clock. I also recall the stunned disbelief and the sound of roaring laughter after the pick was announced. I do not recall the Texans pick, at all, not even alittle. I must have had my jaw hanging open with my arms still lifted for a good 15 minutes, because what snapped me out of it was the Bills fan screaming "WE GOT BALLS! WE GOT BALLS! MARV LEVY MUST HAVE DIED BECAUSE WE GOT BALLS!" after they drafted Marshawn. After slaming his hands on the table of a random family, he disappeared from site only to return with a shot of jager.

I have to agree with some of the others. This reeks of smokescreen. This close to the draft im trying to take everything with a grain of salt. Any leak from a source is undoubtable cover. That being said, i would not be surprised in the least if this was true. The coaching staff has shown to be unbelievably conservative(to the point of self-destruction: see the '10 season) and it would be just like them to trade back in the first only to burn it on Kaep. If we don't want to take Mallett or Ponder i'll live with it, but dear god we have to stop with the half-measures when it comes to this continued problem. All that we would be doing is wasting more picks on yet another project in an effort to save jobs. Front offices need to realize: the best way to keep your job is to find a franchise quarterback.

tylerdolphin
04-19-2011, 02:03 PM

Usually works the opposite way for me on gameday/the draft...Start out sober and hopeful and taking the event in. End up drunk.

Valandui
04-19-2011, 02:09 PM
He has a Twitter account.

Clipse
04-19-2011, 05:45 PM
In other words, mediocrity is the Dolphins top priority, not success.

X-Pacolypse
04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
He is not the #1 QB in the draft, I agree with you there. Ireland probably has Newton and Gabbert as #1 and #2, but perhaps this is figuring common sense that there is no way they drop to #15. My guess is, if this rumor is true, that he has Kaepernick as the #3 QB ahead of Mallett, but #1 on his board of attainable players. That would not be surprising to me at all because Mallett is no sure fire pick and has plenty of question marks and red flags.

Just because Kaepernick has a similar background, doesn't mean he will translate to the NFL the same. One major difference you fail to mention is that White was 6-0, 190 pounds, while Kaepernick is 6-5, 233 pounds. Part of the reason White failed was because he was just to small.

When I think of Kaepernick, I think more of a Josh Freeman type player, not Pat White.

Kaepernick and Freeman are NOTHING alike. I don't know how you draw such a comparison.

Nublar7
04-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Kaepernick and Freeman are NOTHING alike. I don't know how you draw such a comparison.

They are not identical, but they are both big quarterbacks, athletic and have a strong arm. They both come into the league not like the typical pocket quarterback. Kaepernick is more explosive in the running game than Freeman, but they do have consistency in their game. Kaepernick is much more like Freeman than he is like Pat White. Though he does share similar running ability with Pat.

I have seen a few articles and draft previews that also make the comparison, so I am not alone.

retarmyfinfan
04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
I would puke if he is.

Elliott 1
04-19-2011, 06:39 PM
Everyone who actually believes the Dolphins FO is going to draft a personality like Mallett, who is the slowest QB since George Blanda in his late forties, is in for rude awakening.

Mallett is the smokescreen. It is glaringly obvious.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
They are not identical, but they are both big quarterbacks, athletic and have a strong arm. They both come into the league not like the typical pocket quarterback. Kaepernick is more explosive in the running game than Freeman, but they do have consistency in their game. Kaepernick is much more like Freeman than he is like Pat White. Though he does share similar running ability with Pat.

I have seen a few articles and draft previews that also make the comparison, so I am not alone.

kaepernick is more straight line than freeman...freemans elusive as heck...i don't see the same kinda wiggle with kaep on the move...but i do see some really impressive straight line speed...

even still if anyone thinks kaeps coming into the nfl and playing a solid starting qb from jump they got another thing coming...this kid needs time to develop and familiarize himself with the pro game...time this regime doesn't have

and he also needs clean looks at the target...i don't see a stand in the pocket and despite trash all around delivery guy in kaep

JC
04-19-2011, 06:59 PM
god i wish we had fired these guys when we had the chance...sparano and ireland if they go the kaep route won't even be around if/when he's finally ready to take the reigns

what bothers me is its not like this is something out of the blue 10 days before the draft like that washington wants mallett crap i read yesterday...this miami really likes kaep stuff has been buzzing since the senior bowl week...

ugh...thats all i can say

too bad the raiders don't have a pick in the first round...i'd bet money they're the afc west team with kaep at the top of their qb board

We always get surprises. Knowing how things turn out, all of these "reports" we hear will be mere speculations and the draft will turn out much differently. We can always count on teams reaching for guys and great players falling into our laps (whether we jump at an opportunity is a different story). Just look at Jax drafting Tyson Alualu last year. I'm just hoping the right pieces fall in place so that we can either get a franchise quarterback or trade back and get a slew of players that will come in and play right away.

finfan54
04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm thinking that Ireland and Sparano are down to thier last chips in Ross' casino. I hope they let it ride on #15 and go for a 40 to 1 payout as opposed to trying to build up thier chips with safe 2 to 1 payouts and a slow agonizing death for the fans. Go for Mallet with full guns a blazing.

agreed. i like the risky guys with talent. mallett has headstrong.

I see Mallett, Pouncey, and Carimi and not much else at 15. Ingram? na, deangelo

j-off-her-doll
04-19-2011, 08:16 PM
If Kaepernick were to magically fix his release, he still wouldn't be one of the top-4 QB's in the draft. He's not as effective athletically as Ponder. Ponder has more agility - much more important at the QB position.

If we draft him, I'll be hoping with every bone in my body that I'm dead wrong on this guy . . . But, I'd HATE HATE HATE the pick.

Tureo
04-19-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't care which of the 2nd tier QBs not named Dalton or Locker we take as long as its in the 2nd round. Each have their weaknesses. Ponder has injury issues, Mallett will be blitzed and sacked repeatedly because he's too slow, and Kaep will need a few seasons before starting. I'm not convinced either is without question the answer. I don't see Ponder doing what he couldn't do in college and actually staying healthy. I don't see Mallett suddenly developing footwork or being able to deal with pressure when he couldn't do it in college. In some ways he reminds me of Henne. Hopefully not, especially if we take him

NYPhinzFan
04-19-2011, 11:47 PM

I remember watching that draft with my brother whose a huge cowboys fan. Right before our pick was announced, I jokingly said "with the 9th pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Miami Dolphins select Ted Ginn Jr, WR Ohio State". Me and my brother laughed hysterically. I though I was dreaming when that's what I truly heard. I yelled so loud at the TV for so long, I got a headache and had to go lie down. I will never forget that experience.

Roman529
04-19-2011, 11:47 PM
The only way I see us drafting Kaepernick is if we trade down and get him in Round Two. I have watched Kaepernick play at Nevada-Reno and he has nice size and mobility, but he has kind of a long windup throwing motion, but I think he can work on most of this. He needs to put on about 20 pounds....his legs look like Olive Oyl's.

Elliott 1
04-20-2011, 12:23 PM
The only way I see us drafting Kaepernick is if we trade down and get him in Round Two. I have watched Kaepernick play at Nevada-Reno and he has nice size and mobility, but he has kind of a long windup throwing motion, but I think he can work on most of this. He needs to put on about 20 pounds....his legs look like Olive Oyl's.

Kaepernick weighed in at the Senior Bowl at a cut 6'4 5/8 and 233 lbs. His weight is perfect, and his durability is outstanding. Sports Science proved that his delivery is not slow. It isn't Marinoesque, but it isn't anything close to what his detractors claim.

Colin Kaepernick is the best QB prospect in this draft by far. He has no true weaknesses. He is either solid or outstanding in every aspect of being an NFL franchise QB; and thats a FACT.

rrrrphin
04-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Check out Omar's pick;
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-2011-nfl-mock-draft-030811,0,1854590.htmlstory

LMAO

tylerdolphin
04-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Kaepernick weighed in at the Senior Bowl at a cut 6'4 5/8 and 233 lbs. His weight is perfect, and his durability is outstanding. Sports Science proved that his delivery is not slow. It isn't Marinoesque, but it isn't anything close to what his detractors claim.

Colin Kaepernick is the best QB prospect in this draft by far. He has no true weaknesses. He is either solid or outstanding in every aspect of being an NFL franchise QB; and thats a FACT.

I think you meant opinion. But hey, thats just splitting hairs.

As far as him having no weaknesses, a quick google search found me this:

Has an elongated delivery which he will struggle to shorten due to long arms
Sidearm delivery minimizes his height advantage - low trajectory on passes
Lacks accuracy and spiral on his deeper passes
Comes out of a Pistol offense and will need to adjust to a conventional pro offense with snaps from center and more complex reads in the passing game
Looks uncomfortable in the pocket - doesn't see the field well
Thin build
Great athlete but lack of bulk and average change of direction makes a position change unlikely

The three I bolded seem pretty major if you ask me.

Vaark
04-20-2011, 12:53 PM
lotsa rationale throughout this thread why I suggested this new FH smiley (colonimhocolon)

:imho:

Elliott 1
04-21-2011, 01:09 PM
I think you meant opinion. But hey, thats just splitting hairs.

As far as him having no weaknesses, a quick google search found me this:

The three I bolded seem pretty major if you ask me.

I said true weaknesses.

Where he played and and what kind of offense he ran is something to be considered. It can't possibly be an actual weakness unless he shows later on that he has difficulty adjusting, something his trainer says isn't going to happen because he has already become proficient in the drills he has been running.

Like I said, it is a proven fact the delivery issue was blown way out of proportion. His delivery time is average, and not an elongated wind up like Byron Leftwich. Deep passes: Nevada didn't throw deep a lot, they didn't need to. There is little film to prove this and the reports from the Senior Bowl, the Combine and chatter from his workouts don't support a weakness there.

Looks uncomfortable and doesn't see the field well??? Total BS!! He had a 65% completion percentage last year and he has taken fewer sacks than any of the other top 10 QB's in this draft for the last 4 years, and it isn't even close. (far less than Ponder, who is supposed to be so quick minded and nimble of foot; and not only that Ponder missed a lot of games and Kap didn't)

The bulk thing again. Might have been an issue 2 years ago, but get with the here and now. He has already bulked up. 233 lbs. is a very good weight for a QB. This such BS!!!!! You have a guy who ran for over 4000 yards with zero durability issues. Hooey!

Like I said, no true weaknesses, and why is somebody like you posting stuff like this you know is out dated and erroneous? I don't usually see posts like this from you.

Show Me Your TDs
04-21-2011, 01:16 PM
I said true weaknesses.

Where he played and and what kind of offense he ran is something to be considered. It can't possibly be an actual weakness unless he shows later on that he has difficulty adjusting, something his trainer says isn't going to happen because he has already become proficient in the drills he has been running.

Like I said, it is a proven fact the delivery issue was blown way out of proportion. His delivery time is average, and not an elongated wind up like Byron Leftwich. Deep passes: Nevada didn't throw deep a lot, they didn't need to. There is little film to prove this and the reports from the Senior Bowl, the Combine and chatter from his workouts don't support a weakness there.

Looks uncomfortable and doesn't see the field well??? Total BS!! He had a 65% completion percentage last year and he has taken fewer sacks than any of the other top 10 QB's in this draft for the last 4 years, and it isn't even close. (far less than Ponder, who is supposed to be so quick minded and nimble of foot; and not only that Ponder missed a lot of games and Kap didn't)

The bulk thing again. Might have been an issue 2 years ago, but get with the here and now. He has already bulked up. 233 lbs. is a very good weight for a QB. This such BS!!!!! You have a guy who ran for over 4000 yards with zero durability issues. Hooey!

Like I said, no true weaknesses, and why is somebody like you posting stuff like this you know is out dated and erroneous? I don't usually see posts like this from you.

I'm not as down on him as others but he is the true definition of a potential prospect. He has a very high ceiling but how knows if his game will ever translate to the NFL. The offense he ran has very little NFL value which makes it very difficult to evaluate for the NFL level. I wouldn't mind drafting him in a trade down scenario but if that happens it means Miami hasn't take the initiative and select true 1st round talent QB. BUT you can not overlook the delivery issue.

j-off-her-doll
04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
I said true weaknesses.

If he is "our" QB, I hope you're right.

If you are right, it will be because Kaepernick has an amazing will in conjunction with a jaw-dropping ability to correct his shortcomings. It WON'T be because he has no true weaknesses.

vaneasy2338
04-21-2011, 04:08 PM
I like Colin as a person... Put simply, he's the type of player that you find yourself rooting despite having no loyalities to him or his team (kinda like Tebow). But we have bit in the *** too many times by taking the high character low risk player (we're not the only team either). It's time we take a risk at the quarterback position. If this staff doesn't realize that now... they never will.

Elliott 1
04-22-2011, 01:28 AM
I like Colin as a person... Put simply, he's the type of player that you find yourself rooting despite having no loyalities to him or his team (kinda like Tebow). But we have bit in the *** too many times by taking the high character low risk player (we're not the only team either). It's time we take a risk at the quarterback position. If this staff doesn't realize that now... they never will.

I agree his love of the game is contagious, it's one of things that make him a great leader, but the guy is a vicious competitor. He has that, in your face I'm gonna beat you attitude.

Nobody cares about Mallett's party life. He is a risk because he is a sack taking machine compared to Kap. He is a risk because he has half a brain compared to Kap's full one.

Drafting Mallet instead of Kap would be stupid
; and there is no power in stupid.

Buff
04-22-2011, 04:47 AM
If we traded down & picked Kaepernick that would be ok by me. I like his ability & athleticism. He can run, which is something we havent had in a qb for a while. He has a pretty good arm, and would be worth a late 1st or 2nd rounder.

Finfanforever
04-22-2011, 06:03 AM
You are right...I'm thinking more of a Ray Lucas/Pat White hybrid

goonies
04-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Sparano loved john jerry from the senoir bowl last year. When we drafted jerry to start last year i knew right there our season was going to suck and signing incognito. Let me be clear john jerry should not be a starter in the nfl. Heres to hoping ireland picks impact players.

CANDolphan
04-22-2011, 05:29 PM
If we traded down & picked Kaepernick that would be ok by me. I like his ability & athleticism. He can run, which is something we havent had in a qb for a while. He has a pretty good arm, and would be worth a late 1st or 2nd rounder.

Uhhhh Tyler Thigpen and Pat White