PDA

View Full Version : If teams believe FSU QB Christian Ponder can stay healthy, he could go high

DKphin
04-20-2011, 04:34 PM
The most important evaluation for Florida State's Christian Ponder at February's NFL Scouting Combine wasn't the 40-yard dash, vertical jump or the passing drills.
It happened, instead, in the doctor's office, where Ponder's shoulder and elbow were examined time and again by NFL physicians to see if he had recovered fully from his injuries.
Ponder certainly has the makeup to succeed in the NFL. A three-year starter at Florida State and a two-year captain, Ponder has impressed teams with his intelligence (Wonderlic score: 35), his accuracy (68.8 completion percentage in 2009) and his experience in FSU's pro-style offense during the pre-draft process.
Ponder, who completed 62.1 percent of his passes while throwing 48 touchdowns and 28 interceptions in his three seasons as a starter.
Ponder, who draws comparisons to former Dolphins quarterback Chad Pennington because of his accuracy and intelligence, could possibly go as high as the back end of the first round.
"There's a lot of up-side here," said former NFL head coach Jon Gruden, now an ESPN analyst. "He's got the aptitude to learn, he's got the leadership traits you want, and he's got a lot of playing experience."
But the Pennington comparisons are two-fold - Ponder, like Pennington, has a troubling injury history and questions about his arm strength that have scouts wondering if he can survive in the NFL.
"He looked great throwing in shorts and a T-shirt, and he looked great at the Senior Bowl, when no one can hit him," said Tony Pauline, draft expert for Sports Illustrated. "But that's not the issue with him. The first time he gets hit, is he going to be out for the rest of the season? Or do you chalk the last two seasons up to bad luck?"
Ponder suffered a season-ending separated shoulder in the ninth game of the 2009 season, leaving scouts concerned about his arm strength.
In 2010, he suffered a forearm injury in the sixth game against Miami, in which tissue separated from his muscle and formed a pocket of fluid when he landed on it. He would get the forearm drained during the week and be ready to play on Saturday, only to have the injury reoccur each game.
But Ponder is confident that the forearm injury is behind him.
"Throughout the whole process, scar tissue had built up, and that was what was impeding it from healing," said Ponder, 23. "But the doctors went in and cut out all the scar tissue and did some other stuff to heal it. Now it's fine."
Whether he can stay healthy in the NFL is a question that won't be answered until the fall."He's an interesting guy," ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper said. "I could make an argument for him to be a second-round pick, and I could make an argument for him to be a fifth-round pick. I wish he had been able to stay healthy throughout the whole year."
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/seminoles/if-teams-believe-fsu-qb-christian-ponder-can-1420495.html

ckparrothead
04-20-2011, 04:42 PM
I'd love a Ryan Mallett pick. I could get behind a Christian Ponder pick. I would hope for the best with a Colin Kaepernick pick. I give up if we pick Andy Dalton.

SR 7
04-20-2011, 04:46 PM
For me its Mallet or Bust. Ponder I think is giong to help run this FO out the door. I say this because I am not a Pennington supporter nor a fan of and he reminds me too much of Pennington. Manning coming out had quesiton marks about Arm Strength but his Arm was a lot stronger than Ponders is and those question marks were there. Thanks, but NO thanks.

SCOTTY
04-20-2011, 04:47 PM
If we are going for the risk/reward pick: I don't like either but would rather swing and miss on a guy like Mallett than Ponder. To me the risk is the same but a hit on Mallett could mean Superbowl. No way Ponder leads any team to the promise land.

newlownorder
04-20-2011, 04:51 PM
To me its Mallett or Ponder or it will be a disappointment.

ckparrothead
04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
If it's Kaepernick, I won't be behind it, but I could still be optimistic. A lot like Henne was for me back in 2008.

DKphin
04-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I'd love a Ryan Mallett pick. I could get behind a Christian Ponder pick. I would hope for the best with a Colin Kaepernick pick. I give up if we pick Andy Dalton.Where is Peter King getting his insight from? I, like you, would find it hard to support anything this organization does if they make another boneheaded decision in the draft!:err:

BobDole
04-20-2011, 05:12 PM
gigantic pass for me on ponder - even w/o the injury issues. watched every one of his games at FSU - i don't think he's got the arm to not be in a west coast offense. saw a lot of chris leak in his play over the past few years - way too much air under the ball more often than not.

Aqua and Orange
04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
I would like Mallet. Mallet is gone, I'd like to get Ponder.

If, in some insane universe neither of those players are there at 15, I would trade down again and again and keep loading up on picks.

Mr. Magoo
04-20-2011, 05:53 PM
Ponder is my #2 QB, behind Gabbert. So I would be very pleased to land him.

SammySmif
04-20-2011, 05:54 PM
I'd rather have Dalton and Ponder than Mallet. I have been on the Ponder train a long time though if you look at my posts. I am not going to jump in with the status quo here and agree but usually at the end of the draft, those same people were not nearly correct in their predictions.

X-Pacolypse
04-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Mallett or bust.

HurriPhin
04-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I like Ponder but I love Ingram.

Aqua and Orange
04-20-2011, 06:41 PM
It's funny. We each have our favorite QB prospects, some want RB...heck, there are even some of us that want a speed WR or highly touted D-lineman with the pick.

But more tinkering with the O-line at 15 seems to rub EVERYONE the wrong way. Pouncey at 15 is still what I think they will do if unable to trade down. I hope I'm wrong.

X-Pacolypse
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
It's funny. We each have our favorite QB prospects, some want RB...heck, there are even some of us that want a speed WR or highly touted D-lineman with the pick.

But more tinkering with the O-line at 15 seems to rub EVERYONE the wrong way. Pouncey at 15 is still what I think they will do if unable to trade down. I hope I'm wrong.

Think about it. Look at all the money, and picks have been invested in the OL and that guido meatball who is allegedly an offensive line "guru" still can't get it right. Any fan of a team would be frustrated by that.

Aqua and Orange
04-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Think about it. Look at all the money, and picks have been invested in the OL and that guido meatball who is allegedly an offensive line "guru" still can't get it right. Any fan of a team would be frustrated by that.

Oh I very much agree, X. There are only so many times they can reconstruct that line before it becomes apparent that all the coaching in the world means squat if the eye for talent they have is trash.

DAFINZ
04-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Over the past month, my hopes for Dolphins first pick (always lower than the current 15th spot) in the draft has been fluctuating from Ingram to Pouncey to now settling down on Ponder. I thought maybe Ponder could be had in 2nd round and maybe he still can, but I would rather we drop down in the 20s and get another pick (prob another 3rd rd pick) and then draft Ponder. I would even say that if we cant find a trading partner and the FO has checked out Ponder's health, then grab him at 15. I'm really hoping we get this kid.

j-off-her-doll
04-21-2011, 11:26 AM
I'd love a Ryan Mallett pick. I could get behind a Christian Ponder pick. I would hope for the best with a Colin Kaepernick pick. I give up if we pick Andy Dalton.

I'd be a little more optimistic about landing Ponder, but aside from that, those are pretty much my exact sentiments.

Aqua and Orange
04-21-2011, 11:35 AM
I'd be a little more optimistic about landing Ponder, but aside from that, those are pretty much my exact sentiments.

Agreed. I think barring injury, which is a concern for any football player really, Ponder has all of the tools to one day be one of the best QBs in the league. I was extremely impressed watching tape of him looking off defenders and confusing defenses. You know a prospect has talent when you find yourself saying, "I wish our current QB could do that."

spydertl79
04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
The Pennington comparisons are just flat wrong. Pennington never had the athleticism or arm strength that Ponder has.

Aqua and Orange
04-21-2011, 11:53 AM
The Pennington comparisons are just flat wrong. Pennington never had the athleticism or arm strength that Ponder has.

True, and conversely Ponder's accuracy is nowhere near Pennington's. Chad's accuracy is historic while Ponder's is merely on a good track.

Funny to hear so many try to forecast a player's career before it has even started.

ckparrothead
04-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Where is Peter King getting his insight from? I, like you, would find it hard to support anything this organization does if they make another boneheaded decision in the draft!:err:

I *hope* he's basing it exactly as he says, on the reports he got of the nature of Dalton's unique interview.

Aqua and Orange
04-21-2011, 12:06 PM
I *hope* he's basing it exactly as he says, on the reports he got of the nature of Dalton's unique interview.

...which would, in my opinion, make Dalton more the target in a trade down scenario than at 15. I think King got the interest correct, just not the draft spot.

OrlandoFin
04-21-2011, 12:15 PM
True, and conversely Ponder's accuracy is nowhere near Pennington's. Chad's accuracy is historic while Ponder's is merely on a good track.

Funny to hear so many try to forecast a player's career before it has even started.

I understand what you are saying, but going off the college stats Ponder completion % isn't that far off from Pennington at 65% to 62%. If you want to look at it a little closer Ponder's best year was 68.8% and Pennington's was 67.9. Accuracy really sin't as far off as you might think. Throw in the Ponder never had a caliber of receiver that Randy Moss was in college to throw to either.

I know you like Ponder, so don't take me wrong, was just pointing out the accuracy in college is pretty close. Now Pennington in the NFL is a different story and we'll just have to see how it pans out.

OrlandoFin
04-21-2011, 12:16 PM
...which would, in my opinion, make Dalton more the target in a trade down scenario than at 15. I think King got the interest correct, just not the draft spot.

I think you are spot on there.

Aqua and Orange
04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
I understand what you are saying, but going off the college stats Ponder completion % isn't that far off from Pennington at 65% to 62%. If you want to look at it a little closer Ponder's best year was 68.8% and Pennington's was 67.9. Accuracy really sin't as far off as you might think. Throw in the Ponder never had a caliber of receiver that Randy Moss was in college to throw to either.

I know you like Ponder, so don't take me wrong, was just pointing out the accuracy in college is pretty close. Now Pennington in the NFL is a different story and we'll just have to see how it pans out.

Agreed. You beat me to the NFL vs college point, so overall a very good post.