PDA

View Full Version : Rules for Madden Season

Prime Time
01-02-2004, 11:28 PM
The rules are as follows:
I welcome any input you may have to help make this league better. The more ideas we have the smoother it will all run in the end.

Basically we're just trying to have a league where we can compete with other human players in much the same way that you would play a regular season on Madden 2004. I don't think it's hard to figure out what is fair and fun. But just so we have some guidlines, here goes.

1. NO substituting players into positions that they do not play. ex. moving a wide receiver into a tight end spot, or a linebacker into a kick returners place. You CAN switch rbs, wrs and dbs into the pr position.

2. NO more than one audible is allowed per play. We don't want people messing others up by constantly calling audibles to get the defense out of position. That is cheap. Also if you have called a 5 receiver set. You MUST STAY in that formation. You can not audible out cause this will put a wr at rb. Same goes for Quarter and Nickel defenses as they may put faster dbs in spots on the d-line.

2a. Hurry-up offense is only allowed in the final 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter, anytime in the 4th quarter or anytime when trailing by more than 14 pts.

3. You can not move a player back to block on punt returns prior to the ball being snapped.

4. If the game should happen to disconnect we will follow the following guidelines:

1st quarter disconnection - restart game

2nd quarter disconnection - restart game (unless one team ahead by more than 14, in this case record statistics up to that point, then play 3 quarters of a new game and add statistics together).

3rd quarter disconnection - record statistics, play half of a new game, add statistics together

4th quarter disconnection - if team up by 21 or more points the game is over and record statistics, otherwise record statistics, play one final quarter, team who had the ball when disconnection occurred has to receive the ball to start the quarter. Add statistics together.

5. Do not quit! If your opponent quits report it immediately as it is grounds for expulsion from the league. It will not be tolerated.

6. Do not kill the clock early. You can kill the clock in the final minute of the first half. And final 2:30 of the game or sooner if the other team has used all its timeouts.

7. Fake punts/fgs. Only 1 fake allowed per game.

8. 4th down gambles. Once you've passed mid-field you are free to gamble on 4th down if you have 5 or less yards to go. However once you've reached your opponents 25 you must kick a field goal if:
a. you are winning and have more than 1 yard to go.
b. you are trailing and have more than 3 yards to go.
However, if you are trailing in the 4 quarter you are free to gamble whenever.

Any time you've reached 4th down but haven't reached mid-field you must punt unless you are trailing in the 4th

9. Goal-line offense may be used on 3rd or 4th downs with under 3 yards to go (legally). Or when killing the clock (legally).

10. Basically play in a manner that you would want your opponent to play. We're all just here to have fun, eh!

Please be sure to check out the statistical information link for more important information.

TerryTate
01-02-2004, 11:32 PM
I disagree with the inside the 35 yard FG rule....

what if you have a wind going against you at like 10 mph? are you really gonna kick the FG?

I say inside the 30

Prime Time
01-02-2004, 11:38 PM
How about 25. 25 +17 = 42 yarder which is average kick. So we say 25 :)

Dolfan984
01-02-2004, 11:41 PM
25 sounds good to me.

Prime Time
01-02-2004, 11:47 PM
I think we should stick this :)

Bazy, TT...someone please :)

Predaphin
01-03-2004, 01:53 AM
lol,hmmmm, those rules look familiar....

How about since this is our first tryout league, why dont we just play....."anything goes".

mee
01-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by Predaphin34
lol,hmmmm, those rules look familiar....

How about since this is our first tryout league, why dont we just play....."anything goes".

Yeah, I think there should be some kinda grey area ... for example sometimes I will accidently run the hurry-up by jumping too late w/ a WR. I don't think I play "cheap". But occasionally I will break one of those rules.

Baz
01-03-2004, 02:52 AM
Too many rules IMO. I think people can play how they want. If someone wants to use a quarter defense all game, then let them. They'll be the ones getting run all over......

iceblizzard69
01-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Prime Time
The rules are as follows:
I welcome any input you may have to help make this league better. The more ideas we have the smoother it will all run in the end.

Basically we're just trying to have a league where we can compete with other human players in much the same way that you would play a regular season on Madden 2004. I don't think it's hard to figure out what is fair and fun. But just so we have some guidlines, here goes.

1. NO substituting players into positions that they do not play. ex. moving a wide receiver into a tight end spot, or a linebacker into a kick returners place. You CAN switch rbs, wrs and dbs into the pr position.

2. NO more than one audible is allowed per play. We don't want people messing others up by constantly calling audibles to get the defense out of position. That is cheap. Also if you have called a 5 receiver set. You MUST STAY in that formation. You can not audible out cause this will put a wr at rb. Same goes for Quarter and Nickel defenses as they may put faster dbs in spots on the d-line.

2a. Hurry-up offense is only allowed in the final 2 minutes of the 2nd quarter, anytime in the 4th quarter or anytime when trailing by more than 14 pts.

3. You can not move a player back to block on punt returns prior to the ball being snapped.

4. If the game should happen to disconnect we will follow the following guidelines:

1st quarter disconnection - restart game

2nd quarter disconnection - restart game (unless one team ahead by more than 14, in this case record statistics up to that point, then play 3 quarters of a new game and add statistics together).

3rd quarter disconnection - record statistics, play half of a new game, add statistics together

4th quarter disconnection - if team up by 21 or more points the game is over and record statistics, otherwise record statistics, play one final quarter, team who had the ball when disconnection occurred has to receive the ball to start the quarter. Add statistics together.

5. Do not quit! If your opponent quits report it immediately as it is grounds for expulsion from the league. It will not be tolerated.

6. Do not kill the clock early. You can kill the clock in the final minute of the first half. And final 2:30 of the game or sooner if the other team has used all its timeouts.

7. Fake punts/fgs. Only 1 fake allowed per game.

8. 4th down gambles. Once you've passed mid-field you are free to gamble on 4th down if you have 5 or less yards to go. However once you've reached your opponents 25 you must kick a field goal if:
a. you are winning and have more than 1 yard to go.
b. you are trailing and have more than 3 yards to go.
However, if you are trailing in the 4 quarter you are free to gamble whenever.

Any time you've reached 4th down but haven't reached mid-field you must punt unless you are trailing in the 4th

9. Goal-line offense may be used on 3rd or 4th downs with under 3 yards to go (legally). Or when killing the clock (legally).

10. Basically play in a manner that you would want your opponent to play. We're all just here to have fun, eh!

Please be sure to check out the statistical information link for more important information.

I suggested some of these rules but they are a little ridiculous. First of all, if you have 4th and 1, you should be allowed to go for it. I don't want people going for it on 4th and 10 on their 20 yard line, but if it is 4th and inches I don't see what the big deal is.

Also, I don't kick field goals unless I am really close because I suck at them, so the field goal rule is a little ridiculous.

I don't think there is anything wrong with killing the clock.

The "one audible" rule is stupid. Sometimes people just call the wrong audible.

Dolfan984
01-03-2004, 02:18 PM
I think there should be a few ammendments.

1) You can go for it on 4th and 1 or closer.

2) You can aubible more than once if you mess up, just don't let it happen too much. More of an honor system. Still, multiple aubiles is cheap.

3) Killing the clock while in the third quarter is lame. Maybe extend it to the beginning of the fourth quarter.

4) I agree that you should be able to do anything on defense that you want.

5) About the hurry up offense, read #2 of what I said. Just try and not be cheap about it. :)

6) A FG from the 25 yardline is a 43 yarder. Ice, you have Vanderjact, it should be automatic for you. :P Practice with minicamp if you need practice. :)

Prime Time
01-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Exactly...those are the rules. They should not be too hard to get use to :)

Predaphin
01-03-2004, 05:38 PM
984's rules are easy and cool to abide by....lets make em official.

Prime Time
01-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Okay, we will follow Preda's rules :) Those are the official rules :)

As well as this one

Besides the Subs you can make with the 0 button, you cannot do Chris Chambers as the TE etc.

Preda, I hope you play straight up and not play the way you usually play. Let's see how good you really are ;)

iceblizzard69
01-03-2004, 07:50 PM
Ok, what about defenses? I think you should be able to play whatever defense you want whenever you want.

Also, if you are in "four down territory" (opponents 40 to 30 yard line) you should be allowed to go for it on 4th down no matter what.

Prime Time
01-03-2004, 07:53 PM
Yes, you can run any Defense you want at any point of the game.

Dolfan984
01-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Look at the rules I ammended. Those are in effect too. Made them a little more reasonable.

iceblizzard69
01-04-2004, 12:09 AM
What about four down territory? If I am on the 35 yard line I am not going to punt but I am not going to kick a field goal either.

Also, here is another rule that I think should be considered. If you are in a 4 WR set, you should be allowed to audible into a 2 WR set if you are running the ball. I know it violates the no WR as a TE rule but if you do this you are at a disadvantage in terms of blocking, not an advantage.

Dolfan984
01-04-2004, 01:05 AM
It's the 25, not the 35 Ice. You have Vanderjact. :P

iceblizzard69
01-04-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Dolfan984
It's the 25, not the 35 Ice. You have Vanderjact. :P

Yeah, I know. I am talking about if I am on the 35 yard line. If it is 4th and 10, the field goal is too long, but punting isn't an option either.

Dolfan984
01-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Punting is an option at the 35 yardline.

iceblizzard69
01-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Dolfan984
Punting is an option at the 35 yardline.

Yeah, if you're Dave Wannstedt. :(

Dolfan984
01-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Well if you can't make a FG, wouldn't you rather punt that give the ball up at the 35?

Prime Time
01-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Add to the rules this rule...

1. Motion Rules - DO NOT DO IT TO GET THE DEFENSE OUT OF POSITION. That is cheap and cheesy. Motion when you feel necessary, but NOT to get Defense out of position.

iceblizzard69
01-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Prime Time
Add to the rules this rule...

1. Motion Rules - DO NOT DO IT TO GET THE DEFENSE OUT OF POSITION. That is cheap and cheesy. Motion when you feel necessary, but NOT to get Defense out of position.

What kind of rule is that? That's pretty lame.

I use motion on passing plays to get a certain amount of guys on each side. I also use motion sometimes to see if my opponent is playing man or zone. I use motion on running plays because if I only used motion on passing plays than it would be obvious what I am doing.

There shouldn't be a rule against using motion.

Dolfan984
01-04-2004, 07:23 PM
No, we're talking about doing it every single play. Every single play, it moves DB to the side of the other DB, so you have your two CBs on one side and only 1 WR on the same side. Basically taking advantage of cpu flaws.

Predaphin
01-04-2004, 07:38 PM
Why dont we just make 1 rule ....."predaphin has to lose".....it helps out and you wouldnt have to be busting your brain.

TerryTate
01-04-2004, 07:57 PM
Predaphin just needs to play fair, thats all....you will win if you have an advantage....if you notice, there are no other major violators of the rules at this time....