PDA

View Full Version : Marshall Guitar Amp Wont Turn On!!!

Tunaphish429
05-12-2011, 08:56 AM
So one of my friends was going to let me borrow his Marshall guitar head...So I went out and bought a cab..Well the head does not work...Sucks does not even turn on...Anyone know what it could be?

Its a solid state 100 Watt amp

Locke
05-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Check any fuses it might have. Chances are that's whats going on. If it's not that, you'll probably need to take it to a professional to get looked at. Anything else is most likely electrical...

Tunaphish429
05-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Check any fuses it might have. Chances are that's whats going on. If it's not that, you'll probably need to take it to a professional to get looked at. Anything else is most likely electrical...

Yea I hope its just fuses..Otherwise maybe too costly to fix.

Locke
05-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Yea I hope its just fuses..Otherwise maybe too costly to fix.

It shouldn't be too much. I don't know about where you are, but there are a sh*tload of mom and pop guitar shops around here. I blew a head mid-show once, which sucked, but was awesome because it means we were rocking too hard. Took it to one of these shops and they fixed it for something like 60 bucks. If you take it to one of those huge retail instrument shops though, you'll pay out your ***...

Tunaphish429
05-12-2011, 02:19 PM
It shouldn't be too much. I don't know about where you are, but there are a sh*tload of mom and pop guitar shops around here. I blew a head mid-show once, which sucked, but was awesome because it means we were rocking too hard. Took it to one of these shops and they fixed it for something like 60 bucks. If you take it to one of those huge retail instrument shops though, you'll pay out your ***...

Well its not my head, its my friends but me using it is contigent on him getting it to work..Lol...His father is an electrical engineer so he thinks he can look at it and fix it...If not I just hope he gets it fixed cause I just went out and bought this cab..and I dont wanna have to spend more cake on head.

Locke
05-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Well its not my head, its my friends but me using it is contigent on him getting it to work..Lol...His father is an electrical engineer so he thinks he can look at it and fix it...If not I just hope he gets it fixed cause I just went out and bought this cab..and I dont wanna have to spend more cake on head.

Are you just starting guitar? Or are you just now considering playing in a band? Just goofing around with it in your free time? I only ask because if it's something you plan to do regularly, I'd definitely say you should look into getting one. I kept borrowing equipment when I was a poor college kid, and it sucks bad. We had to play an acoustic set once because the dude who was going to lend me his stuff backed out on me at the last minutes. You can get a respectable head used pretty cheap. Hell, I can't even count how often I saw old equipment in garage sales. The high fail rate of garage bands is good news for those of us who who don't suck I guess. It's a good investment for any musician who is serious about playing...

Valandui
05-12-2011, 03:20 PM
That sucks man. That's why it always helps to have a backup, which of course isn't always financially doable. My main amp is an Ampeg SVT450H, but I have an SWR Workingman's 2004 as a backup. Just be glad you don't play bass, because everything involved with that seems to be twice as expensive.

Tunaphish429
05-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Are you just starting guitar? Or are you just now considering playing in a band? Just goofing around with it in your free time? I only ask because if it's something you plan to do regularly, I'd definitely say you should look into getting one. I kept borrowing equipment when I was a poor college kid, and it sucks bad. We had to play an acoustic set once because the dude who was going to lend me his stuff backed out on me at the last minutes. You can get a respectable head used pretty cheap. Hell, I can't even count how often I saw old equipment in garage sales. The high fail rate of garage bands is good news for those of us who who don't suck I guess. It's a good investment for any musician who is serious about playing...

I have played since I was around 14, just started playing in a band tho recently..I have a Peavy Revolution but its old and sounds like crap when I turn it up..I was hoping to bring it home just so I could jam home and use his head/cab..The Peavy sounds ok for light use..But my other guitarist has a half stack so he drowns me out...So our bassist was like hey I got this you should use just get a cab so I did.. I have been looking at used heads as well.. and new ones..Just dont feel like spending the money if i dont have to..I just got a brand new Fender Jag...Mexican HH...Pretty sick got for my birthday.. We are planning to record pretty soon so I will post it once were done..

Locke
05-12-2011, 03:33 PM
I have played since I was around 14, just started playing in a band tho recently..I have a Peavy Revolution but its old and sounds like crap when I turn it up..I was hoping to bring it home just so I could jam home and use his head/cab..The Peavy sounds ok for light use..But my other guitarist has a half stack so he drowns me out...So our bassist was like hey I got this you should use just get a cab so I did.. I have been looking at used heads as well.. and new ones..Just dont feel like spending the money if i dont have to..I just got a brand new Fender Jag...Mexican HH...Pretty sick got for my birthday.. We are planning to record pretty soon so I will post it once were done..

Nice man, what genre of music do you guys play?

I played guitar in a punk band for a few years. I had to quit once I started grad school, which lead to the band breaking up. I still feel like sh*t over it, but we were never going to get signed. I had to be realistic. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it though. I might pick it back up once I finish this program and have more free time...

Locke
05-12-2011, 03:38 PM
That sucks man. That's why it always helps to have a backup, which of course isn't always financially doable. My main amp is an Ampeg SVT450H, but I have an SWR Workingman's 2004 as a backup. Just be glad you don't play bass, because everything involved with that seems to be twice as expensive.

Probably because most bass players suck balls. They need more expensive equipment to cover up the lack of talent. I swear, everywhere I go I see some douchebag 18 year old kid with a Bieber-cut butchering a bass. Good bass players are few and far between. I figure it's because if you're a good bass player, that means you'd be a good guitar player, so they just play that since it's more glamorous.

FYI, I know they are more expensive because the lower octaves the bass plays in requires bigger tubes and tougher plastic. I just felt like venting about bad bass players...

Valandui
05-12-2011, 03:46 PM
Probably because most bass players suck balls. They need more expensive equipment to cover up the lack of talent. I swear, everywhere I go I see some douchebag 18 year old kid with a Bieber-cut butchering a bass. Good bass players are few and far between. I figure it's because if you're a good bass player, that means you'd be a good guitar player, so they just play that since it's more glamorous.

FYI, I know they are more expensive because the lower octaves the bass plays in requires bigger tubes and tougher plastic. I just felt like venting about bad bass players...
Trust me dude, I know. I personally have always thought I was ok at best, but I keep being told that I'm pretty good. I just have a very unconventional style because I didn't really learn to play guitar first. In high school most of my friends were guitarists and it was beneath them to play bass, so I picked it up. I really just never went back to guitar afterwards.

Tunaphish429
05-12-2011, 03:52 PM
Nice man, what genre of music do you guys play?

I played guitar in a punk band for a few years. I had to quit once I started grad school, which lead to the band breaking up. I still feel like sh*t over it, but we were never going to get signed. I had to be realistic. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it though. I might pick it back up once I finish this program and have more free time...

Punk stuff...Not too crusty. We really only practice once a week for about 2 hours..Its fun I cant wait to record.. Yea its not easy getting signed..It takes alot of time and money..You did the right thing..We all have full time jobs and stuff so were just having fun..nothing too serious..All tho I do take the music serious...I dont care where it takes us...

Tunaphish429
05-12-2011, 03:54 PM
Trust me dude, I know. I personally have always thought I was ok at best, but I keep being told that I'm pretty good. I just have a very unconventional style because I didn't really learn to play guitar first. In high school most of my friends were guitarists and it was beneath them to play bass, so I picked it up. I really just never went back to guitar afterwards.

I love playing bass its alot of fun...Most ppl dont appreciate a good base-line...most non musicans have no idea what a bass is..

Valandui
05-12-2011, 04:05 PM
I love playing bass its alot of fun...Most ppl dont appreciate a good base-line...most non musicans have no idea what a bass is..
Definitely. I really like to do different things than the guitarists are doing but still fit. The only bad thing is that sometimes you get guitarists who insist that you play the exact same thing as them and don't realize how much harder it is with the bigger frets. The particular guitarist I'm talking about is also left handed but learned to play right handed, so he also doesn't understand how other people can't fret as fast as he can.

Tunaphish429
05-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Definitely. I really like to do different things than the guitarists are doing but still fit. The only bad thing is that sometimes you get guitarists who insist that you play the exact same thing as them and don't realize how much harder it is with the bigger frets. The particular guitarist I'm talking about is also left handed but learned to play right handed, so he also doesn't understand how other people can't fret as fast as he can.

Especially on a bass..It aint easy.

What kind of music do you guys like?

Inspirations?

I am huge NOFX fan..Fat Mike is an amazing writer and bassist in general..Guy plays so fast..

I think too that some guitarists dont get it..Music is about layers...Why would he want you playing the same exact thing? Thats boring.. Fils and Licks sound so sweet when done right.

Locke
05-12-2011, 04:25 PM

I hope I didn't offend you bud. I didn't mean all bass players by any means. It just seems like every scene kid who wants to be in a band picks up a bass since it's the easiest to learn, which leads to a watered down group of really bad bass players. Same thing happens with singers. Everyone wants to sing, whether they're good at it or not. Plus, with this new metal kick, they all try the throaty growling and fail horribly at it.

I have an unconventional style too. I taught myself in my spare time, so I never got shown proper technique or anything. I used to get people coming up to me after shows giving advice on how to "correct my problem". I just laughed it off, I'm not trying to be Santana or Nugent or anything here. I tried playing bass a few times out of curiosity. I think I'm just too used to the smaller guitar strings. My fingers were tired after only 10 minutes on bass. So I have much respect for good bass players. It's easy to learn, but pretty tough to be good at.

Valandui
05-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Inspirations?

I am huge NOFX fan..Fat Mike is an amazing writer and bassist in general..Guy plays so fast..

I think too that some guitarists dont get it..Music is about layers...Why would he want you playing the same exact thing? Thats boring.. Fils and Licks sound so sweet when done right.
I mostly play metal. I play finger style and it's hard for me to hit triplets, but bass doesn't necessarily go at the same speed. One of my heroes on bass is Steve DiGiorgio. dude is insane. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZWMGIF3b-c

And no, I'm not anywhere close to being as good as him.

Valandui
05-12-2011, 04:30 PM
I hope I didn't offend you bud. I didn't mean all bass players by any means. It just seems like every scene kid who wants to be in a band picks up a bass since it's the easiest to learn, which leads to a watered down group of really bad bass players. Same thing happens with singers. Everyone wants to sing, whether they're good at it or not. Plus, with this new metal kick, they all try the throaty growling and fail horribly at it.

I have an unconventional style too. I taught myself in my spare time, so I never got shown proper technique or anything. I used to get people coming up to me after shows giving advice on how to "correct my problem". I just laughed it off, I'm not trying to be Santana or Nugent or anything here. I tried playing bass a few times out of curiosity. I think I'm just too used to the smaller guitar strings. My fingers were tired after only 10 minutes on bass. So I have much respect for good bass players. It's easy to learn, but pretty tough to be good at.
You didn't offend me at all. I was actually agreeing with you, just in a long and more drawn out than necessary way.

Locke
05-12-2011, 04:34 PM

Inspirations?

Haha, my inspirations would be a laundry list.

The Ataris
Counting Crows
Alexisonfire
Blink 182
The Offspring
Bayside - hands down my biggest inspiration. Absolutely amazing band.
Silverstein
Lucero

Just to name a few. I grew up listening to the 90s Seattle grunge, which is what really got me into the music scene. Kurt Cobain, to this day, is still one of my all time favorite musicians...

Valandui
05-12-2011, 04:35 PM
BTW, I totally agree on the singing thing as well. I'm actually a really good singer, but when I start a band with the intention of me singing, I keep playing bass out of necessity until we can find a new bassist and get replaced as the singer instead. I'm not the best screamer, so I'm sure that's a big part of it as well.

Locke
05-12-2011, 04:39 PM
BTW, I totally agree on the singing thing as well. I'm actually a really good singer, but when I start a band with the intention of me singing, I keep playing bass out of necessity until we can find a new bassist and get replaced as the singer instead. I'm not the best screamer, so I'm sure that's a big part of it as well.

I wish I could say the same. I can shout and scream, so I'd have some vocals for that, but nothing singing. I could probably be a singer in Boston punk-style band, like Blood For Blood or something, but that's only because they just shout really...

Valandui
05-12-2011, 04:45 PM

The Ataris
Counting Crows
Alexisonfire
Blink 182
The Offspring
Silverstein
Lucero

Just to name a few. I grew up listening to the 90s Seattle grunge, which is what really got me into the music scene. Kurt Cobain, to this day, is still one of my all time favorite musicians...
I got started on classic rock when I was very young and took a long journey through pop and rap back to it. I regret a lot of the music I listened to in high school, but I was pretty big on grunge as well. Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are still two of my favorite bands, although I kind of feel like Alice in Chains just got lumped in since they came out of Seattle at the same time. They're more stoner metal than anything to me.

My inspirations right now (constantly changing as they are) would probably be:

Devin Townsend (without a doubt the top one)
Cynic
Disillusion
The Ocean
Dark Tranquillity
Kamelot
Andromeda
Borknagar
At the Gates
The Absence
Iced Earth

Just off the top of my head.

Valandui
05-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I wish I could say the same. I can shout and scream, so I'd have some vocals for that, but nothing singing. I could probably be a singer in Boston punk-style band, like Blood For Blood or something, but that's only because they just shout really...
Just talk really loudly Madball style.

Valandui
05-12-2011, 04:51 PM
This guy (Christian Alvestram) is without a doubt one of my biggest influences vocally. His range, especially going from intense screaming to crazy operatic at the drop of a hat is insane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mebSi4PDC34

EDIT: It's very telling when Scar Symmetry had to get two singers to replace him and neither of them are as good as him.

Locke
05-12-2011, 05:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BfUk6bAYEk

Ignoring the emo crap in the video, this dude is probably my favorite singer. He goes from straight screaming to clean vocals at the drop of a hat, no issues at all. If I could sing half as well as him, I'd be happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvrwbSC7MM

Musically, I love these guys. With all the pop punk crap being churned out by douchebags like Good Charlotte, its nice having these around keeping true to what punk is supposed to be...

Tunaphish429
05-13-2011, 12:30 AM

The Ataris
Counting Crows
Alexisonfire
Blink 182
The Offspring
Silverstein
Lucero

sick dude ...so we listen alot of the sAme stuff...i m going to philly too see strung out n face to face. should be ill, saw string out in nj not too long ago sick show melted my face. i m just starting to get into bayside ..they r coming to buff in a few weeks ...

Tunaphish429
05-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Just talk really loudly Madball style.

i cant sing with my throat but i can sing from my diophram. so i could never sing the stuff i wanna play
i scream and shout well
breathing can be tricky for me when singing from my throat

Tunaphish429
05-13-2011, 12:39 AM
I mostly play metal. I play finger style and it's hard for me to hit triplets, but bass doesn't necessarily go at the same speed. One of my heroes on bass is Steve DiGiorgio. dude is insane. Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZWMGIF3b-c

And no, I'm not anywhere close to being as good as him.

check out death of john smith by nofx and the decline. the intro bass is so fast and amazing. you can u tube that.

Tunaphish429
05-13-2011, 12:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BfUk6bAYEk

Ignoring the emo crap in the video, this dude is probably my favorite singer. He goes from straight screaming to clean vocals at the drop of a hat, no issues at all. If I could sing half as well as him, I'd be happy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvrwbSC7MM

Musically, I love these guys. With all the pop punk crap being churned out by douchebags like Good Charlotte, its nice having these around keeping true to what punk is supposed to be...

i dont know if i agree about punk being a certain way. i think its meant to be All over ...one band i am into right now is go radio alot of slow somber piano tracks but they have great melody after all these years i realized thats what i was after. some of the softest songs envoke so much emotion based just on melody. does not matter how crusty or fast it is if it has that melody that hits home i am there. bad relgion and others just have it. i was put off by silversteins older stuff just not enough melody. there newer stuff has that balance that i like from underoath. their only chasing saftey is all time for me

Valandui
05-13-2011, 02:22 AM
check out death of john smith by nofx and the decline. the intro bass is so fast and amazing. you can u tube that.
That is pretty good. This is another guy I came across. He used to be in Reflux and Animosity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8e8qXxwDu8

Locke
05-13-2011, 11:20 AM
sick dude ...so we listen alot of the sAme stuff...i m going to philly too see strung out n face to face. should be ill, saw string out in nj not too long ago sick show melted my face. i m just starting to get into bayside ..they r coming to buff in a few weeks ...

Strung Out is probably one of the best shows I've ever been to. It was a small stage here call The Launchpad, fits maybe 300 people at most. Place was rocking. I just caught Bayside here this weekend, kind of. They played a secret show with The Swellers, was just a cameo really. Their singer was sick and couldn't perform, but the rest of the band did a half-set with The Swellers. Was pretty awesome. This city kind of gets the shaft with good shows. The Take Action tour stopped in every major city around NM, but not in NM. Kind of messed up...

Locke
05-13-2011, 11:36 AM
i dont know if i agree about punk being a certain way. i think its meant to be All over ...one band i am into right now is go radio alot of slow somber piano tracks but they have great melody after all these years i realized thats what i was after. some of the softest songs envoke so much emotion based just on melody. does not matter how crusty or fast it is if it has that melody that hits home i am there. bad relgion and others just have it. i was put off by silversteins older stuff just not enough melody. there newer stuff has that balance that i like from underoath. their only chasing saftey is all time for me

Punk can be any way it wants to be, but the crappy pop punk junk like Good Charlotte is turning it mainstream, which pretty much goes against everything it was started for. Punk was meant to be rebellious. It was supposed to go against the mainstream. It was supposed to be anti-government, anti-establishment, anti-religion, and anti-war (which is why "Christian Punk Rock" bands are made fun of so much). Rise Against and Bad Religion may be the only true punk rock bands left. The other alternative is good pop punk, like Bayside, NOFX, The Offspring, Newfound Glory, The Ataris, etc., which I love. I played in a hybrid punk-pop punk band. I guess I'm just disappointed with how punk is dying and being replaced by crap...

Tunaphish429
05-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Punk can be any way it wants to be, but the crappy pop punk junk like Good Charlotte is turning it mainstream, which pretty much goes against everything it was started for. Punk was meant to be rebellious. It was supposed to go against the mainstream. It was supposed to be anti-government, anti-establishment, anti-religion, and anti-war (which is why "Christian Punk Rock" bands are made fun of so much). Rise Against and Bad Religion may be the only true punk rock bands left. The other alternative is good pop punk, like Bayside, NOFX, The Offspring, Newfound Glory, The Ataris, etc., which I love. I played in a hybrid punk-pop punk band. I guess I'm just disappointed with how punk is dying and being replaced by crap...

Good Charlotte was getting popular they kinda fell off, they are complete trash... Underoath is a christian hardcore/Metalcore band..or whatever you wanna call..I really dont care what they sing about..Does not bother me...I like their music so its all good... Propaghandi is one of my favs..I dont know if I consider NOFX pop punk... Bad Relgion, Nofx, Offspring and those other 90's style punk bands actually think of themselves as "Hardcore bands" because of the speed of the music.. Fast kickers and such.. Even tho you and I know "Hardcore" as bands like Earth Crisis hailing from my home town syracuse.. The Casualties have that speed but are def alot crustier....The problem that I have is the money that is being made off all this and the corporate sponsorship... Some bands dont care...but others do..So you cant say you hate the establishment then sign on with the warped tour... Propaghandi has a song about that..Called " Rock for a sustainable Capatlism" Great song..the lyrics are amazing..Its really a great song on a horrible album....The lyrics are def going at Fat Mike... I am sure you have heard "Seperation of Church and Skate" by Nofx? Line is that song is "When did punk rock become so safe"? Well Chris and Prop..Use taht in RFSC.."When did punk rock become so safe? Well excuse me if I laugh in your face, While I itemize your reciepts and powerpoint your balance sheets" Really thats going right at Mike and Fat wreck.. I cant help but think that its not a coincedence that it was Propaghandi last album on Fat Wreck and was awful...I think they were sand bagging cause every other album is pretty amazing..I have never read that a feud was confirmed but it was obvious to me when NOFX responded on 60% (reprised)

Locke
05-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Good Charlotte was getting popular they kinda fell off, they are complete trash... Underoath is a christian hardcore/Metalcore band..or whatever you wanna call..I really dont care what they sing about..Does not bother me...I like their music so its all good... Propaghandi is one of my favs..I dont know if I consider NOFX pop punk... Bad Relgion, Nofx, Offspring and those other 90's style punk bands actually think of themselves as "Hardcore bands" because of the speed of the music.. Fast kickers and such.. Even tho you and I know "Hardcore" as bands like Earth Crisis hailing from my home town syracuse.. The Casualties have that speed but are def alot crustier....The problem that I have is the money that is being made off all this and the corporate sponsorship... Some bands dont care...but others do..So you cant say you hate the establishment then sign on with the warped tour... Propaghandi has a song about that..Called " Rock for a sustainable Capatlism" Great song..the lyrics are amazing..Its really a great song on a horrible album....The lyrics are def going at Fat Mike... I am sure you have heard "Seperation of Church and Skate" by Nofx? Line is that song is "When did punk rock become so safe"? Well Chris and Prop..Use taht in RFSC.."When did punk rock become so safe? Well excuse me if I laugh in your face, While I itemize your reciepts and powerpoint your balance sheets" Really thats going right at Mike and Fat wreck.. I cant help but think that its not a coincedence that it was Propaghandi last album on Fat Wreck and was awful...I think they were sand bagging cause every other album is pretty amazing..I have never read that a feud was confirmed but it was obvious to me when NOFX responded on 60% (reprised)

Yeah, I don't mind Christian bands. I just find "Christian punk" to be pretty hypocritical. I still listen to them, but I just think it is religion trying to take over other facets of society that they have no foothold on. I completely agree about these bands selling out to corporations. I think that's why I love Rise Against and Bayside so much. Both of them do it for the music, and the fame/fortune/whatever comes a distant second. Fall Out Boy is a good example of a band that was f*cking awesome, then sold out and turned into complete garbage. Their album "Take This to Your Grave" is one of the best pop punk albums ever released. I barely even recognize the horse sh*t they are trying to pass off as music now. Good bands selling out is one of the most frustrating things around...

Tunaphish429
05-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I don't mind Christian bands. I just find "Christian punk" to be pretty hypocritical. I still listen to them, but I just think it is religion trying to take over other facets of society that they have no foothold on. I completely agree about these bands selling out to corporations. I think that's why I love Rise Against and Bayside so much. Both of them do it for the music, and the fame/fortune/whatever comes a distant second. Fall Out Boy is a good example of a band that was f*cking awesome, then sold out and turned into complete garbage. Their album "Take This to Your Grave" is one of the best pop punk albums ever released. I barely even recognize the horse sh*t they are trying to pass off as music now. Good bands selling out is one of the most frustrating things around...

Yea I will admit I still like Fallout Boy.. Tho their newest album is not great..But they have alot of great melody but are getting to the point where its getting old..

Valandui
05-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Underoath's first two albums were pretty close to being death metal and were great. I've also found that some of the Christian black and death metal bands are some of the heaviest ones out there. If you're into that stuff, Extol's Undecieved, Crimson Moonlight's Veil of Remembrance, and anything by Becoming the Archetype are great. Antestor's The Forsaken and Renascent's Through Darkness are two of the best black metal albums I've ever heard.

Bumpus
05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Did you try stabbing it?

(...too soon?)

Locke
05-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Did you try stabbing it?

(...too soon?)

:lol:

It took me a minute to get it...

Tunaphish429
05-16-2011, 11:02 PM