PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins and their strange interview process.

napsndreds
04-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Just read they went in on Dalton. Their interview process is so corny and I cant see how someone would want to play for the dolphins after being interviewed by these lames.

But then the Dolphins exposed Dalton to another type of test, with offensive coordinator Brian Daboll pretending to be a disgruntled receiver who wasnt getting the ball as much as hed like. (Were not sure why the Fins would be worried about that; they have no one on the roster who fits that description. Eye roll.)
He was yelling at me pretty loud about not getting the ball, Dalton told King. I said, Ill take a look at that. . . . All right, all right! I dont think I handled that too well, but I know I can when it happens. But the situation was a little weird.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/19/dolphins-put-andy-dalton-to-the-test/

kvado16
04-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Oh my god this even makes me feel retarded for being Dolphins fan. More shame.

Uruguayfinfan
04-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Hahahaha, we should see reactions to Sparano fist pumping in FG's and see how well they react to that.

normaniii
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Dalton obviously not coming to Miami

DphinBillkiller
04-20-2011, 12:37 PM
:crazy: D'oh!

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/v60j14-1.jpg

datruth55
04-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Just read they went in on Dalton. Their interview process is so corny and I cant see how someone would want to play for the dolphins after being interviewed by these lames.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/19/dolphins-put-andy-dalton-to-the-test/

At least Ireland didn't ask Dalton if he was a red-headed step child.

ROADRUNNER
04-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Man that is strange............

Myles Fynch
04-20-2011, 12:43 PM
This should be an interesting year.

JayFin327
04-20-2011, 12:45 PM
If I were Dalton, I would of got up and left at the moment. Definitely doesn't seem professional Dabbol!

flynryan15
04-20-2011, 12:57 PM
That practice bubble might as well be a Circus Tent with these clowns running the show.

Wildbill3
04-20-2011, 01:00 PM
what you don't see how testing a young quarterback's resolve in dealing with difficult teammates is a valid test?

giz
04-20-2011, 01:09 PM
These guys are so retarded. They'll be gone this time next year. unfortunately we have to suffer another year before that happens.

napsndreds
04-20-2011, 01:12 PM
Also, what pft didnt mention what Dalton said was Daboll got in his face and started dropping f bombs and calling him mf saying "give me the damn ball, throw me the ball" trying to mimick Marshall...Dalton was taken aback lol.

napsndreds
04-20-2011, 01:15 PM
what you don't see how testing a young quarterback's resolve in dealing with difficult teammates is a valid test?

I think its foolish and a waste of time. If your dropping f bombs and saying to your qb mf give me the ball, 1. that wr doesnt belong here, 2. if you take this from any player you dont belong here.

Dalton should have knocked Daboll out and laid him in the arms of Jeff Ireland and said f the dolphins im joining Dallas. I mean come on now how corny can these guys be?

flynryan15
04-20-2011, 01:18 PM

NO! Frankly every year a potential draft pick or free agent reports a less then pleasant experience with our staff. I don't read about the front offices in New England, Pittsburgh, Greenbay, Indianapolis, etc pulling this crap. This crap about a WR wanting the ball is nothing new and blown way out of proportion! Every elite WR does it Wayne and Fitzgerald were doing it last year. I would be more concerned if a elite WR wasn't demanding the ball.

A better test would be how are you going to deal with a ultra conservative micro-managing HC and an OC who is so stubborn he stone walled Mike Holgrem when he offered help?

I know I know I just hate to hate. But guess what these clowns have earned every bit of doubt and criticism they get!

Patrick_Bateman
04-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Hahahaha, we should see reactions to Sparano fist pumping in FG's and see how well they react to that.

I'm sure they do when they interview kickers....

Wildbill3
04-20-2011, 01:44 PM
NO! Frankly every year a potential draft pick or free agent reports a less then pleasant experience with our staff. I don't read about the front offices in New England, Pittsburgh, Greenbay, Indianapolis, etc pulling this crap. This crap about a WR wanting the ball is nothing new and blown way out of proportion! Every elite WR does it Wayne and Fitzgerald were doing it last year. I would be more concerned if a elite WR wasn't demanding the ball.

A better test would be how are you going to deal with a ultra conservative micro-managing HC and an OC who is so stubborn he stone walled Mike Holgrem when he offered help?

I know I know I just hate to hate. But guess what these clowns have earned every bit of doubt and criticism they get!critisize if you want, you're going to anyway, but I'd like to know why you wouldn't stress test what is the most important position to your team and find out what a qb you're looking to draft is really made of. before I take off in a rocket I want to make sure that all the bolts art tightened.

NY8123
04-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Boo ****ing Hoo for Dalton

When was the last time you ever saw Dan Marino lose control over anyone in his offense!!!!

Take charge of the goddamn offensive unit - someone needs to step up and if they can't handle the task at hand then I don't want them running the offense.

clownfish
04-20-2011, 01:54 PM
The leaders of this front office and coaching staff give clowns a bad name. Clowns are funny and make people laugh. Duh. This **** is NOT funny. It is ridiculously stupid and downright embarrassing. These guys are better classified as tools in what we can consider the tool shed that is the Miami Dolphins. Geez, look at all the tools in that shed since Shula.....Wanny, Spielman, Saban, Cameron, and now these suckers. All are total tools on some level or another. Hell, we even had Norv Turner, King Tool, in the mix at one point. God have mercy on all Dolfans' souls. I really hope this season goes well, but for some strange reason, I don't think it will.

napsndreds
04-20-2011, 01:59 PM
You wanna know why this crap doesnt work? This staff hasnt hit on any particular player of greatness yet except big Jake and even that is debatable. Who taught these guys how to recruit and interview is beyond me. This approach doesnt work, we have nothing to show for this kind of approach.

beanh8er
04-20-2011, 02:01 PM
You wanna know why this crap doesnt work? This staff hasnt hit on any particular player of greatness yet except big Jake and even that is debatable. Who taught these guys how to recruit and interview is beyond me. This approach doesnt work, we have nothing to show for this kind of approach.

Jake Long isn't debatable.

flynryan15
04-20-2011, 02:10 PM
critisize if you want, you're going to anyway, but I'd like to know why you wouldn't stress test what is the most important position to your team and find out what a qb you're looking to draft is really made of. before I take off in a rocket I want to make sure that all the bolts art tightened.

Well it is obvious year after year our methods of testing fail. What good do you really think comes of a charade that consists of a OC dropping f bombs in a meeting? The emotions, passion, and intensity generated on a football sideline can no way be duplicated in a office or interview process. It is just an embarrassing waste of time. Playing off your rocketship analogy I do a walk around inspection prior to every flight, but that doesn't mean I start yanking on pieces of the airplane to test their limits.

SpurzN703
04-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Dalton obviously not coming to Miami

You make it seem like he gets to choose

NY8123
04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Well it is obvious year after year our methods of testing fail. What good do you really think comes of a charade that consists of a OC dropping f bombs in a meeting? The emotions, passion, and intensity generated on a football sideline can no way be duplicated in a office or interview process. It is just an embarrassing waste of time. Playing off your rocketship analogy I do a walk around inspection prior to every flight, but that doesn't mean I start yanking on pieces of the airplane to test their limits.

At least Daboll isn't posting his wifes foot fetish videos and using the F-bomb like a trucker on National TV.

SabanHater
04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
I don't know what to say... I'm kind of 50/50 I guess. you want to find out the guy's mental toughness, I get it... but seriously... that might not be the best approach I've seen.

napsndreds
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Jake Long isn't debatable.

debatable in the sense, should be have taken him number 1 overall.

Travis34
04-20-2011, 02:46 PM
I mean, I get the logic behind it, but yeah I'd be a little weirded out too with a little guy pretending in that situation

napsndreds
04-20-2011, 02:49 PM
Daboll convincing anyone he is an irate reciever demanding the ball is weird. Daboll seems like a joke waiting to be exposed.

yardlaw
04-20-2011, 02:56 PM
How come they didn't ask him if his mama is a whore?

fatkirstyalley
04-20-2011, 03:00 PM
I cant wait for the day our Front Office doesnt do something that is A.) completely unnecessary B.) Cringe worthy and embarrassing. Boy that will be the day

tylerdolphin
04-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I think my reaction to that and a real situation involving a teammate wanting the ball would be totally different.

GRYPHONK
04-20-2011, 03:15 PM

You could use that same logic and apply it to combines and workouts then... Game play is the only way to trukly gauge spped, quickness, decision making, accuracy etc....

Plus was this our testing method or Dabolls? If it's Dabolls we don't know if his testing is a failure or not.

It just seems like people are gonna gripe about anything this FO does.

This is really not much different then when Gruden sits down with QB'S shows them film and asks them what they would do in that situation. Just as irrelevant, but people think it's great.

Whether people like it or not, role play ) even if not convincing like Daboll as a huge irate WR) is a very effective for of analyzing

GRYPHONK
04-20-2011, 03:17 PM
I think my reaction to that and a real situation involving a teammate wanting the ball would be totally different.

It always will be different.

The whole key and point is not to see how the person reacts to the situation. Anyone can fake.

It really is designed to see how quickly someone can and will react to a situation.

SkapePhin
04-20-2011, 03:23 PM
I like their due diligence in this situation. They obviously feel that Marshall was too much for Henne to handle. They are trying to make sure whichever QB they get is an alpha-type guy who can take command and put Marshall and others in their place.

Anyone who is complaining about this is a fool, imo.

phintim
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM

Hey I hear what your are saying but if I am drafting a rookie with Marhsall on my team I would sure want to make sure he could handle the diva reciever. Now I am not saying their method of handling that situation was the correct way but it certianly needed to be addressed.

Wildbill3
04-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey I hear what your are saying but if I am drafting a rookie with Marhsall on my team I would sure want to make sure he could handle the diva reciever. Now I am not saying their method of handling that situation was the correct way but it certianly needed to be addressed.
wow. a common sense post without drama. kudos. (no sarcasism intended)

napsndreds
04-20-2011, 04:23 PM

I wouldnt even consider Marshall a diva reciever. The guy works hard, and pretty much ever wr is gonna ask their qb to throw them the ball if they are any good. Every team has this issue not just teams with diva wrs. How frustrating is it to be open and your qb cant seem to connect accurately. Im sure Dalton has dealt with players asking him to throw them the ball in college so this question whether a qb can handle someone telling them to throw the ball is moot.

tylerdolphin
04-20-2011, 04:26 PM
I understand the reasoning and really dont care if they do it. I just dont think it has any real application. Dalton reacting to Ireland yelling and cursing has zero to do with him reacting to Marshall IMO.

Vaark
04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
While I can understand the rationale behind this exercise, there are more effective and dignified ways to go about eliciting his reaction - ask any skilled news or job interviewer. This is pretty silly but even more troubling is that they're going to these extremes with a QB who'd seem to be a reach at #33, let alone at #15. Just draft Mallett ferheavensake.

BobDole
04-20-2011, 04:49 PM
I understand the reasoning and really dont care if they do it. I just dont think it has any real application. Dalton reacting to Ireland yelling and cursing has zero to do with him reacting to Marshall IMO.

i get the logic behind it - even if the application doesn't apply. he wanted to see how he would handle it - regardless of its real world counterpart. if he was freaked out and slumped in his chair - then maybe this guy doesn't have the grapefruits to handle a psycho like marshall. i think they were looking for him to fire right back or smile or what have you - basically not be intimidated by a close encounter such as this.

it was a weird way to elicit a reaction - but i can dig it. you get a very short time to gather a ton of information about someone you're about to give boatloads of money to - might as well see what they're made of.

but i hate it in the sense that we're wasting time finding out how QBs can handle marshall when there's SO many other things that are paramount to this in finding out if a QB can hack it in the NFL. it's hard enough to find a QB that can make it in the pros as it is w/o having to add an extra obstacle course to the gauntlet.

phintim
04-20-2011, 04:58 PM
I wouldnt even consider Marshall a diva reciever. The guy works hard, and pretty much ever wr is gonna ask their qb to throw them the ball if they are any good. Every team has this issue not just teams with diva wrs. How frustrating is it to be open and your qb cant seem to connect accurately. Im sure Dalton has dealt with players asking him to throw them the ball in college so this question whether a qb can handle someone telling them to throw the ball is moot.
I agree with you that Dalton has had guys ask him to throw them the ball. I agree that Marshall works hard too but Marshall is not a guy who asks for the ball to be thrown his way he pretty well demands or throws a bit of a tirade. As far as Henne hitting Marshall with the ball that certainly did not happen every time BUT Marshall had his share of drops last year that really cost us a couple of games. IMO

napsndreds
04-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Futhermore if your going to approach a candidate with this kind of interview tactic what would be an acceptable response from Dalton? Shut up you piece of **** number 31st ranking offensive coordinator? Or it's ok mr. Marshall next play I will throw u the ball I am sorry?

SkapePhin
04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Futhermore if your going to approach a candidate with this kind of interview tactic what would be an acceptable response from Dalton? Shut up you piece of **** number 31st ranking offensive coordinator? Or it's ok mr. Marshall next play I will throw u the ball I am sorry?

The correct response is to focus and make the correct read regardless of the dude bitchin for the ball on every play. THAT is what they were testing for. It is also precisely what seemed to plague Henne last year. He couldn't focus on making a correct read while trying to appease Marshall. He sometimes made throws he shouldn't have because of pressure form Marshall.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

FYI, this wasn't done during the INTERVIEW process, but rather when Dalton was working out with them. This was done on the PRACTICE field - an entirely different beast than a sit-down interview.

phintim
04-20-2011, 05:56 PM
I am not going to attempt to defend Irelands delievery of dealing with the Marshall situation it just to open for everyoned different opinion. Still if any team/ company is going to offer someone a million dollar salary they certainly be wise to throw as much adversial situations at their canidates as they are able to measure those canidates reasctions to stressful situations they are likly to encounter. You may have an issue with Irelands handling or delivery of the situation of how to handle a guy like Marshall but it would certainly be unwise of the team not to make inroads to discover how well their canidates might melt under pressure. As far as Daltons reponse just put your self in his shoes. He pretty much knows he is not a top 15 canidate and maybe even fall down to the 3rd round so he has millions riding on his response. So unless he is not thinking clearing he is going to tell them what they want to hear not what he might want to say and take the money. After he has the money is when he might consider giving them a piece of his mind as you suggested. In the meanwhile he takes it and considers it comes with the territory.

HurriPhin
04-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Yeah, but did we find out if Dalton's mom is a prostitute?

Roonnette
04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
This is no big deal. Dalton was very timid in interview with Gruden, seems quiet and a bit introverted. So they tested him to see if he can stand his ground. No biggy.

flynryan15
04-20-2011, 06:02 PM
This is ridiculous Henne made the bad read because that is what Henne does! He has been doing it ever since his freshman year at Michigan.

Jesus don't the excuses for this regime get old? It was Jason Browns fault. How dare he not sign for what they thought he is worth?!?! This regime knows olinemen so get Grove. How dare Calvin Pace go to the Jets who made him a better offer and made him feel wanted. Damn you Jason Taylor for enjoying your off season, gee they aren't trashing Hienz Ward in Pittsburgh! Ignore the fact that Parcells played those very games with every team leader at every stop he made in the NFL. Hey Dez **** up our glorified talent scout of a GM has every right to attack your personal life, for actions that are outside your control. Who the hell is this Ryan Clark to feel insulted? I mean years of tape and evidence of him playing with his blood disease mean nothing because the Steelers decided to rest him for a meaningless game in Denver! HOW DARE he not bow down to Jeff Ireland and his long established list of accomplishments? And finally wtf Dalton you better listen do Brian Daboll and play his baby games! Don't you realise the pressence of NFL greatness before you? This guy is such a powerful offensive mind he can thumb his nose at Mike Holgrem's advice!

New year same excuses! It is everyone's fault, but the front office and staff! Yeah I know I am a bad fan because I point out the failures!

rent this space
04-20-2011, 06:35 PM
I have no problem with this, in fact, it sounds like Dalton failed the test. it's good to know if doesn't think fast.
also, I wonder what Mallet would do in that situation? I bet he wouldn't studder and stammer his response...

X-Pacolypse
04-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Daboll sucks.

Jersey DolFan
04-20-2011, 06:46 PM
this is SUPER CORNY AS HELL. buttt . . i'd like to point to something interesting about this - THEY obviously dont think that Henne could handle this and did not. i think that says a TON about this staff's opinion on Henne. geez this is f'n STUPID though.

i also saw mallet in some interviews etc. i think this kid has a hell of a swagger. i like him. way more animated and way more personality than Henne.

DefensiveEnd76
04-20-2011, 07:06 PM
I could see Daboll trying to act like a DIVA Receiver and doing a sissy fist pump in front of Dalton. The whole thing is dumb as hell. What other NFL team has interviews that are that fricken dumb??!!

Skree
04-20-2011, 07:24 PM
You wanna know why this crap doesnt work? This staff hasnt hit on any particular player of greatness yet except big Jake and even that is debatable. Who taught these guys how to recruit and interview is beyond me. This approach doesnt work, we have nothing to show for this kind of approach.Even though Wake was not taken in the draft, you suppose he did not have an interview and was not recruited ?

The only way that "test" would have been weird was IF they had not given it at least some minimal set up. Just "sprung" on you would be weird, imo.

If f-bombs and MF's are all he has to deal with in the pro's it will be a miracle. This is an adult league. I guarantee you if I thought I had not done well on a "test" I would have called it "weird", IF I was stupid enough to talk about anything negative while I was trying to get drafted.

If he was being a professional he should have kept his f*****g mouth shut and took the coaching. He should be grateful someone gave him some realistic warning of what he could face as a pro.

In other words he should be learning and eager to do it. If I'm another coach out there I see this and I go, "well dude you just failed that test". Whereas if he had said, "you know it was weird, but looking back I can see I can now be better prepared". Then if I'm another coach I say, "passed, this kid is coachable, he gets it".

Skree
04-20-2011, 07:27 PM
How come they didn't ask him if his mama is a whore?Cuz he didn't tell them his daddy was a pimp and his momma worked for his daddy ? Just guessing

Thanks for bringing up a prime example of why you keep your mouth shut with anything negative in this process, unless you are immature.

Nawledge
04-20-2011, 07:51 PM
i dont get why all you guys are making such a big deal about this...its something hes going to have to deal with if we draft him and they want to see if he can handle it properly. Its the offseason and i know you guys need something to b*tch about but this isnt nearly as big of a deal as your making it out to be.

finfan54
04-20-2011, 08:10 PM
they trade down and draft mallett i'll just forget this crap...for a while.

slider732
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
I want Iwovemyboys opinion on this matter. I bet she thinks Thigpen would have handled the situation quite well.

Mr772
04-20-2011, 09:19 PM
They just wanted to get into his head make him uncomfortable and see how he handles it. I like it, I think it's creative and I don't see a problem with it. Sounds like it worked very well, Dalton admited he didn't handle it well. Coaches and GM got to see him under pressure, see how he does under stress.

JerryD
04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
It all boils down to one thing ... if this produces SUCCESS

This is the "YEAR of IRELAND", Ireland has unprecedented power to lead most team decisions (granted by Ross) ... no Tuna calling shots, Tony has been Harbaugh-emasculated.

We should have a hint by the middle of this season if Ireland is any good ... and we should know by the middle of next season.

What Ireland does will be judged on his SUCCESS ... either a dope whore-screamer ... or a genius innovator loading us with talent.

Just a personal observation ... these teams come up with looney-toon selection criteria ... then turn right around & draft fools, losers, turds, criminals, & thugs. The NFL Mantra is "Take MY Advice, I DON'T use it"

CANDolphan
04-20-2011, 09:30 PM
This isn't that nuts. A team asked Bowers if he preferred BBQ cooked on gas or charcoal... and this was a legitimate question.

fin13
04-21-2011, 05:44 AM
Even though Wake was not taken in the draft, you suppose he did not have an interview and was not recruited ?

The only way that "test" would have been weird was IF they had not given it at least some minimal set up. Just "sprung" on you would be weird, imo.

If f-bombs and MF's are all he has to deal with in the pro's it will be a miracle. This is an adult league. I guarantee you if I thought I had not done well on a "test" I would have called it "weird", IF I was stupid enough to talk about anything negative while I was trying to get drafted.

If he was being a professional he should have kept his f*****g mouth shut and took the coaching. He should be grateful someone gave him some realistic warning of what he could face as a pro.

In other words he should be learning and eager to do it. If I'm another coach out there I see this and I go, "well dude you just failed that test". Whereas if he had said, "you know it was weird, but looking back I can see I can now be better prepared". Then if I'm another coach I say, "passed, this kid is coachable, he gets it".

I agree, he should have kept his mouth shut instead he goes crying to the press.
Peter King looks like a fool now no way you draft a ***** like Dalton.