PDA

View Full Version : Question: What QB's are available next year?

SirDrums
04-19-2011, 02:05 PM
With all the talk about trying to get a QB this year I wonder what QB's are available next year? Would it be better to what until next year to draft a better QB?

What if we reach for a QB this year only to regret it because a better option came around next year?

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
"Next year's" class always looks better when you're a year away... once those guys have been through the meatgrinder for 6 months and had every single drafnik, scout, talking head, analyst, disc jockey, sportswriter, journalist, and plumber in the United States strip them bare.... you'll be second guessing those quarterbacks too...

You can spin that question and ask if you pass up on a quarterback this year in favor of another project on the offensive line for Sparano, how much are you going to regret it...

Mr. Magoo
04-19-2011, 03:05 PM
Andrew Luck is obviously the golden name, and in my view stands pretty far apart of the rest. Matt Barkley is a guy who... I really want to like him, given the pro style offense, the great mechanics and all of that, but I dunno. Something's missing. Likewise with Nick Foles, who I'm not sure processes the game very fast at all. Tiny as he is, I also like Kellen Moore... a lot of guys get thrown around as the "next Drew Brees" but he could actually be the real deal, though he plays with really good talent given the conference. I need to see more of Landry Jones, though I'm already convinced he's no Sam Bradford. There's at least one guy who's name I'm missing. Wilson or something like that (not Tyler Wilson). I didn't see him play but I've heard his name thrown around a few times.

Edit: I meant Ryan Lindley. Yeah, I'm going to have to find a way to watch some San Diego State next year. Should be interesting to see what Kirk Cousins does, also. I haven't seen him play that much but I haven't been overly impressed when I did. I don't think he's that much better than Brian Hoyer, though I did think Hoyer was underrated.

Valandui
04-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Murray from Georgia should be eligible as well, I think.

Mr. Magoo
04-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Murray from Georgia should be eligible as well, I think.

Yeah, I like him also. A bit skinny, but a tough guy considering the lack of bulk. Should be interesting to see how well he does without AJ Green. Murray's play improved considerably when Green came back, though this was also Murray's first year starting so you would expect improvement.

kizzaboo
04-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Brandon Weeden

jonanthans
04-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Andrew Luck
Matt Barkley
Brandon Weeden
Nick Foles
Kellen Moore
Kirk Cousins
Austin Davis
Terrelle Pryor

Next years Qb class is stronger than this years. Which is exactly why I prefer to trade down, solidify the O-Line, Rb, TE, C, and add some speed at the WR position. Next year throw everything at getting Andrew Luck and he will be able to step into a young, strong team that can start toward seriously competing for a title. Every Qb in this draft has some kind of issues on them, why not give Henne one last year under the new OC and build for the future.

Harry Csonka
04-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Pryor.

Mr. Magoo
04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Pryor.

Ugh. He is an awful QB prospect.

Mr. Magoo
04-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Andrew Luck
Matt Barkley
Brandon Weeden
Nick Foles
Kellen Moore
Kirk Cousins
Austin Davis
Terrelle Pryor

Next years Qb class is stronger than this years. Which is exactly why I prefer to trade down, solidify the O-Line, Rb, TE, C, and add some speed at the WR position. Next year throw everything at getting Andrew Luck and he will be able to step into a young, strong team that can start toward seriously competing for a title. Every Qb in this draft has some kind of issues on them, why not give Henne one last year under the new OC and build for the future.

I don't agree. This class is underrated, imo. And next year's overrated, outside of Luck.

And all you're going to do by solidifying the other positions is make it harder to get Luck, who is as sure fire a #1 overall pick prospect as I've ever seen heading into a season. Besides, in a world where the #1 overall pick is making as much as the #20 overall pick made last year (as I've seen laid out in one rookie cap scenario), that pick is going to be locked up like it's in Fort Knox.

jonanthans
04-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Perhaps so, but with possibly 4-5 Qbs going in the first round this year, the teams in the market for Luck will be a lot smaller than this years Qb hungry teams. Carolina/Buffalo/Arizona/Tenn/Wash all could draft a Qb this year and could all be picking top 10 again next year. We may be bidding against one or two teams instead of 7. Solidify the previously mentioned positions this season and I would be perfectly fine with giving up every damn pick in next years draft for A. Luck. That would be the only glaring need we would have left to fill, and finally lock up our franchise Qb.

Mr. Magoo
04-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Perhaps so, but with possibly 4-5 Qbs going in the first round this year, the teams in the market for Luck will be a lot smaller than this years Qb hungry teams. Carolina/Buffalo/Arizona/Tenn/Wash all could draft a Qb this year and could all be picking top 10 again next year. We may be bidding against one or two teams instead of 7. Solidify the previously mentioned positions this season and I would be perfectly fine with giving up every damn pick in next years draft for A. Luck. That would be the only glaring need we would have left to fill, and finally lock up our franchise Qb.

Possibly. The last two quarterback heavy first rounds was in 1983 and 1999 (the Couch, McNabb, Culpepper et all year). In 1984 the first quarterback wasn't taken until the second round (Boomer Esaison) and in 2000 the first quarterback wasn't taken until like the 18th pick (Chad Pennington).

But neither of those guy compares to Luck as a prospect.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM
"Next year's" class always looks better when you're a year away... once those guys have been through the meatgrinder for 6 months and had every single drafnik, scout, talking head, analyst, disc jockey, sportswriter, journalist, and plumber in the United States strip them bare.... you'll be second guessing those quarterbacks too...

You can spin that question and ask if you pass up on a quarterback this year in favor of another project on the offensive line for Sparano, how much are you going to regret it...

Exactly what I tell people whenever they start talking about next year's class.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I like him also. A bit skinny, but a tough guy considering the lack of bulk. Should be interesting to see how well he does without AJ Green. Murray's play improved considerably when Green came back, though this was also Murray's first year starting so you would expect improvement.

A.J. Green took Matthew Stafford from being a 52-55% passer to completing over 60% of his passes... Of course I liked Sanchez better than Stafford in the '09 draft anyway...

Murray is the kid who reminds me of a young Drew Brees at Purdue..

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Keeping TedSlimmJr's warning FIRMLY fixed in everyone's mind...here are some quarterbacks to look at for next year.

1. Andrew Luck - Effing obvious. I've had him a #1 overall since his freshman year.

2. Matt Barkley - Watch his game against Cal this year, then get back to me.

3. Ryan Lindley - Certainly no slam dunk but a smart guy that knows where to rotate with the ball and seemed to me to be let down by his receivers some. He REALLY reminded me of Matt Ryan a few times this year. He's got kind of that gunslinger mentality that he needs to rein in some, just like Matt Ryan did...but he's also got a good arm, really good feet, good accuracy especially deep, and like I said he's a pretty good decision-maker. He made Vincent Brown with his 4.7 speed look like a tremendous deep threat in part because Lindley just throws THAT accurate a deep ball, Brown could get away with having little to no separation and the ball would be right in the bucket. Should you be counting on this guy? No. He's at San Diego State. He could be off the map within 12 months, that's how these things go. But he's one of the top guys I'll be looking for.

4. Brandon Weeden - In pure talent I'd put him up there with Luck and Barkley. He's that good. Sense for the rush and ability to move, breathe in the pocket and use that tremendous railgun on his shoulders to bail himself out of trouble are all phenomenal. He's very accurate, good deep accuracy. Got creative with Dana Holgorsen's offense at times, even Dana wasn't expecting some of those choices on where he went with the ball...that's kind of a Marino thing. Way more talented than Zac Robinson was. I don't know how a baseball convert got this good but he's fantastic, he's Roy Hobbs. This was his first year starting and the progress from first game to last was unique, Dana Holgorsen said he's never seen a guy improve that much that quickly. What's the catch? He'll be 29! He came out of high school and went as a professional baseball player to the Yankees. He had a 97 mph fastball, so he went high and made a little money, had some injuries, wasn't good enough...decided to go back to college and play football. The other catch is, I don't know if this guy LOVES the sport or not. He seemed content to be the team's 3rd string quarterback all the way into 2009 when he clearly (in retrospect) should have been starting. Zac Robinson missed a game and his immediate backup, who was still ahead of Brandon Weeden, started the game and sucked. They were in danger of being embarrassed by I think it was Colorado on national television. Brandon Weeden came in as the 3rd stringer in the 2nd half and led a tremendous comeback, won the game. He's just that good. But he already GRADUATED, he's like 28 years old, Dana Holgorsen left the program, and Weeden STILL decided to go back to school. Seriously. And now he's joined the golf team and talks about that constantly. So ridiculously frustrating to see a guy be as natural as Roy Hobbs and yet you don't really know if he wants it. But, I know people close to the NFL that say there were teams that had the same concern about Sam Bradford.

5. Landry Jones - He has all the talent you could hope for, his throwing ability is superb. He was very inconsistent but if he takes the next step he could get in the mix as a premium passer. But that's a big IF...again 12 months is enough time for a guy like him to go from on the cusp to off the map.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 04:40 PM
I'll say this about Ryan Lindley because I think he's a decent NFL quarterback prospect. He's inaccurate, and has the T.J. Yates syndrome when it comes to questionable decision making, he needs to turn the corner in these two areas the most in my opinion as a Senior.

I'll say this about Landry Jones... he ain't Sam Bradford, and I wasn't even sold on Sam Bradford as a #1 overall pick.

Matt Barkley and Andrew Luck are in a league of their own... If I had to say it now, they're the only two franchise caliber quarterbacks potentially in next year's draft..

Chandler Harnish is a kid I'm extremely high on that doesn't get talked about much as a prospect... I like him and Austin Davis.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 04:43 PM
Hilarious... we already just completely disagreed on Ryan Lindley...

Welcome to your 2012 quarterback class ladies and gentlemen...:lol:

Kdawg954
04-19-2011, 04:44 PM
Don't forget to factor in potential 2012 "Cam Newton's" . . . there will be a guy that comes out of nowhere and produces at a high level.

I really like the 2012 class, to the point where I am not "desperate" in a sense of trading away a bunch of picks to grab a QB in 2011. But Miami can't be dumb, if a potential franchise guy falls into their laps in this draft, they need to do that and while everybody is scrambling for one of those 2012 QB's, we have our guy one season in ready to take the reins and we can use next years pick on something else.

It works 2 ways.

I mean really . . . we draft 15th . . . looking at the draft, WHAT FITS?

A pass rusher? Not at 15 . . . he ain't beating out Cam Wake and he better be as versatile as Koa Misi. I like Quinn, Smith and Kerrigan . . . rather a QB.

A DE? There would be riots in the streets, even though I like both Cam Jordan and JJ Watt

An OG? At 15, give me a break, not when QB is a glaring need

A WR? Yea if Green or Jones are there I think about it, because its about adding quality offensive playmakers and that is quality for 15. Still prefer a QB if we really like someone.

A RB? I love Mark Ingram, concerned about the knees . . . but you don't take him over a QB either if you like that QB. Leshoure at 15? jokes

An OT? For what? To add to the most expensive bookend tackle duo in the league? Nah

A QB? Makes perfect sense. You have a guy in Henne in the last year of his contract who has been inconsistent at best for the team . . . 2 veteran FA QB's . . . one who gets injured when the wind blows and the other who IMO just doesn't have it to be a starter in the league long term. You have a guy in Brandenster who we plucked off a practice squad. There is no confident answer on this team, and even though drafting a rookie on 15 still leaves us with no confident answer, atleast you start working on the solution.

Everybody wins . . . Henne is going to get his shot with a new OC, he is going to know a fresh rookie has been drafted in the first round meaning its now or never, and the rookie gets time to groom and doesn't have to be thrown in the fire right away. Hell if Henne lights it up, we have 2 potential solid QB's on the roster. For a team that hasn't found the answer in 11 years, I don't see that as a problem.

jonanthans
04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
{reply to CK}

yes, Matt Barkleys performance against Cal was unreal. I watched that game and was really impressed. I think he will be a Top 5 pick in next years draft. I would take him or Luck over any of the Qbs in this years draft, which is why I don't care if we pass on one this year. With so many teams selecting a Qb this year, the competetion for Luck and Barkley will be down to 3-4 teams. Worth waiting for, imho..

Kdawg954
04-19-2011, 04:59 PM
{reply to CK}

yes, Matt Barkleys performance against Cal was unreal. I watched that game and was really impressed. I think he will be a Top 5 pick in next years draft. I would take him or Luck over any of the Qbs in this years draft, which is why I don't care if we pass on one this year. With so many teams selecting a Qb this year, the competetion for Luck and Barkley will be down to 3-4 teams. Worth waiting for, imho..

Real good chance Barkley stays. His family has money, I believe USC gets off of probation after this season . . . you knows he wants a shot at atleast going to the Rose Bowl, let alone the BCS title game and to be #1 overall (assuming Luck is the guy in 2011) in 2012.

If Barkley leaves, that 1, 2 along with whoever becomes the #3 guy is right up there with Rivers/Manning/Big Ben.

jonanthans
04-19-2011, 05:05 PM
If Barkley leaves, that 1, 2 along with whoever becomes the #3 guy is right up there with Rivers/Manning/Big Ben.

Exactly. So do we really want to take ourselves out of the running by drafting a Qb from this years crop, none of whom rate any better than Luck or Barkley or possibly even Weeden?

Kdawg954
04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Exactly. So do we really want to take ourselves out of the running by drafting a Qb from this years crop, none of whom rate any better than Luck or Barkley or possibly even Weeden?

If everything goes to plan, you better have a top 3 pick if you want Luck or Barkley. Weeden is gonna be like 30, but that could fit a team like Miami who could have a potential top 5 defense on their hands, and hopefully an offense on the rise, just missing a QB.

Miami won't be that bad this year, even if they don't draft a QB in 2011. Hell I like Nick Foles, and he was my pick for Miami if he came out this year . . . so I don't mind waiting, but not at the expense of letting a potential franchise QB pass you up this year.