PDA

View Full Version : Manning

pats4life
01-04-2004, 08:41 PM
FYI, during the forth quarter of the Colts Broncos game the CBS sideline reporter read a statement from the colts owner stating that Peyton will be back with the colts next season and if required they will franchise tag him and deal with the salary ramifications at that time he said that Peyton deserves to be one of the highest paid players and will be with the Colts, I just want to make this point to a few people that said they would not TAG Manning.

finattic79
01-04-2004, 08:43 PM
Yeah, heart sank a little when I heard that. Oh well was nice to dream about getting him. But from the sounds of it he isn't going anywhere soon.

akfinfan
01-04-2004, 08:58 PM
I still want to know how they are going to afford him.

rafael
01-04-2004, 09:09 PM
I think Cincy made a similar statement last year about Spikes.

FinFrenzy
01-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by rafael

They did...

Phinzone
01-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Yep, and if I were manning i'd be mad about this.

They failed to wrap up his contract showing that he's the most important player on their team before, and during this long season.

They pulled him before he could break the record today, they just let him tie it (though I think it was a sportsman like move to do so, it would make me mad if I were going to break it and my coach pulled me in the 4th)

They in essence just said no matter what he wants, he's not going anywhere.

VanDolPhan
01-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Good luck. They haven't been able to get a deal done till now and they think they can carry an $18 cap charge? Ouch.

PhinsTD
01-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Wanting to break records sure isn't sportsmanlike. I broke alot of records in school and never knew it until someone else told me about it. I'm sure Peyton didn't know what the record was.

I've conceded for a while now we wouldn't get Peyton, but even if they DO tag him I'd still give up the two picks to sign him if I had to.

Phinzone
01-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by PhinsmissedFG
Wanting to break records sure isn't sportsmanlike. I broke alot of records in school and never knew it until someone else told me about it. I'm sure Peyton didn't know what the record was.

I've conceded for a while now we wouldn't get Peyton, but even if they DO tag him I'd still give up the two picks to sign him if I had to.

That's a coach decision not Peytons. Tell me, if you had a chance to break the post-season passing TD record in a single game, wouldn't you like to? I sure would.

At least NC state let Rivers BREAK his records (most passing yards, and TD"s in the tangerine bowl) before they pulled him.

There is no way that Peyton ddint' know he was on the verge of breaking the record. He was mad that they took him out before he tied the record on 4th and short to kick a field goal.

seble24
01-04-2004, 11:31 PM
If a player is that worried about breaking records I don't want him on my team. I don't think Manning is like that.

Phinzone
01-05-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by seble24
If a player is that worried about breaking records I don't want him on my team. I don't think Manning is like that.

Get real, football is a business. He broke many franchise records today. Had he been allowed to score one more TD he would have set another NFL record that could be used as leverage come re-signing time........oh wait...it IS re-signing time for him!...imagine that.

"well we like Payton and all, he's a good QB, hasd 3 consecutive 4k yard seasons and all, but his playoff record is sub par. One win out of three so far"

Rebuttal "yeah, but he almost set an NFL record in that game for most TD's thrown in a post season game"......

instead it's

"yeah, but we kicked their butts"

Is manning pissing and moaning about it? not yet, if he does he'll probably never go public with it, but there's something called incentive and leverage. A single game NFL TD record against a playoff calibre team is one hell of an accomplishment.

Samphin
01-05-2004, 04:28 AM
I don't think Manning would complain about winning his first NFL playoff game and in the fashion they did. :lol: However, I like how you try to plant the seeds of doubt, perhaps we should hire you as an undercover to get in Peyton's head? :lol:

I think they will resign him, have thought so all along. I just think it is going to cost them some players and quality ones at that, which will in turn, waken their team greatly. However, that is their decision to make.

MïâMì-Ðø|ƒäÑ
01-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Samphin
I don't think Manning would complain about winning his first NFL playoff game and in the fashion they did. :lol: However, I like how you try to plant the seeds of doubt, perhaps we should hire you as an undercover to get in Peyton's head? :lol:

I think they will resign him, have thought so all along. I just think it is going to cost them some players and quality ones at that, which will in turn, waken their team greatly. However, that is their decision to make.

very true, but releaseing manning would probably equally bad for them.

Section126
01-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Keeping Manning means losing Pollard, Edge, and Meadows on Offense and replacing them with minimum salary players and not to mention losing Wayne next season.......AND THEN Manning has to agree to sign.............He is as good as gone.....If he wants to win.............

Superself
01-05-2004, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Section126
Keeping Manning means losing Pollard, Edge, and Meadows on Offense and replacing them with minimum salary players and not to mention losing Wayne next season.......AND THEN Manning has to agree to sign.............He is as good as gone.....If he wants to win.............

This is not true. He is not as good as gone. You are weighing your opinion too heavily on the unknown.
Ever heard of restructuring contracts?
:rolleyes:

The only way they win is with Manning. The crowd and city are behind him....it would be akin to Miami losing Marino in his prime.

Section126
01-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Hey Superself, where have you been? Send your verdict on each of the five counts to Muck........

Read through the trial thread.

DeDolfan
01-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by pats4life
FYI, during the forth quarter of the Colts Broncos game the CBS sideline reporter read a statement from the colts owner stating that Peyton will be back with the colts next season and if required they will franchise tag him and deal with the salary ramifications at that time he said that Peyton deserves to be one of the highest paid players and will be with the Colts, I just want to make this point to a few people that said they would not TAG Manning.

I would imagine that peyton's new deal is already written and waitin' for his sig at the very first moment FA starts. Otherwise, if there is not already a verbal agreement between them, it would be foolish to think they would not tag him.

pats4life
01-05-2004, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by DeDolfan

I would imagine that peyton's new deal is already written and waitin' for his sig at the very first moment FA starts. Otherwise, if there is not already a verbal agreement between them, it would be foolish to think they would not tag him.

Plus not really sure where all this specualtion about him leaving has come from, I have not seen or read anything about him wanting to leave and just the reverse he has said many times that he wants to bring a super bowl champion to Indy.

Section126
01-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by pats4life

Plus not really sure where all this specualtion about him leaving has come from, I have not seen or read anything about him wanting to leave and just the reverse he has said many times that he wants to bring a super bowl champion to Indy.

The speculation comes from him turning down the richest contract extension in NFL history.

Cranx
01-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by chambers84
I still want to know how they are going to afford him.

They will most likely release Edge and restructure some existing contracts which will create enough room to sign Manning...

...We're talking about a good LB here vs. arguably the best QB in the game right now so I'm quite sure your argument here carries no wieght. Manning WILL REMAIN A COLT until he either retires or gets old and is of no use to them anymore (if he wins a SB with them he will be a Colt for life...count on it.)

All of you who believe that Manning will become a FA in some form or fashion are flat out deceiving yourselves. One of the announcers for the Indy game made a good point yesterday when he brought up the notion that has been espoused by many that the Colts couldn't afford to keep Manning when he said the Colts "...couldn't afford to not keep him."

Franchise QB's come along very rarely, and HOF QB's even less so, so there should not even be any speculation here (other than pipe dream notions) that Manning will leave Indy; he's there for the long run no matter what.

rafael
01-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Cranx

They will most likely release Edge and restructure some existing contracts which will create enough room to sign Manning...

...We're talking about a good LB here vs. arguably the best QB in the game right now so I'm quite sure your argument here carries no wieght. Manning WILL REMAIN A COLT until he either retires or gets old and is of no use to them anymore (if he wins a SB with them he will be a Colt for life...count on it.)

All of you who believe that Manning will become a FA in some form or fashion are flat out deceiving yourselves. One of the announcers for the Indy game made a good point yesterday when he brought up the notion that has been espoused by many that the Colts couldn't afford to keep Manning when he said the Colts "...couldn't afford to not keep him."

Franchise QB's come along very rarely, and HOF QB's even less so, so there should not even be any speculation here (other than pipe dream notions) that Manning will leave Indy; he's there for the long run no matter what.

Nobody said Manning is leaving for sure or even that its likely, but it is certainly a possibility. He has already turned down a huge extension. To pay him more or even franchise him Indy will have to start cutting people. At some point it no longer makes sense.

The whole thing comes down to Manning. If he wants to stay, he will. If he wants to leave, Indy won't be able to stop him. The fact that he has been turning down extensions for two seasons raises a question. That's all anybody is saying.

DeDolfan
01-05-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Cranx

Yup, they'll have to do some mAJOR restructuring to get it done but that's what the nfl has become today. The only way Manning does leave is if he wants to or the Colts want him to. IMO, neither will happen, particularly from the Colts side anyway.

DeDolfan
01-05-2004, 04:36 PM

Nobody said Manning is leaving for sure or even that its likely, but it is certainly a possibility. He has already turned down a huge extension. To pay him more or even franchise him Indy will have to start cutting people. At some point it no longer makes sense.

The whole thing comes down to Manning. If he wants to stay, he will. If he wants to leave, Indy won't be able to stop him. The fact that he has been turning down extensions for two seasons raises a question. That's all anybody is saying.

How much were the extentions worth? If i were a player like Manning, i wouldn't sign an early extention cuz he may lose $$$, especially if he keeps improving. He has an has the whole team in their best position in eons and that says alot. Now he'll be able to command more via FA. Was it a good move for him? Yes, in hinsight, but was it a smart one? Probably not considereing the risks he took, ie career ending injuries perhaps and the like. Sure it was a gamble of sorts but the dude came up with a royal straight flush !!

Bumrush
01-05-2004, 05:35 PM
I can't believe they would let him go. Not after the season he has put up, his character and the simple fact that he is a future HOF quaterback. Imagine the uproar if the Phins traded Marino or cut him loose when he was in his prime. Manning will only get better, and letting him go would be the worst PR move in the history of the NFL, regardless of the cap problems it may cause them.

But its nice to dream :)
Peyton was perfect yesterday and I hope he can win a Super Bowl one day.

rafael
01-05-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by DeDolfan

How much were the extentions worth? If i were a player like Manning, i wouldn't sign an early extention cuz he may lose $$$, especially if he keeps improving. He has an has the whole team in their best position in eons and that says alot. Now he'll be able to command more via FA. Was it a good move for him? Yes, in hinsight, but was it a smart one? Probably not considereing the risks he took, ie career ending injuries perhaps and the like. Sure it was a gamble of sorts but the dude came up with a royal straight flush !!

He may have not signed the extensions b/c he wanted more money. That's a possibility. It is also a possibility that he didn't sign b/c he wasn't sure he wanted to stay. I don't know the reason. Only Manning does. I just have a problem when people say something will NEVER happen. I would bet that almost every surprising thing that has ever occurred was preceded by someone saying that will never happen.

DeDolfan
01-06-2004, 10:58 AM

He may have not signed the extensions b/c he wanted more money. That's a possibility. It is also a possibility that he didn't sign b/c he wasn't sure he wanted to stay. I don't know the reason. Only Manning does. I just have a problem when people say something will NEVER happen. I would bet that almost every surprising thing that has ever occurred was preceded by someone saying that will never happen.

I share your "problem" as well.