PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins could face quarterback quandary in draft

FinAtic8480
04-21-2011, 12:08 AM
• In a draft with seven or eight well-regarded quarterback prospects and a big drop-off after them, this much has become clear: If you assume Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton will be long gone, and if the Dolphins do not take a quarterback such as Arkansas’

Ryan Mallett at No. 15, then their chance of landing anyone in this draft who can eventually challenge Chad Henne diminishes dramatically unless they trade for a pick late in the first or early in the second round, perhaps by moving down from 15.

Of the top eight quarterbacks, only Iowa’s Ricky Stanzi might be available when Miami next picks at 79, according to most projections. NFL Network’s Mike Lombardi is “convinced” Mallett will go in Round 1, between 1 and 20. Mallett, Washington’s Jake

Locker (the only one Miami didn’t work out), TCU’s Andy Dalton, FSU’s Christian Ponder and Nevada’s Colin Kaepernick might all be gone by the late 30s or sooner.

Who is best in that tier after Newton/Gabbert/Mallett/Locker? Mel Kiper Jr. says Dalton; Mike Mayock says Dalton and Ponder are even. But ESPN’s Todd McShay and analysts Russ Lande (Sporting News) and Tony Pauline (Sports Illustrated) say Kaepernick has the most upside.

“Even though Ponder is too fragile, he’s more NFL ready than Kaepernick, and maybe the Dolphins feel they would get earlier returns from him,” Pauline said. “But Kaepernick might be a better player in two or three years.”

The Dolphins have met three times with Kaepernick — though Jeff Ireland didn’t attend his private workout — and like the skill set. (He’s the only Division 1 player to achieve the career combo of 10,000 passing and 4,000 rushing yards.) “He has the size, speed and strong arm, but he doesn’t have the sound fundamental mechanics you want coming into the league,” Kiper said. “There’s so much work that has to be done with the young man,’’ Mayock said.

The Dolphins are intrigued by Dalton — enough to arrange a second private meeting on short notice. Peter King’s mock draft has Miami picking Dalton at No. 15 — earlier than most predict.

“He’s only 6-2 with a three-quarters delivery,” Kiper said. “He’s had some passes batted down. But he’s smart, a winner, accurate, can throw on the run. He has a chance to be as good as any quarterback in this draft.”

Though some say he would be best in a West Coast-style offense, ESPN’s Jon Gruden said: “Dalton can play in any offense. I’ve seen him be an accurate passer down the field.”

Gruden called Ponder “a great leader” and an “accurate intermediate passer” but “you’d like to see a little more arm strength.” Kiper, noting his completion percentage “went way down” on third downs, said: “I would think somebody takes Ponder and hopes he can be like Chad Pennington.”

As for Stanzi, Kiper said he’s the “best value” and a likely fourth-rounder: “Good pocket passer. He’s going to be a starter — give him three years.”

Stanzi has qualities the Dolphins like: three years starting in a major conference, accuracy (64.1 percent as a senior), good size (6-4), intelligence and experience running a pro-style offense. But Lande cautions, “He threw passes into the ground in front of receivers” at the Combine and some evaluators wish he had more zip on downfield throws.

Among late-round prospects, the Dolphins had private workouts with Virginia Tech’s Tyrod Taylor, California University’s (Pa.) Josh Portis and FAU’s Jeff Van Camp, but not Idaho’s Nate Enderle or Delaware’s Pat Devlin.
“The perception is that Taylor can only be a scrambling quarterback, and I think that’s a bit unfair,” Mayock said.
Other late-round prospects: Wisconsin’s Scott Tolzien, Alabama’s Greg McElroy, North Carolina’s T.J. Yates,Kentucky’s Mike Hartline and Fresno State’s Ryan Colburn.

• The Dolphins, who worked out Illinois’ Mikel Leshoure (one of the draft’s top three backs) on his campus, also asked him to come to team headquarters, but he could not because his schedule was too hectic. The Dolphins privately worked out most running-back prospects, including Virginia Tech’s Ryan Williams (who has gotten very good feedback from Miami) and Alabama’s Mark Ingram, but have invited only a few to South Florida for additional meetings, including Kansas State’s Daniel Thomas, Eastern Washington’s speedy Taiwan Jones and Louisville’s Bilal Powell.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/20/2175850_p2/miami-dolphins-likely-wont-get.html#ixzz1K7xnyjmq

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/20/2175850/miami-dolphins-likely-wont-get.html#ixzz1K7wkuItY

JCane
04-21-2011, 12:10 AM
After seeing the brutal schedule that we're up against if indeed we do have football this season, the Dolphins would be complete retards to draft a QB from this watered-down class.

We could easily hold out next season for Andrew Luck.

Therefore, I fully expect us to go full-retard (as usual) and **** it up by drafting someone like Mallett.

:woot:

FinAtic8480
04-21-2011, 12:13 AM
I would love for them to take Gabe Carimmi or Mike Pouncey, but have them taking Mallet. We'll see.

footsteps_falco
04-21-2011, 12:29 AM
I would be happy if we got Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, Christian Ponder, Greg McElroy, Tyrod Tyalor, Nathan Enderle, Ricky Stanzi, Jeff Van Camp

justdev7
04-21-2011, 04:28 AM
It's crazy how guys shoot up and down draft boards based on everything except for how they play in football games. That is what we're drafting players for right? To play football. All of a sudden dalton is a possible first round pick and mallet could be a 2nd rounder. It just sounds so ridiculous to say out loud. I need the draft to happen tomorrow because all this speculation is too much.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

finfan54
04-21-2011, 06:18 AM
mel kiper can suck it

finfan54
04-21-2011, 06:20 AM
i am kinda hopin we can trade down get a 2nd and take the 360 lb G/T from TCU think im crazy? your damn right i am!!!!!

BARF
04-21-2011, 06:33 AM
we need o line in the first round, qb could come in the second

Roonnette
04-21-2011, 07:37 AM

Dumbest comment ever.

JayFin327
04-21-2011, 08:06 AM
we need o line in the first round, qb could come in the second

We tried that already with Long and Henne.....

datruth55
04-21-2011, 09:12 AM
If Todd McShay says Colin Kaepernick has the most upside that's reason enough for me not to draft him. That fool also said that Jake Long would never be a left tackle in the NFL.

JCane
04-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Dumbest comment ever.

+1

JerryD
04-21-2011, 10:15 AM
I would like to take a flyer on QB Stanzi with a low-round pick.

No one talks about him much as he doesn't have NFL Metrics ... but all he does, is WIN FOOTBALL GAMES.

i.e. Stanzi single-handedly skinned Gabbert & MO in the bowl game!! Skinned quite a few good teams with an average team behind him.

I can't predict the future or who will become an NFL QB ... but if you want to get lucky, you have to MAKE YOUR LUCK & gamble on these kind of guys.

DolfanTimothy
04-21-2011, 10:29 AM
We are drafting Ryan Mallet.. trust me!!

Aqua and Orange
04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Stanzi has qualities the Dolphins like: three years starting in a major conference, accuracy (64.1 percent as a senior), good size (6-4), intelligence and experience running a pro-style offense.
They forgot to mention the most important quality the Dolphins like:

His 4th round grade would allow the Dolphins to continue their 12 year run of hoping a marginal talent will magically transform into a beautiful unicorn at the QB spot.

spiketex
04-21-2011, 11:37 AM
After seeing the brutal schedule that we're up against if indeed we do have football this season, the Dolphins would be complete retards to draft a QB from this watered-down class.

Therefore, I fully expect us to go full-retard (as usual) and **** it up by drafting someone like Mallett.

I disagree. If they find a QB prospect with big upside, we need to take him. Risk vs return. High risk in drafting QBs but if you get the right one, there is the potential for high return.
I hope Henne improves but we need a backup plan and if that is Ponder or Mallett or Dalton or Kaepernick or even TJ Yates in the 5th round, then so let it be. Time to roll the dice next week. I hope that Ireland doesn't freeze up and just play it too safe. Very happy that they are taking the time to analyze all QB prospects, carefully.

JerryD
04-21-2011, 11:38 AM

His 4th round grade would allow the Dolphins to continue their 12 year run of hoping a marginal talent will magically transform into a beautiful unicorn at the QB spot.

You're spot on ... BUT, that's true of everyone in the draft, especially all Lower Rounders.

We need a QB, so I wouldn't mind taking one High & Low & a couple Undrafted Free-Agents ... QB is a crap shoot, even in the First Round (still only a probability of success, but much higher.)

If we really want a QB & I believe its 100% unanimous for team & fans ... gotta roll those dice & NOT just depend on one guy!!

j-off-her-doll
04-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I would like to take a flyer on QB Stanzi with a low-round pick.

No one talks about him much as he doesn't have NFL Metrics ... but all he does, is WIN FOOTBALL GAMES.

i.e. Stanzi single-handedly skinned Gabbert & MO in the bowl game!! Skinned quite a few good teams with an average team behind him.

I can't predict the future or who will become an NFL QB ... but if you want to get lucky, you have to MAKE YOUR LUCK & gamble on these kind of guys.

Do you actually believe this?

Aqua and Orange
04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
You're spot on ... BUT, that's true of everyone in the draft, especially all Lower Rounders.

We need a QB, so I wouldn't mind taking one High & Low & a couple Undrafted Free-Agents ... QB is a crap shoot, even in the First Round (still only a probability of success, but much higher.)

If we really want a QB & I believe its 100% unanimous for team & fans ... gotta roll those dice & NOT just depend on one guy!!

True. We both appear to agree on one key component: that if Stanzi is a Dolphins target, it has to be combined with an higher drafted QB. The organization continues to promise competition for Henne...and a 4th rounder is simply not good enough to deliver on that promise.

More than anything, I just hope this team isn't getting duped that a free agent deal is all but done for a QB. Teams are spreading misinformation everywhere and the free agency status is alarmingly bad at this point. I say take that gamble with the RB position if you have to, but QB is too important of a position to pray another Pennington falls in their laps late in the process.

matt11390
04-21-2011, 01:14 PM

The only way Miami could draft Luck would be if they are picking 1 or 2. Not going to happen.

Show Me Your TDs
04-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Unfortunately you are correct. Lets hope for the best this year.

ReppinThe941
04-21-2011, 01:30 PM
i am kinda hopin we can trade down get a 2nd and take the 360 lb G/T from TCU think im crazy? your damn right i am!!!!!
Marcus Cannon

Ed Norton
04-21-2011, 02:26 PM
It seems almost too good to be true that all those teams needing QBs in front of Miami are either not going to take one in the 1st round or pick Newton, Gabbert, or Locker instead of Mallet. I think most of us will be going nuts if Mallet is still on the board when the Dolphins pick.

I don't want a game manager I want somebody that can sling it. The Dolphins are pretty much screwed if Mallet is off the board but if he is still there he must be the pick.

Aqua and Orange
04-21-2011, 02:55 PM
It seems almost too good to be true that all those teams needing QBs in front of Miami are either not going to take one in the 1st round or pick Newton, Gabbert, or Locker instead of Mallet. I think most of us will be going nuts if Mallet is still on the board when the Dolphins pick.

Well said. It is going to be an incredibly interesting 14 picks before Miami does the annual breaking of our hearts.

X-Pacolypse
04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
I would love for them to take Gabe Carimmi or Mike Pouncey, but have them taking Mallet. We'll see.

No more cornfed lineman. For godsakes invest in a first round quarterback for a change!