PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins put QB Andy Dalton through the "Diva Receiver" Test

SkapePhin
04-19-2011, 06:41 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/19/dolphins-put-andy-dalton-to-the-test/

But then the Dolphins exposed Dalton to another type of test, with offensive coordinator Brian Daboll pretending to be a disgruntled receiver who wasn’t getting the ball as much as he’d like. (We’re not sure why the Fins would be worried about that; they have no one on the roster who fits that description. Eye roll.)

“He was yelling at me pretty loud about not getting the ball,” Dalton told King. “I said, ‘I’ll take a look at that. . . . All right, all right!’ I don’t think I handled that too well, but I know I can when it happens. But the situation was a little weird.”

This is very interesting. For one, it shows that the Dolphins are doing their due dilligence with all QB prospects. Secondly, it leads credence to the theory that Brandon Marshall was actually a DETRIMENT to Henne's development because Henne couldn't handle the pressure of trying to appease an alpha-type receiver.

This makes sense, considering Henne's best game came when Marshall was out.

This piece makes me believe that the Dolphins are strongly considering a QB in the first round, and that QB will be an alpha-type personality, unlike Henne, that is capable of putting a guy like Marshall in his place. :coughmallettcough:

JC
04-19-2011, 06:51 PM
Please say no to Andy Dalton. Ryan Mallett, Mark Ingram, or trade down.

Nublar7
04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
There is talk today of Dalton possibly at #15. I am not kidding.

hooshoops
04-19-2011, 06:57 PM

that's awful...plain awful...

beanh8er
04-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Shows nothing of the sort. His best game came against a team who had one of the worst #2 CBs in the league and their #1 just coming off of an ankle injury. Not to mention a strong running game, 168 yards?, amazing defense, 10? rushing yards allowed, with actually good play calling.

If we draft Dalton I will just quit.

DeeAy3000
04-19-2011, 06:59 PM

There's a late curveball. Where is this coming from?

SkapePhin
04-19-2011, 07:01 PM
Shows nothing of the sort. His best game came against a team who had one of the worst #2 CBs in the league and their #1 just coming off of an ankle injury. Not to mention a strong running game, 168 yards?, amazing defense, 10? rushing yards allowed, with actually good play calling.

If we draft Dalton I will just quit.

Henne regressed with the addition of Marshall. He tends to do better when he can focus on delivering the ball to any target.

In any case, I think the fact that Dalton spoke about this private meeting sealed his fate with this regime...

Casas9425
04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/19/dolphins-put-andy-dalton-to-the-test/

This is very interesting. For one, it shows that the Dolphins are doing their due dilligence with all QB prospects. Secondly, it leads credence to the theory that Brandon Marshall was actually a DETRIMENT to Henne's development because Henne couldn't handle the pressure of trying to appease an alpha-type receiver.

This makes sense, considering Henne's best game came when Marshall was out.

This piece makes me believe that the Dolphins are strongly considering a QB in the first round, and that QB will be an alpha-type personality, unlike Henne, that is capable of putting a guy like Marshall in his place. :coughmallettcough:
i think it does show they want someone more vocal and with better leadership.

Nublar7
04-19-2011, 07:13 PM
There's a late curveball. Where is this coming from?

Peter King

j-off-her-doll
04-19-2011, 07:40 PM
I've been saying from day 1 that Dalton doesn't have the arm to get it done. He just doesn't look good throwing the ball, and he doesn't have anything to compensate for that lack of ability. I would not draft him unless I was in the market for a 3rd string QB to groom into a 2nd string QB.

finfan54
04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
little tidbit

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/668766-nfl-draft-2011-latest-buzz-rumors-surrounding-2011s-top-prospects/entry/65187-nfl-draft-2011-andy-dalton-christian-ponder-spark-more-redskins-trade-rumors

PJack
04-19-2011, 08:12 PM
that's awful...plain awful...
+1. If people thought Dolphin nation was pissed when we drafted Ginn, it would be nothing if Dalton get's called at 15. It just might be more than I can take. Might as well draft a back up punter too as Fields' leg will all but fall off if Dalton's behind center.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I don't like Andy Dalton. At all. But the fact that the Dolphins might decide they don't want Andy Dalton because he didn't handle that ridiculous charade that they put on during interview...scares the ****ing **** out of me in so many ways.

It reminds me of the story about Sam Shields. He visited the Dolphins, they were thinking about him as a UDFA. They asked him to name the Fins' DBs Coach (Todd Bowles). Shields couldn't name him. They said he failed, and of course didn't sign him. He went on to start and play CB for most of the Super Bowl.

Casas9425
04-19-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't like Andy Dalton. At all. But the fact that the Dolphins might decide they don't want Andy Dalton because he didn't handle that ridiculous charade that they put on during interview...scares the ****ing **** out of me in so many ways.

It reminds me of the story about Sam Shields. He visited the Dolphins, they were thinking about him as a UDFA. They asked him to name the Fins' DBs Coach (Todd Bowles). Shields couldn't name him. They said he failed, and of course didn't sign him. He went on to start and play CB for most of the Super Bowl.

I have a feeling Steve Ross is going to regret not firing these clowns. Peter King now has us drafting Andy Dalton at 15...

bryan
04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
This FO has issues.

They should already know how a kid responded in adverse situations in college if they did their homework.

If I was Dalton I would be speechless........like are you ****ing serious.

Last year Ireland and Dez...........this year we have Daboll pretending in a little skit to be Marshall. WTF!

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
the fact that the Dolphins might decide they don't want Andy Dalton because he didn't handle that ridiculous charade that they put on during interview...scares the ****ing **** out of me

It's incredible Parrothead, no doubt about. I literally can't help but just shake my head and laugh at this coaching staff and front office.

I'm way, WAY past the point of being irritated... they're just downright funny to watch go about their business of evaluating quarterbacks. It's entertaining..

bryan
04-19-2011, 09:04 PM
Another little part of me just died as I have even less hope we draft Mallett. If these guys think this stuff has any importance in finding a franchise QB we are screwed.

Casas9425
04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
This FO has issues.

They should already know how a kid responded in adverse situations in college if they did their homework.

If I was Dalton I would be speechless........like are you ****ing serious.

Last year Ireland and Dez...........this year we have Daboll pretending in a little skit to be Marshall. WTF!
it's embarrassing.

MP-Omnis
04-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Andy Dalton is a giant Agent Orange ginger smokescreen.

X-Pacolypse
04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Ryan Mallett would standup to Marshall.

AP27
04-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Very odd about Dalton, but let me get this straight. In the past 15 hours we now have to seperate reports of the Dolphins preferring Kaepernick and Dalton. Either Mallett is their man or we are going to draft Pouncey or Ingram.

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 10:38 PM
It's incredible Parrothead, no doubt about. I literally can't help but just shake my head and laugh at this coaching staff and front office.

I'm way, WAY past the point of being irritated... they're just downright funny to watch go about their business of evaluating quarterbacks. It's entertaining..

The eternal optimist in me just hopes they did that for their own entertainment and they really didn't consider it in the decision making process AT ALL. I mean at some point I'd get bored and have a little fun with the process too.

But seriously, HOW MANY ways is this entire scenario screwed up?

1. They shouldn't be considering Andy Dalton in the first place, and that's on talent
2. Nice way to sour your relationship with Brandon Marshall, basically imitating him (in a negative light) during the interview
3. Oh, you didn't think people would find out? Because the 'prostitute' thing certainly stayed secret, right?
4. Are they saying that they would actually consider whatever Dalton says in that ridiculous situation in their decision-making? Holy hell!

I just...I'm at an effing loss sometimes with these guys.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 10:48 PM
The eternal optimist in me just hopes they did that for their own entertainment and they really didn't consider it in the decision making process AT ALL. I mean at some point I'd get bored and have a little fun with the process too.

But seriously, HOW MANY ways is this entire scenario screwed up?

1. They shouldn't be considering Andy Dalton in the first place, and that's on talent
2. Nice way to sour your relationship with Brandon Marshall, basically imitating him (in a negative light) during the interview
3. Oh, you didn't think people would find out? Because the 'prostitute' thing certainly stayed secret, right?
4. Are they saying that they would actually consider whatever Dalton says in that ridiculous situation in their decision-making? Holy hell!

I just...I'm at an effing loss sometimes with these guys.

1. Exactly
2. Absolutely
3. Duh
4. Shocking

I think the point is, everyone WANTS to believe that these guys aren't really as strange, unethical, clueless, and stubborn as they've appeared to be from day 1... I mean, these are supposed to be professionals.. right?

I'm not buying it CK. I can't convince myself of it when I step back and look at the entire picture. I think they are. If they've PROVEN anything to me in going on 4 years,... it's that they ARE...

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 10:53 PM
1. Exactly
2. Absolutely
3. Duh
4. Shocking

I think the point is, everyone WANTS to believe that these guys aren't really as strange, unethical, clueless, and stubborn as they've appeared to be from day 1... I mean, these are supposed to be professionals.. right?

I'm not buying it CK. I can't convince myself of it when I step back and look at the entire picture. I think they are. If they've PROVEN anything to me in going on 4 years,... it's that they ARE...

I'm afraid you could be right. But if I admitted it, I wouldn't even bother watching or following.

TedSlimmJr
04-19-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm afraid you could be right. But if I admitted it, I wouldn't even bother watching or following.

I don't blame you.

Mr. Magoo
04-19-2011, 11:06 PM
I can just imagine Sparano breaking down the metrics of how long it took each prospect to go, "Sit down and shut the **** up!"

"Yes, well. As you can see here, Cam Newton started referring to himself in the third person in .48 seconds, causing the diva to recognize he was dealing with one of his own kind and then quiet down.

Whereas Christian Ponder immediately goes to the whiteboard and draws up a schematic of the world's smallest violin. That's great attention to detail.

Blaine Gabbert, well... using his pocket instincts he scrambles laterally out of the room before the diva really has a chance to get going. Great escapability there.

Ryan Mallett giggles in .30 seconds, the fastest reaction time of the group, before staring at our diva with a WTF look on his face.

The most intriguing reaction of the group is Colin Kaepernick, who as you can see takes a football and throws it through a brick wall, making a place for himself to escape. One of our scouts feels this escape by Kaepernick shows John Elway-like ability, but since we're not looking for John Elways around here I had him executed by firing squad this morning."

Aqua and Orange
04-20-2011, 12:28 AM
1. Exactly
2. Absolutely
3. Duh
4. Shocking

Hearing this regime make an *** of themselves again is one of the least surprising things I have seen on this board in a while. They seriously need to hire someone to just tell them when they are being idiots at this point.

Fintastic2124
04-20-2011, 02:56 AM
We'll take Pouncy!!! Don't listen to all my foolish talk and prayers about mallet!!! Take Ingram!! I don't give a ****!! just no Dalton!!!

LouPhinFan
04-20-2011, 07:09 AM
More importantly, did they ask Dalton what his mother does for a living? I mean, you can never be too sure about stuff like that...

Chubby
04-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Seriously, this Regime is being run by a bunch of Circus clowns.

Sigh....... the 2012 new regime cant get here fast enough.
Chubbs

Phinatic8u
04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Henne regressed with the addition of Marshall. He tends to do better when he can focus on delivering the ball to any target.

In any case, I think the fact that Dalton spoke about this private meeting sealed his fate with this regime...

So then he needs to GTFO of Miami if he can't throw to one guy more than someone else.

Henne just can't read defenses', thats why he regreesed, nothing Marshall has done.