PDA

View Full Version : TCU's Andy Dalton visited with Miami

Nawledge
04-20-2011, 06:38 PM
not sure if this has already been posted, it says the article was published today (4/20/11)

Former TCU quarterback Andy Dalton (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Andy_Dalton_%28football%29) was quite busy during one particular weekend earlier this month.
Dalton was scheduled to meet with the Miami (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Miami) Dolphins on April 3.

According to SI.com's Peter King (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Peter_King), four days before the scheduled interview, the Dolphins sent Dalton a portion of their playbook, with their 100-odd formations — motions and shifts and protections, route trees for the receivers.

He was told to learn as much as possible by 10 a.m. Sunday.

It was also reported that Dalton had sessions with the Cowboys all day Friday, April 1.

After his time with the Cowboys, Dalton attended a rehearsal dinner for a friend's wedding and the wedding the following night. King reported that he woke early Saturday and crammed all day, and on Sunday morning his fiancée drove him to campus so he could spend another hour studying in the car.

When he finally met with Miami offensive coordinator Brian Daboll (http://topics.dallasnews.com/topic/Brian_Daboll), Dalton was grilled on different offensive formations

"Dalton thinks he aced those tests," King stated.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110420-andy-dalton-visits-cowboys-gets-home-work-from-dolphins.ece

X-Pacolypse
04-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Dalton sucks.

flynryan15
04-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Daboll griling him on formations had to be a tough test! This is a young kid he probably has never seen the Power I, Full House, Wing T, 3 te double FB Tackle eligible, and Wishbone formations that make up Dabolls playbook! Oh and the wildcrap

Nawledge
04-20-2011, 07:09 PM
this was in this weeks sports illustrated...

Miami offensive coordinator Brian Daboll stood in front of Dalton with a magnetic board, with six magnets emblematic of skill players. He'd call out "flex right," and Dalton would have to place the magnets in the proper positions on the board. He was also tested on certain calls. Dalton thinks he aced those tests.

Then the coaches told him they wanted to see how he'd handle certain off-field situations, like a receiver who thinks he's not getting the ball enough and storms into a meeting room. Daboll then burst through the door, playing the part. "He was yelling at me pretty loud about not getting the ball," Dalton says. "I said, 'Ill take a look at that...All right, all right!' I dont think I handled that too well, but i know i can when it happens. But the situation was a little weird."

And Peter King has Dalton going to us at 15 too....

flynryan15
04-20-2011, 07:16 PM

Checkout the Miami Dolphins Strange Interview Process thread

TedSlimmJr
04-20-2011, 07:29 PM

Disregarding that Andy Dalton is a mid-round quarterback prospect, the fact that Daboll even mentions a "flex" formation here to Dalton is the lone silver lining. It means you're not going to see 2 receiver routes being run constantly.. you're going to see 3 WR sets and/or an offensive that features an H-Back in single back sets...

The philosophy alone is a substantial upgrade over what you've seen out of Dan Henning..

Cali Finfan
04-20-2011, 08:15 PM
Disregarding that Andy Dalton is a mid-round quarterback prospect, the fact that Daboll even mentions a "flex" formation here to Dalton is the lone silver lining. It means you're not going to see 2 receiver routes being run constantly.. you're going to see 3 WR sets and/or an offensive that features an H-Back in single back sets...

The philosophy alone is a substantial upgrade over what you've seen out of Dan Henning..

We can at least hope and pray right????

Dolphin39
04-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I would NEVER draft Dalton at 15!

Bonedoc7777
04-20-2011, 09:03 PM
if he can play pick him, we need a QB that has the IT

flynryan15
04-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Wait I thought everything this regime does in the off season is smoke and mirrors?

GMET1986
04-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Honestly, if he is the guy do it....personally I dont think he is going to be...If I were GM my draft and Offseason would go as follows:
FA: DeAngelo Williams RB, Davin Joseph OG, Shaun Phillips LB

1st Rd: Ryan Mallet QB, Arkansas
3rd Rd: DeMarco Murray RB, Oklahoma, Kendall Hunter RB, Okl. State, or Shane Vareen RB, California (IN THAT ORDER)
4th Rd: D.J. Williams TE, Arkansas
5th Rd: Aldrick Robinson WR, SMU
6th Rd: Ross Homan LB, Ohio State
7th: Jordan Cameron TE, USC
7th: Kris O'Dowd C, USC
7th: John Clay RB, Wisconsin

dolpns13
04-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh great.. well draft him or someone just as crappy to compete with our incumbent crap

datruth55
04-21-2011, 09:29 AM

In a normal draft I would have put Dalton in the 4th or 5th round and I'm one of the few around here that actually likes Dalton as a QB prospect for us. 15th overall is just ridiculous.

The labor dispute has put a twist on the whole draft and the fact that they adjourned until May 16th means no undrafted free agents will be signed, draft picks won't be participating in those first couple of mini camps cause there won't be any mini camps and free agency may not happen at all if this thing stretches into July. Teams with the most stability, which is not the Dolphins, will have a huge advantage with a shortened training camp heading into the season.

DAFINZ
04-21-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm not as sour on Dalton as others on here. I don't think Fins should draft him at 15, but I do like Dalton after Ponder and Mallet and I would be ok if Dalton was drafted in the 2nd round.