PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallet Skips meeting with Panthers after late night out

NYPhin24
04-20-2011, 12:43 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Mallett-skips-out-on-meeting-with-Panthers.html

This should be fun......

"Mallett met team officials for dinner April 8, the day he arrived in town, but meetings the next day at Bank of America Stadium were cancelled after Mallett called and said he was sick, multiple sources told the National Football Post."

"Complicating the matter is the fact sources said Mallett was seen out on the town late following the dinner. Off-field questions have followed Mallett every step of the process since he announced he was leaving school in January with eligibility remaining."

datruth55
04-20-2011, 12:49 PM
So you're telling me that Mallet went out partying in Charlotte but when he came to meet the Dolphins he didn't party it up in South Beach enough to call in sick? I call bull crap on this story and more sensationalism by journalist who are trying to find something to attract people to their columns. I'm no Ryan Mallet fan...at all...but I'm not buying this story.

Wildbill3
04-20-2011, 01:01 PM
he doesn't want to get drafted by the panthers. no big deal. and going and seeing them is a waste of time wouldn't you agree? no way he goes with the first.

datruth55
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
he doesn't want to get drafted by the panthers. no big deal. and going and seeing them is a waste of time wouldn't you agree? no way he goes with the first.

Why wouldn't you want to be the #1 overall pick and get all the possible cash you can possibly get? Ron Rivera has been around Phillip Rivers for a long time...a pure pocket passer like Mallet. If you impress the coach and GM enough they'll make you the number 1 overall pick...just ask Alex Smith. I don't see someone missing out on an opportunity to make more money.

Elliott 1
04-20-2011, 01:12 PM
God Bless Ryan Mallett.

If this is true, IF; then the implications are ominous.

The trip to Carolina was the ticket to fame and fortune for Ryan. 1st player chosen. Glory and endorsements. Huge salary even if there is a cap.The excitement and pressure would have been enormous.

This is the very kind of situation where someone with a problem could lose control. I hope the report is false.

Yessir
04-20-2011, 01:14 PM
Not buying it.

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-20-2011, 01:15 PM
So much crazy posturing this close to the draft. Maybe when he met them the day he flew in he wasn't very impressed with THEM. Who knows at this point, the smokescreens are crazy.

miamiron
04-20-2011, 01:42 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/redflags-1.jpg

Statler Waldorf
04-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Why wouldn't you want to be the #1 overall pick and get all the possible cash you can possibly get? Ron Rivera has been around Phillip Rivers for a long time...a pure pocket passer like Mallet. If you impress the coach and GM enough they'll make you the number 1 overall pick...just ask Alex Smith. I don't see someone missing out on an opportunity to make more money.

Don't the Panthers have the 1st pick of the second round? I think that is the one they would take Mallet with if he slides, not their 1st.

beanh8er
04-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Don't the Panthers have the 1st pick of the second round? I think that is the one they would take Mallet with if he slides, not their 1st.

They do not.

datruth55
04-20-2011, 01:51 PM

Don't think Mallet will last to the 2nd unless the rumors of drug addiction are true. Even if that were the case there have been no reports this year of players failing the drug test at the combine unlike the previous two years.

Wildbill3
04-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Why wouldn't you want to be the #1 overall pick and get all the possible cash you can possibly get? Ron Rivera has been around Phillip Rivers for a long time...a pure pocket passer like Mallet. If you impress the coach and GM enough they'll make you the number 1 overall pick...just ask Alex Smith. I don't see someone missing out on an opportunity to make more money.right because gabbert sure has a lot of red flags that would make him undraftable with the 1st pick. Mallet will NOT be the 1st QB taken this year ... thus = Carolina trip = worthless waste of time. almost like going to bob doles house to get a beer, you know you ain't gonna find any. whatever dude.

Aqua and Orange
04-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Sounds crazy, but this report is a perfect way for the Panthers to protect themselves if they draft another QB and Mallett becomes the best player in this draft class.

Not every team is in deception mode. Some of the more beleaguered teams are in self-preservation mode.

Elliott 1
04-20-2011, 02:18 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/reports-ryan-mallett-skipped-panthers-visit-after-late-night-out/related

Scroll down for the agent rebuttal.

The reports of him being out late could be false.

NYPhin24
04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
right because gabbert sure has a lot of red flags that would make him undraftable with the 1st pick. Mallet will NOT be the 1st QB taken this year ... thus = Carolina trip = worthless waste of time. almost like going to bob doles house to get a beer, you know you ain't gonna find any. whatever dude.

Although highley unlikely, could Carolina be looking to trade down a few spots, grab their defensive player they need, and still remain in the top 10, while regaining their 2nd round pick they lost to the Patriots? If they beleive in Mallet they can let another team trade up that is drooling for Newton or Gabbert, then the Panthers can get their defensive player they desperately need, take Mallet or maybe Locker who knows, it doesnt even have to be Mallet, and regain a 2nd round pick and possible more, while still having Clausen?

The draft is a toss up, its like trying to predict a perfect bracket in the NCAA tourney

yardlaw
04-20-2011, 02:28 PM
At least he called in sick :chuckle:

datruth55
04-20-2011, 03:17 PM
right because gabbert sure has a lot of red flags that would make him undraftable with the 1st pick. Mallet will NOT be the 1st QB taken this year ... thus = Carolina trip = worthless waste of time. almost like going to bob doles house to get a beer, you know you ain't gonna find any. whatever dude.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you would have said Aaron Rodgers is way better than Alex Smith in 2005 I would have agreed with you...the 49ers didn't see it that way.

RockyMtnPhinfan
04-20-2011, 03:34 PM
God Bless Ryan Mallett.

If this is true, IF; then the implications are ominous.

The trip to Carolina was the ticket to fame and fortune for Ryan. 1st player chosen. Glory and endorsements. Huge salary even if there is a cap.The excitement and pressure would have been enormous.

This is the very kind of situation where someone with a problem could lose control. I hope the report is false.

This is a crazy post....don't know how else to say it.....

Here.........
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/agents-panthers-respond-to-mallett-report/

The Panthers back the story up......

Nublar7
04-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Sure sounds like a franchise QB. The next Marino! :bobdole:

Ed Norton
04-20-2011, 03:55 PM
This is a lot like the stock market. 1st it seems like Cam Newton is going top 10 then he tanks on Gruden's show. Never mind Cecil and the stolen laptop. Mallet is the best passer in the draft, then he is a 2nd rounder, then a drug addict off boards completely, then the Titans want him and the Skins and Vikings. The draft is manic depressive! If only you could buy and sell options on these players in the weeks before the draft. I'm glad to see his stock dropping again heading into draft day! I was hoping to see some negative crap on Mallet before the draft. I was really scared he would be gone before the 15th pick.

SkapePhin
04-20-2011, 03:59 PM
The Panthers corroborated Ryan Mallett's and his agent's story that Mallett was genuinely ill and was in bed at 10PM. He came down for a schedule breakfast and was told to stay in his room as long as he was sick and the Panthers cancelled the visit because Mallett was schedule to fly out later.

Some one REALLY wants to ruin this poor guy. Or a team in the later rounds want him to fall so they can get him.

UHHS
04-20-2011, 04:00 PM
Do not blame the kid. If I had to interview with an organization such as Carolina I would have showed up drunk as hell so they would never call me ever again.

Elliott 1
04-20-2011, 04:01 PM
This is a crazy post....don't know how else to say it.....

Here.........
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/agents-panthers-respond-to-mallett-report/

The Panthers back the story up......

I already posted that link in post # 14. Whats your problem?

TedSlimmJr
04-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Do not blame the kid. If I had to interview with an organization such as Carolina I would have showed up drunk as hell so they would never call me ever again.

Probably why Nick Fairley chose to "blow off" that optional dinner with Sparano/Ireland, etc..

What exactly was he going to miss out on? Jeff Ireland asking if his mother was a prostitute, followed by a Sparano fistpump after Fairley acknowledges that he's not going to finish his salad?

emeraldfin
04-20-2011, 04:32 PM
Surely he could not be that stupid to miss a meeting with the team picking 1st overall, with little more than 2 weeks to the draft...because of a hangover.

Makes zero sense.

rev kev
04-20-2011, 04:42 PM
The Panthers corroborated Ryan Mallett's and his agent's story that Mallett was genuinely ill and was in bed at 10PM. He came down for a schedule breakfast and was told to stay in his room as long as he was sick and the Panthers cancelled the visit because Mallett was schedule to fly out later.

Some one REALLY wants to ruin this poor guy. Or a team in the later rounds want him to fall so they can get him.

Ya but but... did he get sick naturally or did he pound a 2 pound bag of M&Ms - that spells trouble

Vaark
04-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Between Andrew Luck bypassing a guaranteed kings ransom and the way Jerry Richardson disrespected and belittled Brees and Manning, it's likely that Malllett, to paraphrase Bob Dylan "didn't need a weatherman to know which way the wind's blowing." He probably heard all he needed to during the dinner.

BobDole
04-20-2011, 05:25 PM

and to who would you be referring with that reference? :ponder:

HurriPhin
04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/04/normal_CocaineRickJames-1.jpg

Clipse
04-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Who the **** is Brad Biggs, and why should I believe this story. "sources" he says. What sources. Sources from teams trying to hurt Mallett's draft stock so he can fall to them? I doubt this Brad Briggs guy has any real sources.

X-Pacolypse
04-20-2011, 06:38 PM
It's not true.

ckparrothead
04-20-2011, 08:01 PM
This whole episode is a perfect example of the things we found when we looked deep into Mallett's character history.

A whole lot of people trying to make something out of nothing.

Adam First
04-20-2011, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxFGhQsaSwI

Sounds like Mr. Mallett is thinking ahead

Yessir
04-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Personally, I don't care if Ryan Mallet is out there banging seven gram rocks with Charlie Sheen. Can he throw the skinny post to Brandon Marshall for a 40 yard touchdown? That's all I care about.

Cali Finfan
04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
He might have really been sick... Or maybe he really has no interest in playing for the Panthers... I would not read too much into this story... Watch what happens over the next few days... If he was really sick he will meet with them agian in the next couple of days... If he was blowing them off or sick due to a late night than he will not meet with them again...

rev kev
04-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Personally, I don't care if Ryan Mallet is out there banging seven gram rocks with Charlie Sheen. Can he throw the skinny post to Brandon Marshall for a 40 yard touchdown? That's all I care about.

Spoken by a fan who hasn't had a reason to celebrate for 30 years

Spesh
04-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Someone already posted the link, but i just wanted to post the actual text of it.

Mallett has now responded, through his agents. In addition to the comments from J.R. Carroll to Adam Schefter (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/20/agent-mallett-really-sick-in-bed-by-10-before-canceled-panthers-visit/), Mark Humenik of Athletes First has forwarded to PFT a written statement from Carroll and David Dunn. Here it is, in its entirety.
“There is absolutely no truth to the unfounded and irresponsible report that Ryan skipped his visit with the Carolina Panthers on April 9 because he was too sick after a late night out on the town the previous night. Rather, Ryan had dinner with club officials from the Panthers on the evening of April 8 and then returned to his hotel that evening along with Julio Jones (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=6475). Ryan and Julio were together the entire time that evening until Ryan and Julio turned in for the night around 10:00 — 10:30 pm.
“Upon returning to his hotel room, Ryan became ill and was up most of the night and into the morning with flu-like symptoms. Keep in mind that this was Ryan’s fourth team visit in the previous week and that Ryan had crisscrossed the country with stops in Cincinnati, Fayetteville, Seattle, Fayetteville again and Minneapolis before Charlotte. Nevertheless, Ryan met with Panthers representatives on the morning of April 9 as scheduled and informed the club at that time that he was extremely sick. Carolina officials decided to send Ryan back to his hotel room for some medicine and additional rest in hopes that they could meet with Ryan later that morning. Ryan did as instructed and contacted Panther officials later that morning to resume his meetings with club officials. However, given that Ryan was still sick, Carolina officials decided to cancel the remainder of Ryan’s visit with the team.”
The Panthers have corroborated that version of the events, in an e-mail to PFT: “Ryan Mallett came for a visit to Charlotte two weeks ago. He had dinner with our coaches the evening he arrived and came down from his hotel room for a scheduled breakfast meeting the following morning upon which time he informed a staff member that he had been sick all night with nausea. We told Ryan that if he was ill to remain in his room as long as the nausea existed. We took him to the airport later that afternoon for his scheduled flight.”

Its sickening(see what i did there) that people jump to conclusions about having a stomach flu. People want this guy to fail so bad it hurts.

finfan54
04-20-2011, 09:00 PM
people are evil. plain and simple.

Bonedoc7777
04-20-2011, 09:50 PM
what would joe namath have done with this crap, he liked the ladies a little no?

MadDog 88
04-20-2011, 11:47 PM
It's this type of sensationalism that portrays just how much the media has turned into a tabloid industry speculating on BS regardless of who is hurt. A shame that they are not held accountable for garbage like this to make them think twice about writing it.