PDA

View Full Version : Ryan mallet and Bobby Petrino

DKphin
04-19-2011, 10:18 PM
When I was pondering the selection of Mallet at #15, I thought back on the QB's that come out of Petrino's system. Petrion's QBs have put up big numbers in his offense-Dave Ragone, Stefan LeFors, Chris Redman and Brian Brohm- and haven't exactly tore it up in the NFL. I am just saying that Petrino's offense does not lend itself to preparing the signal caller to handle life in the NFL. Not saying that Mallet will not break this trend, but it is something to think about.

X-Pacolypse
04-19-2011, 10:23 PM
When I was pondering the selection of Mallet at #15, I thought back on the QB's that come out of Petrino's system. Petrion's QBs have put up big numbers in his offense-Dave Ragone, Stefan LeFors, Chris Redman and Brian Brohm- and haven't exactly tore it up in the NFL. I am just saying that Petrino's offense does not lend itself to preparing the signal caller to handle life in the NFL. Not saying that Mallet will not break this trend, but it is something to think about.

The four guys you just rattled off aren't even in the same class as Ryan Mallett.

AZStryker
04-19-2011, 10:26 PM
Jeff Tedford had that same stigma until Aaron Rodgers. Isn't it possible he made chicken salad out of chicken **** until a real talent came his way???

ckparrothead
04-19-2011, 10:32 PM

I don't buy this logic at all, it seems very backward to me. The guy hasn't had great QB talents over the years but he coaches them well and they overachieve. That's not the mark of a guy that can't prepare a QB. That's the mark of a guy that prepares QBs very, very well.

He coached Jason Campbell, Mark Brunell, Jay Fiedler, Chris Redman, John Friesz and Jake Plummer.

The most purely talented among those is probably Jake Plummer and Jason Campbell. Campbell is still starting and the Raiders are convinced he's their starter, and Plummer had a nice little career. Mark Brunell was highly productive in Jacksonville with Petrino coaching him. If you look up the definition of overachiever, Jay Fiedler's big ears are flopping right off the page.

This reminds me of the same talk as when there was supposed to be a "curse" on Jeff Tedford. That ended up being BS, as Aaron Rodgers comes out and now he's one of the very best out there. I see people conveniently saying oh but that's because he sat. Right. How convenient.

LouPhinFan
04-19-2011, 11:32 PM
Being a U of L fan I have seen all of those Louisville QBs you mentioned and X is right, they can't touch what Mallett has. Probably the most talented of the bunch from U of L is Redman. That's why he's a great backup to Matty Ice down in ATL. Brohm should have been the best of the bunch, but for some reason he can't grasp the speed of the NFL game. Its not a scheme thing, its a "between the ears" thing for him. There's nothing wrong with Petrino's system. Its a pro-style power running system.

finfan54
04-20-2011, 07:17 PM
I know this much...was watchin gruden qb camp with newton and i just am not impressed with his football acumen. But Mallett seemed to go right to it and know what the hell we was talkin bout.

BostonPhin4
04-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I know this much...was watchin gruden qb camp with newton and i just am not impressed with his football acumen. But Mallett seemed to go right to it and know what the hell we was talkin bout.

I agree I watched that and at first wasn't impressed with his demeanor and intelligence. But as he settled into it and relaxed a little my man crush grew again. He was impressive on the whiteboard and breaking down footage. He also seemed like a guy who would hold his teammates accountable, but also knows when the blame is on his shoulders.

In terms of demeanor he reminds me a bit of Jay Cutler. He seems kind of like an unintelligent d-bag at first, but he has a good football mind and all the physical tools to be a great Qb. As someone else said in another thread he is the kind of alpha male semi d-bag QB that Marshall did so well with in Denver. Plus Marshall's endorsement on twitter which basically is all but begging for the Phins to bring this guy in.

Do the right thing for once! Take Mallet at 15 and we'll all be better off for it.

TedSlimmJr
04-20-2011, 07:50 PM
I've studied and evaluated all those Louisville quarterbacks play, and I never bought into the fact that even Brohm (who was the best of that group) was worth anything close to a 1st round pick. I argued non-stop with a "colleague" of mine about Brian Brohm... Hell, I didn't even think he was the best QB prospect on his own team, I though Hunter Cantwell was a better prospect. The first time I watched Cantwell was when he came in for Brohm (who went out in the 1st quarter with a hand injury) against the Hurricanes, and Cantwell operated that offense better than Brohm in my opinion.

However, the point about Petrino quarterbacks and the NFL is a mixed bag, but he's never had a quarterback like Ryan Mallett. It's not even close in terms of talent with any of those guys. Jeff Tedford quarterbacks had the same stigma attached due to churning out nothing but busts until Aaron Rodgers came along. Same for Bob Stoops until Sam Bradford came along..

I watched Paul Smith pass for 5,000+ yards and almost 50 touchdowns in a single season at Tulsa in Gus Malzahn's offense... If there's one quarterback in this draft I'm most concerned about translating to the NFL, it's Cam Newton... and that was before the disaster with Gruden.

enJeppesen
04-20-2011, 08:21 PM
Isn't something to be said about the data pool being pretty small..afterall its not that many quarterbacks who actually make it..there are bound to be some successful college coaches who havent produced an NFL star and that is hardly any conclusive evidence

TedSlimmJr
04-20-2011, 08:32 PM
Isn't something to be said about the data pool being pretty small..afterall its not that many quarterbacks who actually make it..there are bound to be some successful college coaches who havent produced an NFL star and that is hardly any conclusive evidence

Absolutely... it's the systems that make 95% of these college quarterbacks. These systems do not transcend talent, if they did, these coaches and systems would be in the NFL... and they'd be successful in the NFL.

However, every now and then you do get a player who's talent transcends the system he's playing in, and he'll break the mold of all the unsuccessful "system" quarterbacks that came before him.

There's no guarantee that a single one of these quarterbacks are going to succeed in the NFL. Although I think it's fairly obvious (at least to me) that Ryan Mallett's talent transcends any quarterback Bobby Petrino has ever had... and you can go back as far as you want.

Even the Petrino quarterbacks that don't have the talent to be starters in the NFL are hanging on to backup jobs in the NFL behind legitimate franchise quarterbacks.

Aqua and Orange
04-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Basing a QB's abilities solely based on their college system doesn't make sense. Every single QB has to unlearn what they have learned in college to a certain extent.

Good lord, I sound like Yoda. I think this wait for the draft is making me lose my mind.

ckparrothead
04-21-2011, 11:27 AM
I think we're reaching a point where some of the generally accepted principles that we operated under in projecting quarterbacks from college to pro are being challenged a lot, more spread and non-pro style quarterbacks are having success, and that will continue.

It's a factor...but it's not the all-important one that it used to be.

lil tom digby
04-21-2011, 01:42 PM
I've studied and evaluated all those Louisville quarterbacks play, and I never bought into the fact that even Brohm (who was the best of that group) was worth anything close to a 1st round pick. I argued non-stop with a "colleague" of mine about Brian Brohm... Hell, I didn't even think he was the best QB prospect on his own team, I though Hunter Cantwell was a better prospect. The first time I watched Cantwell was when he came in for Brohm (who went out in the 1st quarter with a hand injury) against the Hurricanes, and Cantwell operated that offense better than Brohm in my opinion.

However, the point about Petrino quarterbacks and the NFL is a mixed bag, but he's never had a quarterback like Ryan Mallett. It's not even close in terms of talent with any of those guys. Jeff Tedford quarterbacks had the same stigma attached due to churning out nothing but busts until Aaron Rodgers came along. Same for Bob Stoops until Sam Bradford came along..

I watched Paul Smith pass for 5,000+ yards and almost 50 touchdowns in a single season at Tulsa in Gus Malzahn's offense... If there's one quarterback in this draft I'm most concerned about translating to the NFL, it's Cam Newton... and that was before the disaster with Gruden.

I remember that game, Cantwell really lit it up. Do you know where he finally ended up?

LouPhinFan
04-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I remember that game, Cantwell really lit it up. Do you know where he finally ended up?

He was with the Panthers organization for awhile on the practice squad, never seeing game action during the season. He was eventually released by them and is now listed on the Ravens' roster.