PDA

View Full Version : Coming to America

ROADRUNNER
05-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Well boy's and girl's i cant make up my mind what to do.
#1 I would love to go to Miami and watch a game and spend two week there.
#2 or we are all going to Walt Disney World for two week's.
#3 or Universal Orlando Resort for two week's.

It will be myself, my good woman, and my two son's 5 and 7 at the moment.
Looking to go in 2015, give me time to save up............:lol:
What do you all think..............:up:

BobDole
05-24-2011, 11:20 AM
i think that's a really long way into the future ...

Ricky_Fan34
05-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Tough call. You could always go to Orlando for the 2 weeks and then drive down to Miami for a game one day. Not sure if you could afford that but that's a nice alternative. I imagine it's about a 3 hour drive from Orlando to Miami but I'm not sure.

ROADRUNNER
05-24-2011, 11:26 AM
i think that's a really long way into the future ...

God is not coming to get me.............:lol:

Ye it look's a long time away but were going back to spain in 2 years time, then i want my holiday in the Us OF A.
My boy's will be older and i would think they would appreciate America more.

ROADRUNNER
05-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Tough call. You could always go to Orlando for the 2 weeks and then drive down to Miami for a game one day. Not sure if you could afford that but that's a nice alternative. I imagine it's about a 3 hour drive from Orlando to Miami but I'm not sure.

Money is no problem, but i dont want to drive full stop.

Arsenal WV
05-24-2011, 11:32 AM
You should come next year. Leave the wifey and kids at home. Fly over. Catch a Fins game and go out with JCane and get blown by an American Stripper

win-win situation my Scotish friend.

BobDole
05-24-2011, 11:34 AM
God is not coming to get me.............:lol:

Ye it look's a long time away but were going back to spain in 2 years time, then i want my holiday in the Us OF A.
My boy's will be older and i would think they would appreciate America more.

gotcha. kiddies would obviously enjoy universal/islands of adventure more (there are some pretty intense roller coasters in ioa so you'll like it too) - but being if you make the trip to florida you almost have to hit up a dolphin game - so both would be the only logical answer. universal is expensive as balls (try to get a florida resident to get your tix for you) and it's about a 4 and a half hour drive to the stadium - which is conveniently located in the most expensive city on the planet - so save up i guess. you've got time. :lol:

ROADRUNNER
05-24-2011, 11:39 AM
You should come next year. Leave the wifey and kids at home. Fly over. Catch a Fins game and go out with JCane and get blown by an American Stripper

win-win situation my Scotish friend.

.............:lol:

Ricky_Fan34
05-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Money is no problem, but i dont want to drive full stop.
Well how old will your kids be in 2015? If they are older than 9 or 10, I would write off Disney, because it just won't be the same for them. I don't know anything about Universal Orlando resort so if it comes down to that, I would go to Miami. There is so much to do in Miami for all age groups, so that is probably the best overall vacation. Not quite as flashy as Disney, but overall IMO a very good vacation. A good time to go would probably be September or October. That way you can still catch the tail end of the beach season and also be able to go to some Dolphins games.

CedarPhin
05-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Islands of Adventure kicks ***. Last time I was there was like 10 years ago, but it was pretty awesome.

ROADRUNNER
05-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Well how old will your kids be in 2015? If they are older than 9 or 10, I would write off Disney, because it just won't be the same for them. I don't know anything about Universal Orlando resort so if it comes down to that, I would go to Miami. There is so much to do in Miami for all age groups, so that is probably the best overall vacation. Not quite as flashy as Disney, but overall IMO a very good vacation. A good time to go would probably be September or October. That way you can still catch the tail end of the beach season and also be able to go to some Dolphins games.

Thank's they will be 9 and 11, so it's down to Universal Orlando and Miami............

CedarPhin
05-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Just take the FL Turnpike down from Orlando if you're going to be there for 2 weeks. Maybe make a 2 day trip of it and catch a Hurricanes game too.

ROADRUNNER
05-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Islands of Adventure kicks ***. Last time I was there was like 10 years ago, but it was pretty awesome.

Is that the one in Orlando or another one.............

CedarPhin
05-24-2011, 11:49 AM
It's in Orlando. It's part of Universal, but it's a different park. I think. I could be wrong. When I was there, the Hulk coaster was all the rage.

NY8123
05-24-2011, 11:50 AM
IMO - I just hit Disney and Orlando three years ago when my son was 10. We hit Disney, Animal Kingdom (2 days) and then Universal (2 days). You could more then cover most of those parks in a weeks time if you have a plan and stick to it. Leaving a week for adult R&R time on a beach in Miami and maybe a game.

After pushing your way through the parks for a week you are going to need some adult time man! Also don't count out a rental property in the Kissimmee area, I rented a three bedroom house for 4 days and it was great, I cooked some food for breakfast and then ate dinner when we got back from the parks, it saved me a **** load of money. The hot tube was nice after walking all day too!

After 4 days I motored over to my friends house in the Melbourne area and drank my face off for the rest of the week lol. I needed it after the parks but the experience you have with your kids at those parks is worth every penny. At least it was for me being a single father for 12 out of 13 years of my sons life, it was one of, if not the best experience in my life.

You have so much time to plan you can do almost everything on your list for a reasonable price, I bet. Never settle for less when you can have more is the way I look at it when it comes to family.

Ricky_Fan34
05-24-2011, 11:50 AM
Thank's they will be 9 and 11, so it's down to Universal Orlando and Miami............
Do your wife and kids enjoy football? If so I think Miami is the clearcut choice. Honestly it boils down to what you and your family want to do, I'm just giving a few tips. Like I said, I don't know anything about Universal Orlando but I can tell you that Miami is always a good time. I've been down there 3 or 4 times and have enjoyed myself every time. Fantastic environment and you never run out of things to do.

Don't be fooled by the fact that it's fall though, you can and WILL get sunburned if you're not careful. I went down in 2007 for a wedding in Boca Raton in March. I went out to West Palm Beach for about 2 or 3 hours and got roasted. To this day it's still the worst sun burn I've ever had. That night at the wedding was absolutely brutal. It killed to just sit and try to eat dinner. I still have freckles on my back from where the sunburn was the worst.

ROADRUNNER
05-24-2011, 11:57 AM
IMO - I just hit Disney and Orlando three years ago when my son was 10. We hit Disney, Animal Kingdom (2 days) and then Universal (2 days). You could more then cover most of those parks in a weeks time if you have a plan and stick to it. Leaving a week for adult R&R time on a beach in Miami and maybe a game.

After pushing your way through the parks for a week you are going to need some adult time man! Also don't count out a rental property in the Kissimmee area, I rented a three bedroom house for 4 days and it was great, I cooked some food for breakfast and then ate dinner when we got back from the parks, it saved me a **** load of money. The hot tube was nice after walking all day too!

After 4 days I motored over to my friends house in the Melbourne area and drank my face off for the rest of the week lol. I needed it after the parks but the experience you have with your kids at those parks is worth every penny. At least it was for me being a single father for 12 out of 13 years of my sons life, it was one of, if not the best experience in my life.

You have so much time to plan you can do almost everything on your list for a reasonable price, I bet. Never settle for less when you can have more is the way I look at it when it comes to family.

Man that sounds like you had a great time.................

Vaark
05-24-2011, 12:01 PM
7-10 days in Orlando and then a day at Cape Canaveral

5 days including game Sunday in Miami/Ft Lauderdale (you'll be here during snowbird season which means it's likely there'll be some cool weekend area festivals aside from Parrot Jungle Island (and then dinner in adjacent South Beach), the Miami Seaquarium, Lion County Safari, time permitting up in Loxahatchee

3-5 days tripical down in Key West

and you have a perfect 2 1/2 - 3 week vacation. Who knows, you may like it so much, we have plenty of prisons down here with convicts always being transported back and forth to court :idk:

PS: you can always find someone to park your kids with and then take the short flight over to the Bahamas to have our resident 3rd world terrorist show you around.

Arsenal WV
05-24-2011, 12:11 PM
I did get to see a Shuttle launch into space when I was down in Florida. I must have been 9 or 10. It was an awesome thing. I was 4-5 miles away from the shuttle across some river. When it took off, it felt like an eartquake. Set off car alarms all over the place. Yeah, 5 miles away.

ROADRUNNER
05-24-2011, 12:13 PM
7-10 days in Orlando and then a day at Cape Canaveral

5 days including game Sunday in Miami/Ft Lauderdale (you'll be here during snowbird season which means it's likely there'll be some cool weekend area festivals aside from Parrot Jungle Island (and then dinner in adjacent South Beach), the Miami Seaquarium, Lion County Safari, time permitting up in Loxahatchee

3-5 days tripical down in Key West

and you have a perfect 2 1/2 - 3 week vacation. Who knows, you may like it so much, we have plenty of prisons down here with convicts always being transported back and forth to court :idk:

PS: you can always find someone to park your kids with and then take the short flight over to the Bahamas to have our resident 3rd world terrorist show you around.

It's not a working holiday.............:lol:

WeVie
05-27-2011, 01:46 AM
I think if it were me, I would do 4 to 5 days for each one. That way, you could do everything you wanted. I would think after four days at Disney, that would be enough for anyone.

JCane
05-27-2011, 01:54 AM
I'm really upset that this isn't a thread about Eddie Murphy's best movie.

Bumpus
05-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Or you could just skip the over-hyped destinations of Florida and come to:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/05/west_virginia_wild_and_wonderful_2_bumpe-1.jpg

Extreme sports:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/05/20060908gorgeap6_450-1.jpg
(Base or Bungee jumping from the 876' tall New River Gorge Bridge)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/05/3560587517_2fc4276579-1.jpg
(White water rafting on some of our world renown Class VI rapids)

Local culture:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif
(Some of the world's finest banjo pickers)

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/05/TLOpagepic-1.jpg
(Sample some of Popcorn Sutton's famous 'shine)

Nightlife:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/05/campfire1-1.jpg
(Swapping stories by the fire over a "few" cold ones)

Gain your 15 minutes:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/05/mothman1-1.jpg
(Opportunities for fame include capturing the elusive Mothman)

Your family won't even get homesick:

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/05/appalachian_mountains12048-1.jpg

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2011/05/appalachian_mountains12056-1.jpg

Plus - Your family wont go home with a massive sunburn:

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

WeVie
05-27-2011, 10:20 AM
I'm really upset that this isn't a thread about Eddie Murphy's best movie.

His best?? I really liked it but I think maybe the Beverly Hills Cop movies are his best.

WeVie
05-27-2011, 10:21 AM
Is that a real sunburn? That is nasty!!

Kdawg954
06-14-2011, 07:18 PM
His best?? I really liked it but I think maybe the Beverly Hills Cop movies are his best.

Nah, although Rosewood and Taggert were jokes in the first 2, and Trading Places is also jokes, nothing beats Coming to America. So many classic lines and comedy. The Barbershop scenes are truly comedic history.

Kdawg954
06-14-2011, 07:22 PM
If the kids are 9 and 11 . . . you gotta do Orlando for atleast a week . . . do your best to stay on property . . . if the kids like Harry Potter, do Universal/IOA definitely. You could always fly into Miami on a Thursday . . . party and catch a game Fri - Sun, take a midweek cruise to the Carribbean M - F, and then drive up to Orlando F - Th and fly home. In Orlando, you either do Disney . . . or skip Disney and do Universal/IOA/SeaWorld/WetnWild.

2015 lol . . . yea you have plenty of time to save